Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

Haha whoops, it's early I make mastakes D;

But seriously, stuff like this should really be reported if it's happening and brought to our attention, rather than just being argued out in public. All this recent personal drama is cause for concern, but especially bullying of a member is no small matter. This is not something we tolerate on our forums, and as members it's really your responsibility if you see it to bring it to staff attention, be it taking a screen shot or just reporting it. We've already made a topic to crack down on all this public drama back and forth between members, so please if it's happening from now on bring it to our attention (and please don't try to step in yourselves, it just adds fuel to the flames).

Also Frogging, I know you mean well but can you please stop trying to quiet people when they're bringing stuff up. This is the member feedback forum, and people are allowed to post what they're thinking or seeing. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean someone else's post is discredited, there could be stuff going on that you don't know....and even if not, if it's concerning members then I see every reason they should bring it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ya it's not a great set up for reporting as it is now, I think the best way is to report the member and then C/P the status thread into the report. It's not the most convenient, but it's workable.

Ya it's not a great set up for reporting as it is now, I think the best way is to report the member and then C/P the status thread into the report. It's not the most convenient, but it's workable.

Just to add on, screen shots work amazing as well. Since any member has the ability to delete their status, they could get rid of any evidence of anything before we get to it. But yeah like pelly said, there's ways of doing it that aren't that out of the way.

I hate to be that guy who just starts complaining about everything, but why is it that Status Updates can be deleted but posts can't?

If we had the choice we wouldn't let you delete updates, it's just built into the system and it's a big pain. The thought process behind it is a lot of the time people would delete stuff, it's stuff we as the staff team would rather see rather than just let people try and cover up. Other than double posts, I don't see what people would ever need to delete anyways, and double posts are hardly a problem anymore since the forum auto merges posts that are made withen 15 minutes (or something like that).

Just to add on, screen shots work amazing as well. Since any member has the ability to delete their status, they could get rid of any evidence of anything before we get to it. But yeah like pelly said, there's ways of doing it that aren't that out of the way.

Honestly, I didn't even know that you could post screencaps of trouble posts/status updates on the report; I figured such functionality was locked out for it.

Nah should be fine. If it were me, I'd probably screencap it, run over to tinypic.com or something, report the issue and paste it the image with a thing or whatever it is, and it should function correctly (or at least I'd think it would). If all else fails, just a link to the image would be fine.

Though if it's just a post, I wouldn't worry about it. In the reports, there's already a link that zooms right to what you reported on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, if you are unable to use the tags, merely providing the link to the image in the report field works just fine too, thanks. =)

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, there are plenty of times where I tried to report a member only to find the status update gone before I could do anything.

Also Frogging, I know you mean well but can you please stop trying to quiet people when they're bringing stuff up. This is the member feedback forum, and people are allowed to post what they're thinking or seeing. Just because you haven't seen something doesn't mean someone else's post is discredited, there could be stuff going on that you don't know....and even if not, if it's concerning members then I see every reason they should bring it up.

Okay, fair enough. Sorry about that.

Wait. Does that mean that the staff can't see a trouble status update if it is deleted either? Every time I've PMed a mod about them I've operated on the assumption that even if the OP decided to hide what they did so they didn't get in trouble, the staff could see it regardless.

Wait. Does that mean that the staff can't see a trouble status update if it is deleted either? Every time I've PMed a mod about them I've operated on the assumption that even if the OP decided to hide what they did so they didn't get in trouble, the staff could see it regardless.
At the risk of opening up a whole new can of worms, no, we cannot.

I noticed the more features a social website has, the more drama it attracts. Imagine if we had a chatroom... Never mind. When that chatroom isn't talking about Sonic stuff, I can barely recognize sometimes because of the troll-like atmosphere. I wish I could just leave and come back whenever, but because I have to stay inside otherwise people complain about leaving and going back and forth, I am forced to put up with the bickering that happens sometimes.

Saying this could possibly get me into hot water and might not even be worth saying, but I really gotta get it off my chest. Sometimes, I question why I sign on here, and it's mostly because of the users. I'm not gonna throw anyone under the bus by naming names, but goddamn, some of you are so rude, condescending, and overall unlikeable. It's pretty bad when I'm saying this, believe me, because I rarely dislike people. You can't change who people are, and I understand that. I'm just simply voicing my opinion and stating that I think a lot of people here need an attitude change. I'm by no means trying to offend anyone either. Really.

