Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

I have to be frank...

Looking at this topic, the attitudes, and the recent mod and admin updates on these things, I'd say that the SSMB is going through a similar period that it went through back in 2005-06 when the rage was at its worst. Newer members might not know what I'm talking about, but oldbies who have been around to witness that period before the server wipe can vouch for this and probably see what I'm talking about.

We went through a rather peaceful period (well peaceful by comparison to when ShTH and Sonic 06 came out) during the period of Unleashed-Generations, but now we're starting to sink back into the drama that was subdued until then. Or at least we're making a whole new version of it as newer SSMB members come into contact with the Old Guard and bringing some views that conflict and polarize what a lot of old members felt as stable on the forums.

Is any other oldbie seeing this now that I brought this up?

But you're not Frank you're ChaosSupremeSonic

Eh, I joined around then and I was probably too stupid back then to tell, I remember I was warned on one or two occasions for being melo and argumentative but I remember things were pretty dramatic up to and around the release of Sonic '06 and SatSR.

I also remember that as a newbie in 2005, SSMB was a very scary place to me and I took a long break from 2006/2007 right up til the site reset - it's probably because I was internet-stupid and got threads locked and people disagreeing with me or making fun of me in drones that it seemed like a scary place. Because I know that while ya'll like to make fun of newcomers because 'we' value the high quality members and discussion that takes place, you're all nice people and I don't think that, bandwagons outstanding, you actually mean any harm at all.

Either way I want to confess that I can sometimes be guilty/partial of making fun of locked topics while the sidebar is goin nuts about them - I like bandwagons and I like to feel included in things, it's shameful of me to do that seeing as I'm a mod and staff member on Cubed3 and I really don't have any excuse rather than attention seeking! However I think this thread is a good thing when forum activity is tense, because I'm already seeing a little more positivity and understanding from people here 'n' there.

New member mentality is that if their thread gets locked and people make fun of them, the site is scary and they don't want to know. This is common especially when people aren't actually used to how forums work, so I think it's important to remind newcomers that if their first few threads don't go so well, it's ok, we still love them and we'd like to help them become accustomed to things.

Edited by SuperLink

We went through a rather peaceful period (well peaceful by comparison to when ShTH and Sonic 06 came out) during the period of Unleashed-Generations, but now we're starting to sink back into the drama that was subdued until then. Or at least we're making a whole new version of it as newer SSMB members come into contact with the Old Guard and bringing some views that conflict and polarize what a lot of old members felt as stable on the forums.

Is any other oldbie seeing this now that I brought this up?

Yeah I'm definately seeing this. I remember a topic a week or so ago that someone new was complaining about how the rules were set up and Pelly trying to explain why the rules were set the way they were. I can't find it anymore so I think the mods got fed up with the topic and removed it from existance.

Also,

I haven't been on this forum that long, so I still consider myself new.

I joined around the time we were getting our first bit of information on Sonic Generations (or...something near that?). And to me, it was a great time to be on SSMB. This was a time where the hype kept mostly everyone in high spirits (heated debates aside) and there wasn't much drama, so to speak. So I was able to get into the groove of this place relatively well because of this.

But because of this I noticed how this place has gotten a bit more sour lately, it was like a flash or something.

Even though we aren't supposed to, people still post in spammy topics or topics with no discussion value, and most of the time it's something snarky to say, and naturally they get a lot of likes from it. Even I've liked posts like these before, I admit. Either that or it's a lone gif image that can also generate likes from others.

We also have a tendency to think every New member to the forums is a troll or whatnot. And sometimes, even if their viewpoints are controversial, we keep coming to that assumption and it doesn't help calm down the drama if New members can't feel welcome because they're being called a troll, or if we're just eating them alive. I can see why they wouldn't sometimes, when I was fresh on the forum I was quite scared to jump into debates and I was worried I'd be eaten alive because the topic had gotten really tense. Now I'm used to it, but you can't say the same for brand new members.

