Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

...But you didn't do it. You referred more to a situation than anything. I mean, maybe it's just me, but it makes me sort of anxious when I see things like this:

(quotes about uneasy feelings)

And I only felt personally hinted at in the second one. But all of them gave off this "accusing, but not quite" vibe.

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, I can not say anything about those people just because they have been living differently than other people. Simply, If you were raised in the United States, you can pretty much tell what area of the country you were raised in by just your attitude.

Edited by novelty

"Indireta" and "jogar o verde" - You could just call it an "insinuation," an indirect comment, or the American version, "to beat around the bush." Basically trying to say something without being too specific.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like if I said, "you know what I can't stand? Palas' avatar. I like Kermit the Frog, but he makes him look bad" instead of "there's someone here who uses an avatar of a character that I like but makes him/her look bad".

Well, I think in public, names should be avoided at all costs, unless the argument (and I say "argument" in a very light manner) between two people is already made public. If the issue is more personal, it makes more sense to PM that person directly, and if you feel you need to mention that issue publicly, you can do so by saying, "There's this person that did this and I didn't like; I already PM'd that person and solved it with him/her but I hope none of you guys do the same thing s/he did."

Edited by tenchibr

"Indireta" and "jogar o verde" - You could just call it an "insinuation," an indirect comment, or the American version, "to beat around the bush." Basically trying to say something without being too specific.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like if I said, "you know what I can't stand? Palas' avatar. I like Kermit the Frog, but he makes him look bad" instead of "there's someone here who uses an avatar of a character that I like but makes him/her look bad".

Well, I think in public, names should be avoided at all costs, unless the argument (and I say "argument" in a very light manner) between two people is already made public. If the issue is more personal, it makes more sense to PM that person directly, and if you feel you need to mention that issue publicly, you can do so by saying, "There's this person that did this and I didn't like; I already PM'd that person and solved it with him/her but I hope none of you guys do the same thing s/he did."

Thanks for the tips~! Well, yes, to say something without saying. And I do like your approach. To be specific, but without exposing.

I think that member association thread should dispell some animosity, at least.

Why no one told me about this other thread I have no idea. I had to look for it myself, and boy, it's not featured anywhere; had to do some digging, but I gotta tell you, it is worth it!

I have to link this thread and recommend to EVERYONE to go there. Please, even if you won't post in it, it is a GREAT way to learn about other members. GO. NOW.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 3

We had an old one a while back. But because there weren't a lot of members posting in it but the veterans it got locked (among other reasons).

We've had quite a flux of newcomers here, so that should definitely be a good way to bridge the gap between the old guard and the newbies who want to get to know each other better from the mouths of other members.

• Thumbs Up 2

We've had quite a flux of newcomers here, so that should definitely be a good way to bridge the gap between the old guard and the newbies who want to get to know each other better from the mouths of other members.

Yep, it's working already.

My thread is the diagnosis, and the other is the prescription (which EVERYONE should take at least one dose of).

So you think there is less animosity now that this topic and the other are up?

That's what I was hoping for, but I wasn't really sure if it would work.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you think there is less animosity now that this topic and the other are up?

That's what I was hoping for, but I wasn't really sure if it would work.

hell_yeah_logo-600x450.jpg

So to catch up here:

You know what I did? For the past couple years I don't go in Sonic Discussion anymore unless something really awesome pops up that grabs my attention or if someone says something that I absolutely have to comment on. That's why probably 75% or my posts are in Chit Chat and the Video Games forums. And I know that there is a problem with letting a new member spread around a false notion because all of the older members don't want to deal with it again. A crawling feeling at the back of your head that you just can't scratch knowing that something like that is happening. I know. But it isn't their fault that you've been around for years and they haven't; and if it starts to come up that you feel obligated to "correct" new members on something they're saying rather than actually discussing things with them, is it really worth posting in the first place?

This is all I stick to here Tornado (spoilered for size):

threadcontent8421.jpg

Except for 1 topic, all these topics you see are generally what I'm hanging around at. I'm rarely crawling out of my hole, so to speak, to check out other threads especially opinion ones that I've exausted over and over. these topics don't aggerverate me as much as a opinion topic would because instead of spreading the same thing I've said theres constantly a stream of new information coming about to keep the topics fresh and something new to talk about.

So yes I'am doing the right thing as a veteran member and staying away from topics that I've exausted myself in.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Just my two cents to bring back this thread - I noticed a ton of flaming/mocking in the status updates toward a new user. That new user made a status asking why his thread was locked and most of you guys just jumped at him. He is brand new and had no idea. Come on guys.

Also - the tons of statuses right after that mocking him on the front page of SSMB wasn't really cool. Here is a quote from Verte which I thought beautifully demonstrated on why this is sad.