EDIT: And I'm not really speaking from personal experience (though I'm sure things like this have occued to me before, which I just brushed off), but rather how I see other users treat each other. I usually just keep my mouth shut, but I have taken note on a lot of things here.

This is exactly why I never appear online anymore and don't really post often. It got to the point where I felt battered and stressed every time I came into contact with this site and the people on it. Granted it's not everybody and I recognize my faults, but really it shouldn't have had to come to how low I felt, it was almost bullying looking back. Oh well. (And it would definitely help if people weren't twiddling their thumbs waiting for some substantial news, we've burned through just about every topic.)

• Thumbs Up 2

The Skype chat isn't affiliated with the forums in any way. We don't have an official one.

I was going to say something to this effect but wasn't certain whether or not it's official, I assumed it wasn't because AFAIK the Sype chat thread isn't even pinned. I left It a while ago (not because of drama or anything; I just didn't like all the notifications and stuff and whenever I checked it, there were so many unread messages that it would freeze Skype). But since it isn't official, I assume that moderators have no obligation to deal with anything that happens there, and probably don't want to deal with it if it gets carried over onto SSMB.

The Skype chat isn't affiliated with the forums in any way. We don't have an official one.

I read this during lunch break at work and I realized I would need a lot of time to think about how to express how I feel regarding this matter, especially because I feel like I am treading on thin ice. Hopefully you will understand where I am coming from with this.

I found your post to be agreeable, but also like it left something out that can only be speculated until you clarify it. I know the Skype chatroom is unofficial; however, it's still a way of communication among members here.

This is where the speculation comes in, and by the way, when I say this, I interpret this as directly coming from you rather than the staff as a whole: the way you brush off my concern with the chatroom implies that whatever happens there stays there. Maybe I am wrong (I hope I am) because not only do I disagree with that method of thinking, but I know for a fact that there has to be at least one mod here who has reacted to bad behavior happening there.

In fact, I will even try to be as specific as I can without giving out names, but I am friends with someone in this forum who introduced me to the chatroom and then we quickly decided that it would be better to have our own separate group. No harm there, but whenever our little group was offline, I would go into the UN-official chatroom, which "isn't affiliated with the forums in any way." One of those days, this same friend who introduced me to it quickly became a target of harassment in it, which was then carried into the status updates eventually. I asked my friend if there was anything I could do, and s/he said s/he spoke with a mod about it and the related person was given a warning.

You might think that was wrong, but I applaud that action, because even if we are not talking in here, I would like to assume that when I am out at work, or out in school, that I am still a SSMB member and that I want to carry the good nature that should be a characteristic of being one. I would like to think that this punishment would've happened even before this issue escalated into the status updates.

If I were to open up a 4chan thread named "The Unofficial SSMB 4chan Thread", and spammed it with crap, lies about members, and pretty much all kinds of shenanigans, I would hope to be punished for it. Imagine if I said, "But my UNOFFICIAL SSMB 4chan thread 'isn't affiliated with the forums in any way.' Not only that, but also I never actually did anything in the forums themselves - feel free to look at my post history." Would you defend me?

I also recall sometime ago, some drama did happen that was related to harassment that even got the SEGA forums involved, and thank God it got taken care of.

Again, I am just trying to understand your post a little better. I am not accusing you or anyone of anything, I just wanted some clarification over how you feel and whether you can say that said feelings are mutually shared among the staff.

Edited by Phantom R / Tenchibr

There's not really anything that the staff can do in situations like that outside of when that harassment carries over on to on-board activities (as was the case in your example). You can report it and, they might keep an eye on whoever was doing it to make sure it doesn't happen here, but that's about all the site rules cover. For starters, there is the elephant in the room regarding whether or not the person doing the harassing off-site is actually the same person that the staff would theoretically take action against.

If I were to open up a 4chan thread named "The Unofficial SSMB 4chan Thread", and spammed it with crap, lies about members, and pretty much all kinds of shenanigans, I would hope to be punished for it. Imagine if I said, "But my UNOFFICIAL SSMB 4chan thread 'isn't affiliated with the forums in any way.' Not only that, but also I never actually did anything in the forums themselves - feel free to look at my post history." Would you defend me?

I don't see any of the members who were involved with that idiocy over on the Sega forums a couple of weeks ago having been banned over that, and that was the exact thing you're talking about.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1