Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

I would count the movies of Bardock, Cooler 1 (and maybe 2, I'd have to watch it again) Broly LSSJ, Bojack, Broly Second Coming, and Hirudegarn, all in cannon since they don't seem to interfere with anything in the show since they're all placed before the show, after it and during parts where nothing important happened. I forget about the Android 13 movie, would it posinly be canon as well?

Cooler 1 makes no sense because Goku has such a hard time becoming a SSJ and defeating some minor grunts from Cooler. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense because he specifically stated that he could become SSJ whenever he wanted as soon as he returned from space.

Not that I can understand it at all, but I watched some of the Japanese Dragonball and early DBZ and I quite liked Goku's voice. He sounds more like the goofy idiot that he is meant to be, IMO. His English voice is far too stereotypical for a heroic character.

You talking pre-KAI or KAI?

In KAI Sean made goku sound the way he was supposed to sound. in early Z though he sounded like a superhero type. wasn't until late buu that he relaxed with goku a bit.

The Movies are an exception though because he allways made goku sound goofy.

• Thumbs Up 1

The English version I saw was on Cartoon Network years ago... back when it was dubbed by Ocean. I haven't seen Kai.

The Japanese ones I saw were on YouTube last year. I'm pretty sure that by now they were all removed or blocked.

Damn it, Takeshi Aono (JP King Piccolo and Kami) died when Kai was filming in the Cell ark.

Edited by Set DOB: 12/29

The English version I saw was on Cartoon Network years ago... back when it was dubbed by Ocean. I haven't seen Kai.

The Japanese ones I saw were on YouTube last year. I'm pretty sure that by now they were all removed or blocked.

Do yourself a favor and watch english KAI (find the Kenji Yamamoto versions if possible).

DBZKAI is the definitive version of DBZ in dubbed form.

Damn it, Takeshi Aono (JP King Piccolo and Kami) died when Kai was filming in the Cell ark.

Was he able to complete Kami's last episodes during the beginnings of the Cell Arc before passing away or did they hire a new VA?

Would've been a fitting end to be honest. getting to VA your character 1 last time before you die. its like Kami went with him.

Edited by goku262002

Lots of voice actors of the cast have died off. Muten Roshi's died, Tenshinhan's died, and a few years ago Mr. Satan's VA died. I believe somewhere along the line Videl's VA said she won't do work for Kai if Daisuke Gouri isn't Mr. Satan, which really sucks.

Do yourself a favor and watch english KAI (find the Kenji Yamamoto versions if possible).

DBZKAI is the definitive version of DBZ in dubbed form.

DBZ Kai in English isn't perfect because it retains some dumb terms like "Tien" and "King Kai," some voices that needed to be changed didn't (like Kaio's), some misprounciations like "Saiyan," and odd spellings like "Frieza." They aren't deal breakers, just slight inconveniences. "Tien" is pushing it, though. The dub of Kai is definitely the best English version of Dragon Ball material there is, despite the minor flaws.

DBZ Kai in English isn't perfect because it retains some dumb terms like "Tien" and "King Kai," some voices that needed to be changed didn't (like Kaio's), some misprounciations like "Saiyan," and odd spellings like "Frieza." They aren't deal breakers, just slight inconveniences. "Tien" is pushing it, though. The dub of Kai is definitely the best English version of Dragon Ball material there is, despite the minor flaws.

TV version does that the DVD versions don't. I checked in on that and Tien's name is fixed for the hardcore people but still Tien for the old FUNi dub watchers with the TV version.

...? Everything I just said is present, even in the uncut DVD/Blu-ray releases. Tenshinhan's name IS "Tien" in the uncut releases, unfortunately. I know because I have several of them. :P It's annoying because FUNi was trying to market it as accurate, only to have a few small dents in an otherwise neat dub.

Funny, because I remember watching some comparison videos of the TV and DVD versions and the name corrections were present. mind you it was just saiyan saga so they may have got lazy half way in and changed them back.

But don't such a stupid thing as name changes dent your overall view on it. sometimes the JP version of a name just can't be pronounced properly by an english VA so they have to change it to better fit the english dialog. rather have a small name change then a VA butchering the name each time.

Trust me, "Tenshinhan" isn't present the dub at all. A lot of terms were corrected, which is awesome, but some weren't.

I hate to tell you, but changing names is a flaw. Why wouldn't it be? It's a change, and because FUNi said they fixed everything in their dub of Kai it's even more of a flaw. To some people it's a really big deal, but to me it's just a small inconvenience. "Tenshinhan" wasn't changed to "Tien" for the sake of making the pronunciation easier, it was probably changed just for the hell of it. Tenshinhan isn't hard to pronounce (especially since it's shortened to "Ten" most of the time anyway) and they could have gotten it right too. My point is because they managed to get "Makankosappo" right, along with "Kaio-ken," "Kienzan," and many others.

EDIT: Given your logic, isn't Tenshinhan's dub name even MORE difficult to pronounce? I mean, it's "Tien Shinhan." It's almost the same name but with more thrown onto it. Quite unnecessary if you ask me.

Edited by MugiMikey
  • Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Given your logic, isn't Tenshinhan's dub name even MORE difficult to pronounce? I mean, it's "Tien Shinhan." It's almost the same name but with more thrown onto it. Quite unnecessary if you ask me.

