Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Ummm but it doesn't make sense lore wise at all. For example, between the end of Dragon Ball and the beginning of Z it is implied that Goku didn't keep up with his training but he didn't lose his abilities and that was almost 5 years.

And before you say that Goku went through more shit than Gohan, let's remember he started his journey when he was around 10 while Gohan started around 4/5 and fought more powerful enemies and was already Super Saiyan by the time he was 10. So if we're going by that logic then Goku should've been considerably more weaker than Piccolo and Raditz when they fought.

And let's not forget that Gohan didn't train for 7 years between Cell and Buu and he was just a bit weaker, but he didn't lose his abilities at all. But in the 1 or 2 years that has passed since Beerus attacked he suddenly doubts if he could go Super Saiyan or has any strength left?

It's just an asspull for the sake of being an asspull.

Its not well executed in the slightest, but its not completely out of the question. Gohan simply isn't interested in being a fighter like his Dad, so he's not going to train like him.

Its not well executed in the slightest, but its not completely out of the question. Gohan simply isn't interested in being a fighter like his Dad, so he's not going to train like him.

And I understand that. The thing I have a problem is because of what you say, it's just not well executed and goes against everything the manga stated beforehand. Plus, it's really unfair for Gohan as a character since he has surpassed his dad many times only to be brought down to make Goku and the current enemy look better.

After the last movie I was really excited at the prospect of having many alternative universes which would give some characters other than Goku to shine. But the way it's looking it seems it's going to be only Goku and Vegeta.

Granted, it could still happen but I'm not raising my hopes up.

Unfair to Gohan as a character?

From the first episode he debuted in, he never gave a damn about becoming the strongest fighter for the sake of it. He just wants enough power to protect his friends and family; beyond that, his scholarly pursuits always took greater precedence.

With his dad up at bat with a SSJGod transformation, as well as Vegeta looking to take that form himself, and with two gods on their side, Gohan's more than comfortable enough to take it easy and focus on his scholar activities, and his wife and newborn daughter. They can take center stage - Gohan doesn't mind hanging back and taking on the stragglers.

Unfair to Gohan as a character?From the first episode he debuted in, he never gave a damn about becoming the strongest fighter for the sake of it. He just wants enough power to protect his friends and family; beyond that, his scholarly pursuits always took greater precedence.With his dad up at bat with a SSJGod transformation, as well as Vegeta looking to take that form himself, and with two gods on their side, Gohan's more than comfortable enough to take it easy and focus on his scholar activities, and his wife and newborn daughter. They can take center stage - Gohan doesn't mind hanging back and taking on the stragglers.

What I mean it's unfair is the fact that he can be a scholar and all that jazz but it doesn't mean they have to make him a weak fighter in the stupidest way possible.

Throwing away his power like that after not having a normal childhood and teenage years because he had to go against space monkeys, the damn emperor of the universe, a freak science experiment and a demon just because it's quite frankly bullshit and unfair to the sacrifices he made.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind Gohan being pushed to the side, even tho I don't agree with it, I just hate how its come at the expense of the very power that was built up through the entire series. It just really irks the fuck out of me because of how everything played out the way it did simply because Toriyama backpedaled at the last second with him just to give back Goku the spotlight.

Ummm but it doesn't make sense lore wise at all. For example, between the end of Dragon Ball and the beginning of Z it is implied that Goku didn't keep up with his training but he didn't lose his abilities and that was almost 5 years.

And before you say that Goku went through more shit than Gohan, let's remember he started his journey when he was around 10 while Gohan started around 4/5 and fought more powerful enemies and was already Super Saiyan by the time he was 10. So if we're going by that logic then Goku should've been considerably more weaker than Piccolo and Raditz when they fought.

And let's not forget that Gohan didn't train for 7 years between Cell and Buu and he was just a bit weaker, but he didn't lose his abilities at all. But in the 1 or 2 years that has passed since Beerus attacked he suddenly doubts if he could go Super Saiyan or has any strength left?

It's just an asspull for the sake of being an asspull.

For 1 thing, goku wore weighted training Gi, so his body was always being trained in some way and I highly doubt Goku would just stop training, its not in him to do that but cutting back he probably did because he thought the only threat to Earth, Piccolo, was defeated and wouldn't pose a problem for a good while.

Goku was weakest of the 3 when Raditz came, but Piccolo wasn't that strong taking on Raditz by himself and Goku needed to get Gohan back to they teamed up.

Gohan did train-play with goten too during those years with Goten, mind you he didn't start getting serious with him until he found out Goten could become a super saiyan and take a punch. but it does show Gohan did train, just not a whole lot. Gohan does step up to the plate though and becomes a super saiyan, he just second gussing himself:

dragon-ball-z-revival-of-f-6.png

But you gotta understand at the end of the day this IS the Goku show, so Goku is always going to take top billing. but you are right that Gohan shouldn't have had a massive downgrade.

Don't kid yourselves guys it's been the Goku and Vegeta show since 1990. P:

And hey at least Gohan is actually playable in the Dragon Ball video games which always act like the original Dragon Ball series doesn't even exist

• Thumbs Up 5

Actually Vegeta was only ever useful in the Buu Saga, its just his fans like to act like he was central to the entire series....even though he wasn't.

Why does nobody care about Dragon Ball

I still think it's fuckin' dumb that DBZ didn't end with the Cell. The torch was passed to Gohan in one of the most monumentally incredible moments the show ever had and every character had a conclusive arc. Even Vegeta had a moment to shine when Trunks was nearly killed by Cell. 

