Awoo.

The Sonic Adventure Duology: Best stories in the series.

Kuzu

Sonic Adventure's story is a good idea, but its execution is questionable. I especially liked how it actually has something to do with the older titles.

Sonic Adventure 2's story is hilarious. Third "best" story in the series, beaten only by Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic Adventure 2's story is laughable in retrospect. Between people somehow mistaking Shadow for Sonic, the limo scene with the president of the United Federation and Rouge throughout the entire fucking story, I just can't take it seriously anymore. I mean really:

...but Knuckles and Rouge were fighting before that...Knuckles could just as well hurt one of her wings...

132132623442.jpg

Just reading what the OP wrote should have been the setup for a Sonic movie IMHO...Sadly this duology was only for gaming

Edited by novelty

I read the OP, but my point still stands. I don't feel inclined to call it one of the best stories in the series when there's so much wrong with it that I can't take it seriously.

Sonic Adventure's story I still think at its core holds up, Sonic Adventure 2's does not.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 4

I read the OP, but my point still stands. I don't feel inclined to call it one of the best stories in the series when there's so much wrong with it that I can't take it seriously.

Sonic Adventure's story I still think at its core holds up, Sonic Adventure 2's does not.

Ok that's fair, but I don't see how it's worse than anything else in the series, I mean if you find Sonic Adventure 2 to be stupid, and laughable what does that make entries like Heroes, and Shadow? I never said it was perfect, but I think it hits the mark better than other games do.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

Heroes was stupid, like really stupid. But it was relatively harmless in its story and general presentation.

Sonic and friends beat the shit out of Eggman/Metal Sonic while spouting some shit about teamwork. Metal Sonic turns into a big bag junk dragon, super power of teamwork engage, badda bing badda boom end of game.

And I still think we got a decent plot thread out of Shadow's story, to bad it was ruined in the next game.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Heroes was stupid, like really stupid. But it was relatively harmless in its story and general presentation.

Well it brought Shadow back among other things..

And I still think we got a decent plot thread out of Shadow's story, to bad it was ruined in the next game.

que?

I meant the whole mystery of whether or not Shadow was the real thing or just an android, I actually thought that was genuinely interesting.

Sonic and friends beat the shit out of Eggman/Metal Sonic while spouting some shit about teamwork. Metal Sonic turns into a big bag junk dragon, super power of teamwork engage, badda bing badda boom end of game.

Tell that to the psychological damage I got from Clement's playthrough.

SA1's story was great, it expanded on S3K's story pretty well.

SA2 though... I like it it, but it's just so... out of place? I don't know, but the thought of government conspiracy in a Sonic game is just weird.

EDIT: Actually wait, Heroes story was fine, it's the writing that damaged me.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 1

I meant the whole mystery of whether or not Shadow was the real thing or just an android, I actually thought that was genuinely interesting.

I'd find it a lot more interesting if it wasn't born from hastily bringing Shadow back, and yeah they kind of dropped the ball on it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd find it a lot more interesting if it wasn't born from hastily bringing Shadow back, and yeah they kind of dropped the ball on it.

Well, what if Shadow really was an android? Then It would've made some amount of sense for him to be brought back so suddenly.

But alas.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, what if Shadow really was an android? Then It would've made some amount of sense for him to be brought back so suddenly.

But alas.

Well he was already an artificial being to begin with, so it's not too hard to assume that.

SA2's story isn't quite as bad as everyone makes out. Sure, it's naff but I wouldn't say it was much worse than SA1's which is also hilariously bad.

I actually don't mind SA1, SA2 and even Shadow's stories. They were hilarious and provide many a laugh. As opposed to Sonic 06 which was traumatic.

I'd say the adventure games, StHh, and Sonic Unleashed were some of the best plots for Sonic games to date. All of those really expanded a lot of aspects of the Sonic Universe we have not seen before. Also Sonic Chronicles was epic too, and had a lot of direct plot interaction being a RPG.

oops. wrong topic.

Edited by The Arcane Arceus
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like both stories, especially SA1's. SA2's does seem more out of place in the series, but I think SA1's was just fine for the series. I don't treat them like popcorn flicks by any means, but I definitely think some fans make both stories seem much worse than they truly are.

Anyways, I still love that scene in Gamma's story when Eggman goes:

"dummies!! DUMMIES!! DUMMIES!! DUMMIES!! DUMMIES!!"

Edited by Mr.Snarf

I like the plot of SA1 more than 2. It stayed simple and was pretty childish and tried to stay unreal. SA2 had it's moments, but in the end to me felt like it was trying to appeal itself to more mature serious people. Not to Shadow the hedgehog levels, but still a pretty serious/deep story at it's core. SA balanced it out pretty well to me. It stayed light and Sonic like while still having a plot that could advance from just Sonic saves the day. Character development, a conflict and climax, suspence,etc. Something like that mixed with Unleashed with the Storybook writers would probably kill me with joy.

132132623442.jpg

Why are you sighing? Depressed?

Joking aside, I'll admit Sega did pretty okay for their first two attempt but they are some glaring issues that are hard for me to overlook.

There are quite a few story lines that could've been easily omitted. The two that come to mind are Big's from SA1 and Knuckles from SA2. Both of their stories could easily be written out without impacting the overall story too much.

The only thing Big's story in SA1 is good for is explaining where one of the seven chaos emeralds come from which could just easily been re-written into saying that one of Eggman's robots found it. We don't need to know where every emerald came from.

The only level of Knuckles from SA2 that has any impact on the overall story is Death Chamber and again that could've easily been written out. Between the other 4 levels and the Master Emerald somehow being at Wild Canyon / Dry Oasis at the beginning, I can't help but feel that Knuckles' story was shoehorned into SA2.

I remember hearing something about how only Sonic, Eggman, and Knuckles were suppose to be the only ones playable in SA2 and it would've had a Shadow the Hedgehog-esque morality system with branching story lines. The latter sounds unnecessary but the former sounds like it would've been better seeing how Shadow, Tails, and Rouge's game play were just copy pastes of Sonic, Eggman and Knuckles. Always wondered how that would've turned out.

To be fair, Knuckles was kind of integral to the plot in the last story where he stopped the emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Except that didn't do anything and Gerald's plan still continued.

He helped Sonic & Shadow go Super, that's something,

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Adventure 2's story is laughable in retrospect. Between people somehow mistaking Shadow for Sonic,

Sonic was the only hedgehog known at the time with a body type that had spikes jutting from the back of his head, and is capable of utterly thrashing machinery. And you're telling me it's laughable for people to look at another hedgehog with those same abilities and a similar silhouette to boot and mistake him for Sonic?

Rouge throughout the entire fucking story, I just can't take it seriously anymore. I mean really:

So aside from the scene where she fell and forgot she had wings to fly, what else did she do throughout the entire story that was laughable?

Except that didn't do anything and Gerald's plan still continued.

Because the Biolizard took control over everything and kept it going. The Master Emerald wasn't able to stop that after it already teleported outside the colony.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic