Awoo.

All EU PS3 users to get....

Badnik Mechanic

Anger is not an attractive trait, just ask The Incredible Hulk, he'd tell yah all about it.

I think I see what you are saying here. When something is a minor inconvenience to us, we should get so angry that we ultimately start punching tanks.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 7

Is the other console Xbox 360 I'm guessing? I thought everyone complained about it's dashboard being filled with ads and spam and stuff, how would it be any different XD.

Um, it is different. First of all, it's just one icon. Sure it's a pretty annoying icon, but you can't compare it to a ton of crappy ads 360 has.

Last of all, it's a free game. Did I mention the word, free? Yep, free. No no, it's not a demo, it's not a 60 minute trial, it's a full free game. You don't have to put in an extra penny to play this. There is always a group of people who likes SingStar or any karaoke games and is definitely useful for parties. I'll definitely use this in one of my future college block parties.

P.S - You don't need a microphone to play this game I've been told. I don't know what they mean by that, but I know that if you have a PS Eye that has a built in mic so you are all good if you have a PS Eye (which I have).

EDIT: This is ridiculous, we get a full free game and people are moaning.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I already own the game. I have already beaten the game.

Why do I have to have it on my XMB when I no longer have any use for it?

This is ridiculous, we get a full free game and people are moaning.

Hm, I don't know, mon. While I think some of the more... passionate reactions are a tad ridiculous, I would be at least a little annoyed at "getting" a gift that's not only something I didn't want in the first place, but was actually forced upon me.

Edited by Komodin

And with that free game that you might very well not want which you need to buy some peripheral to play (because good luck playing a singing game with a DS3), you get a constant advertisement that shows up every time you turn the system on without a game in it (because the menu apparently defaults to the icon and its background) regardless of whether you own (or want) that game or not.

The people flipping their shit and threatening to buy a 360 are overreacting, yes. The people who made their opinion known that they didn't want it there (and/or wanted the trophy icon moved back) before the Sony employee started fucking with them are not, and them not wanting it there is perfectly justified regardless of "IT'S FREE!"

Edited by Tornado

A game that will get virtual dust, because I don't have a microphone, much less the EyeToy camera... And I'm not interested at singing anyway. I hope they get this feed-rage-back and don't add this to the US users.

I already own the game. I have already beaten the game.

Why do I have to have it on my XMB when I no longer have any use for it?

Well good. Now you sell that disc, get some money out of it and when you feel like playing SingStar in the future you download the app.

Hm, I don't know, mon. While I think some of the more... passionate reactions are a tad ridiculous, I would be at least a little annoyed at "getting" a gift that's not only something I didn't want in the first place, but was actually forced upon me.

It's not actually "forced" because the game isn't installed in your hard drive... I have yet to see this myself but I can't see myself getting mad over an icon I can easily skip over within less of a second.

And with that free game that you might very well not want which you need to buy some peripheral to play (because good luck playing a singing game with a DS3), you get a constant advertisement that shows up every time you turn the system on without a game in it (because the menu apparently defaults to the icon and its background) regardless of whether you own (or want) that game or not.

The people flipping their shit and threatening to buy a 360 are overreacting, yes. The people who made their opinion known that they didn't want it there (and/or wanted the trophy icon moved back) before the Sony employee started fucking with them are not, and them not wanting it there is perfectly justified regardless of "IT'S FREE!"

This isn't any different than the "What's New" section and I always had that on when I start up my PS3. And, as long I didn't alter the settings it should remain on "What's New" even after the SingStar update.

Why does one single icon bother you so much? To navigate your downloaded games, you need to hit/hold a up/down directional button several times right? Are you guys that lazy that you can't hit the up/down one more time?

Either way, you can't compare this to the 360 ads when they are IN YOUR face in EVERY menu you go to, even though you have PAID them for your Gold membership.

Well good. Now you sell that disc, get some money out of it and when you feel like playing SingStar in the future you download the app.

Are you Nina Sherer. Only I can't believe you have just seriously suggested that and actually expect people to think it's a good idea.

1: I have already beaten the game and have no desire to have it on my system anymore. Why would I ever consider downloading it or having it on my system in any shape or form?

