Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Two Years Later

Soniman

This may be a nitpick, but did anyone else think Classic Sonic looks a bit too small in most of the levels?

I'd agree with this for example. Sonic was way too small in the levels.

This may be a nitpick, but did anyone else think Classic Sonic looks a bit too small in most of the levels?

Yes, he looks too small. It's really noticeable in Seaside Hill.

Because I can?

What? I just want to know your opinion is all?

Don't you know how much you tease by not giving at least a brief explanation! :P

I'm talking too. Anyways, you know that Change Music feature in this game? BRILLIANT. FREAKING GENIUS. Man, this truly is an amazing game to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I always use US Stardust Speedway on Hard mode and the other one on Normal Mode for Metal Sonic.

Also those White World remixes truly are amazing.

I must have left Dreams Of An Absolution (White World.) on play for about an hour.

The physics are not poor. They handle perfectly fine and they never disrupt the flow of the game.
Again, bare minimum competence. The physics do not actively harm you, fine. That doesn't mean they're okay. That's the bare minimum for a playable game. And while that may be enough for some games, whose core concept is somewhere else in the design, the classic Sonic games were built on their use of physics. They're what defined them and set them apart from traditional Mario-style platformers. You need to go beyond physics that are merely inoffensive and design them with a goal in mind. Generations Classic has no goal; it's a blind-and-stupid aping of the Genesis games that results in something only superficially similar.

I won't be able to convince you of this though if you are living in a world where anything that isn't exactly the classic sonic games are inherently evil.
You don't have any argument that'll work against me so you're pouting. Who are you even trying to convince here? Because I damn well don't need you to tell me how I feel about the games.

As for Modern Sonic, you don't just 'boost-to-win' like everyone claims in an incredibly ignorant way
That's nice, but you should try to keep the argument to things that I have actually said here.

In fact if you just hold boost you will die,
So either you don't understand hyperbole, or you are intentionally taking the literal meaning because it's the only one you can defend against.

There is an abundance of free-roam and platforming in many levels.
Platforming, some. Free roam? Pff.

And as for the 3D platforming not being good because it doesn't exactly imitate the curves of 2D Platforming.
I'm not suggesting they design 3D levels the exact same way they'd design 2D levels (if they actually knew anything about designing 2D Sonic levels). I want them to take advantage of what curves can offer in 3D. Look at
look at
These are just scratching the surface of what Sonic can offer in 3D. But the modern games don't even try.

Whatever.
"Whatever" basically sums up your argument at this point. That is, you don't have one.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I used the rolling as an example because it is the most valid and noticeable point in the argument. I know and admit that the physics are not quite perfect but I think it is a stupid argument because it's drawing attention away from the problems in the game that actually matter.

What might mater to you, might not matter to someone else and the vice versa applies too. I've said this before. You need to realise this.

For example, I myself don't care about the Collection Room, while someone else might be a collector and love the addition of that.

What? I just want to know your opinion is all?

Don't you know how much you tease by not giving at least a brief explanation! tongue.png

Dio already said it. The platforming is about as barebones and boring as it can get, but is by no means terrible. Classic sections are also a letdown, I don't feel like I'm playing Classic Sonic which was the entire reason they put it in in the first place.

Overall it's mediocre, and it's been sitting on my game cabinet since last November.

Yeah I think we could go on for pages and pages and we aren't going to get anywhere new. I don't want to contiminate this thread with another of these 'Generation Physics' style of arguments so I'll call it a day and step down from this argument!

Let's agree to differ and dine with fine wine and camembert.

Edited by Bright Eyes
  • Thumbs Up 1

I must have left Dreams Of An Absolution (White World.) on play for about an hour.

I've never did that... I just... played the White World Medley a lot. A LOT. Oh and I still don't get why Balloon Park got two remixes but oh well.

I also just got to know that the soundtrack version of City Escape Blue Blur Remix AKA City Escape Act 2 adds more lyrics!

While the other people are arguing.

This is a Sonic forum. It's pretty much constant background noise around here.

God, I love that credits medley. I love the way it starts exactly the same way as the original Sonic 1 credits. It's one of those credits sequences where you can fast-forward through it, but I never do, it's too much nostalgic goodness.

