Awoo.

The biggest problem with Sonic games

BarleyFields

I think I will outline the biggest problems that Sonic games in general face. As I am not a hardcore fan I am therefore the least biased person to make such claims. Here are the problems (in no order):

1) Humans in Sonic

I played Adventure over my friends' house and this just really got to me. There should not be any humans in a Sonic game besides Dr Robotnik. It makes no sense with blue hedgehogs and orange foxes to then attempt realism by putting humans in. It's stupid and should never be done again. I'm not sure if it has ever been done since because there were no humans in Generations. And thank goodness for that.

2) Sonic's friends

Not all of Sonic's friends are completely useless. Tails is alright I guess. But the rest of them are all atrocious (especially Shadow). When I loaded up Generations I thought all his friends had been sucked into a black hole to be gone forever...lest that was not to be. Unfortunately they still plague the series. Sonic is a great mascot and character and he doesn't need lame and annoying friends cramping his style.

3) Making Sonic games to slow

Sonic 2 was the pinnacle of the hedgehog because it was the game to get the speed absolutely spot on. Some games such as Sonic 4 and the Adventure games either have too much clunky, slow platforming or are too slow paced. This is a Sonic game and the whole purpose of Sonic is to be fast. At least Sonic 1, CD, 3 and Generations got this right (although not to the same master-class as Sonic 2)

4) Not putting enough time and effort into polish

Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4 are so half-assed it's unbelievable. If I'm paying for a game I want to know that the developers actually bothered with it. Floating around with moon-physics and glitching to death with camera problems seem to be common problems with poor Sonic games. This stuff needs to be completely gone from a game to justify me buying it.

So these are my problems. Of course I have other naggling issues (terrible garage rock adventure music, gimped Super Sonic e.t.c) but these are the most obvious to me.

Do you guys agree? Well seeing as you guys are bigger fans than me these problems probably go round your head all the time. Still, it's interesting to comment!

• Thumbs Up 1

While I agree that humans in Sonic are out of place, I don't they they should be completely removed. Otherwise why would Eggman being there make any sense? I think there should be a blend of Anthro and Human NPC's.

Everything else you said is dumb and I disagree.

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 6

1) Humans in Sonic

I played Adventure over my friends' house and this just really got to me. There should not be any humans in a Sonic game besides Dr Robotnik. It makes no sense with blue hedgehogs and orange foxes to then attempt realism by putting humans in. It's stupid and should never be done again. I'm not sure if it has ever been done since because there were no humans in Generations. And thank goodness for that.

Dude, what i am about to say to you i say as a friend; either delete that paragraph, or run away, run far far away and never look back! Because you are going to get SO much hate for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool story, bro.

You seem to be a bit too in love with the Classics.

I grew up with Dreamcast era so I don't agree with anything you said. :3

Edited by Yūki Hazama Terumi
  • Thumbs Up 2

While I agree that humans in Sonic are out of place, I don't they they should be completely removed. Otherwise why would Eggman being there make any sense? I think there should be a blend of Anthro and Human NPC's.

Everything else you said is dumb and I disagree.

You actually attempted to argue with me so I will give a response smile.png

Eggman only makes sense because he is the only human in an otherwise animal game. He is the ultimate metaphor of how industrialisation destroys nature. Any other humans destroy this balance and confuses the whole message of what Sonic was about.

It's quite simple really

Edited by BarleyFields

You actually attempted to argue with me so I will give a response smile.png

Eggman only makes sense because he is the only human in an otherwise animal game. He is the ultimate metaphor of how industrialisation destroys nature. Any other humans destroy this balance and confuses the whole message of what Sonic was about.

It's quite simple really

Back then Sonic was ment for kids. Now it's ment for young teens.

That doesn't change a thing. Industry VS Nature can work just as well for teenagers and adults.

I think I will outline the biggest problems that Sonic games in general face. As I am not a hardcore fan I am therefore the least biased person to make such claims. Here are the problems (in no order):

1) Humans in Sonic

2) Sonic's friends

Not all of Sonic's friends are completely useless. Tails is alright I guess. But the rest of them are all atrocious (especially Shadow). When I loaded up Generations I thought all his friends had been sucked into a black hole to be gone forever...lest that was not to be. Unfortunately they still plague the series. Sonic is a great mascot and character and he doesn't need lame and annoying friends cramping his style.

