Awoo.

Hurricane Sandy: Bounty Sunk, Floods in Cities, Trampoline! Keep Calm & Play Videogames.

Badnik Mechanic

Meanwhile, in Georgia, it was a little windy yesterday...

S'bout it.

No really, all of you Eastern Seaboard peeps north of me who are experiencing this catastrophe should totally come on down here to my place instead. I've got sunshine and chocolate chip cookies for everyone. Only one extra bed though. ):

Funny you mentioned Georgia, as I will be heading down there this Friday for a quick day trip. I can't wait to get down there after dealing with all of this! Mmmm chocolate chip cookies...thanks for the offer though. smile.png

Here in Northern Virginia, the winds are howling and blowing strong amid heavy rains. I'm surprised that my umbrella didn't snap in half with the winds blowing as strong as it is. I thought my car was going to flip over as I was driving home from work tonight. Speaking of work, the airport, all forms of public transportation, the government, and schools are all shut down. That meant that my parents, sisters and brother currently have time off from work and my nieces and nephews have time off from school. Go figure I would be the only one that still has to work. I work in a grocery store and I have been working overtime the past couple of days and I'm expected to be there tomorrow. No time off for me amid this hurricane. Oh well. It will all be worth it come payday next week. wink.png

I'm just glad that we have power at this point. As many others have mentioned, between now and the end of this please be safe everyone. Looking forward to sunny skies soon! tongue.png

Because of the hurricane, the backup generators in NYU Hospital failed, so it's being evacuated. I'm watchng ABC 7 Eyewitness News, and there are more than fifty ambulances lined up to pick up the people. There are about 200 patients. Because of the failure, the elevators are out. So all of the passengers are being carried or stretchered out down the stairs.

The Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel flooding reached an all-time record, with 11.25 feet of seawater.

Several tunnels in the eastern portion of the Subway system have around four feet of seawater. It may take fourteen hours to four days to pump out the water. But to make it worse, it's seawater; the rails, junctions, and signals are very sensitive to seawater.

To recap, Battery Park City, the FDR Drive, South Ferry, Tribeca, the Belt Parkway, and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel are flooded.

Parts of Brooklyn such as Coney Island and Manhattan Beach are hit and were hit with evacuation mandates.

On the NYC Transit Forums, a friend of a user named peacemak3r posted a photo on Facebook showing the flooding of the rails at the Avenue U station on the (N) line:

ntkvk.jpg

Link.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

That's catastrophic. The damage the water could do could result in public transit being disabled for more than just a few days.

Edited by King Of Awesome

So what did blocking off the vents and whatnot do if it's turned into an aqueduct anyway? Just delay it for an hour or so?

Edited by Tornado

Welp, my Internet, Cable and I assume my phone are out and have been for the past 5 hours. In case you're wondering I'm on my iPhone typing this because apparently 3G still works.

Brother I miss you D: I hope your power returns soon sad.png.

P.S.: I read/found that manga tongue.png ...I have no shame.

Edited by Noel Mu-12 Vermillion

This is intense stuff, I am honestly at a loss for words.

All I can do is hope it doesn't do too much damage from over this side of the pond >.<

Well, the worse of the storm has pretty much passed in New York City. Winds are finally starting to die down as of now.

I hope the rest of you in the Northeast area remain safe. I did hear some other states are just now entering the worst part of the storm.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised I hadn't been hit harder. All the different predictions of the paths missed my town, so I think I'll be fine. But damn, there are sharks on people's front lawns right now. Now THAT is scary. Now THAT is HALLOWEEN.

Seriously, people blowing this off as just a bunch of wind and rain don't know there's a LOT of shit in play here.

p.s. thread theme

Edited by Mr. Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 1

People are friggin' stupid if they think it's just a little wind. The biggest threat is the storm surges, and the surges from Sandy are massive.

Well, I'm fine. Likely to the chagrin of Blue Wisp.

My area mostly got wind, as the fallen tree in the neighbors' yard can attest. I think the yard is flooded a bit.

And I ended up sleeping through most of the storm.

Welp, survived the worst of the winds here, with no power-outage (at least around here) surprisingly. The worst is over, for Toronto at least.

Don't worry guys, I lived.

Got real lucky, actually; aside from losing power for about 3-4 hours last night (and a few brief flickers leading up to that) we made it through unscathed.

The buildings you see with lights are the ones with working generators, New York was at blackout last night.

_63792114_63792113.jpg

The storm surge was around 4m according to the BBC

_63792112_63792111.jpg

New Jersey Subway system.

_63792234_63792233.jpg

Breezy Point.

20121030_HP_STORM-slide-XR23-articleLarge.jpg

As tragic as it is, this one made me laugh.

20121030_HP_STORM-slide-8WJP-articleLarge.jpg

East 62nd Street.

20121030_HP_STORM-slide-M5SR-articleLarge.jpg

And the crane.

20121030_HP_STORM-slide-5GAD-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Also several people have been killed in the storm. One of which was a crew member of the Bounty who didn't survive the sinking the captain is still missing.

article-2224706-15C12055000005DC-75_634x571.jpg

Good News: I am still alive, and I did not lose power

Bad News: I did however lose my cable, internet, and phone, fortunately I found my mobile adapter and am using that. Trains are going to be out for a few days, which is bad because if I do have class tomorrow and Thursday I'm shit outta luck and it's Midterm week.

And I have no idea if the rest of my family are ok.

Earlier today on CBS 2, there was footage of a huge tree being uprooted and crashing from the hurricane. Resident from South Beach (a neighborhood in Staten Island) are being interviewed about the hurricane's aftermath.

Also, Atlantic City is a ghost town. The city evacuated. The boardwalk completely destroyed. There was also one photo of a popular roller coaster being completely dismantled by the gusts of Sandy.

Here's the photo of the roller coaster before.

8138462965_8805eb6086_c.jpg

Look at after.

imagefromurlhtm.jpg

Click here for the flooding of Battery Park from yesterday afternoon.

BTW, the Avenue U station being flooded was graphic enough. Here's a photo of the 86th Street (N) station in Brooklyn from last night. (NOT my photo!)

679676779.jpg

Take a look at the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel from last night.

brooklyn-battery-tunnel.jpg

EDIT: Saw this on CBS 2. Take a look at this footage of trees collapsing from Sandy!

And President Obama is talking about the hurricane.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad you guys are alright. News on TV said that 8 million people were without power, but I hope that number's dropping fast.

Hm, other than my cell reception being down (probably due to some downed or damaged cell tower(s)), I'm actually quite fine.

tumblr_mcpop27sKI1r06m1wo1_500.gif

Not even Hurricane Sandy is safe from Ganmgan Style.

Also, I feel sorry for some of the horror-story tellers in this thread. Hope you're all doing allright!

• Thumbs Up 8