• Thumbs Up 1

After getting over the nostalgia hype from last year, I don't really like the game that much anymore. Or more specifically, I can't really muster the strength to play it again when I just find it so boring and lackluster now.

Classic's gameplay was not Classic. I've accepted that, ever since we saw the first gameplay trailer and played the demo, I was not expecting Genesis physics, but at least physics that are, as Aaron Webber put it, "very close." But they weren't close at all, better then recent games, but still not as good as the classics. Can't roll downhill, can't bounce off enemies, can't spindash off an incline and use it to my advantage, and he felt much heavier then before. His level design, I will admit, was much better then almost anything we've see come out of Sonic in the past decade. (Though that's not saying alot)

Modern's gameplay was still too linear. Woohoo, we got Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill, but they're still not good enough. 1 or 2 Alternate routes, oh woohoo. Modern's gameplay feels like it keeps trying to break out from the invisible walls and long corridors, as if it's aching for freedom and like Classic, more physics developed gameplay. He's so confined most of the time, and for a majority of levels, I can still just hold the boost button (which eliminates almost all the challenge, especially since there's rings everywhere) and speedrun through the stage without breaking a sweat. You can say that's because I'm a Sonic fan and I've gotten used to the game, but alot of others say the same thing, it's just too easy.

He still controls pretty assy. Like I'm only meant to run forward and that's just it. Why can't I take my time and admire the stage and it's beauty without tilting over like a car or not being able to admire the stages because of the no camera control (which I still don't understand. It was in every other game except Colors and Gens.)

Another thing is the content. Or how incredibly easy it was to get it. The red Rings are not hidden very well. In most stages (Crisis City and Rooftop Run for example) I'd beat the stage and then it'd say "You collected all 5 Rings!" and I'd be confused, mainly because I wasn't even trying to go after the Red Rings. All the side missions can be done in about 2 hours (1 hour if you're incredibly fast) and after that there's nothing to really do gameplay wise except use skills to change Sonic's gameplay slightly.

I'm just bored of it. I am interested to see what Sonic Team does next because of Iizuka comment of how they're trying something new next, which is probably why we haven't seen nor heard anything from them lately. They're probably creating a new physics engine (hopefully).

Also, take note. I'm not saying this i why you shouldn't like this game or you are a bad person for liking this game and here's why. I'm just pointing out some flaws and reasons on why I don't like it that much anymore. So don't waste my time going like "You're opinion is wrong/sucks because of" if you are going to reply. Alot of people around here seem to have that problem.

Edit: Whoops forgot to mention. Love the music though. One of the best soundtracks in a Sonic game.

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 6

I think I might get ALOT of hate over this but in my opinion Generations, to me, is not the game that will revitalize the franchise and it will take alot more than generations to fix some of sonic's wrongs. I think that the reason behind the game's praise comes from the fact that the game is comprised of Sonic's VERY BEST MOMENTS, his most iconic stages, greatest music tracks and most of all the best gameplay styles in the franchise among fans. Due to this, the game does not really have any of that originality that you could compliment the stellar Sonic Colours for. True, it is an anniversary game, and true, most likely one of the best ones out there, but when I hear people say this is the best sonic game in years, even better than colours, it makes me feel as if the fanbase standard has been set so low that they are able to feel the best game in the franchise is a HD recreation of assets of games that are at the least two years old.

I personally will wait for the next BIG sonic title to sweep me off my feet before I conclude the series is on the right track, as Unleashed and Colours to me were great titles, but may have been fluked (I consider Unleashed to be the first step towards the brighter years, not the last of the dark ages). I was relying on Sonic 4:Episode 2 to put my skeptisism at rest, but that game was a dissapointment for me.

This game is incredibly "meh" last year I remember being hyped as all hell for it, but after playing it I've had little to no desire to play it again after the initial, and even then I didn't really have any drive to finish it.

Classic gameplay is not good, it's inoffensive and plays fine, but it really misses the point of what it's trying to be, and that's just as bad in my opinion. I had fun with it, but I didn't feel like I was playing Classic Gameplay, which was the entire selling point of Classic Sonic to begin with, so fun means absolutely nothing in this case.

Modern gameplay is better, but nowhere near as good as it could be as it still focuses primarily on being a spectacle, and not trying to blend Speed/Platforming together to make something truly unique. Some levels are decent, I'll give it that much tho.

