Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Two Years Later

Soniman

As much as the Modern stages of Sky Sanctuary (I really wish they'd picked an actual Sonic 3 level, it's kind of ironic the one they pick was half a level originally) and Seaside Hill are technically the best designed, I find Speed Highway and Crisis City to be my favourites, even a year on.

Speed Highway is for pretty much the exact reasons you said. I was initially disappointed in it until I discovered some of the insane shortcuts, and it's one of the best looking levels in the series. Crisis City I've talked about enough, but the challenge, the music, the graphical detail, the platforming, and just the general pacing of the level make this one of my favourites in any Sonic game. It's also the first Sonic level in years to be challenging but not ridiculously cheap (aside from the very first troll section with the enemy chain).

It's kind of odd, because I felt Speed Highway and Crisis City were the strongest Classic levels too, except for maybe Sky Sanctuary.

I don't really care for Green Hill at all and the Classic stage for Rooftop Run I find kind of not that fun to play. Planet Wisp is fairly bad as Classic Sonic, but I think I actually like it more than Rooftop Run. I actually really like the Modern stage of Planet Wisp, despite how 2D heavy it is.

I found Classic Chemical Plant to be strictly inferior to the original, but Modern's took it in a different direction. I really like the progression of this level even if it's mostly 2D and the 3D is mostly boosting. It's about normal with some ways to see a lot of the area until the end of the sky diving section, and then some alarms go off. Then you see some broken things in the background in the 2D section afterwards, and then more things and water tanks break as the factory fills. Then you go instantly into the 3D finale where everything's exploding around you. It's really cool actually, even if not the best level ever.

City Escape's okay I guess, I totally agree with Soniman on this one, particularly with regards to the Modern stage. City Escape didn't really do anything special for me compared to the other 3 city levels, and this is the one I'd replace first, despite how iconic it is.

I think the bosses are fun aside from Time Eater of course. Perfect Chaos is my favourite for being like a level, but Egg Dragoon and Silver are also really good fun.

I was initally disappointed in this game, but it grew on me a lot as I just enjoy it so much. I still enjoy it a heck of a lot, but i don't play it as much as I did when it first came out (as I pretty much played it all the fucking time back then).

Also it's been a year already? It's been one fast year. I suppose in terms of Sonic games I've played since then that I hadn't before I had Episode 2, 06, and Unleashed... urrrrrgh.

Edited by Semi-colon e

To be honest the game was never truely that amazing from the beginning. Its just the first Sonic game I could sit down and Enjoy right until the end. There was very little there that put me off continuing to play the game and nothing that contradicted what I feel like I should be doing in a Sonic game.

THAT is probably where all the praise comes from.

"Sonic Generations is not the game the franchise deserves, but its the game that the franchise needs"

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 7

Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations have a special place in my chest cavity for being the first Sonic games since the series went 3D to have absolutely no frustration from start to finish. The levels were all just fun, exactly as they should be. Challenging at times, but never unfair. Often easy, but never feeling too automated. Generations hit the sweet spot for me.

Still, even I have to agree that some of the level selections were blunders. A maximum of 2 city stages should have been used instead of 4, and Seaside Hill really was the worst possible choice they could've made from Sonic Heroes. The only level less interesting is Frog Forest/Lost Jungle, and even that would score points for not being a Green Hill Zone successor.

I personally want Sega to make a Sonic Generations 2, if only to get to play the many awesome level remakes they missed out on. Some would cry "stagnation!" and demand that the series try something new every single game, but honestly when the franchise hits all the right notes, it's a good idea to play the same tune twice. I certainly didn't complain about there being two Sonic Adventures, and I'll be head over heels for two Sonic Generations. Ice Cap, Lava Reef or Death Egg proper, Lost World with all its Indiana Jones goodness, Crazy Gadget or Final Rush, Mystic Mansion or Egg Fleet, heck even Shadow the Hedgehog had a lot of levels that would look awesome with a new coat of paint and an upgrade to classic and modern gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Generations is probably one of my favorite Sonic games, but only because of the nostaglia. It's good for a anniversary celebration, but I never want a game this short and lacking again. Everything in Generations was pretty fun though, the Modern gameplay was pretty much the same from Colors, just alot faster and a bit more 3D, and the Classic gameplay was pretty awesome itself. It wasn't exactly "classic Sonic" gameplay, but it was still fun and probably their best try at the Classic Sonic gameplay. My favorite stages have to be City Escape, Rooftop Run or Seaside Hill, modern and classic for each. I like those stages because the music in those stages are awesome and I find the most fun out of them. If we were going by Classic, Dreamcast, and Modern era, I'd probably say Sky Sanctuary, City Escape and Rooftop Run. Well, none of the stages are bad, they are all great fun, but I just have a select few that stand out. While my favorites bosses are probably Death Egg and Egg Dragoon, I didn't care much for Perfect Chaos. The game isn't obviously the best, but Sonic Generations does good at what it was meant to be, a celebration.

