Awoo.

sonic adventure HD? sonic CD HD? sonic adventure 2 HD? sonic...the...fighters HD..... ok sega, what are you gearing up for?

theoriginaltrio3210

ok so, I'm new here and really wanna get some things off my chest, im well aware that sega is in major financial trouble at the moment, and this is probably the reason behind these HD remakes. This was not the case with our HD sonic CD, that was a marketing gimmick for sonic 4-episode 2 (which might I add was a neat idea before i realized sonic 4 ep 2 was another missed oppurtunity at continuing the intriguing narrative of the death egg saga sleep.png or a continuation of CD'S side story). But back to the point, i feel sega is gearing up for something new and big with sonic, Iizuka himself did state he wanted to take sonic in a new direction, and remember, there are rumors of a major sonic reboot in 2014, so i dont find all this completely inconcievable :s. adventure 2, to me, is a perfect example of sega's quick dime mentality(online play for fighters but NOT ADVENTURE 2?! new characters for fighters BUT NOT ADVENTURE 2?! NO NEW DLC FOR ADVENUTRE 2 EXCEPT FOR A "BATTLE" VERSION?! D: ) It was a simple texture polish-up in an attempt to jump on the steaming hype train that followed the game's re-release while others such as CD HD and fighters HD are an example of an ambitious attempt at rejuvinating the franchise due to the attention to detail given (the aforementioned additions to fighters and the inclusion of tails and jap soundtrack in CD). In a worse case scenario though, could sega be gearing up for some sort of discontinuation of sonic due to their financial trouble, it wouldnt be the first time sega has done this (discontinuation of the dreamcast) and afterall lets face it: (mario and sonic after dreamcast discontinuation) mario:no relevance in industry says what sonic:what? mario: smile.png so what do you guys think? is this the end of sonic, a new beginning for himor sega putting sonic to some good use in getting that extra dollar/pound/yen/ where ever the hell you live? my first post, discuss (and if this is a duplicate of an earlier post, please have mercy.)

XD not the reply i hoped for but its a start, im really just wondering if there's any particular reason behind this rapid re-release of games ^-^'

and yes i didnt explain myself well, its a double sided coin really, if these re-releases work out to be profitable, they make more games, if not these re-releases at as a tribute to the franchise

and it takes so little money for this experimenation since, as you said, they are "easy cash grabs"

XD not the reply i hoped for but its a start, im really just wondering if there's any particular reason behind this rapid re-release of games ^-^'

Yes.

Digital distribution is more popular than it has been previously, Broadband internet speeds are quite the norm so downloading a 3-5GB file in the space of a few hours is the norm as apposed to the 3-5 days it used to be back in the early 2000's.

Thats why they're now re-releasing Dreamcast/Saturn games.

To put it in context. 6 years ago it took me 3-5 hours to download a mod for Star Trek Bridge commander which was around 300MB big.

Today it takes me 3-5 hours to download a game which is over 5GB.

there are rumors of a major sonic reboot in 2014

People believe this? / Hasn't this been a rumor every year since Sonic 06 failed? Has the reboot started yet are we winning?

I don't think they're planning on shutting down anytime soon. If anything, these rapid rereleases just means that Sega is going about business as usual. Hell, they've been rereleasing Sonic games as early as the Genesis days with Sonic Compilation of all things. This is just a pretty easy way for them to get a quick buck.

*scratches head*

Dead skin peels off.

The rumors of a 2014 reboot, came (I believe) from a TSSZ source. So, don't hold your breath.

One hopes that SEGA is being careful with their money due to their financial situation. The re-releases of Sonic CD and SA2 are certainly appreciated. As for Sonic the Fighters HD, no proper widescreen? Very sad, and we don't yet know if the US and Europe will even get this re-release.

Edited by NightwingFox

Yes.

Digital distribution is more popular than it has been previously, Broadband internet speeds are quite the norm so downloading a 3-5GB file in the space of a few hours is the norm as apposed to the 3-5 days it used to be back in the early 2000's.

Thats why they're now re-releasing Dreamcast/Saturn games.

To put it in context. 6 years ago it took me 3-5 hours to download a mod for Star Trek Bridge commander which was around 300MB big.

Today it takes me 3-5 hours to download a game which is over 5GB.

People believe this? / Hasn't this been a rumor every year since Sonic 06 failed? Has the reboot started yet are we winning?

