Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Huh, well considering the premiere is tomorrow (technically, tonight for those of us in the US) and no word's come up about the series being simulcast or even licensed, I guess it's safe to say Super currently isn't licensed right now and we're probably going to be waiting a while. Bummer if that is indeed the case, but if FUNi still hasn't said anything all this week, I'm not really expecting anything right now.

the opening's not as hype as previous db openings

but it feels good to watch a new db show opening

That reminds me, has any fansubbbing group announced they are picking up the DB Super fansub? looks like theres not gonna be an official sub from Toei just yet.

check the usual places in a few hours, the raw's out already so if anyone's fansubbing it'll be soon

check the usual places in a few hours, the raw's out already so if anyone's fansubbing it'll be soon

I've been out of the loop for a good long while, are Taka and Horriblesubs still usual?

was suggesting more the torrent hubs, if anyone releases anything it'll be on nyaa or tokyotosho. Or even just keeping an ear on /v/ for tomorrow, they love their DB threads.

meanwhile I'm watching the RAW, and I'm liking the humour is kept. Good stuff.

EDIT: I liked the episode, I like the events and sense of humour

I'm just saddened the art's been blandified and had any joy removed from it

Mr. Satan actually has human proportions now, 8 heads tall, instead of the 4-5 Toriyama gave his comedic characters

Poses and expressions aren't exaggerated, that typical "joy/excitement" pose Goku did that normally had him very bent over with a huge smile (that IIRC One Piece then nabbed) became

BAHY9bA.png

yaay?

There was an old man rambling at one point, visually completely boring, there was an ugly giant snake with an ugly texture, etc.

Eeeeeeh.

I don't like Dragon Ball's look much after, say, around the Raditz saga anyways, but eh

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the first episode and it was ok. It's cool that they're taking their time setting up the story and not jump into the action right away.

The only thing that really throws me off is the music. DB, Z and even Gt had great music but I'm not really digging this one (though I had the same problem with Kai's "original" soundtrack.)

This episode basically served to be a "Where are they now" kind of deal, which is alright. Goku was told by Chi-Chi to have a job for six months before he could go train with King Kai, Goten is being home-schooled, Mr. Satan was given the World Peace Prize for saving the world from Majin Buu (The wish from Shenron was to erase Good Buu from the people's memory, everyone just assumes Kid Buu was the one all along.) and people think Good Buu is an alien disciple of Mr. Satan's, and Gohan and Videl are engaged and living in a house Mr. Satan built.

Gohan is rather upset that Videl is able to buy Gohan all sorts of things like that book while he can't do the same for her, but she doesn't mind in the slightest. Goten, however, wants to get Videl a wedding gift, and has Trunks come along. Engagement rings were much too small, and cosmetics cost well above their allowances. But, they overhear the old man complaining that the hot spring water that he can get for free is a much better skin smoother/cleanser than the lotion costing 6,000 Zeni. The two kids head to where the old man told them the spring was at and got the water while fighting that giant snake, and head back to Videl and give her the cosmetic. She realizes it's just water but enjoys the gift nonetheless.

Goku and Goten are found by Mr. Satan, who went to Chi-Chi looking for the two of them. He gives Goku the suitcase filled with the 100 million Zeni that comes with the World Peace Prize, which Goku immediately tries to decline, saying that Mr. Satan deserves it more than he does. But, Mr. Satan feels guilty taking the cash prize, and Vegeta had already declined the money, and the Briefs were wealthier than Mr. Satan was anyway. When Goten tells Goku that with the money, he could go train with King Kai, he finally and reluctantly claims the money, and Mr. Satan only asks they keep this transaction a secret.

Chi-Chi is overjoyed with the money, saying that now she can provide Goten with the best teachers around. Goku asks if he can go train with King Kai now, and she lets him, only asking that he come home every once in a while. Just as Goku leaves, Mr. Roshi dashes in out of nowhere, asking if Goku really did get 100 million Zeni, and that if he did, they could buy "many 'interesting' DVDs" with it. Chi-chi kicks him out of the house for that remark.

Meanwhile, on the Kaioshin planet, Kibitoshin notices that another planet had been destroyed. Beerus, God of Destruction, had been there, and blown it up. In the manga chapter of this episode, Beerus blew the planet up due to being threatened and being fed poison. Here, he enjoyed the drink, complimenting it's salty taste, but condemned the greasy food, and so decides to blow up "only half" of the planet.

I feel like this episode was an attempt to see what they could do with the new and improved animation in an episodic series. It's not quite up there with the BoG movie, but stuff like Goku's Instant Transmission to catch the tractor, Trunks's fight with the snake, Mr. Satan's flashy scene with the press, and the close ups on the woman's and Videl's cheeks are good indicators of the level of detail this new series can provide. We'll see what happens from here.

For those interested (although by now you've seen everything subbed) I uploaded the ending theme, as well as a little clip and the preview for the second episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmnfiyJtqnI  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWAkZlNLsnU 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ2Q6diIrOw 

i will forever be made at how badly Videl was "waifu"-ized since her orignal appearance, she's practically a diffrent character and there's no reason for it.

Videl's character arc revolved around her coming to grips with the fact that Mr. Satan was not the invincible hero everyone made him out to be, so she doesn't have to continue getting strong to satisfy the populace or her dad.

"I'm the daughter of Mr. Satan!" was not just a boast of pride she thought of when she was fighting Spopovich. It was, at that point in time, her purpose in life - to be the one who can follow in his footsteps and be the people's hero. And the thing is, everyone else figured that was her purpose too.

She was really good at it, of course, but, after Buu was finished, she's seen the power of the Saiyans, as well as the power of what everyone in the world could accomplish themselves, even if Hercule was leading the charge, and knows that Mr. Satan could not compare to either of those camps.

