Awoo.

What are your favourite official Sonic images.

Bright Eyes

I don't really like much of the Adventure-Adventure 2 artwork, since it makes everyone look like spaghetti. The Classic artwork, Non-Spaghetti 2D artwork, and Unleashed-onwards artwork are the styles for me.

I admit to liking the images you found in Gems Collection (and elsewhere), especially this one:

SSS_SONIC65.png

Slenderman-faced humans aside, this image basically sums up the unique and unashamed wonder of Sonic's world. A universe so colourful and dazzling that even something as simple as a mall can look like paradise.

Ec_hall.png

This artwork makes the actual game feel underwhelming. Nothing against the Egg Carrier, but that artwork and it's purple colours look a lot cooler to me.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 9

SSS_SONIC65.png

Slenderman-faced humans aside, this image basically sums up the unique and unashamed wonder of Sonic's world.

Isn't this image supposed to be based off of a Joypolis amusement center in Japan? You know, those awesome places that SEGA run?

I believe so. Either way, it's strictly Sonic and like no other, and that's good enough for me.

cbbc-sonic-generations-artwork1.jpeg

I might have OD'd on Nostalia after witnessing this one for the first time. Nevermind the utterly fantastic character models sported by four characters, but what it represnted was just so... perfect.

I could screensaver this from now into eternity and die a happy man.

sonic-rivals-2-psp.jpg

Most of these character arts for Rivals 2 manage to rock my socks clean off my feet.

Most of you are doing alright, but for those just doing hardly any effort on your explanations behind why you like a picture, could you put more effort into it? There's even like one that doesn't have any text behind it whatsoever. I'd hate to lock this topic honestly, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, very well then. I like the Unleashed/SatSR-onwards art style since Sonic (and most of the cast now that I think about it) is a little more chubbier - like a perfect fusion between Modern and Classic - and isn't dangerously lanky. Likewise, I like the Classic artwork and the worlds featured within because - posterboy and probable codifier for radical to the max mascots aside - there's some sort of innocence in them that I always have a soft spot for.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Since the majority of the images I adore have already been posted, I'll ust bring this up:

Avcc.jpg

After titles like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and (to an extent) Sonic Unleashed, this image pretty much sets the tone for how different (and lighter) Sonic Colors, a most cherished game of mine, would be. I absolutely love how... authentic it looks. Like, if such a theme park were to open in my area and this poster was used to advertise it, I would head there in a heartbeat. I also like it actually fits the plot of the game, too!

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh yeah, of course. That one. You know I got a nosebleed when I saw that one.

It doubles for me because, Unleashed aside, this image was the one I identify with what I affectionately call "the change". Of course, the best bit is that this image perfectly conceals the possibility of potential alien genocide.

Oh, that reminds me, I also like this artwork:

sonic-the-hedgehog-1991.png

As well as the one in my avatar.

Both of them are just a very simplistic image of a fat man with a moustache. He looks completely bizarre and unintimidating. And yet the idea of something as streamlined as this being essentially the animal boogeyman... it gets me. I really like that.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hmm

The one in my signature and Ill tell you the rest after I find the images.

Edited by Mr.Snarf
  • Thumbs Up 2

It just combines so many things I enjoy: Music, Christmas, SEGA, not to mention Eggman. The only thing this image needs is Sonic holding a Hofner Bass. Also, I don't quite get it, this would have been drawn when I was like 3-4 years old, and the first time I EVER saw this was in 2005, yet I feel massive nostalgia for this (as well as the other Sonic the Screensaver images). The ONLY part of the 1990's I'd have clear memories from would be the late nineties, yet I LOVE the way the early nineties images look.

Don't worry, that happens all the time. I didn't get the chance to actually play N64 games until I got Project 64 about two years ago, yet it feels like they've always been there.

my entire art post extravaganza

To elaborate on what I was saying earlier, I just love the art that came from Sonic CD and the Saturn era, and how it transitioned into the Dreamcast times. I grew up in that transition; having played Sonic 1 & 2 pretty late on the Genesis, and playing Sonic & Knuckles Collection, Sonic CD, 3D Blast, and Sonic R all on the PC so long ago.. with finally playing Sonic Adventure on a Dreamcast at a friend's house. This general quirky, flexible style felt like there was genuine love poured into all of this and it defined what the series is for me and I grew up on that, with compilations such as Mega Collection and Gems Collection maintaining that "Sonic feel" for newer generations.