"People believe this? / Hasn't this been a rumor every year since Sonic 06 failed? Has the reboot started yet are we winning?"

sonic colours is as close to that as we get my friend ;) + its Takashi Iizuka, the same man that brought us such classics as, shadow the hedgehog and nights: journey of dreams -_-

"I don't think they're planning on shutting down anytime soon. If anything, these rapid rereleases just means that Sega is going about business as usual. Hell, they've been rereleasing Sonic games as early as the Genesis days with Sonic Compilation of all things. This is just a pretty easy way for them to get a quick buck."

yes i see your point there, but this sudden fanservice its just so, unsega-like (correct me if im wrong on that though, im a sega newbie if it aint that sonic related, ill be seeing to that soon though)

(ima shit quoter)

The rumors of a 2014 reboot, came (I believe) from a TSSZ source. So, don't hold your breath.

Yeah, nothing TSSZ says is true. They are notorious for having "news" on future sonic games, so a 2014 reboot is probably as believable as Bush's 3rd term.

• Thumbs Up 2

im aware of "the lack of a US/european" release actually :) + im not aware, has TSSZ been a reliable source, i have read the actual post, and this alleged "skylanders" rip-off, the more i read it, the more i think sonic team cant be taking that much crystal meth, even sonic 06 had promise when we first heard about it.

sonic colours is as close to that as we get my friend wink.png + its Takashi Iizuka, the same man that brought us such classics as, shadow the hedgehog and nights: journey of dreams sleep.png

The heck is that supposed to mean? Sonic colours wasn't a reboot at all. And quoting games that Iizuka has had a hand in with a negative vibe? Have we not grown up yet? He also brought us Sonic Generations which last time I looked was one of the best Sonic games for years. If indeed bringing Iizuka's game history into this is an argument for anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, nothing TSSZ says is true. They are notorious for having "news" on future sonic games, so a 2014 reboot is probably as believable as Bush's 3rd term.

oh ok, nevermind my last question, if i hear about a big the cat spinoff from there your words will pound me in the head :)

To be perfectly honest, when I first read about that reboot I kinda believed it (and was quite horrified), but I didn't know about TSSZ's "rumour" reputation back then, either.

Regarding the original topic, I think it is as Hogfather said and it's a combination of it simply being more viable to download nowadays and the fact that fans like us will buy the re-released games.

• Thumbs Up 1

didnt say sonic colours was a reboot.

"People believe this? / Hasn't this been a rumor every year since Sonic 06 failed? Has the reboot started yet are we winning?"

sonic colours is as close to that as we get my friend wink.png +

that is what i said good sir :) + really, i know Iizuka isnt all to blame for this, i mean after all he was lead designer and producer of the original nights, but i tell you now he did not give a "helping hand" in the aforementioned games he was lead designer and director of SA2, heroes and shadow the hedgehog (big roles to my knowledge) but ill agree that after his intervention in 2010 as actual main producer, sonic has become more respectable :)

He also brought us Sonic Generations which last time I looked was one of the best Sonic games for years. If indeed bringing Iizuka's game history into this is an argument for anything.

leave you alone after this hogfather but... you do realize generations is a combination of everything GOOD about the franchise since its conception right, I'd believe that the game would HAVE to be good if this is the gimmick behind the newest game of 20 year old franchise that has experience in how the industry works :)

Your sizzle-to-steak ratio is strongly suggesting to me that you're trying to troll us.

Stop it.

no idea what a sizzle-to-steak ratio is :') but no trolling here :/

What makes digital releases so special is that they don't have a short shelf life like physical copies. I think that trips a lot of people up. SEGA releases a ton of digital titles in a short period of time and people freak out, thinking they can't afford them all or that SEGA is giving us too much at once or that it's leading up to somnething. But look at it from SEGA's perspective as well as from the perspective of a digital marketplace. Copies are unlimited, so nothing will sell out, and SEGA doesn't have to worry about a short shelf life or titles getting shifted to the used bin.

If anything, consumers are the winners because we get a load of titles to choose from, demos to try them out, the occasional sales where they drop in price and nothing ever sells out.

For the past few years, digital titles has been a trend for SEGA. Not just focusing on Sonic, take a look at the many other SEGA releases we've had since 2010.

• Thumbs Up 3

What makes digital releases so special is that they don't have a short shelf life like physical copies. I think that trips a lot of people up. SEGA releases a ton of digital titles in a short period of time and people freak out, thinking they can't afford them all or that SEGA is giving us too much at once or that it's leading up to somnething. But look at it from SEGA's perspective as well as from the perspective of a digital marketplace. Copies are unlimited, so nothing will sell out, and SEGA doesn't have to worry about a short shelf life or titles getting shifted to the used bin.

If anything, consumers are the winners because we get a load of titles to choose from, demos to try them out, the occasional sales where they drop in price and nothing ever sells out.

For the past few years, digital titles has been a trend for SEGA. Not just focusing on Sonic, take a look at the many other SEGA releases we've had since 2010.