2: I have not played in the 3 years since I beat it and have no desire to play it again so why would I suddenly think 'yes I will go and dig up my controllers to play kareoke instead of all these other new games I could be playing. Unless of course there is somehow a mass of people who woke up one day and said 'Oh yeah! I really wanna play that game where I sing to my console again! It's been 3 years! since I last did the kareoke!'

3: Lets go along with your suggestion and see what problems we encounter.

*sells all his Singstar copies and downloads the app*

Now to play a game I have already beaten and havn't touched for 3 years.

*starts up Singstar and sees a problem*

Hey whats this!? Theres no full songs on the XMB version... but how am I supposed to play the game if theres no full songs on it

*To get full songs, please head to the Singstore*

Oh... so... in order to play the game and actually beat it, I have to actually either already own Singstar... or spend more money to beat it, well thank god I just sold all my old copies of this game I already own so I can now spend more money to replay the game again... . ... .. wait what?

4: I decide what games I have on my system, not Sony or anyone else. There is a world of difference between running an advert or even the whats new area which is within a reasonable place on the XMB and having a permenant link/app on my main games area.

5: To play this free game and beat it you need to buy the following. Two microphones, because you can't play singstar with one mic or one playstation eye. Additional songs from either the singstore or a seperate disk. A minimum of 10 based on what the game asks you to do and you need to hope that some of those have harmony sections for the two player mode.

Are you getting it. I don't have any reason for this game to be on my system, I've already beaten it so the idea of 'oh well you got a free game' completely falls flat on it's face. So why the hell should I have to have a big singstar app on my XMB when I have utterly no reason to have one?

Either way, you can't compare this to the 360 ads when they are IN YOUR face in EVERY menu you go to, even though you have PAID them for your Gold membership.

Playstation plus begs to differ.

• Thumbs Up 6

Really? =C I find the Free Weekends pretty unintrusive. I keep my games categorised so any non-categorised games just appear right at the bottom of my list (i.e., new ones that I've just bought or free weekend games).

Well it's just really weird looking to me since I just leave all of my games in alphabetical order and haven't otherwise found a need to categorize them. I suppose doing so would alleviate the problem for me though.

The Xbox dashboard's problem isn't too many ads, but that anything of use is on the far right panel. I actually find a revolving palette of the latest videos and games less distracting than a "Singster" icon in my face all the time, but really it is all just personal preference. Both dashboards are kind of shitty in their own way.

I'm just wondering why they chose Singster, since it really isn't popular.

Are you Nina Sherer.

It's Scherer. If you're trying to be funny, at least get the name right...

2: I have not played in the 3 years since I beat it and have no desire to play it again so why would I suddenly think 'yes I will go and dig up my controllers to play kareoke instead of all these other new games I could be playing. Unless of course there is somehow a mass of people who woke up one day and said 'Oh yeah! I really wanna play that game where I sing to my console again! It's been 3 years! since I last did the kareoke!'

Are you God? Are you a fortune teller? You can't tell the future! Today you hate dogs, 20 years later you'll love dogs. What if a girl comes to your house, asks to play a singing game and you have SingStar?

4: I decide what games I have on my system, not Sony or anyone else. There is a world of difference between running an advert or even the whats new area which is within a reasonable place on the XMB and having a permenant link/app on my main games area.

Oh dear. The game isn't installed in your hard drive. SingStar is a game, therefore it's listed under Games. This isn't rocket science. Just like Netflix, Hulu Plus and Music Unlimited apps are listed in their respective categories. It's just 1 icon. It doesn't take over your XMB. You have the option to ignore it or download it. Get a grip.

5: To play this free game and beat it you need to buy the following. Two microphones, because you can't play singstar with one mic or one playstation eye. Additional songs from either the singstore or a seperate disk. A minimum of 10 based on what the game asks you to do and you need to hope that some of those have harmony sections for the two player mode.

You can use a DS3 on this game too...not that I would recommend it, but the fact is the game is still playable with or without the mics.

Are you getting it. I don't have any reason for this game to be on my system, I've already beaten it so the idea of 'oh well you got a free game' completely falls flat on it's face. So why the hell should I have to have a big singstar app on my XMB when I have utterly no reason to have one?