Whilst his topics aren't good and one opening post was in bad taste, so is mocking to such a degree in bad taste.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Just my two cents to bring back this thread - I noticed a ton of flaming/mocking in the status updates toward a new user. That new user made a status asking why his thread was locked and most of you guys just jumped at him. He is brand new and had no idea. Come on guys.

Also - the tons of statuses right after that mocking him on the front page of SSMB wasn't really cool. Here is a quote from Verte which I thought beautifully demonstrated on why this is sad.

I don't know what others think but I found the "mocking/flaming" to be pretty mild (I mean, nobody was making statuses saying "Hey guise, that new guy's totally an idiot, amirite?"). The two threads that he made obviously indicated that he didn't read the rules, which are there to help people that are new understand what does and does not fly around here. It would obviously be better if people didn't mock or make sarcastic comments but personally, I didn't look at the status updates and think that there was excessive rudeness, hostility or disrespect.

Edited by Frogging101

Why are we even labeling being outright rude into different levels?

And take the eyes of the actual user - if I posted on the forum and forum members asked if I was 8 years old, and then mocked on the front page, I probably wouldn't feel belonged.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 3

(I mean, nobody was making statuses saying "Hey guise, that new guy's totally an idiot, amirite?").

While they didn't outright state it, they basically were saying it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I  didn't do anything to the guy. I just answered his question...

Oh, for fuck sake!

What is wrong with some people??

What happened to the friendly and welcoming place I once knew? Did I dream that??

I just recently learned I had to boycott two things because of being full of mean and disrespectful people. Am I gonna have to boycott another?

Oh, for fuck sake!

What is wrong with some people??

What happened to the friendly and welcoming place I once knew? Did I dream that??

I just recently learned I had to boycott two things because of being full of mean and disrespectful people. Am I gonna have to boycott another?

Calm down and stop being dramatic, Yes it's bad and pretty poor on our part, but we'll always get this, because the one's who do it are looking for attention to look cool, and because they're senior here, they think they can get away with it because of their stance in the community.

Don't they know the Mods watch everything? Especially the status feed, it may not feel like nothing is happening, but they're probably recording everything that each member involved did, which will build up a case of evidence for when they do step out of line.

And not to be a total downer but this always happens on SSMB when newbies start off rocky, as a community we're pretty unforgiving and I feel we set our standards too high for people who want to join the board.

It's one thing to have high standards. If nothing else, it's the high standards that have given us some of our most awesome newbies as well as allowed some others to integrate into the community much better. High standards are a good thing, even if they can be intimidating; that's what a helping hand and staff are for. However, it's another thing entirely to just be a plain old dick of which I'm tired of there always being excuses for. It genuinely pisses me off whenever I see this topic bumped for another stupid fucking thing some people did to a member.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm quite frankly tired of the "lol the new guy is an idiot AMIRITEGUYS XDDDDDDD" bullshit that goes on in the status updates almost every time a dumb topic pops up.

Unfortunately bitching about it here won't make it stop.

• Thumbs Up 7

That is the strange thing about these "status" updates....They are brand new comparing to the life of the board. Moderators never forsaw this and now since its known there are actions against it.

I find Chris's justifications to be equally strict and loose in the sense that even the newcomers can be subjected to this penalty and discourage using the feature. On the other hand, I admit that I do a lot of Vaguebooking on SSMB which people get away with it (and I will stop at it..)

Just my 2 pents.

I do admit, the status updates tend to get out of control, and I say that speaking from experience so I don't find Chris' decision rash at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calm down and stop being dramatic,

Calm? I was calm. I'm not even sure if I was being dramatic. I was pissed at something else when I posted that and it kinda...leached it's way into my reply.

Chris' descision sounds reasonable and fair to me. We all (or most of us regulars anyway) like to have some fun in the status updates, complete with mini-memes, sarcasm and basically using it as a kind of comic relief from the more serious nature and higher discussion standards of the discussion forums (which is something I like and respect about SSMB, don't get me wrong).

But it goes too far when the jokes are turned on someone else, especially when they aren't expecting it (and who is?). I look at stuff like this and from my perspective, I don't think people are being excessively offensive (It's pretty mild, really). But when I think about it from the perspective of a newcomer, it would seem like everyone are being assholes and making fun of me. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is when you put yourself in the shoes of the newcomer who's being targeted. I think that it would be unnerving for just about anyone to see people talk about you as if you're not there.

EDIT: Even after tweaking this post a number of times to try and get my sentiment across effectively, I still feel like it doesn't quite make sense. But I hope it does to the people reading it.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

I barely use the status updates, so it doesn't really affect me; that said, there's no achievement points/trophies for being a douche against other people, so why bother?

Next time you feel the urge to be condescending to others, new members or not, ask yourself if doing so is really worth your time. If you think it is, go kill yourself as that sounds a lot more productive.