Said this before, but I think as a community we need to become more tight with each other. Become more welcoming as a large forum that any new member could jump right in and enjoy themselves like before. I mean, none of us here are really bad people right? It's definitely possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even though we aren't supposed to, people still post in spammy topics or topics with no discussion value, and most of the time it's something snarky to say, and naturally they get a lot of likes from it. Even I've liked posts like these before, I admit. Either that or it's a lone gif image that can also generate likes from others.

Yeah it does seem the only reasons people do is to go like whoring.

About GIFs, if members aren't allowed to contribute sarcastic comments and Gifs to spammy type threads does this mean Mods aren't as well or are they excepted for this new rule?huh.png

Next time you feel the urge to be condescending to others, new members or not, ask yourself if doing so is really worth your time. If you think it is, go kill yourself as that sounds a lot more productive.

Comments like these will not be tolerated. I don't know who you are to think that any amount of frustration you have with the boards warrants this statement, but this is

You know you could just delete the message and tell him this in a PM, and save him public embarrassment. It's a bit harsh. Just saying...

Edited by Aeronautical

You know you could just delete the message and tell him this in a PM, and save him public embarrassment. It's a bit harsh. Just saying...

I think the point is to let people know that comments like that aren't tolerated; to set an example.

I agree but it shouldn't be like that though. No one should be 'set an example of.' Anyways, let us just drop it before feelings get hurt. Much love.

Edited by Aeronautical

I am not embarrassed; I had the chance to edit it out but I chose not to. It had to be addressed publicly. If nothing was said in public, it would've been a silent consent that this kind of message I brought would be accepted. So he had to do that.

I already accepted the fact that the biggest punishment from this event was losing the respect from others that I gained ironically in this same thread. I don't want to comment further on this, but you can rest in peace knowing that I am not hurt by this in particular.

• Thumbs Up 7

It had to be addressed publicly. If nothing was said in public, it would've been a silent consent that this kind of message I brought would be accepted. So he had to do that.

^This is what I meant, but I didn't know how to say it.

This might be connected to the lack of Sonic news.

I'm sure if they announced a new Sonic game, people wouldn't be as bored and would rather discuss endlessly in x section.

tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

About GIFs, if members aren't allowed to contribute sarcastic comments and Gifs to spammy type threads does this mean Mods aren't as well or are they excepted for this new rule?huh.png

This is another thing, I see new members get jumped on from time to time by moderators to put more effort into grammar, spelling, capitalization, et al when posting, but we have a few members around (not naming names) who do that all the time, with 2-4 word posts that never get addressed. It just comes off as a weird double-standard, though I'm sure no one is intending it.

Moderators are moderators. It is their job to make people follow the rules. People shouldn't be stepping in their position nor should they spam up a thread with the same "wtf" responses for 3 pages.

Also, Moderators don't jump down new members throats and mock them in threads/status updates. "lel lel did you see that new user? XD XD XD"

Honestly, I hardly see people report grammar things on older members, thus I don't find them. It's pretty easy when I can scroll down to the bottom of the first page and check out yet again who the newest member of SSMB is, find their 3 only posts on the forum, find that they're pretty bad with grammar and fix it right then and there. I don't really scan every topic on the board constantly and kinda rely on you guys for extra eyes and ears. So in a sense, if you guys want us to catch on to more people, then ultimately report when you see an issue.

Even that said however, I won't lie and say there's times I let things slide. Why? Because it's frankly not fun getting on everyone's case ever. When I see on older member slip up once every blue moon, since I know how they are from experience, sometimes I just trust it won't happen again or it was an accident on grammar/mispelling/etc, since I've seen them post perfectly fine in the recent past. It's when it becomes something on going, I'll probably step in. I'm giving out free passes here, so don't take it as that, I'm simply saying that I don't like cracking down hard all the time.

Honestly, as far as double standards go, I can't tell if you guys want us to be more easy going or more rough, so make up your mind already.