And are you getting it that this game isn't downloaded in your system?! Why do you have a SingStar app icon on your XMB? I guess you should ask the same thing for Netflix, Hulu Plus and other TV apps you have on your PS3. Why didn't you complain about them then? The SingStar app isn't more annoying than the others! And what about the PlayStation Store in the Games section too? Why didn't anybody complain about that? It's NO different.

If there are multiple icons, then I can understand your frustration but it's just one.

Playstation plus begs to differ.

PS Plus is just a service to give you free games and cloud storage. That's all it does. Can't compare that to Live Gold. But whatever. We shouldn't be talking about this.

Hey Lucky, in the time we've known each other, have you ever wanted to come over and play Singstar?

Can't say that I have... although I'll come over if you let me play We Dare.

Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 7

Me, doesn't want to play Singstar. Me has already played Singstar. Me will never play Singstar again because me has already beaten the game and has absolutely no reason to play it.

And who's asking you to play SingStar? It's optional to download. It's not a popup that covers the whole screen whenever you start up your PS3, quit a game or browse the store. Why are people entirely missing the point.

And right now. This person says 'No. Not going to ever play Singstar again, will you please remove it from my XMB as it's taking up room, thank you very much.

Yes, right now. You don't want to play it right now. And have you heard the saying, "Never say never". I'm not going to study you, no one's going to study you but no human knows what's going to happen in the future. This applies to you. At best, you can only predict it. So you can say "I'll never never never never never never...."

[10 minutes later...]

"....never never never never never touch that game again in my life!" And hey, maybe you won't. But 10 years ago I hated broccoli and vegetables. I'm sure most of you felt the same way and tried your best to stay away from those vegetables.

And what room? Like 5-10KBs of storage? You made a thread about one silly icon that can be easily ignored like it's never there. It doesn't distract you any more than the other icons it has there from browsing your downloaded games.

If you don't want to play the stupid game, then don't play the stupid game. Again, it's not even downloaded in the system unless you want it too. I'm not saying this is a great move from Sony, but what bothers me here is how one icon that put people in rage like this.

I find this situation similar to that of PsHome. I never play it, but the fact that the icon is there ALL THE TIME... doesn't bother me personally... at all

And to those who are here who never play it but complain about Singstar's icon.... what's the difference? Why complain over one but not the other? It's literally the same scenario.... an icon.... for an optional game/app, that you may or may not play but said icon can't be removed from the XMB.

Is it an ad for something? Yep. Does it intrude on your experience using the console regardless of if you are a premium member? Yep.

Sounds comparable to me. Is it the same level of bullshit as what Microsoft pulls? Nope. Was anyone claiming it was in the first place? Also nope.

It's Scherer. If you're trying to be funny, at least get the name right...

I note how you didn't actually answer the question. So, I feel I must ask this: Do you work for Sony? Because that's the only reason I can think of where you would so relentlessly toe the company line against people who don't want a non-removable advertisement for a game (which is what it is) they may have no interest in to be on their XMB.

PS Plus is just a service to give you free games and cloud storage. That's all it does. Can't compare that to Live Gold. But whatever. We shouldn't be talking about this.

Except you can compare them, because they are both premium services that you pay extra for. XBox Live does more, but it also costs more so it's balanced out. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of your argument you get to follow.

Oh dear. The game isn't installed in your hard drive.

You can use a DS3 on this game too...not that I would recommend it, but the fact is the game is still playable with or without the mics.

And are you getting it that this game isn't downloaded in your system?

225px-Number_1.0.png

This isn't any different than the "What's New" section and I always had that on when I start up my PS3. And, as long I didn't alter the settings it should remain on "What's New" even after the SingStar update.
Why do you have a SingStar app icon on your XMB? I guess you should ask the same thing for Netflix, Hulu Plus and other TV apps you have on your PS3. Why didn't you complain about them then?

The problem being threefold:

1. People did take issue with them when Sony added them (as they did for the "What's New" graphic), but that was overridden by how:
  2. Those are things that allow you access to large third-party services with millions of subscribers in order to increase the convenience/incentive for those subscribers to use/purchase a PS3 and are on tabs that many PS3 users don't even navigate to; while the Singstar app is nothing more than Sony desperately trying to prop up the revenue stream for a dying game franchise. Or how:
  3. The What's New ticker bar actually operates as a news feed for general Sony stuff and is off to the side of the screen rather than just a constant ad for a single program that you have to navigate around.

