Awoo.

Sonic Generations: Two Years Later

Soniman

Rayman Origins is a bad example to use because there was a deeper story to it originally, before all of it ended up on the cutting room floor. Why they got rid of it is anyone's guess. Rayman 2 also had a decent plot for what it was trying to do. 3 was mostly an excuse for slapstick, but for some people that worked just fine.

I don't care too much about having intricate plots in Sonic games, but I do care about character interaction, and that applies to just about every work out there. Even Mario does it far better than Sonic most of the time. Colors was good in this respect I thought, but Generations completely missed out on a potential character study on Sonic himself. Sonic has a large cast but you never see them mingle in any meaningful way anymore. I'm sure that even with the barebones plot that Generations had, if it just focused on the characters themselves, a lot more people would have loved it.

Hell, fucking Mickey Mouse focuses on the characters more than Sonic does. In the Disney classic shorts, the characters drive the entire stories. Everyone in the Sonic series feels just about expendable.

As for the game itself, I do still like Generations but I just haven't felt like going back to it again.

• Thumbs Up 8

Nobody cares when Rayman Origins disregards everything about Rayman.

Nobody cares when Mario does whatever the fuck.

As Soon as Sonic goes "Fuck it we're just going to make a game this time", people bitch.

You're just searching for things to complain about now.

Sonic has had more story than both of those games for over 10 years now, even if they did generally suck, the fact is; If you're going to have a full voice acting, a large recurring cast with different personalities, and hire new writers. FUCKING DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!.

I mean what is the point of having all of these characters, voice actors, and this entire mythos if they're just going to waste it all? You may as well kill everybody not named Sonic & Eggman off if that's the attitude you want to have.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gameplay is not the only thing that makes a game good, but it's most of it, because the gameplay, is, well, the fucking game. Also, I think overall atmosphere, art style and music are quite a bit more important then story. A game can have a good atmosphere because of the following things, and can feel like it has "soul" even if it doesn't have a good story.

So, bad story does not automatically equal a soulless game in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rayman Origins is a bad example to use because there was a deeper story to it originally, before all of it ended up on the cutting room floor.

'

I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what happened to Generations. All those unused CGI cutscenes, the story starting out with colors style humor before dropping off the face of the planet. Classic Tails appearing out of thin air. I feel like they just cut a lot of cutscenes last minute.

I think all of the unused CGI we saw in the trailers was confirmed to be for marketing purposes at the outset anyway, which is an absolute shame as I came into the game expecting to fight the Time Eater in Green Hill instead of yet another chaotic dimension.

Carbo has a point where she says Sonic Team have no fucking clue what they're doing; Generations seems more like a game trying to please the unpleasable fanbase, instead of a good game celebrating the series, and it's pretty damn obvious with everything it's trying to do.

I mean where the hell are they supposed to go from here? I mean generally when you follow a series, you should have some idea of where it's going even if you don't know exactly what will come, but with Sonic, I don't get that. They've done so much different shit that the moment you get used to something, they trash it and bring in something else. Even with the last three games, they feel more like expansion packs than a natural progression going somewhere. I think that's Sonic Team's problem, they lack direction and purpose, they're just going through the motions and make whatever pops into their head, regardless of the context and are trying oh so hard to please the masses instead of just making a good game. I can't tell you how annoying that is because I really love this series, but I hate to see it going virtually nowhere all because the development team not caring.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic has had more story than both of those games for over 10 years now, even if they did generally suck, the fact is; If you're going to have a full voice acting, a large recurring cast with different personalities, and hire new writers. FUCKING DO SOMETHING WITH IT!!!.

I mean what is the point of having all of these characters, voice actors, and this entire mythos if they're just going to waste it all? You may as well kill everybody not named Sonic & Eggman off if that's the attitude you want to have.

"Oh my god they neglected the characters for one game we'll never see them again."

You have to remember that this isn't any old Sonic game. It's the anniversary title. A fanservice game. Bitching about this not having a story is like bitching about Smash Bros not having a story.

Smash Bros did have a story though...the latest one at least.

And it made absolutely zero sense within context of literally every other Nintendo game.Even the other Smash bros games. Nobody cared, of course.

^To be fair, an anniversary game like is going to have alot of expectations regarding gameplay and story. This happenend with 06' and it happened again with this game. When those expectations are not met, dissapointment will ensue.

But then again, I'm just one of those weird fans who got some enjoyment from the story mostly because I expected nothing more than getting a good game and that's what I got.

I may grow tiresome about complaints about the story now and then, but I least I can get behind them to some extent.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

"Oh my god they neglected the characters for one game we'll never see them again."

You have to remember that this isn't any old Sonic game. It's the anniversary title. A fanservice game. Bitching about this not having a story is like bitching about Smash Bros not having a story.

A Shitty story is a shitty story, I don't give a shit this is an anniversary title, and I don't really think that's a viable excuse.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're right; Generations is an anniversary title, one meant to celebrate the franchise's entire existence, so for the story to not care about any of those elements beyond them merely showing up for class is ass backwards. There is nothing positive about Generations dropping the ball so hard on its story and development, especially since we will probably never see such a title again and thus the potential is now permanently wasted all over the floor, nor do I see how Smash Bros. is even analogous to this situation in any meaningful way when they're completely different series with different goals, and even then Brawl managed a more relevant story than Generations did anyway.