• Thumbs Up 6

Honestly, as far as double standards go, I can't tell if you guys want us to be more easy going or more rough, so make up your mind already.

Well, as he says, he's sure no-one's intending it. Personally I think you're doing fine; the rules on grammar here improve post quality and I think it's something that sets SSMB apart from the crowd. But yeah, everyone makes sub-par posts every once in a while (I've made a few one-sentence posts myself) and as you pointed out, you and the other mods understand this and just trust that it won't happen again/become a regular thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

This might sound a little introspecting coming from my virtual mouth, but I can genuinely say that I am a believer that everyone deserves a second chance. I vouch for the "fool me once, fool me twice" philosophy, and I would believe that things are run over here in a similar way.

What I have a problem with is when people make a mistake, know they made it, but don't feel sorry for it or try to truly move on from it.

Everyone makes mistakes (and YES, that includes the staff). That's what makes us human and not a bunch of NPC's. This whole "double standard" is bogus because I don't think it comes down to favoritism, but more like history that has been created over time. If you take a member who has been consistently in good standing for say, 5 years, and then he makes one mistake, should this mistake stand above all the good deeds this member has brought to the table?

A new member might make more mistakes than an older one at first, due to lack of familiarity to the rules. I think that's why it seems that rule enforcing is unbalanced. But, like I said, if I were a mod, I would assume that whatever mistakes new members make, as they become more aware of the rules, eventually they will grow and not repeat the past.

I don't see an issue with the way the staff has been running things lately; only thing I would perhaps suggest is for them to make sure that whenever they speak to a member about an issue they are causing, that they make sure that said member knows what they did was wrong ultimately, and promise at least put an effort to improve on their way of thinking. If I told a member I had a problem with their one-word posts, and they try to question me, why would I tolerate that? That's just me though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I hardly see people report grammar things on older members, thus I don't find them. It's pretty easy when I can scroll down to the bottom of the first page and check out yet again who the newest member of SSMB is, find their 3 only posts on the forum, find that they're pretty bad with grammar and fix it right then and there. I don't really scan every topic on the board constantly and kinda rely on you guys for extra eyes and ears. So in a sense, if you guys want us to catch on to more people, then ultimately report when you see an issue.

Whoa, hold the phone!

Hold_the_phone.png

We're supposed to report bad grammar!? I figured it was just for grassing on naughty ones.

Gosh, seems like a lot of extra work. Plus their must be a line somewhere. Like from minor ones like "OMG! No full stop! Burn the witch!!" To major ones like "wut the fuk did he juts s8?"

Guess you have to use your best judgement. Still, I always hate being a hassle. As long as I understand the basics of what's being said, that'll be enough for me. Plus you should be lenient towards those whose English isn't a first language.

When they say Bad Grammar I always assumed it was things like what you'd expect to see from a text message or other some such nonsense. I can see why there would be a rule against it.

I was making a point where someone mentioned that some people get away with grammar mistakes sometimes and others don't at times. Use your best judgement, meaning if something is like noticeably bad, then report it. But if I miss a word in my sentence or something, don't report me 3 times over because it's not like I'm suddenly brain dead on typing at a readable level.

I'm not aiming this at everyone when I say this, but while rules are rules, it's up to our discretion ultimately. Taking every single little problem in the world as a literal rule break would be ridiculous, and if we let everything slide then that'd also be ridiculous. All in all, we got the grounds covered and don't pick favorites, and if you have an issue with anything, never be afraid to ask or report something.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here (or maybe I am, because of the side I'm supporting. Bah.), but I'm getting tired of all the stuff that's coming from people about KatamariParadox. Okay, you don't like what she's doing. Can't... you guys... just ignore her? Seriously, you guys know it's just gonna lead to more drama, which isn't tolerated here. Seriously, you guys remind me of a school I left (and it was a pretty good school for the standards) because of my classmates. And those are middle schoolers. C'mon, can't we... just get along? All this ranting and supposed bawwing and drama looks so childish.

