Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

That's heart wrenching. Toriyama may make this stuff up on the spot, but he sure is good at making it work/

Anybody gonna talk about Android 19's origins too.

Turns out chubbos the clown was a doll, not even human. he was some war trophy that Gero kept and decided to convert.

Well, he was more based on the doll, not actually the doll itself (it'd be a pretty big ass doll if it were).

And we knew 19 was never a human to begin with anyway :U

When was it ever stated that 19 was never human before the Q&A?

I'm just going off based on the translated Q&A:

Q5: Was there a model for Artificial Human No. 19?

No. 19′s model was a doll!

The model for No. 19 was a doll that was displayed in the command center of an enemy base. Way back when, Dr. Gero took it back with him as a war trophy.

I thought it was always stated 19 was never a human from the moment it was classified as an "artificial construct" android (i.e. Androids 8 and 16 - who themselves were never born human, though 16 was based off of one) - in other words, 100% mechanical, while 17 and 18 are pretty much "organic androids" - I believe the manga points out somewhere that their enhancements are more or less organic with the only mechanical parts being their self destruct devices, which makes sense given their grand purpose as walking Cell DLC.

16 is now another story all together, but thats for another conversation.

19 was never confirmed to be human or non-human, just that it was an android. there was never much back story given to 19 so it was entirely possible he could've been full converted instead of 99% converted (Gero) or organic androids (Lapis and Lazuli...god I have to get used to these names...)

I'm at least fairly sure that it was said somewhere that 17, 18 and 20 were the only androids who were once human.

But blah, whatever :U

I'm at least fairly sure that it was said somewhere that 17, 18 and 20 were the only androids who were once human.

But blah, whatever :U

Well, 17,18, and 20 are technically cyborgs but let's not go down that road.

I don't think it's said that 16 is Gero's son, but that he was designed after him since his son was already dead a long time ago anyway (unless he somehow preserved his son's body). When his son died is another mystery; it could've been before he started creating the Artificial Humans for the Red Ribbon Army (which may have prompted that research) or it's even possible his son was one of the soldiers Goku killed and Gero's research was well underway in that field (but that seems unlikely since it's mentioned he was shot) (oh we all know the latter's not possible).

And though I know Toriyama just made this up... I like that it adds an interesting, albeit somewhat contradictory, layer to an otherwise standard evil scientist villain (especially considering all of his other creations are decidedly killing machines and let's not forget he kidnapped a couple of runaways, gutted them and turned them into cyborgs).

Ha, this makes me want to go back and watch the Artificial Humans/Cell arc. It has some cool moments, though it's not my favorite story arc in the Z part of the series (Buu is my favorite after Saiyan and parts of Freeza).

Yeah, I kinda sorta mentioned that a while back when I said 16 was based off a human, but wasn't one - he's pretty much Astro Boy; he looks like a dead human, but he's not actually the human, just a robot who happens to look like him.

And I just tend to list the cyborgs with the androids because I don't wanna list Androids 1-16, then say "Cyborg" 17-18, then use "Android" for 19 and then go back to "Cyborg" for 20 - I just prefer to colloquially call them Androids.

Think of it as me calling the Transformers bad guys "Decepticons" instead of "Seekers, Predacons, Constructicons, Insecticons, *insert all combiners and sub-groups here*".

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I kinda sorta mentioned that a while back when I said 16 was based off a human, but wasn't one - he's pretty much Astro Boy; he looks like a dead human, but he's not actually the human, just a robot who happens to look like him.

And I just tend to list the cyborgs with the androids because I don't wanna list Androids 1-16, then say "Cyborg" 17-18, then use "Android" for 19 and then go back to "Cyborg" for 20 - I just prefer to colloquially call them Androids.

Think of it as me calling the Transformers bad guys "Decepticons" instead of "Seekers, Predacons, Constructicons, Insecticons, *insert all combiners and sub-groups here*".

Oops, I must've missed that, my bad.

And, nah, I get what you mean. I tend to just go with "Artificial Humans" even if that's not fully descriptive of the entire line either (though it oddly works well with Cell, given he's completely organic). It's close enough to allow some wiggle room on the definition compared to "android," even if when you read it, it still implies that the ones that actually are cyborgs... aren't. Or maybe that's just me... It probably doesn't help that FUNimation's old dub actually added to the confusion regarding the nature of 17 and 18 in particular, by outright stating they were androids only to have to clean it up later when 18 had a kid with Krillin (especially since the two actually state in the JPN version that they were human, so this was just an unnecessary change by the script writers).

• 4 weeks later...

Dang! You beat me to it.

Here's the trailer, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUJHZekAz3Q

• Thumbs Up 2

I was quite happy to hear Sean Schemmel shout the Kamehameha, so I'm looking forward to hearing the current Kai cast in this. I doubt it'll be screening near me in the future, but it's nice knowing I have a home video release to look forward to.

So long as FUNi keeps up their current practices and don't make unnecessary alterations because "loldragonball" I think this'll be great.

Yeah, outside of the new Blu-ray sets, FUNi's been treating Dragon Ball with respect lately.

Schemmel, while not my ideal Goku, has gotten so much better over the years. His Kamehameha in the trailer was awesome. I'm also looking forward to hearing more of Jason Douglas as Beerus.

Yeah, outside of the new Blu-ray sets, FUNi's been treating Dragon Ball with respect lately.

Schemmel, while not my ideal Goku, has gotten so much better over the years. His Kamehameha in the trailer was awesome. I'm also looking forward to hearing more of Jason Douglas as Beerus.

As far as English Gokus go, Schemmel's been my guy for a long time. I honestly can't imagine a different voice, save for Nozawa. I do agree he's come a long way since the early days though. He's really gained some solid acting chops.

And Beers's actor was already announced? When did that happen?

Schemmel is the best English voice Goku has, but yeah, Nozawa is definitely Goku.

Also, Beerus got an English voice actor when Battle of Z was brought over a few months back.

Schemmel is the best English voice Goku has, but yeah, Nozawa is definitely Goku.

Also, Beerus got an English voice actor when Battle of Z was brought over a few months back.

Oh, I don't have a means to play Battle of Z so I ignored it altogether. I guess it's like when Todd Haberkorn was cast as Tarble in one of the Raging Blast games even though they didn't get the 2008 Jump special yet (hopefully the rights clear on that eventually).

Yep, it was exactly like that. Frankly, I wasn't expecting this to be announced out of the blue like that.laugh.png

Also, I still really want them to dub Cha La Head Cha La (and Hero). I believe some Latin American countries did it... but FUNi seemed to stopped dubbing music all together, though.

Yep, it was exactly like that. Frankly, I wasn't expecting this to be announced out of the blue like that.laugh.png

Also, I still really want them to dub Cha La Head Cha La (and Hero). I believe some Latin American countries did it... but FUNi seemed to stopped dubbing music all together, though.

It probably depends on the licenses, since most anime theme music is licensed music from established bands now, as opposed to being specifically created for the show (that or it's cheaper to not do it at all, I guess). They might finally dub them, since they did some of Kai's music, but even that was a little inconsistent (why the hell didn't they dub "Saiyan Blood"?! I'd have loved to hear Chris Sabat on that song!). I'd love for them to bring it back, especially for "Cha-La Head Cha-La".

I would have loved to hear that, too.

They dubbed Kai before the whole "we're not dubbing vocal songs anymore" thing happened. They said it was because Toei wanted to advertise the musical artists... at least that's what they said for One Piece. Oh well. Here's hoping.

Sean Schemmel is my favorite Goku. And the woman who did his young English voice for young Goku. I don't really like the Japanese voice at all, to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

That isn't the case actually, on most of the world, the themes that played were the (bad) english versions of Hero and Cha-la, because FLOW wouldn't allow them to dub the music.

Looking forward to this. I hear it's a right silly movie, and I love those. People are going to be so misled by the trailer, but even then, a lot of Japanese people were disappointed by this movie too. XD

Hearing Sean Schemmel as Goku is always a treat, just goes to show that even if I watch Abridged more, he'll always be Goku through and through.

Funny how that trailer makes the movie seem more epic than it actually is lol.

Holy christ guys. Imagine Chris Sabat doing Vegeta's dance number

I cant wrap my head around it..