Its an added "i" and a space its not that much different from the original name. really man, its such a small nitpick since it happens all the time in dubbed animes. Vegeta got more of a name change then Tien did.

Edited by goku262002

Name changes don't happen anymore as far as I know. Dubs these days are pretty accurate. I know it's a small nitpick and that's exactly what I called it: a small inconvenience. It's an error that was purposefully retained in a pool of corrected terms so that's why I addressed it.

Vegeta did not get more of a name change than Tenshinhan did, let alone at all. What are you talking about?

Edited by MugiMikey

That's the romaji of it and it was written in Katakana, which is a text system used for foreign words. His name, along with other Saiyans, is a pun on vegetables. Obviously his name is "Vegeta." That's like saying "Trunks" is wrong and his real name is "Torankusu."

Edited by MugiMikey

Trying to have English speaks pronounce Japanese names correctly is asking for trouble i don't mind the name changes, and nobody else should honestly unless you're that hardcore of a fan.

Pronouncing names wrong =/= Changing names

It's not asking for trouble when FUNi can pronounces Japanese names correctly in every other dub they make.

Unless you're calling yourselves casual fans by calling me a "hardcore" fan, then okay, fine. I'm not really a "hardcore" fan, I just like the original version of the show.

Edited by MugiMikey

Broly Second Coming has a hard time fitting in canon because Videl is familiar with the Dragon Balls here, while in canon she doesn't think the Dragon Balls are magical until she sees Shenron for herself.

And trying to place it after the Buu debacle is over brings in more headscratchers than would placing it before Buu. Mystic Gohan, Goten and Trunks trying out Fusion against Broly, Vegeta even more conspicuously absent than before, live Goku still not around until the very end, etc.

As for Japanese -> English names, I'm still slightly miffed that they were still called Androids instead of Artificial Humans or Cyborgs. You can call 16 and 19 Androids all you like, but calling 17, 18, and Cell as such is inaccurate.

EDIT: King Kai's JP name is Kaio-Sama, and western audiences wouldn't have any idea on what a "sama" is unless they were knowledgeable of Eastern culture. I can understand why the name was changed.

Why they changed "Tenshinhan" into "Tien Shinhan" is harder to justify, but Tenshinhan itself is a pun on a Chinese/Japanese dish, tenshindon. His name is even spelled in katakana in the show to reflect the foreign name. Changing it to Tien shows that foreign aspect of his name even further.

Edited by Crystal King

As for Japanese -> English names, I'm still slightly miffed that they were still called Androids instead of Artificial Humans or Cyborgs. You can call 16 and 19 Androids all you like, but calling 17, 18, and Cell as such is inaccurate.

Yeah. It is inaccurate, but the whole concept is a mess. I prefer "cyborg" over "android" myself, but because some are cyborgs and some are androids I sometimes switch back and forth. I do find it easier to just go with "#" before each one, though. For example: "#17" and "#18."

EDIT: King Kai's JP name is Kaio-Sama, and western audiences wouldn't have any idea on what a "sama" is unless they were knowledgeable of Eastern culture. I can understand why the name was changed.

But it doesn't make sense. It's a sloppy half translation. He's a king, okay... but let's use your logic for a second. They may not know what "sama" means, but do they know what "Kai" means? "Kai" certainly isn't his name. The half translation reveals nothing about who he is or what he rules over, other than that he is just a king of some sort. I like what Viz did with the name by translating the whole thing (Lord of Worlds).

Edited by MugiMikey

Pronouncing names wrong =/= Changing names

It's not asking for trouble when FUNi can pronounces Japanese names correctly in every other dub they make.

Unless you're calling yourselves casual fans by calling me a "hardcore" fan, then okay, fine. I'm not really a "hardcore" fan, I just like the original version of the show.

I don't really think it matters, and I think tend to blow shit like this out of proportion. Most of the name changes aren't even that significant.

I don't really think it matters, and I think tend to blow shit like this out of proportion. Most of the name changes aren't even that significant.

They aren't, as I have said numerous times in this thread. I was just explaining why they are incorrect. Some people avoid even the Kai dub at all costs because of reasons like this. It especially doesn't matter to casual fans and of course I don't blame them for it. Some people who really like the show care about their interests and the way the products they purchase are produced and marketed.

Edited by MugiMikey

That's stupid, that's like avoiding the 4kids dub of One Piece because they changed Zoro to Zol-

Okay I can see why people would get upset over it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Haha! I was waiting for someone to mention that.

While "Zolo" is incorrect, it certainly isn't what turned me off of that shitty-ass dub. Viz uses it and I still buy their products because I know they're doing their best to be accurate, just as FUNi has been trying to redeem itself with Kai for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wasn't he "Bejiita" in Japan?

That's just the way Vegeta is pronounced?

Also I kinda liked it - sounded more regal! XD

It matters if the name is a pun, which many of the Dragonball names are - if it's changed in translation, the joke gets lost. For a while I had no idea that Tien/Tenshinhan's name was a joke. I get things like dropping "sama", although I am sure anyone who watches Dragonball with any zeal probably knows what sama means!

Anyways, just to make it clear - I'm not avoiding Kai as such, it's just that I have seen Dragonball/DBZ so many times in the past decade that I pretty much know all of the sagas already! biggrin.png (and might I add I actually like some of the filler, such as the driving school and Vegeta and Nappa tearing that bug planet a new one... :B )

Edited by Mash-It Mambo