So her arc is pretty much complete. She's free to do what she wants without the fear of being compared to her father, because she knows now that that comparison is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

• Thumbs Up 6

Videl's character arc revolved around her coming to grips with the fact that Mr. Satan was not the invincible hero everyone made him out to be, so she doesn't have to continue getting strong to satisfy the populace or her dad.

"I'm the daughter of Mr. Satan!" was not just a boast of pride she thought of when she was fighting Spopovich. It was, at that point in time, her purpose in life - to be the one who can follow in his footsteps and be the people's hero. And the thing is, everyone else figured that was her purpose too.

She was really good at it, of course, but, after Buu was finished, she's seen the power of the Saiyans, as well as the power of what everyone in the world could accomplish themselves, even if Hercule was leading the charge, and knows that Mr. Satan could not compare to either of those camps.

So her arc is pretty much complete. She's free to do what she wants without the fear of being compared to her father, because she knows now that that comparison is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Couldn't have said it better, shes happy to be a background character now she doesn't need nor want the gruff exterior she once had trying to prove herself against the world.

While I can't say I don't agree with this, I will still say that a person doesn't change personality overnight. They could have at least kept her personality. You who know marrying a person doesn't change who you are, and they could have kept some spice in her. I mean look at Chi-Chi.

Until now I'm probably gonna say that the change to Videl is basically they only thing I didn't like about the episode, the rest seems fine.  

Videl and Gohan are two of a kind, honestly. They're both decent fighters with strong sense of justice (hence the matching Saiyaman outfits), but they're no warriors. They can and do help people, but I don't think either of them really enjoy fighting and prefer simpler, peaceful lives away from the battlefield (Gohan almost never trains unless he has to, and the same appears to be true of Videl as well). Granted, I think she softens up a little too quickly, and I think her personality is ever so slightly inconsistent sometimes (movies 10 and 13 seemed to have the tougher Videl, while the end of DBZ/the manga had the easier going, non-action girl Videl), but I am willing to accept that just maybe she was like this but didn't show it until after her rather narrow worldview was changed upon meeting Gohan.

I dunno, I'm fine with it, but at the same time, I hope this doesn't rule out some Saiyaman shenanigans with her and Gohan. Satan City can't be that peaceful.

Couldn't have said it better, shes happy to be a background character now she doesn't need nor want the gruff exterior she once had trying to prove herself against the world.

Im just asying it's just another possible girl fighter in this series that has been expunged (you could've developed her ina way that she wants to become a fighter for her own sake rather then be like her dad rather lose all her fiery spirit, aggression, and wit but whatever), 18 is the only one we've got still.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't have the slightest doubt that if 18 had the ability, she would go back to being an ordinary human. She remains the only strong female fighter because she doesn't really have much of a choice; if Shenron couldn't help her, no one will (except maybe Whis now because who the hell knows what all he's capable of at this point). Her brother is doing all he can to not use his power while raising his adopted sons and as a park ranger, only reason she's still exercising her android strength is because she elected to be part of the Z-fighters by proxy with Krillin, and even then she barely uses it for anything other than personal gain.

For all we know at this point, Videl can still be a feisty little minx. It's just nothing's happened in the Super at this point to facilitate it. We need her in the action or close to it to gauge her actions from there. Until then, she's perfectly fine taking it easy with life, just like Gohan is.

Maybe they can't have that many girl fighters because of how often these characters get their shirts destroyed.

Seriously, though-- warriors or not, I'm bothered by just how little 18, Krillin, Videl and Gohan fight nowadays. I understand that with the exclusion of Gohan they all pale in comparison to Goku's strength, but that didn't stop there being some good fights, even in the Buu saga with these characters.

Maybe it's just also that I'm pissed off that only males can go super saiyan. Even if no situation came up where it could happen, I'm annoyed that they bother to specify. It feels unnecessary and, I daresay, a little sexist.

Maybe they can't have that many girl fighters because of how often these characters get their shirts destroyed.

Seriously, though-- warriors or not, I'm bothered by just how little 18, Krillin, Videl and Gohan fight nowadays. I understand that with the exclusion of Gohan they all pale in comparison to Goku's strength, but that didn't stop there being some good fights, even in the Buu saga with these characters.

Maybe it's just also that I'm pissed off that only males can go super saiyan. Even if no situation came up where it could happen, I'm annoyed that they bother to specify. It feels unnecessary and, I daresay, a little sexist.

Wait they SAID that? What kind of bullshit is that? I was sure that Toryiama stated that girls could go SSJ

There's no evidence for this. The only reason Pan didn't become a Super Saiyan herself is because Toei decided this. Much as I don't want to chuck GT into discontinuity, I'm willing to ignore some cases of Toei's own bullshit.

Newer material, mostly DB Heroes, shows that female Saiyans can transform. The only issue now is that we just aren't going to be seeing Pan in Super, so there's not really a chance to elevate her now. I suppose it could be fixed with the games, but I honestly doubt that'll happen.

I'm pretty sure that I heard someone at a con booth or in a youtube video say it. It might have been someone from TFS?

It's fuzzy in my memory, I'd love it if someone here could prove me wrong.

EDIT:

There's no evidence for this. The only reason Pan didn't become a Super Saiyan herself is because Toei decided this. Much as I don't want to chuck GT into discontinuity, I'm willing to ignore some cases of Toei's own bullshit.

Newer material, mostly DB Heroes, shows that female Saiyans can transform. The only issue now is that we just aren't going to be seeing Pan in Super, so there's not really a chance to elevate her now. I suppose it could be fixed with the games, but I honestly doubt that'll happen.

Okay, yeah. I guess I should have considered everything regarding heroes and Xenoverse. Derpy derp derp derrrrr