I agree with you there, the Model 2 and Heritage collections are examples of other sega titles along side sonic ones, but with digital distribution, which requires interent access (something not everyone has) as well as maintenance of the digital stores. Sega loses from its perspective as pirates and other illegal forms of download become more and more rampant and consumers lose out when the online service shuts down (an example being the xbox live service being taken down on the original, you may or may not have heard). From sega's perspective, they will loose out on money while from the consumer's perspective they will have to start hunting for used, physical copies again, but by that time will be even more scarce. HOWEVER, i do see the validity of your point, as this perdicament may not be an issue for another 10 or so years.

Sonic may not be the main focus but its hard to deny that his HD re-releases are so much more reccuring than other sega re-releases, even if sonic may have more games or just have the more frequent HD re-releases as he is the face of sega :/ I think i may have did missed the point of your post though, feel free to point out what I havent adressessed

If Sonic is going down the shitter, how come his merchandise is thriving much more than in 1998-2003 currently? how come SEGA are branching their blue mascot out into live events such as Snowboarding, Football and American Motor Racing? How come he's landed a role in a DISNEY movie as more than a background cameo character?

I think you're over analysing the fact SEGA is re-releasing a back log of Retro titles to make a few easy cash grabs.

I never did say that sonic was going down the shitter, if you ask me they're just branching their mascot into different genres, the execution may not be polished but i still think they're great games :) the reason im intrigued by sonic so much is to see how he'll continue to evolve, the reason why this topic bothers me so much, and if i haven't made myself clear, i am in no way in favor of these choices if they do decide to discontinue or reboot him :(

and yes perhaps this is over-analysation but it is the what-if behind it im really asking for, what if this was a gear up for something big :/ im not really saying it will happen and i highly doubt it to be honest

no idea what a sizzle-to-steak ratio is :') but no trolling here :/

My apologies. Have been dealing with trolls on other forums lately, so my Spidey Senses for that are a bit on edge.

Like most others, I think it's just Sega taking advantage of an opportunity to make a little cash, not much else. If anything, it tells me that Sonic Team doesn't have anything big in the works right now, and they're trying to keep the gaps filled until they do.

Edited by Blackthorne
  • Thumbs Up 2

As to the constant arguments about WHY NEW CHARACTERS ON SONIC THE FIGHTERS BUT NOT SONIC ADVENTURE 2 YOU SUC SEGA, I still think people need to remember SEGA isn't some sort of house where 10 people work and do everything. There's a shitload of teams. The team that did Sonic CD HD isn't the same as the one who did Fighters HD isn't the same who did Adventure 2 HD; so why the surprise over different attitudes?

Not to mention, there's no new characters in Fighters. Only characters that were already there but were incomplete.

• Thumbs Up 1

oh no no its fine, i gotta earn my ranks here i guess + yeah, i can see that now, im just speculating this since its obvious Sega is putting some major effort and polish into its ports/ HD re-releases and one can assume they'd do the same with something ambitious and big for its mascot, but yes, it is Sega, they're full of surprises, and some of those surprises are sometimes major disappointments, even in sonic terms (sonic 06, just to put your spidey senses at ease wink.png)

As to the constant arguments about WHY NEW CHARACTERS ON SONIC THE FIGHTERS BUT NOT SONIC ADVENTURE 2 YOU SUC SEGA, I still think people need to remember SEGA isn't some sort of house where 10 people work and do everything. There's a shitload of teams. The team that did Sonic CD HD isn't the same as the one who did Fighters HD isn't the same who did Adventure 2 HD; so why the surprise over different attitudes?

Not to mention, there's no new characters in Fighters. Only characters that were already there but were incomplete.

true true, i really can mess up with these things when it comes to the behind-the-scenes side of games, and yes, i know they're not NEW characters sorry :') bad wording + I'd just think that since im sure sega is aware that adventure 2 is by miles more beloved than fighters, so therefore would be some extra polish maintained, after all, there cannot be seperate teams without someone overseeing them all, there would just be chaos as a result but might as well just be thankful for the re-releases :)

please be aware people, im not hating on sega or sonic :( just.speaking.my.mind.

theoriginaltrio3210, would you work on your grammar? Your posts would be far more readable if you learned to use periods at the end of your sentences and capitalize the beginning of sentences as well as names.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh sorry about that, I didn't think grammar would be very important here, and I have only just realized how painfully unreadable my last post was, thanks for that, next time.

Oh sorry about that, I didn't think grammar would be very important here, and I have only just realized how painfully unreadable my last post was, thanks for that, next time.

In that case, may I take a guess and ask you to read the rules? It does say there to write in a readable way.