Awoo.

[DELETED]

LATER BUDDY

I think S3&K character selection would be the ideal here. Everything is primarily optional, while still being essential. Sonic is the main one to complete the primary story, but other characters still have their parts in the story without being required to play.

Of course, considering where the formula is, you need good level design and a decent alternate moveset for each character playable. It would be easier to implement characters like Shadow, Metal Sonic, and Blaze, but other characters would definitely need something to them. Tails and Knuckles have their flying and gliding abilities to keep in mind, and to do without those makes them not feel like how they would in the classics.

And so on and so forth, you get the idea...

• Thumbs Up 9

I like this because if every character needs seperate levels and storylines, it severely limits who can be playable in a game. If you just treat it as "_____ is going to fight Eggman" (like in Sonic Advance), but leave the main storyline revolving around Sonic, it gives lots of possibilities for playable characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think doing it like the later Mega Man X games would be ideal. You can progress through the game and unlock new characters as the story goes, with different abilities that can come in handy at earlier levels to unlock new paths. Whenever you start a level, you're given the choice of who to play as.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never been part of the whole "KILL ALL THE SHITTY FRIENDS" mess because I disagree with it so much. Sure, when I play a Sonic game do I want to run around in a clunky mech, toddle along slowly as a retarded marijuana plant or fish? Do I fuck! But I *do* enjoy playing as faster, simpler characters who fly or glide, and due to popular demand, they're gone too. Characters like Shadow and Blaze pretty much are Sonic but with different stats, Tails and Knuckles have their own unique abilities while still feeling Sonicy, and even Amy Rose who sacrifices speed for athleticism and combat skills. These characters *were* fun to play as, but since people think getting rid of them all is a better idea than just tweaking the bad bits to feel right, we're stuck with Sonic. And I don't want to get bored of him!

• Thumbs Up 7

Amy in the Advance games is imo one of the best ways to have an alternate character. She plays much differently to the others, but doesn't have a different mechanic, she plays in the same levels. Actually I think Amy is fine in SA1 as well, apart from the fact she could be a tad faster to increase the pace.

• Thumbs Up 4

For me, it should be a simple case of playable characters with their unique abilities, that does not dramatically change the gameplay, like in S3&K. If this could be transferred to a 3d Sonic game, then that would be ideal.

Okay, look Sonic should always be the fastest, but the others characters like Knuckles and Tails should be pretty close in speed, and their respective gliding/climbing and flying abilities should give them an advantage, allowing them to reach areas which Sonic cannot on his own, like in S3&K. That would make up for them being slower than Sonic. Separate treasure hunting stages are okayish, but really shouldn't be neccesary.

By all means use the other characters with their doppleganger abilities, like Rouge (for Knuckles), Shadow (for Sonic), and Charmee Bee a good fun flyable character to compliment Tails.

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I want Tails to be playable again. Basically, I want Tails to fly for 10-15 seconds, give him his SA1 tail attack, be able to carry Sonic like he usually does, Spin Dash or Boost (somehow,) and that's about it. No, I don't want to see those horrid Dummy Ring Bombs return! There were a major nuiscance and were not needed.

• Thumbs Up 4

I want to find a medium between fan and critic with other characters. Critics and fans adore the genesis a approach.pproach for others, so I'll use that style to pull off the others. As far as the cast, Tails, Knuckles, and Blaze. The critics like those ones.

• Thumbs Up 2

Critics and fans adore the genesis a approach for others, so I'll use that style to pull off the others.

As far as the cast, Tails, Knuckles, and Blaze.

Aren't you contradicting yourself with Blaze? Or did I just misunderstood what you said?

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

If I could have my way, I'd push much further for characters to be differentiated from one another. No more of this "Sonic with an extra ability tacked on" business, because the fact remains that Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and the others aren't Sonic with extra abilities tacked on. They're their own characters with their own abilities, personalities, goals, and subsequent way of handling things and moving about a place, and I feel this should be reflected in gameplay as well. This doesn't necessitate genre roulette so much as not sticking so closely and rigidly to the confines of Sonic's base gameplay by utilizing different movement styles, gimmicks, and level designs altogether that can be afforded by the franchise's style and physics systems. Furthermore, platformers in general are unique in that there can be a relative mishmash of activities to do in them beyond the straight generic gameplay of jumping from one thing to another; I mean, just look at the Galaxy games. You're always doing all kinds of shit in there. So why not give Shadow some vehicle sections here and there or allow his Chaos abilities more focus? Why not give Espio levels focused more on timing and avoidance and get some mileage out of that invisibility technique of his? Why not stick Eggman in a mech? If I want to play as Sonic only with some extra abilities tacked on, then I'll just boot up Colors. xP

• Thumbs Up 3

Amy in the Advance games is imo one of the best ways to have an alternate character. She plays much differently to the others, but doesn't have a different mechanic, she plays in the same levels. Actually I think Amy is fine in SA1 as well, apart from the fact she could be a tad faster to increase the pace.

Don't you just hate it when you are going to say the exact same thing, yet another person beats you to it. >.>

However, I would like to say for Amy's SA1, they shouldn't make all her levels running away from a certain robot.