...I'm not regretting this post even if I get suspended or anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha, things always happen when I take trips to other parts of the country!

We're supposed to report bad grammar!? I figured it was just for grassing on naughty ones.

Gosh, seems like a lot of extra work. Plus their must be a line somewhere. Like from minor ones like "OMG! No full stop! Burn the witch!!" To major ones like "wut the fuk did he juts s8?"

Guess you have to use your best judgement. Still, I always hate being a hassle. As long as I understand the basics of what's being said, that'll be enough for me. Plus you should be lenient towards those whose English isn't a first language.

As long as the message is understandable, we only really tend to ask members to add punctuation and capital letters where due, like really basic. I understand your worry regarding non-English speakers. Rest assured that most, if not all languages that use this alphabet, share common grammar like capitalized letters at start of sentences and punctuation at the end, unless of course exclamation or question marks are in order. If we contact a member and the issue appears to be difficulties related to something like dyslexia or the language not being their native tongue, we can give leeway, but once again regarding foreign languages, basic grammar is usually more or less universal regardless of language. I never even touch English outside the SSMB and certain areas online, and I seem to be doing basic grammar without much trouble. Nonetheless, if members seem to have trouble with this, we could go easy on them, and if they are willing, we would love to help and show them the few basics.

Up through time, most members who violate to the rules are fully capable of typing with basic grammar, but they were simply not bothered, and until we are notified otherwise, we will assume that members are capable of doing this. We know that it may sound a little nitpicky, but we feel that a more overall pleasuring reading experience, impression and atmosphere outweigh that tiny bit extra effort to add basic grammar. =)

And we are not like hunting birds out looking for prey, like lack of punctuation in every single post, but if we start feeling that a member has somehow pulled out their shift or punctuation keys from their keyboards, or that they more frequently do not include those characters in posts, we may contact them.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is another thing, I see new members get jumped on from time to time by moderators to put more effort into grammar, spelling, capitalization, et al when posting, but we have a few members around (not naming names) who do that all the time, with 2-4 word posts that never get addressed. It just comes off as a weird double-standard, though I'm sure no one is intending it.

For me, if I see an older member who doesn't capitalize an I......I generally know that they have 1000 other posts that are perfectly fine and they just slipped up a bit. It's not that big of a deal when it's not a habit, and I don't see the need to make a huge deal of in when I know it's not really an overall reflection of that member or the boards.

When someone comes in with their first post like 'Hiezzz ppl, i luv sonic how bout u guiz', I'm going to step in and try to correct the problem for one because for the most part I'm just assuming their new and don't know the rules, and I don't have a reference to know if this is the case or not.

Of course I can tell you that their have been some long time members that have got in trouble for their posting habits going downhill over a long period of time. I remember a couple cases of digging through long-time members posting histories and seeing like 25 of their last 30 posts basically being spammy, and they have gotten talked to about it.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here (or maybe I am, because of the side I'm supporting. Bah.), but I'm getting tired of all the stuff that's coming from people about KatamariParadox. Okay, you don't like what she's doing. Can't... you guys... just ignore her? Seriously, you guys know it's just gonna lead to more drama, which isn't tolerated here. Seriously, you guys remind me of a school I left (and it was a pretty good school for the standards) because of my classmates. And those are middle schoolers. C'mon, can't we... just get along? All this ranting and supposed bawwing and drama looks so childish.

Also CoN can you elaborate on this, because honestly I'd like to know what you're referring to

• Thumbs Up 1

Also CoN can you elaborate on this, because honestly I'd like to know what you're referring to

I saw that edit ;P

Basically people have been giving Kat shit by calling her a guy when they know full well it bugs her. I haven't seen much of it lately though.

• Thumbs Up 1

What... Are you talking about? I haven't seen any of what you're referring to for at least a week. Let dead dogs lie.

Edited by Frogging101

It's already been taken care of as far as the board here is concerned, as well as any other form of drama lately