Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

I mean... Seeing this thread was really depressing for me. It's like there's something invisible that's been going around stabbing people and I'm the only one who can't see it and isn't being stabbed by it. I've heard this and that about how people here are cynical and how there's animosity in the community. I've heard it's caused by the news drought recently.

But even after everything I've heard, I still don't see the animosity. I don't see the cynicism. At least not in unusual amounts as community interactions go. It makes me feel depressed because I hate seeing you guys upset over something. And I haven't even been aware of it this whole time. It makes me feel guilty for being blind. And the worst part is I'm still blind to it. And I don't know the cause of this "blindness" to the issue. Maybe it's my AS, maybe it's because I'm new, maybe it's because I'm insensitive; it could be any of these things or something entirely different.

The only times I've ever been affected by this issue is when other people mention it; then I become sad, because I don't like seeing you guys sad. That's not to say I'm blaming you for discussing this; absolutely not. I think the best thing we can do is be open about it. Openness relieves tension that would otherwise build into exchanges of negative emotions.

A few weeks ago Wolfy made a status update where he was sad because it seemed like everyone on the forum hated him. Then I decided to send him and the other mods a PM telling them how much I personally appreciate them. But I'm still mad at myself for not being aware of any of this. And I'd really like to know why I'm the only one who doesn't see it (not that I expect anyone else to know; I'm just rambling).

For what it's worth, I don't notice it much either, at least not on the same scale as some people seem to see it. I don't know if the fact that I haven't been a member that long and have no sense of nostalgia about how this place used to be plays a role in that or not, but to expound upon what I said earlier in this thread, what I see here really isn't out-of-the-ordinary in terms of snark, cynicism, or any other bad vibes as far as internet forums go.

I dunno, maybe I'm one of the members that Alexander, et al. were talking about. I don't think I'm enough of a regular that most people here are familiar with me, but if there is any familiarity, I don't know how I'm perceived overall. If at any point I have indeed come across as being an asshole, chances are I wasn't being serious. I come here to kill time and, more importantly, have fun. I definitely don't mean for that fun to be had at anybody else's expense.

Well thank you Diz, that was a great post. I particularly liked the part about not posting unless you are going to contribute to the topic. I think the problem arises when people contribute, but they do so in a condescending or dickish way. For example, responding with good arguments, but arguments which are laced with hostility, condescension and general "You are wrong and this is why. You should feel bad for being so wrong. Your opinion fucking sucks because this" type of things.

For what it's worth, I don't notice it much either, at least not on the same scale as some people seem to see it. I don't know if the fact that I haven't been a member that long and have no sense of nostalgia about how this place used to be plays a role in that or not, but to expound upon what I said earlier in this thread, what I see here really isn't out-of-the-ordinary in terms of snark, cynicism, or any other bad vibes as far as internet forums go.

I dunno, maybe I'm one of the members that Alexander, et al. were talking about. I don't think I'm enough of a regular that most people here are familiar with me, but if there is any familiarity, I don't know how I'm perceived overall. If at any point I have indeed come across as being an asshole, chances are I wasn't being serious. I come here to kill time and, more importantly, have fun. I definitely don't mean for that fun to be had at anybody else's expense.

I think it depends on how you work as a person. I've only been here for two years yet it affects me way too easily, putting on my best overly-exaggerated grim face and everything.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

But anyways, yes. Obviously nothing's perfect, but it would be nice if people could come here without already being cautious 24/7.

Well it's not easy when you feel someone has a bit of a "hidden agenda" when it comes to the things you like, so to speak.

Classic example would be Shadow and how he turned out to survive after SA2. Now most of the vocal Shadow fans here (and mainly here) are content to concede that the way they brought Shadow back was utter shit, and that they could have held off his survival a lot longer or they could have done a better job without screwing things up around the time his own game came around. But these people are rather happy that their favorite character is back, and don't take too kindly to those who want to take him away whenever they hear "Shadow should've stayed dead".

And then there's the whole Classic vs. Modern debacle. I'm sure I don't need to discuss THAT topic regarding the wounds people inflict there.