As far as the cast, Tails, Knuckles, and Blaze. The critics like those ones.

Wrong. The critics don't like Blaze outside Sonic Rush. IMO, she has to stay in Sonic Rush and in Sonic Rush only.

The critics only liked Knuckles from the classic era. In the Adventure era, it was mixed. The only side character the critics like all around is Tails.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just kind of assumed that was a given. Much like with SA1 Tails and the racing thing.

Sadly, SA1 was the only time I'd say Tails played particularly well in 3D. But considering it often involved skipping large chunks of levels, the flight can be pretty gamebreaking if not monitored properly, even moreso than something like the boost. 06 just nerfed him to high hell and made him tire out far too quickly.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whatever other characters are playable, they should play like Sonic. Not identically, but they should share the same basic abilities and objectives. No treasure hunting, no mechs, no werehog. I'm not interested in buying some 5-in-1 Super Gaming Fun Pak, so stick with the Sonic gameplay and variations of it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I liked the way Shadow the Hedgehog handled other characters. On the one hand, you had the main character, Shadow, but you also had secoundary characters who the second player could play as. There were a lot of them, but they alternated between levels. I think the whole co-op thing was a great idea, it's just a shame '06 never used it and the game itself lead to the whole gameplay being rebooted (into a type that's incompatable for 2P).

I miss 2 Player drop-in in the sonic series.

Edited by Paradox
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still don't think co-op is very viable in this series. Even in the Genesis games it just ended up with player 2 being left in the dust all the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only side character the critics like all around is Tails.

A lot don't even like him any more.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I just have the characters play identical to Sonic, and all have them have the same objective(i.e. Get from point A to point B?) I mean I know the characters AREN'T Sonic, but I'm pretty sure they need to share he basic game mechanics such as jumping, and a spin jump.

You seem to be implying that new abilities and differentiation in basic parameters like jump height or running speed that serve to better warrant a character's existence means a completely different set of game mechanics altogether when this doesn't have to be the case at all. I mean, we see this kind of differentiation in good fighters all the time, and ironically tend to decry the basic Wolf and Falco recolors who don't do much to separate themselves from the real deal. CSS has also made a wonderful rant on this nuance by using League of Legends as an example.

I don't want the characters to be Sonic retreads or in completely different genres. There's a middle ground on that scale that's far more appealing to me.

CSS has also made a wonderful rant on this nuance by using League of Legends as an example.

Got a link for that? I'd like to read it myself.

I don't want everyone to play like sonic.... if that's the case then just make it sonic only. I always hated that ideal that EVERYONE NEEDS to play like sonic in order to be good. Fuck that shit, Knuckles isn't fast, so WHY DOES HE NEED TO BOOST? Amy isn't fast, SO WHY DOES SHE NEED TO BOOST? Silver seriously isn't fast, * insert my mini rant of why here * My point is we DON'T need fucking sonic clones to make gameplay fucking GOOD. We need GOOD fucking gameplay.. that's fucking it. Just some fucking GOOD gameplay, If what Knuckles was doing in SA1 and 2 wasn't good, either fix it or do something else? Hell Knuckles would do WELL with the Werehog's battle system. Want Silver to be different but good, refine his powers and make levels based off what you want him to do. Amy, same thing.

People we don't need sonic clones, we need people at the team to give a fuck about these things so we can have different characters in this series playable AND they be GOOD play styles. If all you want is for everyone to play like sonic then the fuck's the point in playing as anyone else BUT sonic? Yeah yeah yeah bah " But asshole, it worked in the 90's 8D " Yeah, so? It was also on limited hardware. Right now Sega has proved that these characters have VERY different moves, so to take all that away just so we can BOOST with fucking amy is stupid imho.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't want everyone to play like sonic.... if that's the case then just make it sonic only. I always hated that ideal that EVERYONE NEEDS to play like sonic in order to be good. Fuck that shit, Knuckles isn't fast, so WHY DOES HE NEED TO BOOST? Amy isn't fast, SO WHY DOES SHE NEED TO BOOST? Silver seriously isn't fast, * insert my mini rant of why here * My point is we DON'T need fucking sonic clones to make gameplay fucking GOOD. We need GOOD fucking gameplay.. that's fucking it. Just some fucking GOOD gameplay, If what Knuckles was doing in SA1 and 2 wasn't good, either fix it or do something else? Hell Knuckles would do WELL with the Werehog's battle system. Want Silver to be different but good, refine his powers and make levels based off what you want him to do. Amy, same thing.

People we don't need sonic clones, we need people at the team to give a fuck about these things so we can have different characters in this series playable AND they be GOOD play styles. If all you want is for everyone to play like sonic then the fuck's the point in playing as anyone else BUT sonic? Yeah yeah yeah bah " But asshole, it worked in the 90's 8D " Yeah, so? It was also on limited hardware. Right now Sega has proved that these characters have VERY different moves, so to take all that away just so we can BOOST with fucking amy is stupid imho.

Or we could just remove boosting.

• Thumbs Up 2