Awoo.

Hurricane Sandy: Bounty Sunk, Floods in Cities, Trampoline! Keep Calm & Play Videogames.

Badnik Mechanic

Finally able to get back on (using my phone as a hotspot)

Anyway, my place has little to no power, large ass branches in the park and back yard, and as Blue Wisp said : "Your laptop is the chosen one", or in this case my room since it's one of the only places in my family's house getting power.

Yay?

Edited by Jetronic

OH GOD, SHE'S BACK. Suddenly, the heavens opened up, the winds howled, and lightning crashed. Sandy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

OH GOD, SHE'S BACK. Suddenly, the heavens opened up, the winds howled, and lightning crashed. Sandy isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

... Say what.

Also, Atlantic City is a ghost town. The city evacuated. The boardwalk completely destroyed. There was also one photo of a popular roller coaster being completely dismantled by the gusts of Sandy.

Here's the photo of the roller coaster before.

8138462965_8805eb6086_c.jpg

Look at after.

imagefromurlhtm.jpg

I used to go to there every year with my family, and it's hard to believe that it's been wiped out by Sandy even after looking at the picture. I know they'll rebuild and all, but it's just sad to see a part of my childhood destroyed.

That bitch Sandy had it out for NJ lol. South Jersey it seems.

hurricane-sandy-seaside-boardwalk.jpg

Would not want to be on that roller coaster right now. (sorry for the pic double post, whoops!)

Being situated in Hudson County, NJ, my area of town was lucky that the only effect of the storm was downed power lines because of trees. Power went out twice on Monday, once at about 5:30 p.m. then again at about 7 ish because the wind was just snapping transformers/lines left and right. I saw some idiot neighbors running about outside (tossing a football, no less!) like it was nothing right as this was happening to, and it's a wonder they're still alive. Especially as there were a few unfortunate souls who actually perished as they were inside their homes trying to wait out the storm while a tree or electrified water came into their homes.

Aside from the power, the only other thing that happened was that one of our living room windows got smashed in to the point that it could break at any moment. But other than that, unscathed. Some of the food will have to be disposed of from the fridge, but yeah. My family was very lucky, especially as trees and lines were everywhere the morning after. One such tree having uprooted itself just two houses down from us into the neighbor's yard.

That easily could have been us, as the size of the tree were just about the same as the ones we previously had in front of the house before the town cut them down when making new sidewalks for the block. They planted new ones, but those are way too small to do much damage.

We are also very lucky that we didn't flood like with Irene, because I can only imagine how charged that water might have been if we had ventured down to clear it out ourselves. *shivers* Well, I should say it was more of a miracle we didn't, as there were parts of my town where people had to be evacuated by boat because the water was rising.

That said, I hope everyone else who was in the path of this storm made it out okay with minimal damage, and have a safe, warm place to stay.

People are friggin' stupid if they think it's just a little wind. The biggest threat is the storm surges, and the surges from Sandy are massive.

Before the power went out on Monday, I was glued to the television to watch the local news' report on Hurricane Sandy. I was astounded that despite nearly all forms of mass transportation being closed, there were still people gallivanting around in Times Square like nothing was going to happen. Or jet skiing in the crazy tide that was coming in because of that little wind.

If any of those people perished acting as they did, I don't feel the least bit sorry for them since they didn't heed the warning. I do however feel sad for the folks who actually did heed the warnings/were trying to stay safe but ended up dead anyway as a result of this storm. People trying to get others to higher ground or just waiting out the storm when a tree branch came crashing through their window.

I also feel bad for any first responders/rescuers who had to go out saving the aforementioned idiots because the latter inadvertently endangered those lives as well for the hell of it.

Edited by KittyNakajima

Hi the power's out and everything's closed

And it isn't supposed to be back for 7-10 days

This is going to be a long week.

Hi the power's out and everything's closed

And it isn't supposed to be back for 7-10 days

This is going to be a long week.

Nov. 5th is the estimate/deadline that power companies like PSE&G have been giving so that all customers are fully restored. You may get it back sooner rather than later. I know I did after grumbling about it, as the power came back on here at about 5 a.m. this morning.

I also think they're trying to be really specific about that date as elections are the next day and they want to make sure they have electricity for the voting booths.

If you need power for your mobile device, try looking into an emergency shelter in your area if it's safe to venture out. My brother and I went to the nearest, the local library to charge our things, despite being worried they might turn us away. Our town was pretty lucky so that's where most people without power were hanging out, and not because they were water logged from their house.