Edited by Crash Freddicoot
  • Thumbs Up 1

This game. THE ONE GAME I CAN ADMIT ANYWHERE I LOVE TO UTTER BITS. I can never ever say I hate this game. I can not even manage to lie. I'm just like that.

Soniman pretty much said my thoughts on this game. There is something that I think this game needs a special shout out on. The damn soundtrack. Colours has originality going for it but man, this soundtrack is pretty much one of my most favourite from the series. All our life bundled into one amazing pack. The remixes were all amazing, at least to me.

The gameplay is pretty much the best we've got out of the Unleashed formula but it does have flaws. The 2D sections seemed useless, redundant for Modern Sonic. Well, at least the 3D made up for it for the most part. The controls need to be improved too and if they are gonna do Classic again, they really need to nerf the spindash and improve the physics to be at least close to the Genesis ones.

The difficulty of this game wasn't that good honestly. I honestly didn't have problems with that though. I just hope that the challenges next time need to be more challenging. The challenges were all fun and amazing too, especially that Action Master Challenge. It was really nice playing through it.

The hype sure paid of. Generations, my favourite video game to this day, here's wishing you an advance birthday! <3

Yeah, you were short and you were just based on nostalgia but you did everything else well too... Other than the story. Here's me hoping the next Sonic game does better than Generations in all that it did badly.

Edited by Faseeh

If they had put Live Life by Crush 40 on the credits I would have cried.

Generations is mainly loved because we were all blinded by nostalgia. Looking at it now though, I don't think it's as good as we thought. Green Hill was the best choice of the stages, it wasn't the best to play but the best choice. My favourites are Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill (They should have done Egg Fleet though dry.png .).

It's still lame. It's a game that survives off of nostalgia, spectacle, and basic competence.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sonic Generations deserves all the love it can get.

I play this game next to previous titles like '06/Unleashed/Colours and am astounded by the level of progress, and quite simply, the 'fun' factor. Generations is a ridiculously fun game, something I think, amongst a hightening critical awareness/opinion voicing amongst players, we often forget is the very point we play games. Design aspects such as a simplistic overview/design, while they can seem annoying/basic to us, allowed this game to appeal to much wider audience, particularly one that has been very cynical of Sonic for a long while.

Finally, a game I can play with friends, and instead of being embarassed, their minds are blown. Keep up the gun-truck/massive chomper/building-wall-running/ruin crushing fun Sega.

• Thumbs Up 3

I fucking love this game.

I mean, it's no secret. I practically spazzed upon seeing the teaser trailer, and was massively hyped from the moment we saw gameplay. Playing it for the first time was absolutely amazing, just like playing through it for the second, third, and fourth times were. The levels are all fantastically designed, the visuals can be absolutely stunning, it's a load of fun to play, and it really captures the charm that makes me love to play Sonic games.

Sonic Generations is my favorite Sonic game, and for good reason. There's never a moment where I'm disappointed to play a level, or get frustrated with annoying design. It may not be perfect, but it's so great that I honestly don't mind. All that really needs improvement in my eyes is the storytelling - once Sonic Team has that down, I'll be completely and totally satisfied with the franchise; something that hasn't happened in years.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's still lame. It's a game that survives off of nostalgia, spectacle, and basic competence.

Not quite. I'm a mega fan of Sonic Generations and it stands very sturdy as a fantastic game in its own right.

Maybe it survives off the fantastic level design (bar some duds), the focus of Sonic gameplay that resembles what defined the earliest Sonic games, the superb polish and attention to detail and the smooth gameplay that, aside from some incredibly stupid blunders, is free from glitches.

Sorry to rant but I get annoyed when people claim that Sonic Generations is somehow not that good and only succeeded because it focused on nostalgia. I consider Sonic Generations to easily be the best Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles and it deserves as much praise as it gets.

the focus of Sonic gameplay that resembles what defined the earliest Sonic games,
No. This simply is not true. The modern gameplay doesn't have a damn thing in common with the Genesis Sonics, and Generations Classic is basically Sonic 4 HD.

and the smooth gameplay that, aside from some incredibly stupid blunders, is free from glitches.
This is what I mean by "basic competence". It's like the fanbase has been so burned by games like '06, that suddenly not slipping through the geometry or dying during scripted segments is some great accomplishment.
  • Thumbs Up 1

No. This simply is not true. The modern gameplay doesn't have a damn thing in common with the Genesis Sonics, and Generations Classic is basically Sonic 4 HD.

