Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Yeah, Trunks's timeline is essentially unaltered, and it's stated pretty much outright in the series proper that he and Bulma knew it wouldn't affect their timeline, but they were hoping by keeping Goku alive they could find a weakness for 17 and 18 or just bring Goku into that timeline to fight them. His timeline isn't a dead end, it's an alternate future, just as there's an alternate future where Cell kills Trunks and comes to the present.

Admittedly, Mai really threw things off and I had assumed this was a separate timeline, post-Battle of Gods, where something happened and present timeline Trunks still ends up growing up in a bad future (as of Super, Mai is physically the same age as Trunks), but most confirmations I've seen is that this particular incarnation is the one that we saw in the Artificial Humans/Cell arc. Did she somehow manage to keep her teenage looks (bearing in mind she's older than Bulma), survive the slaughter from 17 and 18 (being a gag character), and teamed up with Trunks when Black Goku appeared...? I mean, that's a stretch, but it's Dragon Ball, so...

I'm pretty interested in seeing what comes of Black Goku, though. He has a pair of black Potara, so MAYBE we're going to see some stuff from the Demon World/Makaioshin finally? Maybe someone like Towa got a hold of Goku's soul in the afterlife of one of Trunks's timeline and brainwashed him? If we're dealing with the same timeline, that's what I'd LIKE to go with, anyway.

Here's the summary apparently:

Spoiler

The episode's plot will start in the future when Earth is free from the Androids' domination. A man named "Black" suddenly appears, and Trunks tries to defend himself. He is no match, even in his Super Saiyan form. Bulma is resolved to make a time machine and ask for help from Goku and Vegeta from the past, but after half a year, she only accumulated enough fuel for the time machine to make a one-way trip. Then, Black appears again before Bulma and Trunks.

Spoiler

Sounds like the villain is actually named Black. Goku Black could be a form similar to when Buu absorbed different people.

So it did overwrite Trunks' original timeline afterall?

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Why would it be overwritten?

1 minute ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

Why would it be overwritten?

28 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Here's the summary apparently:

Reveal hidden contents

The episode's plot will start in the future when Earth is free from the Androids' domination. A man named "Black" suddenly appears, and Trunks tries to defend himself. He is no match, even in his Super Saiyan form. Bulma is resolved to make a time machine and ask for help from Goku and Vegeta from the past, but after half a year, she only accumulated enough fuel for the time machine to make a one-way trip. Then, Black appears again before Bulma and Trunks.

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds like the villain is actually named Black. Goku Black could be a form similar to when Buu absorbed different people.

How does that statement overwrite Trunks's future? I'm very confused.

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

What do you mean? Trunks defeated the Androids after returning to the future.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

What do you mean? Trunks defeated the Androids after returning to the future.

Well I didn't know that he did that, so when the plot said that, I thought it was referring to the timeline where Goku destroyed Cell, and the Androids pulled a turn to heroism.

and wheres super 17

and wheres super 17

The non-canon corner, right there with Baby, Omega Shenron and all the others.

Just now, Ratcicle King said:

The non-canon corner, right there with Baby, Omega Shenron and all the others.

And then it's revealed GT exists in the Universal Tournament arc.

Reminder that it's quite possible, as Toriyama apparently likes GT, so it wouldn't surprise me if he confirmed it as one of the alt universes that diverges after Buu's defeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the final episodes of DBZ focuses on Trunks going back home for good and just wrecking the Androids and Cell. Also, why would this plot be referring to the current timeline we're in when there's always been a distinction made between Present Trunks and Future Trunks? 

10 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

One of the final episodes of DBZ focuses on Trunks going back home for good and just wrecking the Androids and Cell. Also, why would this plot be referring to the current timeline we're in when there's always been a distinction made between Present Trunks and Future Trunks? 

Remember, I thought Xenoverse was canon, which meant since I've yet to see DBZ's finale, outside of the final tourney scene, I thought Future Trunks was a time patroller, while the new Future Trunks grew up with Vegeta alive and trained to fight Goten in the World Tourney.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And then it's revealed GT exists in the Universal Tournament arc.

Uh, no it's not. The Universe 6/Champa arc doesn't even remotely imply this.

