Awoo.

Why do people hate the modern sonic design so much?

theoriginaltrio3210

I just wanted to talk about one of the many trivial things that has divided the fanbase since about 1998. It seems some of the fanbase really want the classic sonic design back, but why? The modern design fit the american perception of "coolness" (be aware, things were different at the time, as anime was becoming quite popular at the time, and this is especially evident in the sonic adventure 1 artwork). This is important, as the representation of sonic being "american" is indeed how they market sonic in Japan.Meanwhile the classic design is just a bit too cute, and is a product of its time, when colourful platformers the go-to genre for a definitive gaming experience and the sonic games seemed to be more reminiscent of a classic american cartoon (the sonic and robotnik feud back then was comparable to the bugs bunny and elmer fudd rivalry). I think that is where the classic sonic design love comes from; the likable factor of the classic design, akin to something a timeless classic cartoon would have and the simplicity of the design itself. The modern design however, to me, just feels a little more suited to the tone the sonic franchise is trying to take. Still, i love both designs, but would like to see what you guys think about them, if it bothers any of you. I couldnt care less which designs they use in future though, they're still both sonic.

I didn't think it had anything to do with it being "American" at all, although Sonic is made to have western appeal.

Love for the classic design among the fanbase as a whole is equal parts personal preference, association with better games, or just nostalgia. Modern Sonic's design is a lot better for today, though. Some people think he looks too "hip" or "cool" but that's how he was marketed back in the early 90's too.

The Sonic Adventure redesign was great for a lot of reasons. Besides updating the character to look "new" while keeping his most distinguishing features, it was also good for his update from 2D to 3D. Classic Sonic being short and chubby worked because he was easy to identify in 2D, making him a big, always-visible blob on the screen. In 3D though, Sonic having longer limbs and more exaggerated features makes his animations easier to look at and understand.

What I don't understand is why there are still people who complain about the current design. It's been in use for over a decade- longer than the classic one.

Edited by Solly

My wording was "a bit" off, i meant Western, not American, however the American appeal is actually very important to japanese game manufactuers, a big reason why the saturn bombed was due to lack of interest in America despite favourable reception in the Japan (most of the launch titles were geared more towards the japanese audience though)

Also, I could not agree more with you on that the time we've had with modern is much longer than classic's, it is a thing of the past that should be put to rest. The nostalgia factor however, really is not an excuse for them to continuously bash an idea that, in the long run, really has not affected reception towards the blue blur at all.

Because people tend to associate it with the last decade of mediocrity , even though that's a pretty stupid reason to hate it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Because Super Sonic's red eyes make him look slightly evil, which he didn't when he had green eyes. That's my only complaint really. It doesn't bother me too much though.

Because Super Sonic's red eyes make him look slightly evil, which he didn't when he had green eyes. That's my only complaint really. It doesn't bother me too much though.

How does that make him evil? That makes no sense! How does this

Super_sonic_unleashed.jpg

or this

supersonic04.jpg

look more evil than this

SuperSonicSonic2.png

???

If anything red eyes make him look more badass IMO.

As for me, I think the modern design is OK. I like Sa2 and S06 Sonic more but the modern one is OK, really.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Because people are stupid.

Well that's what I think at least. This current design like Solly said, has been in use for over a decade. People didn't care when he changed in SADX so I don't get why people bitch now. I really think the Sonic 06 design (you know what I'm talking about) looked the worst. Anyways people just find things to hate about this series. That's really all.

You answered the question pretty accurately with your first sentence. But still, to my knowledge, no one really cared about green-eyes and lankeiness, they were just excited for the first TRUE sonic game since '94 (there was a really awkward period between 1994 and 1998, sonic just up and vanished). I liked the sonic adventure 1 art style the best though: graffiti-esque, over the top posing and very distinctive.

Because people tend to associate it with the last decade of mediocrity , even though that's a pretty stupid reason to hate it.

I have never heard that lame excuse before, people are getting very desperate

Modern Sonic is the best looking design for Sonic in 3D there has ever been and that includes Generations Classic Sonic. Unfortunately the modern games are not full 3D and be prepared to shield your eyes when the camera switches to 2D because from this viewpoint modern looks at best, a blue Knuckles with horizontal dreadlocks or in my opinion like some anthro getting tentacle raped on the back of its head. The spikes are basically too long and fleshy looking instead of short, rigid and razor sharp which is how they should appear given that they can cut through metal like an angle grinder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Modern Sonic is the best looking design for Sonic in 3D there has ever been and that includes Generations Classic Sonic.

Isnt modern sonic.... the only design in 3D other than classic sonic?

Unfortunately the modern games are not full 3D and be prepared to shield your eyes when the camera switches to 2D because from this viewpoint modern looks at best, a blue Knuckles with horizontal dreadlocks or in my opinion like some anthro getting tentacle raped on the back of its head.