3) Making Sonic games to slow

Sonic 2 was the pinnacle of the hedgehog because it was the game to get the speed absolutely spot on. Some games such as Sonic 4 and the Adventure games either have too much clunky, slow platforming or are too slow paced. This is a Sonic game and the whole purpose of Sonic is to be fast. At least Sonic 1, CD, 3 and Generations got this right (although not to the same master-class as Sonic 2)

4) Not putting enough time and effort into polish

Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4 are so half-assed it's unbelievable. If I'm paying for a game I want to know that the developers actually bothered with it. Floating around with moon-physics and glitching to death with camera problems seem to be common problems with poor Sonic games. This stuff needs to be completely gone from a game to justify me buying it.

So these are my problems. Of course I have other naggling issues (terrible garage rock adventure music, gimped Super Sonic e.t.c) but these are the most obvious to me.

Do you guys agree? Well seeing as you guys are bigger fans than me these problems probably go round your head all the time. Still, it's interesting to comment!

Hi there, Chris Bores.

That doesn't change a thing. Industry VS Nature can work just as well for teenagers and adults.

It's too simple to be interesting. It's Story > Moral with teens/adults.

Children are easily influenced. Teenagers and adults aren't.

Im not even sure if that's true, but either way it has nothing to do with the issue that BarleyFields was talking about...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know about that, considering the way they advertised the games back in the day.

Edited by Enderwoman

It's too simple to be interesting. Story > Moral.

Children are easily influenced. Teenagers and adults aren't.

It certainly is not too simple to be interesting. Have you seen dancing with wolves or, hell, even Avatar. Both focus on Industry vs Nature.

And you are seriously saying teenagers and adults can't be influenced as easily as children? Wha...?

I don't know about that, considering the way they advertised the games back in the day.

It's an assumption. It doesn't look like a teen game at all. I wasn't around at that time lol.

It certainly is not too simple to be interesting. Have you seen dancing with wolves or, hell, even Avatar. Both focus on Industry vs Nature.

And you are seriously saying teenagers and adults can't be influenced as easily as children? Wha...?

I have no idea what Dancing with Wolves is. As for Avatar, Avatar had a story to back it up.

And no, they really aren't.

It's an assumption. It doesn't look like a teen game at all. I wasn't around at that time lol.

I have no idea what Dancing with Wolves is. As for Avatar, Avatar had a story to back it up.

And no, they really aren't.

What was the story of Avatar all about? The big message and focal point of the storyline?

Take a guess...hmm?

INDUSTRY VS NATURE PERHAPS?

What was the story of Avatar all about? The big message and focal point of the storyline?

Take a guess...hmm?

INDUSTRY VS NATURE PERHAPS?

That was the moral. The story was about that guy who's name I forgot and he could go into the body of a blue guy and blablabla.

That was the moral. The story was about that guy who's name I forgot and he could go into the body of a blue guy and blablabla.

You clearly don't understand much about plot development! So we can end this little discussion.

=Eggman only makes sense because he is the only human in an otherwise animal game. He is the ultimate metaphor of how industrialisation destroys nature. Any other humans destroy this balance and confuses the whole message of what Sonic was about.

I can't say I'm cool with the notion that "Humans Are Nature Killing Bastards" is the "message" of the Sonic series...

• Thumbs Up 2

I can assure you that the Sonic series was marketed to both teenagers and children from the very start. A huge part of the Genesis marketing strategy was to, in part, aim for an older crowd than Nintendo did.

Also, i dont undertstand why you seem to think that having a "nature vs technology"-theme is something that prevents a more complex story. A story can have a simple moral yet still be a complex story...

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

BarelyFields, let me riddle you this. How are humans that big of a problem in Sonic games? I was okay with them in Unleashed, becuase of their PIXAR-like appearance fitting with the cartoony world and feel of Sonic. The only time I had a problem with them was in Sonic 2006, when they looked like lifeless puppets.

In short, there's no problem with humans, unless they fit in with the world of Sonic, and Unleashed & Adventure did that right, '06 did not.

Edited by Rayman

You clearly don't understand much about plot development! So we can end this little discussion.

My god you're thick lol.

Do you even know what the difference between plot and moral is?

Let's indeed end this discussion. I'm not wasting my precious time.

I can't say I'm cool with the notion that "Humans Are Nature Killing Bastards" is the "message" of the Sonic series...

Except it clearly is and you are putting it into as exaggerated words as you possibly can.

Didn't you get what the message of the old Sonic games were all about?

BarelyFields, let me riddle you this. How are humans that big of a problem in Sonic games? I was okay with them in Unleashed, becuase of their PIXAR-like appearance fitting with the cartoony world and feel of Sonic. The only time I had a problem with them was in Sonic 2006, when they looked like lifeless puppets.

I've already answered this in the previous page.

Edited by BarleyFields