Then Buu came and cocked it all up. Cool.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then Buu came and cocked it all up. Cool.

Because Execs want Money and Japan prefer Goku to Gohan.

Sucks doesn't it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even have anything against Goku, I love him too. I just how Gohan's character arc was kind null in the long run if he's just demoted back to a Supporting character.

I'm mixed on Gohan's character arc. I actually find it kinda nice in a way that despite being extremely powerful he doesn't want to fight just because he can, there have always been other things he'd rather do than fight. In a series like DB, anyone who is good at fighting loves to fight, which makes Gohan unique and he stands out more because of it.

I've always kinda felt that Gohan coming to terms with the fact that he is insanely strong but still choosing himself to live a mostly peaceful human life is the conclusion to his character arc that his arc had always been building up to from point one.

This wasn't his fight, he did what he had to to protect the peace, but as Piccolo said he's not a "fighter like Goku". Goku has always loved fighting since he was a baby, Gohan didn't. And yeah Gohan came to accept that fighting is an important part of protecting things you care about and also an important part of his own life, but he ultimately decided that he didn't want it to be his livelihood.

Also, I'm overall kinda glad the series stayed focused on Goku bc Goku is the reason I like Dragon Ball (the original series) so much in the first place. SSJ3 Goku is bloody crap though. I can see why people dislike things about the Buu Saga, not just because of Gohan but because of how many different things including Goku were handled.

• Thumbs Up 2

Plot Holes, everyone being pushed aside for Goku to look good, Saiyans ignoring or outright forgetting their best transformations, Gohan going Super instead of Ultimate.

Caaan't help but notice this is slowly turning into GT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plot Holes, everyone being pushed aside for Goku to look good, Saiyans ignoring or outright forgetting their best transformations, Gohan going Super instead of Ultimate.

Caaan't help but notice this is slowly turning into GT.

Oh my god, GT is actually canon and this is foreshadowing it.

Because Execs want Money and Japan prefer Goku to Gohan.

Sucks doesn't it.

That's not right, Toriyama never had any idea on when the series ends, could of ended when Goku had all 7 Dragon Balls or first defeated Picollo. The series was always off the cuff, in the moment.

The simple reason for Goku getting the spotlight over Gohan, is because Toriyama felt that Gohan wasn't the right character to be the main focus.

Toriyama forgot half the stuff he even did for Dragon Ball, he doesn't care what happened in GT, he says liked what they did with it.

So nobody should take Dragon Ball that serious for the lore of it, it supposed to be just entertaining.

The Boo saga was the culmination of Dragon Ball, because it had the fighting and action and the sillyness of early Dragon Ball. Battle of Gods had a similar thing.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm mixed on Gohan's character arc. I actually find it kinda nice in a way that despite being extremely powerful he doesn't want to fight just because he can, there have always been other things he'd rather do than fight. In a series like DB, anyone who is good at fighting loves to fight, which makes Gohan unique and he stands out more because of it.

I've always kinda felt that Gohan coming to terms with the fact that he is insanely strong but still choosing himself to live a mostly peaceful human life is the conclusion to his character arc that his arc had always been building up to from point one.

This wasn't his fight, he did what he had to to protect the peace, but as Piccolo said he's not a "fighter like Goku". Goku has always loved fighting since he was a baby, Gohan didn't. And yeah Gohan came to accept that fighting is an important part of protecting things you care about and also an important part of his own life, but he ultimately decided that he didn't want it to be his livelihood.

Also, I'm overall kinda glad the series stayed focused on Goku bc Goku is the reason I like Dragon Ball (the original series) so much in the first place. SSJ3 Goku is bloody crap though. I can see why people dislike things about the Buu Saga, not just because of Gohan but because of how many different things including Goku were handled.

Like I said, I don't mind it. Its just how it was handled that I despise. I would have no problem at all of Gohan bowing out of the spotlight, if it was done in a logical and cohesive way, instead of the haphazard shit we got in order just to get him out of the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like I said, I don't mind it. Its just how it was handled that I despise. I would have no problem at all of Gohan bowing out of the spotlight, if it was done in a logical and cohesive way, instead of the haphazard shit we got in order just to get him out of the way.

It's because he became a nerd, that's it.

It's because he became a nerd, that's it.

What does this have to do with anything lol.

Since when is "being a nerd" an excuse for shoddy writing :V

• Thumbs Up 2

What does this have to do with anything lol.

Since when is "being a nerd" an excuse for shoddy writing :V

Well Toriyama is a pretty lazy guy, so you have to excuse him for it.

Also lol at Toriyama describing Freeza.

Once the theme, of Freeza’s resurrection at the very least, was set, since Freeza is an extremely distinct character, even a forgetful person like me remembered him well. 

Well not like Toriyama could forget Freeza, since he literally based him on his childhood nightmares.

Why does nobody care about Dragon Ball

Well because it's the better show, for one :V charming, funny, with action, a better art style, and more interest than beamspam and shouting matches :V

• Thumbs Up 4

I need to finish my run of the original Dragon Ball. Of course, I'd have to get the remaining season sets, first.

Haven't seen DBZ in a long time, but the original show is pure brilliance, and I wish it got more attention than it does.

Oh my god, GT is actually canon and this is foreshadowing it.

I loved how Xenoverse danced around it."Ah, these events? Parallel timeline. Yes, that's what they are."

• Thumbs Up 1