Edited by KittyNakajima

They're not as striking a set of comparisons as those you had in the wake of the Boxing Day 2005 Tsunami or the Japanese Tsunami, but it's still interesting to see those shots.

Are they any comparison shots of New York before and after? They got, what, a 14ft storm surge? Crazy.

I saw videos of how hard Sandy hit New York, sheesh the water is so deep it looks like somebody could go scuba diving in those subways. Poor New York, first they always get picked for disaster and monster movies, then 9/11, and now this? They go through way to much crap.

I saw videos of how hard Sandy hit New York, sheesh the water is so deep it looks like somebody could go scuba diving in those subways. Poor New York, first they always get picked for disaster and monster movies, then 9/11, and now this? They go through way to much crap.

It's true that we dealt with plenty of disasters, but we'll definitely bounce back for sure. We New Yorkers are some of the toughest people and we're not going to let this tragedy bring us down. =) Edited by canderson

So pretty much been without power since my last post, Monday night. I stayed at my old apartment with my ex-girlfriend, we were cooking dinner and trying to beat Bioshock in a night when the power went out. We lost it late compared to other areas, it was like 11:30 PM so we managed the rest of the night with candles. Getting out of Jersey City was a little crazier, the traffic signals were down for like all of North Jersey the day after the storm. I heard they have no power until the water recedes from the stations, which was estimated about a week. I heard there's looting and car crashes going on. We were actually two stops away from that Hoboken NJ subway pic you guys keep posting to let you know. I'm living in a smaller town now, so it's less chaotic but the wreckage was crazy here too. Lot more trees to come down, I must've seen like 30 fallen trees in the past two days, bunch of downed power lines and cracked and leaning telephone poles. There was a fleet of electric company vehicles rolling around setting important areas of the town up. But driving around yesterday was nuts, every other street was a detour because of wreckage and almost no traffic lights functioning. There's actually a gasoline shortage that's hopefully coming to an end now. There were people waiting two or more hours in gas lines. The gas stations all have no power, and the ones that do sell out in short time. Lol, everyone in this area is looking for gas right now and no one has it. What makes me happy is that I've had a whole week off work now (not like I don't need the money), the Jersey City office will not answer the phone so I'm guessing no power there, and my actual workplace is in the Meadowlands which a damn swampland, so I expect they are either powerless or flooded out. I can't wait to see what it looks like down there. Buses are running but I'm thinking fuck work tomorrow, let's make it a week. By the way power came on one hour ago at 9:00 PM.

Edited by American Ristar

So pretty much been without power since my last post, Monday night. I stayed at my old apartment with my ex-girlfriend, we were cooking dinner and trying to beat Bioshock in a night when the power went out. We lost it late compared to other areas, it was like 11:30 PM so we managed the rest of the night with candles. Getting out of Jersey City was a little crazier, the traffic signals were down for like all of North Jersey the day after the storm. I heard they have no power until the water recedes from the stations, which was estimated about a week. I heard there's looting and car crashes going on. We were actually two stops away from that Hoboken NJ subway pic you guys keep posting to let you know. I'm living in a smaller town now, so it's less chaotic but the wreckage was crazy here too. Lot more trees to come down, I must've seen like 30 fallen trees in the past two days, bunch of downed power lines and cracked and leaning telephone poles. There was a fleet of electric company vehicles rolling around setting important areas of the town up. But driving around yesterday was nuts, every other street was a detour because of wreckage and almost no traffic lights functioning. There's actually a gasoline shortage that's hopefully coming to an end now. There were people waiting two or more hours in gas lines. The gas stations all have no power, and the ones that do sell out in short time. Lol, everyone in this area is looking for gas right now and no one has it. What makes me happy is that I've had a whole week off work now (not like I don't need the money), the Jersey City office will not answer the phone so I'm guessing no power there, and my actual workplace is in the Meadowlands which a damn swampland, so I expect they are either powerless or flooded out. I can't wait to see what it looks like down there. Buses are running but I'm thinking fuck work tomorrow, let's make it a week. By the way power came on one hour ago at 9:00 PM.

Jersey City, eh? Sheesh. Thanks for the heads up man. I live in Secaucus and haven't been able to get anywhere outside of town because of this. Checked NJ Transit and noticed that bus service was pretty disjointed to both Hoboken/Jersey City because of the flooding.

Not to mention, people have been telling me that you guys have a 5 p.m. curfew in effect. Police are sending people back and what not if they aren't supposed to be out. :c

Anyway, glad to hear that you're alright and that you're powered up and safe.

Edited by KittyNakajima