Also, "look at all these other things you don't like" isn't a justification to let more things you might not like go.

And who's asking you to play SingStar?

Sony is. That should be patently obvious when they made a big blog post about it implying they were doing PS3 owners a favor for putting it there and slipstreamed it all into a system firmware update so it would be in a prominent location on the main menu irrelevant of whether you wanted it to be.

Yes, right now. You don't want to play it right now. And have you heard the saying, "Never say never". I'm not going to study you, no one's going to study you but no human knows what's going to happen in the future. This applies to you. At best, you can only predict it. So you can say "I'll never never never never never never...."

[10 minutes later...]

"....never never never never never touch that game again in my life!" And hey, maybe you won't. But 10 years ago I hated broccoli and vegetables. I'm sure most of you felt the same way and tried your best to stay away from those vegetables.

Are you God? Are you a fortune teller? You can't tell the future! Today you hate dogs, 20 years later you'll love dogs. What if a girl comes to your house, asks to play a singing game and you have SingStar?

Nice to know you have PS3 owners' best interests at heart, even if they don't actually have those interests. It's really too bad that Sony doesn't have a STORE that they can put their PLAYSTATION titles, so if they were to remove the offending icon people would be able to download the game if they were interested and ignore it completely if they weren't.

Because that would solve everything.

Why are people entirely missing the point.

What is the point, pray tell? Because your entire argument seems to be "It doesn't matter whether you never have any intent to play it, or whether you don't want the icon there, or whether you don't want Sony screwing around with their user interface with advertisements for things you don't want and making it worse, because it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!*"

And when you have to go so far as to outright fabricate hypothetical scenarios so you can claim you know more about whether people will make use of the icon than those people themselves do (which you did, twice, even after being called on it), and when you keep acting like minor semantic clarifications by themselves prove your vague and nebulous "point," it kinda sets the idea in motion that you don't have a point to begin with.

I'm not saying this is a great move from Sony, but what bothers me here is how one icon that put people in rage like this.

It's funny, because the only one who's actually getting pissed off about this is you. As was already pointed out several times, people were voicing their displeasure about the decision fairly amicably before Scherer started pissing them off on purpose; and you can't equate people not agreeing with it as "people in rage."

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 5

I find this situation similar to that of PsHome. I never play it, but the fact that the icon is there ALL THE TIME... doesn't bother me personally... at all

And to those who are here who never play it but complain about Singstar's icon.... what's the difference? Why complain over one but not the other? It's literally the same scenario.... an icon.... for an optional game/app, that you may or may not play but said icon can't be removed from the XMB.

The Home icon is tucked away in a section you never have to scroll through. Singstar icon is right in the middle of your game list (thus the system defaults to it on boot for added hilarity). Always in the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Has anyone seen the new PSN Store? I really dislike it. It's a mess, glitchy, bland, and doesn't have ease of access like the previous. The search function doesn't even work properly.

Seriously, get your shit together Sony.

Edited by -L-
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is the point, pray tell? Because your entire argument seems to be "It doesn't matter whether you never have any intent to play it, or whether you don't want the icon there, or whether you don't want Sony screwing around with their user interface with advertisements for things you don't want and making it worse, because it's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!*"

People understand where you're coming from, Ming Ming Shana, but you can't blame them for not wanting an icon forced under their games menu. I know I don't want it there on mine. The game isn't downloaded on my console, no, but the icon is still there. Sony released a free app a couple of years back for another once popular series called Buzz! in which you can play all of your DLC quizzes through and demo DLC packs and stuff. Did they force that on to people's XMB's? No, they made it a free download from the PS Store. Why can't they do the same with this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused, has the US not gotten this update yet? Because I don't see it anywhere.

Has anyone seen the new PSN Store? I really dislike it. It's a mess, glitchy, bland, and doesn't have ease of access like the previous. The search function doesn't even work properly.

Looks the same to me o.o