GT, for all intents and purposes, is just a potential future of the main timeline, though it's not really acknowledged, especially with Super and the current movies essentially taking after manga rather than anything Toei came up with.

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Uh, no it's not. The Universe 6/Champa arc doesn't even remotely imply this.

GT, for all intents and purposes, is just a potential future of the main timeline, though it's not really acknowledged, especially with Super and the current movies essentially taking after manga rather than anything Toei came up with.

Misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that's what happened. I'm saying it'd be a possible twist. I was kidding towards the non-canon corner joke.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that's what happened. I'm saying it'd be a possible twist. I was kidding towards the non-canon corner joke.

Ah, I think I caught it, but my point still stands. I'm not all that expectant of there being a Toei-verse as one of the possible universes. Universe 6 had some of its own twists on Universe 7, but even then, it's different enough than just having an alternate Goku or whatever (the Saiyans of Universe 6 aren't space pirates and are overall very different, Frost is an alternate Freeza, he just has better publicity, etc.).

Maybe we'll eventually see some canon immigrants (Coola? Please?), but even then I'm not holding my breath going by Super's direction right now.

Just now, Zaysho said:

Ah, I think I caught it, but my point still stands. I'm not all that expectant of their being a Toei-verse as one of the possible universes. Universe 6 had some of its own twists on Universe 7, but even then, it's different enough than just having an alternate Goku or whatever (the Saiyans of Universe 6 aren't space pirates and are overall very different, Frost is an alternate Freeza, he just has better publicity, etc.).

Hey, I'm just saying it's a possibility due to his liking of the series. It's likely won't happen, but it'd be a good final ground for him to hit for those that liked GT for what it was. He says it's non-canon to the main story, but there is a world out there in the DBZ-Verse where the events go down. It'd be a small touch, but it'd be one that could win over GT fans to Super.

21 hours ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

Well, this could be a precursor to Trunks being recruited into the Time Patrol

I'll take this.

Also, I don't mind the whole TrunksxMai thing....they look cute as fuck together...

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Hey, I'm just saying it's a possibility due to his liking of the series. It's likely won't happen, but it'd be a good final ground for him to hit for those that liked GT for what it was. He says it's non-canon to the main story, but there is a world out there in the DBZ-Verse where the events go down. It'd be a small touch, but it'd be one that could win over GT fans to Super.

Toriyama does like stuff Toei did, notably the Bardock special, but even then he doesn't necessarily USE Toei's stuff in his own ideas, or if he does he makes changes that suit him personally (Dragon Ball Minus is... pretty different). It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but not something I'm expecting going by what Super has done so far.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Toriyama does like stuff Toei did, notably the Bardock special, but even then he doesn't necessarily USE Toei's stuff in his own ideas, or if he does he makes changes that suit him personally (Dragon Ball Minus is... pretty different). It'd be nice, don't get me wrong, but not something I'm expecting going by what Super has done so far.

Oh Bardock?

You mean Kakarot's father who wasn't a great fighter, but a brilliant scientist?

:^)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mai being young is odd. I suppose with Goku dead, Pilaf and chums could have made a beeline for the dragon balls and made the same dumb wish.

1 minute ago, Pawn said:

Mai being young is odd. I suppose with Goku dead, Pilaf and chums could have made a beeline for the dragon balls and made the same dumb wish.

I thought the assumption was that Mai now grew up with Trunks because of Battle of Gods, which caused her to actually gain feelings for him, which is why she's helping him in the concept art of the arc we've seen.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I thought the assumption was that Mai now grew up with Trunks because of Battle of Gods, which caused her to actually gain feelings for him, which is why she's helping him in the concept art of the arc we've seen.

But this is Future Trunks from the Cell Saga. In his timeline Battle of Gods didn't happen. Until now, it was safe to assume that she would be an old woman or dead.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Battle of Gods didn't happen in this timeline. Goku died between the Frieza and Android saga from a heart disease.

Alright welp, can we officially claim this as a complete cluster fuck yet?

Alright welp, can we officially claim this as a complete cluster fuck yet?

Not really. It's pretty simple.

It takes place years after Trunks returned to his present and defeated the Androids and Cell. At some point in that timeline, Mai (And presumably the rest of the Pilaf gang) wished for her youth and eventually met Trunks.

• Thumbs Up 2