That's why I always come straight out of the open with my issues, but I'm more than willing to go with alternatives first before I decide "we should get rid of it". The way I see it, as flawed as something may be if you can still fix it and apply it to something (or if someone else can fix and apply it), and do so rather competently, I don't see much reason to do away with something. You have to prove it is flat out worthless to me before I decide to throw it away.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Nobody's mentioned it for a couple pages, but I really want to say that "there's no news on future Sonic games" is a really poor excuse for people getting cranky. If someone is really to the point where that is their reason, I think they need to take some time off from Sonic/SSMB/the internet. As Sonic fans we get a lot of games compared to some fanbases, and I find it really hard to believe that lack of news is an actual reason for people getting upset. Tensions flare, people have bad days, I can understand all that. But I see the No News thing come up every now and then and it always irks me.

Edited by Mykonos
  • Thumbs Up 8

Nobody's mentioned it for a couple pages, but I really want to say that "there's no news on future Sonic games" is a really poor excuse for people getting cranky. If someone is really to the point where that is their reason, I think they need to take some time off from Sonic/SSMB/the internet. As Sonic fans we get a lot of games compared to some fanbases, and I find it really hard to believe that lack of news is an actual reason for people getting upset. Tensions flare, people have bad days, I can understand all that. But I see the No News thing come up every now and then and it always irks me.

That's a good point.

Does it lead to boredom? Sure. Boredom shouldn't flare tempers though. If nothing else, there's always plenty to talk about in the Chit-Chat section. Maybe having more topics there would lead to people getting to know each other a little better, who knows?

It has gotten a bit more hostile in these parts lately and its why I kind of ran away for a while before I was suddenly overcome with the need to talk about Sonic again. Still, people generally behave the same as several years ago, but things have definitely got much rowdier and crazy as of late and it's been a bit disheartening for when I want to jump into conversation. All you guys are fairly cool though (some need to do some growing up, no pointing fingers of course because I mean no ill will), but either way we should all just take a breather, and do this whole hippie rally thing together or whatnot while waiting for the day to strike our foes amongst the day of new Sonic game announcements HUZZAH!

Oh, and while I'm at it.. (related to Skype SSMB chatrooms, so going in spoiler tags since its not completely related):

I also just wanted to slide on in and apologize for any actions I may have seemed a bit jerky on. Not exactly on here to say, but in the SSMB Skype chatrooms and whatnot (months and months ago). I let stupid jokes go a bit too far and seemed to have venom and irritance in my words but I was only meaning in good fun and whatnot. I hope some guys won't hold a grudge nor use those actions to judge me from now on but hey, I guess I asked for it in that case. Either way, that's all I had to say.

Edited by Azukara

On the topic of "hostility against moderators and topic posters", I've just addressed who I had to address in particular so that we don't have to follow this route here. Let me just say, though, that "it's part of the job" is a joke of a letout card. I might as well say "picking up fights is part of the price of having strong, provocating opinions" when that's far beside the point.

There are moderators I'm perfectly fine with here and moderators I didn't even know were actually moderators before I saw them post here with special regards on this matter. If one is attracting my hostility, I think it's a personal problem and not "part of the job".

I love how this turned into group therapy like halfway in. :D

Jesus christ this has been brought up 5 times already. What the hell did you guys do to eachother on Skype?!

I must admit, I'm kind of curious as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I admit I'm completely in the dark about all things SSMB-Skype. Which is probably for the better, best to keep privacy and all. (That and my reluctance in full swing yet again. Bah.)

Well it's not easy when you feel someone has a bit of a "hidden agenda" when it comes to the things you like, so to speak.

Classic example would be Shadow and how he turned out to survive after SA2. Now most of the vocal Shadow fans here (and mainly here) are content to concede that the way they brought Shadow back was utter shit, and that they could have held off his survival a lot longer or they could have done a better job without screwing things up around the time his own game came around. But these people are rather happy that their favorite character is back, and don't take too kindly to those who want to take him away whenever they hear "Shadow should've stayed dead".

And then there's the whole Classic vs. Modern debacle. I'm sure I don't need to discuss THAT topic regarding the wounds people inflict there.

That's why I always come straight out of the open with my issues, but I'm more than willing to go with alternatives first before I decide "we should get rid of it". The way I see it, as flawed as something may be if you can still fix it and apply it to something (or if someone else can fix and apply it), and do so rather competently, I don't see much reason to do away with something. You have to prove it is flat out worthless to me before I decide to throw it away.