And I love Unleashed because it felt like it reinforced that, like it brought it back and worked upon what made all of that work; while it didn't have exactly the 90s space-age feel some of it had, it kept a hold of the essence that made Sonic what he is to me. There's just something about it I cannot pinpoint properly without gushing over how everything is perfect.

Actually, since I feel the need to as well, let me share a couple more pictures from Colors, since it nailed it in places too!

800px-InteriorArt_TropicalResort02.jpg

800px-InteriorArt_SweetMountain02.jpg

496px-Colorspromo.png

I guess its just that blend of Japanesey colorful quirkiness, the edginess and exaggerated in-your-face-ness of more western influences, and the universally well-themed, well-cultured and charmingly designed feel similar to that of Pixar works. All that blends together and makes the style that I define as "Sonic". You feelin' me?

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 7

I had a postcard that came free with STC which featured this image.....

sa-tails-04.jpg

....Tails what happened to your toes?

I had a postcard that came free with STC which featured this image.....

sa-tails-04.jpg

....Tails what happened to your toes?

Though the pic doesn't show up for me, it should be noted that Sonic and Amy have been shown to not have toes either.

EDIT: Along with Big and Tikal as well.

Edited by DarkLightDragon

Maybe this freaky version of Dr. Eggman?

Eggman_3DFlickies.jpg

Yeah, not really.

I think my favorite image would be this one from Riders. Pilot outfit, complete with jacket, and a nice helmet.

Sonic-Free-Riders-Eggman-artwork.png

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive old threads, but I thought of this image and decided this thread would be the best place to post it. I really like this image of Modern Sonic:

vi7c8.png

He looks really happy with that smile, and I like the pose for some reason. I'm not sure where it's from, but I like it.

Sorry to revive old threads, but I thought of this image and decided this thread would be the best place to post it. I really like this image of Modern Sonic:

vi7c8.png

He looks really happy with that smile, and I like the pose for some reason. I'm not sure where it's from, but I like it.

THIS. IS. SOOOOONIC!!!!!!

Reminds me of Sparta

Edited by Mr.Snarf

tumblr_mc6pf9kFkQ1rnhd2uo1_500.jpg

From Sonic Jump, but look at that second panel of Eggman. JUST LOOK AT IT. That's some awesome posing you've got there, Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

[animepaper.net]picture-standard-anime-sonic-the-hedgehog-sonic-olympic-winter-games-154790-rynoa-preview-24f008cd.jpg

Something about this one just oozes "cool" to me. It's like Sonic knows full well he's hot shit and is having a blast showing it off. Custom snowboard with his face on it, really stylish pose, and that trademark cocky smile - this is definitely the hero I idolized as the embodiment of "cool" as a kid.

• Thumbs Up 3

Meh, got none of Sonic himself so he can shove it for this one post.

But that's not to say I don't have a fave image otherwise...

Tails_2.png

This adorable pic of Tails from his debut is, to me, one of the most iconic images of the franchise outside of any Sonic ones. It sort of encapsulates the whole gist of Sonic 2 itself; yes, you've got this new character who adds a new aesthetic to the sequel. But he's not just there to look cute and new, his pose is all geared up for action, representing the fact that not only is he playable, but the entirety of Sonic 2 isn't just Sonic 1 with a new lick of paint, it's a whole different and exhilarating experience. You'll feel filled with adrenaline afterwards too!

So there.

• Thumbs Up 4

sonicmazuri.jpg

Original here

This one is awesome very big, very high quality, great pose on Sonic, totally gives the sense of movement and speed, nice detail on his eyes, it's a bit hard to tell whether irises and pupils are on the model or not, but if they're only textures, they're dang good ones.

The one thing that bothers me is the grass

EDIT: This is also what you get when the 'nike-swoosh smile' is done right.

don't kill me.

sonic_riders_art.jpg

I loved these 2D Sonic Riders arts, imagine if they did all the cutscenes like that? Now that would have been something.

Edited by Mysterics

sonicloveschampagne.jpg

"Let me in! I'm freezing my tails off and I want some booze!"

"... Go away....creepy gawker"

You could interpret it as Sonic not being aware of Tails' presence, being too engrossed in his book or hammered but I like to think he's trying to pretend that he doesn't know he's there for lolz XD

This image always struck me as funny in an odd way and vaguely cruel. Sonic sipping champagne and reading a book? How do you say cultured badass?

• Thumbs Up 4

Naw man, Tails is just happy to have seen a shooting Shadow fall from the sky, and he's trying to tell Sonic about it, but that ignorant fuck is too busy being enraptured by some Victor Hugo.