And ultimately, none of what you've said thus far justifies shit writing. Nothing justifies shit writing for a work that endeavors to have a story.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, if you guys honestly haven't had a satisfying Sonic game in over ten years, maybe it's time to just quit the series? I was thrilled with Sonic Generations, it hit all the right spots with me, and the shortcomings were easy to ignore when I was having so much fun playing the game from start to finish.

For those of you so up in arms about the uncaring Sonic Team that doesn't care about its product yet simultaenously is trying to hard to please the unpleasable fanbase (???) maybe it's time you switched to a different franchise. It's possible that the Sonic games are going to continue to improve, but it's almost certain that that improvement will happen along the same path we're on now, and since you're so darn unhappy with that path, why not just admit that this series isn't what you want anymore?

This is the Sonic series right now. While the majority of the customer base are enjoying the product, it's not gonna drastically change because you're so miserable about it.

This is the best post I have seen on this forum. So true.

Well said GOG. Sometimes I actually feel bad for liking this game.

Edited by DarkLightDragon
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, if you guys honestly haven't had a satisfying Sonic game in over ten years, maybe it's time to just quit the series? I was thrilled with Sonic Generations, it hit all the right spots with me, and the shortcomings were easy to ignore when I was having so much fun playing the game from start to finish.

For those of you so up in arms about the uncaring Sonic Team that doesn't care about its product yet simultaenously is trying to hard to please the unpleasable fanbase (???) maybe it's time you switched to a different franchise. It's possible that the Sonic games are going to continue to improve, but it's almost certain that that improvement will happen along the same path we're on now, and since you're so darn unhappy with that path, why not just admit that this series isn't what you want anymore?

This is the Sonic series right now. While the majority of the customer base are enjoying the product, it's not gonna drastically change because you're so miserable about it.

Ya know, just because we criticize the series a lot doesn't mean we're still not holding out for that game that's actually pretty good in all aspects.

I also think it is important to acknowledge that a lot of the problems that people have had with Sonic Generations such as the physics are unknown to anyone outside the super-serious and harcore forum.

Everyone who I know in real-life loved Sonic Generations and Sonic Colours.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ya know, just because we criticize the series a lot doesn't mean we're still not holding out for that game that's actually pretty good in all aspects.

Looking at your posts, I'm sad to say that will never ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

^Well said GOG. This kind of talk makes me feel bad for liking this game.

I'm getting really annoyed at people getting upset when somebody criticizes something they like.

Looking at your posts, I'm sad to say that will never ever happen.

Well even if it doesn't, does that mean I'm not allowed to follow the series anyway? There are lots a problems with the things I love, doesn't mean I'm going to drop them at the drop of a hat.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've never seen a game, let along a Sonic game, hit the mark in every single way. You'll be holding out for a while.

Sonic 3AK the sequel is not going to ever come out. You are waiting for a product that doesn't exist. It's not just Sonic: Halo, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear have the same problem with fans unable to accept any change.

If you honestly did not think Generations was good I would stop holding out. The public and critics love the gamestyle you hate. You are just setting yourself up for disapointment.

That's another thing. Why do people want a change in gameplay style when Sega FINALLY found one that's consistent and the public actually likes? It can do raw speed and platforming really well. Sure, it doesn't use the momentum gameplay from the classics, but no franchise plays exactly like their 2D games in 3D. Most of the time, they have to take a different approach entirely.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 3AK the sequel is not going to ever come out. You are waiting for a product that doesn't exist. It's not just Sonic: Halo, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear have the same problem with fans unable to accept any change.

If you honestly did not think Generations was good I would stop holding out. The public and critics love the gamestyle you hate. You are just setting yourself up for disapointment.

Ya know what you're right? Why the fuck should I care about a series that I love enough to stay with for 10 years of my life, buy every single game, and make essays about. No, clearly I should just sit down and not criticize a damn thing, and accept whatever half assed product Sonic Team shovel out, and make up excuses on why everyone should love this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm getting really annoyed at people getting upset when somebody criticizes something they like.

Well even if it doesn't, that does mean I'm not allowed to follow the series anyway? There are lots a problems with the things I love, doesn't mean I'm going to drop them at the drop of a hat.

It's mainly the broad generalisations and belittling of opinions that clash with your own that makes them upset, not the general criticism. Beyond that, if you wanna follow a series you don't like anymore, then be my guest.

I'll give you an example of a series I used to love, but which got turned completely sour for me by executive decisions and shortcuts I disliked: Mass Effect. That series leaves a sour taste in my mouth these days, that's why I don't frequent the Bioware forums or the Mass Effect wiki anymore. I can't see the point in getting involved in a franchise I don't like.

• Thumbs Up 3

A Shitty story is a shitty story, I don't give a shit this is an anniversary title, and I don't really think that's a viable excuse.

But what is a bad story compared to great music, good graphics (although at times, screens can become cluttered or you can't tell what's happening ahead), nice gameplay, and good presentation? One fifth against four. I know that's 20% and that's a fair amount, but you seem to be working it up to be a bigger issue than it really is.

Ya know what you're right? Why the fuck should I care about a series that I love enough to stay with for 10 years of my life, buy every single game, and make essays about. No, clearly I should just sit down and not criticize a damn thing, and accept whatever half assed product Sonic Team shovel out, and make up excuses on why everyone should love this game.

Case and point. This would be a viable counterargument if you were talking about gameplay, but since you wrote this up to argue about the story of the series, I'm questioning whether you have you priorities straight when it comes to video games. I understand stories have become vital parts, but not vital enough for this tier of sarcasm.

Edited by Mr. Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 3