Awoo.

The topic of severely over-thinking things that don't really need to be overthought about...

SenEDDtor Missile

Through lots of over thinking about Tails ...

... the plane being called the Tornado

The original Tornado was Sonic's plane.

The original Tornado was Sonic's plane.

I am very aware of that. But even though the original Tornado is Sonic's plane, it's still commonly shown to be flown by Tails and being in his possession most of the time.

So your goal is to gather all of the most tenuous connections between the characters and their assigned elements?

So your goal is to gather all of the most tenuous connections between the characters and their assigned elements?

It's not my goal, I'd do that any way. Besides Team Sonic, all I've currently got for the other characters that I know makes perfect sense is Blaze and Marine being the sun and the sea(/or possibly any body of water on the planet), of course this was probably obvious from the beginning but... 

That was all very interesting to see your view on all of it :)

I think Most of tails moves simply arise as he is a mechanic/inventor, The arm cannon, he invented it (and needed an air and ground shot attack). The dummy rings, again he invented, dunno why he chose rings but the idea behind them is clever, it's basically an EMP, and since he is fighting robots that's probably the best weapon to have. The plug in riders is to show his inventive prowess I think, as opposed to Wave who is just a mechanic. I can't explain the thunder shoot (maybe tails absorbed some electricity from " all those Eggman robots". ;)) but I'm going to put that down as gameplay.

Knuckles, I don't think is more of an earth elemental ( again Battle needed an air shot move) but is more of a natural guy (using whatever he can find, in this case fighting with boulders ect. and is of course, really strong. The fire thing I think is just An aesthetic thing, like the coloured aura everyone seems to have, to show how powerful they are ( fire is destructive, powerful and at times, uncontrollable). This is true for all power characters except maybe Omega. (He has a flamethrower). Interesting take on the characters though :)

Hmm, that's a very interesting analysis. What do you consider Sonic then? Wind?

And with Sonic=the wind, he's the element that brings them together, while also being closer to the Sky (Tails) and conflicting with the Earth (Knuckles).

Already mentioned that.

Interestingly though, Sonic is compared to the wind and has windy abilities.

- In SONIC '06, his epithet is "Blue Wind", some people of Soleanna talk amongst themselves that the "Blue Wind" appeared on the night that their princess was kidnapped and Sonic's soul when it's outside of it's body takes on the form of, yes, blue wind.

- Quite a few of his moves are made of wind; Blue Tornado, Sonic Wind, Crest of Wind, The twisters he creates in the boss battle against him in Sonic Rush, the Tornado he creates merely by breakdancing when he has the green gem equipped and the huge twister he makes when he first appears to Elise, Eggman and her guards.

- His epithet as a Knight is the "Knight of the Wind" like Lancelot is the "Knight of Chaos", Percival is the "Knight of the Grail"/"Knight of Heart" and Gawain is the "Knight of the Sun"

So yeah, it's pretty clear that Sonic's associated element is wind.

• 3 months later...

So my friend showed me this video. Basically it uses Sonic's height and some other factors to determine how fast Sonic runs through levels. It concludes that Sonic does not run anywhere close to the speed of sound, and Mario is actually twice as fast as Sonic. I looked at it and thought it would fit perfectly with this topic's theme of overanalyzing things. I don't know what you guys think of this though tongue.png

MatPat isn't always 100% correct. Considering Classic is smaller than modern, he was going by 06's Sonic Height. And I know this video wasn't around when this was posted, but didn't matpat (based on mario's height) say Wario was ten feet tall in his video about him, meaning that he can make major mistakes?

Edited by MatthewMotoBug