So wait, since generations.... everybody considers modern to be since 06, and from SA1-heroes to be dreamcast era? If that is the case okay then.

How does that make him evil? That makes no sense! How does this

Super_sonic_unleashed.jpg

or this

supersonic04.jpg

look more evil than this

SuperSonicSonic2.png

???

If anything red eyes make him look more badass IMO.

As for me, I think the modern design is OK. I like Sa2 and S06 Sonic more but the modern one is OK, really.

It doesn't make him evil. It just makes him look a little evil. Red eyes are commonly used to that convey that. (at least in America, they are). They even gave "bad hedgehog" Shadow red eyes. Like I said, it's not a huge deal. Just a minor bother.

Edited by hangarninetysix

So wait, since generations.... everybody considers modern to be since 06, and from SA1-heroes to be dreamcast era? If that is the case okay then.

Modern is everything since Unleashed. Adventure era is Adventure - STH '06.

Not a lot of people hate the modern design. The ones that do are usually the stupid retro fanboys *cough*Nicochi*cough*

• Thumbs Up 7

Most of the claims of "oh but nostalgia" or "nobody complained back then" are not strong objections. Well, first of all, if there is nostalgia over something, it's because this somerhing left enough of a strong impression to case it. This can't be disconsidered. Something about that game is so great ia can leave such a mark on a person. And I need proof that nobody complained. Where are the reviews praising it?

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the classic design better because it managed to be both cool yet at the same time cute and childlike. The modern design might still have the coolness, but none of the cuteness.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't make him evil. It just makes him look a little evil. Red eyes are commonly used to that convey that. (at least in America, they are). They even gave "bad hedgehog" Shadow red eyes. Like I said, it's not a huge deal. Just a minor bother.

I see. Anyway, I LOVE red eyed Super Sonic). If he looks a bit evil or something, that makes it even more badass.:)

I just don't like the long quills and the ugly crease between his eyes that's always there even when he's happy. tongue.png Everything else is fine.

Well that's what I think at least. This current design like Solly said, has been in use for over a decade. People didn't care when he changed in SADX so I don't get why people bitch now. I really think the Sonic 06 design (you know what I'm talking about) looked the worst. Anyways people just find things to hate about this series. That's really all.

:P I've always disliked the modern design. As a kid in '99 I was VERY upset when they revamped him. This is nothing new, at least for me, and there is nothing wrong with having a design preference.

Edited by Mega

I think Sonic's modern design from Unleashed onwards looks fine the way it is. :| People complain about how he looks so much that I bet if SEGA listens to them and actually get rid of it for something else, they're going to complain about that and want the other design back.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic's modern design from Unleashed onwards looks fine the way it is. :| People complain about how he looks so much that I bet if SEGA listens to them and actually get rid of it for something else, they're going to complain about that and want the other design back.

Idk, I think removing the brow crease and making him more expressive would do wonders. His expressions are so static outside of Night of the Werehog in that there's very little eye movement. Just changing his animations could make a difference without having to do a drastic overhaul.

I don't like his quills, but just fixing his face a bit would be fine in my book.

Modern is everything since Unleashed. Adventure era is Adventure - STH '06.

Design-wise, I think 'Modern' and 'Classic' Sonic are the only designs which have appeared in more than one main series game; From Adventure to Secrert Rings the design was changing all the time:

• Sonic 1-3: Short, pot bellied, black eyes, short spines
  • SA1-Shuffle: short, pot bellied, green eyes, longer spines
  • SA2-Sonic Battle: Taller, slimmer, (slightly) darker fur
  • Heroes-Shadow: Short again, larger head,
  • Sonic 06: Taller, skinnier, much longer hentai quills.
  • Sonic Unleashed- present: shorter, reverted to SA1-length quills

There are more changes than that, but they're more or less the basics.

while you could argue that the changes during the SA1-06 era were minimal, the same could be said for the changes between Sonic 3K and Sonic Adventure, or between Sonic 06 and Unleashed.

As a matter of fact, I was surprised when I discovered that the SA1 designs were marketed as 'redesigns' as before then I thought it was just a stylistic change. The longer quills would definitely make sense in that regard, as they'd be easier to model in 3D. I didn't even consider "Classic" and "Modern" sonic to be at all aesthetically separate entities until the Sonic 4 backlash, when a all of a sudden it became an issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think most fans actually have a problem with the Modern Sonic design. I don't think most Classic fans do either. I'm a massive classic fan and when Sonic 4 was announced I hadn't even noticed Sonic's design change.

Basically, there were some demented and obscure fans who raged about the eye change during Episode 1's development who threatened a boycott. None of us Classic fans said a thing at the time. And now, we have to put up with 'Ba'ww green eyes!!!11' if we ever make a Classic Sonic game statement....

Sigh...

• Thumbs Up 2