I know that. I was merely saying that it can be upsetting when everyone's entered a thread with their trigger buttons ready on standby.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Jesus christ this has been brought up 5 times already. What the hell did you guys do to eachother on Skype?!

I think it's best to let the past be the past and never be brought up again. Whoever's done any wrong has probably learnt after looking at any topic. It's best to just learn and all of us try our best to make the future better. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I had a gut feeling towards is that just like my job, for some reason, people tend to place their "superiors" on a separate team of their own. Diz saying moderators get heat (and that it's normal) is disheartening to me, because I understand their responsibilities but, no offense, I don't place any of them on a pedestal. And I am the same way in every aspect of my life.

For example: most people when driving, when they see a cop, they tend to do two things: naturally slow down, and think to themselves, "dirty cops," or something along that line of thinking. Not me. If the limit is 40, and I am doing 40, I am not going to go to 35 because I see a cop behind me; by the same token, I know that cops, if they ever pull me over, unless they are corrupt, are just doing their job.

I have yet to receive a ticket, and I was pulled over twice, and both reasons were reasonable to me.

Edited by tenchibr

I think it's best to let the past be the past and never be brought up again. Whoever's done any wrong has probably learnt after looking at any topic. It's best to just learn and all of us try our best to make the future better. biggrin.png

What dis guy said. I just wanted to say it and get it out of the way to the people who knew what's up. Either way, yeah, lets put this aside and get a-movin on up.

MOVIN' ON UP!

I frequent Skype and id like to know that as well :s

Under the bridge so never mind.

Edited by Soniman

I think it's best to let the past be the past and never be brought up again. Whoever's done any wrong has probably learnt after looking at any topic. It's best to just learn and all of us try our best to make the future better. biggrin.png

Well fine if you guys don't want to bring it up here then PM me & Soma & whoever esle is curious, but this is gonna bother me until I get an answer.

I've gotta say that lately it seems like there's a lot of people attacking others for their opinions. Especially in the statuses. I'm not gonna name names but someone was so bold to say "but those who disagree are idiots". What kind of snot is that? I always feel like I have to harshly defend myself over nothing.

It's nice that everyone is standing together on this.

Really steve your taking anything on the statuses seriously?! I go there to be loose and joke around I'm rarely serious.

Edited by goku262002

I'm hearing about how our mods are getting a lot of heat. Now quite frankly, I could understand why Sean tends to get a lot of heat from members (nothing but love here man), as he comes off as very harsh. Still the guy's doing his job.

Now others like Diz and Wolfy? That's a bit of a surprise, because they're among the more easy going mods, right below Flyboy Fox (and she's been off the radar for a while). It's a bit of a shock really.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've gotta say that lately it seems like there's a lot of people attacking others for their opinions. Especially in the statuses. I'm not gonna name names but someone was so bold to say "but those who disagree are idiots". What kind of snot is that? I always feel like I have to harshly defend myself over nothing.

It's nice that everyone is standing together on this.

Yeah, that was probably a joke. Not a very good example there.

I am shocked at the amount of views and replies this topic has obtained in such a short period of time...

But half the replies are mine, which is true, because I like to talk a lot.

Thank you everyone; I feel like I got more than what I expected, but it's never enough. Keep it up.

But you younger members have got to understand what we older members learned along time ago, Message. boards. don't. change! it doesn't matter where you go your going to find almost the same amount of snark and conflict between members of any fanbase of anything! I've been doing this crap for 10 years now!! all this? just same shit on a different board.

We humans almost live to cause conflict with eachother. We should try to avoid any and all conflict as possible if its not needed but its just bound nay destined to happen and we can't fake ourselves being nice to eachother because thats what it will all be...fake! I'd rather be real and conflict with eachother sometimes then be fake to everyone and not be my true self.

Now others like Diz and Wolfy? That's a bit of a surprise, because they're among the more easy going mods, right below Flyboy Fox (and she's been off the radar for a while). It's a bit of a shock really.

Well thats a first. DiZ and Wolfy are the mellow mods don't see why anyone would have conflict with them.