This is what I mean by "basic competence". It's like the fanbase has been so burned by games like '06, that suddenly not slipping through the geometry or dying during scripted segments is some great accomplishment.

Edited by Bright Eyes
  • Thumbs Up 2

Other than me finding the bosses to be utter shit aside from Perfect Chaos and maybe Silver, I really liked it.

But I do find some things funny.

First, this game out of all of the 7th generation Sonic games is the one that seems to need DLC. Afterall, 06 and Unleashed got them. Of course, SEGA being SEGA, they are not giving us some. I mean come on, this game is ridiculously short. It NEEDS some more levels.

(DISCLAIMER: this may just be my GameFAQs experience talking. If so, I apologize. That site does things to your head) Second, like all 3D games, once a couple of months past, most of the fanbase now hates this like all the others. And I can say with almost 100% certainty, the same thing is going to happen with the next one too.

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Saying that Classic Sonic is basically Sonic 4 HD is a massive exageration. Sonic 4 was not so much bad because the physics did not resemble the classics but because the physics were flat out bad. The floating around and lack of any momentum was just a baffling design flaw that would apply to any platformer. In regards to Classic Sonic, maybe the rolling isn't good enough for you, the spindash is overpowered or there are too many scripted events but don't come out with nonsense that it's Sonic 4 HD. The Classic Sonic physics are perfectly fine (besides the spindash and irritating scripted events) and if you say otherwise you are probably living in a Classic Sonic fairyland. And I'm a Classic fan.

As for Modern Sonic, get off it. The Classic Sonic games whole selling point was that they were sidescrolling platformers that ran at a speed never before seen. They just happened to be amazing platformers with great level design. Oh wait, that's kind of what the majority of the Modern Sonic levels are like.

The game is not 'basic competance'. It is a great game that, like other great games, falls victim to dumb developer oversights and mistakes.

Really? Over that awesome medley that we got? I'd honestly have it for the Final Boss though, haha.

Honestly, nope. Let's see 3/4 of Unleashed, 1/2 of Colors and 1/9 of Generations. That's pretty much more than the majority. Many of the Modern Sonic levels really aren't that good in the design. Boostfest, linear hallways, QTEs, cheap challenges are what makes Unleashed's bad. Colors had pointless 3D section that were there for mostly spectacle, the 2D was full of block platforming and was boring and unengaging at quite a number of times. Generations... Green Hill is the worst we got.

Really? Over that awesome medley that we got? I'd honestly have it for the Final Boss though, haha.

Honestly, nope. Let's see 3/4 of Unleashed, 1/2 of Colors and 1/9 of Generations. That's pretty much more than the majority. Many of the Modern Sonic levels really aren't that good in the design. Boostfest, linear hallways, QTEs, cheap challenges are what makes Unleashed's bad. Colors had pointless 3D section that were there for mostly spectacle, the 2D was full of block platforming and was boring and unengaging at quite a number of times. Generations... Green Hill is the worst we got.

Saying that Classic Sonic is basically Sonic 4 HD is a massive exageration. Sonic 4 was not so much bad because the physics did not resemble the classics but because the physics were flat out bad. The floating around and lack of any momentum was just a baffling design flaw that would apply to any platformer. In regards to Classic Sonic, maybe the rolling isn't good enough for you, the spindash is overpowered or there are too many scripted events but don't come out with nonsense that it's Sonic 4 HD. The Classic Sonic physics are perfectly fine (besides the spindash and irritating scripted events) and if you say otherwise you are probably living in a Classic Sonic fairyland. And I'm a Classic fan.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've gotta agree with Dio here, the Classic levels in Generations ARE Sonic 4 HD (Quite funny, since that game is purportedly in HD). The physics are piss poor, the jump is hard to control, the spin dash is broken, and it just feels boring, and not fun at all.

Edited by Faseeh

I've gotta agree with Dio here, the Classic levels in Generations ARE Sonic 4 HD (Quite funny, since that game is purportedly in HD). The physics are piss poor, the jump is hard to control, the spin dash is broken, and it just feels boring, and not fun at all.

So do you have any reason besides insisting it? Between the physics being crappy and the level design basically never taking advantage of them, there's really not even a point of having them. It's about as much "classic Sonic" as Super Mario World.

Modern Sonic is not a good platformer. Its platforming is among the most basic kind possible. For a character with such unique abilities, they barely ever do anything with them, and when they do it's usually highly scripted. Sonic is a character built for curves and yet he's placed in a world made of squares. All the modern gameplay does that resembles the Genesis games is "go fast", and it does it in the shallowest way possible.

Edited by Bright Eyes
  • Thumbs Up 1