The story is completely lackluster and barebones, doesn't try to properly structure it's events, and wastes your times trying to tell a story that's not even there. The characters returning mean absolutely fuck all, and are just there for fanservice and to look pretty. Classic is pretty boring as a character as nothing he did really stood out to me, and his chemistry with Modern is also boring, it's basically just a generic "Big bro, little bro" relationship with no build up.

There's hardly any extra content aside from side missions which don't reward you with much, and are more or less 30 second levels.

The game doesn't really hold up well by itself, because if it wasn't for the nostalgia, this game would be nowhere near as loved, it would just be another Sonic game as far the public is concerned, and it would have been forgotten by now. As a general game, it's pretty good but as a Sonic anniversary title, it's incredibly boring and unappealing and unless you're a diehard fan of the series, there's no reason to pick it up. It's basically catching dust on my shelf.

I could understand Sonic Team trying to play it safe considering their last Anniversary title bombed, but as a result their games just don't have any lasting appeal anymore, it's like you play it and just move on to something better. It's technically a pretty damn good game, and it's well designed it just has no real ambition or drive behind it.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 2

Wow this topic didn't even last a page before:

-Arguing with whatever Dio says

-Arguing about physics for the 40th time

-Arguing about opinions for to 20th time

Can't some of you people just suck it up and leave well enough alone?

• Thumbs Up 9

I've been playing Sonic Generations consistently ever since its release day last year. I loved it then, and I still love it now.

I’m no physics whore or anything, so I really enjoy playing the Classic Sonic stages. Level design has always been one of the very most important factors in a platformer to me, and I’d say that Generations did a pretty good job on this overall. Yes, the rolling could definitely be better, but by no means does it ruin the game at all for me.

I won’t deny that this game has its flaws, but like -The Joker- said earlier, I just had a lot fun playing through this, and really, that’s what video games are all about in the first place.

So yeah, I think Sonic Generations is pretty awesome. I still like the classics better overall (Sonic 3 & Knuckles is still the perfect game to me), but on its own, Generations is great.

• Thumbs Up 2

>Opens topic about Generations

>Gets mad when people voice their criticisms.

Really? If you didn't want to hear negative opinion, why the hell did you open this topic? I mean seriously, you always do this.

Missed the point like I expected.

I don't give a shit your opinion is negative (which you always cause me of), but do you really have to go after each others throats and arguing about the same things we've been arguing about countless times before?

I don't give a shit your opinion is negative (which you always cause me of), but do you really have to go after each others throats and arguing about the same things we've been arguing about countless times before?

It's a FORUM, it's what we DO, it's like getting upset that the sky is blue.

If you don't like seeing people arguing, then you should have never opened this thread, you know people are divisive about this game and you opened it with that thought in mind, yet you constantly get upset when people argue about it.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 2

Eh, despite it not having good rolling physics, despite Modern gameplay having the boost, I think this is the best 3d Sonic game because I have lots of fun with it's gameplay. It may not have Classic gameplay in 3d, it may not have multiple playable characters, it may not have a great story.....But that's okay! Because I think it's really fun (both types of gameplay) and to be honest it has my favourite 3d gameplay style of all (With it's great blend of speed, exploration and platforming) And really, fun is what matters to me. In a Sonic game, hell in ANY game. Not that's it's not flawed, but on it's own, I still think it's a great game.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a FORUM, it's what we DO, it's like getting upset that the sky is blue.

If you don't like seeing people arguing, then you should have never opened this thread, you know people are divisive about this game and you opened it with that thought in mind, yet you constantly get upset when people argue about it.

Fine, ill leave it alone then.

You know what's funny? When a new game is announced/comes out everyone is like "Awwwwww it's teh best Sonic game evah! It's teh best game since S3&K and it's DEFINITELY better that your precious Adventure gaems and what have you!" If you call the game mediocre or DARE to call it meh or nothing special, everyone becomes so angry like you killed their dog or something.. And another thing happens every single time as well. When a year passes or two.. Everyone begins to think sober and sees that the game is indeed mediocre/not so great etc.

This happened with Unleashed, this happened with Colors (God, with Colors it was at it's worse), this is happening now with Generations.

Just my thoughts..

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 4