Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

When something is reported, moderators try to investigate the situation as a whole.

As a recent example, nine reports were active at the time and the situation was running out of control. Not being familiar with the situation, it was not easy to do something without having the grounds to do so. I ran a test revealing one user registering and using multiple accounts, one of the biggest offenses on the SSMB. Banning on the grounds of that bought me time and opportunity to investigate, take further action and purge the situation without worrying about doing something horribly wrong.

Sometimes a topic can go berserk and require immediate action, and quite often, a report is the gateway and focus for investigation. If something unfortunate really does happen, and if the staff for some reason is not picking up on it, please contact the moderator in question or an admin.

That is great for understanding the current situation, but consider this:

Lets say that I decided that I do not like a specific topic for whatever reason. Apparently, I see the topic as breaking a rule on the forum but nobody else considers it. Instead, I use the report system to bring it up to the staff's attention but somehow thrown under "low priority". After reporting it and logging in the next day, I still see the topic and instead of trying to reach to the mods via PM I spam the report system with reports on that specific topic every couple of minutes or so.

That is the reasoning behind the question I posted above, and by design can look like the report system can be abused for spam.

Ah. If the same topic is being reported by the same user for the same reason repetively, we will not do any extra consideration just because of that, unless something in the topic changes. If a member keeps spamming the same report over and over, we may contact the member and clarify how the system works. When a report is received, it stays active on the same level as other reports unless specifically cleared by a moderator. This happens either if action has been done in response to the report, if the moderator thinks no action is or shortly might be required or if it has been active for a while and moderators feel the rule violation is so minor that it does not warrant a topic lock.

So far, moderators have been content with the report system and are investigating every report that arrives. As far as I know, we have never before had an issue with members spamming reports. If the time comes when a member purposely spams reports over and over about the exact same thing, we will contact them about it. Furthermore, if a member does it with the clear intention of hindering or trolling moderators, we will think of something that makes them regret.

I hope this somewhat answers your question!

• Thumbs Up 3

This pretty much happens everywhere, and it's very noticeable on the Sega Forums. Best thing to do is ignore it. People will always be like this, mind.

Personally, I think one reason we bicker at times is because of difficulty perspective taking. For example, any member might not understand another's circumstances clearly. I hate to quote a book, but "you don't really know a person until you spend a day in their shoes."

• 1 month later...

How should I respond if one member in particular annoys me to no end?

You honestly probably shouldn't, depending on the context. If they are doing something you feel is abusive or somesuch, please report it; but if they just annoy you because of their posting style or attitude or things of that nature, probably best just to slap them on ignore.

• Thumbs Up 4

Fair enough. It's just... when users get really petty about something, it tends to grind my gears, and I'm generally one of the more lax people here. It's especially grating when everyone goes along with it, y'know? 

That said, I know better than to flame or anything. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Is this topic still open to discussion? Its been around a month or so since the last post (Megumi's), so forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse.

I havn't read all 20 pages of this thread, I'll admit. This place, however, is actually one of the few message boards I recommend to friends as one of the friendlier forums out there (In comparison to other Sonic message boards).  I've seen occasional things from time to time, but this is generally one of the better places to be. The other boards I've frequented are far, far worse.

I only have around 65 posts, so I might not have had a chance to see any of the animosity yet.

Edited by Cyalume

Since you're new, I'll come in to let you know that topics can get VERY heated. We at the very least try our best not to flame, but that still doesn't prevent things from getting very intense when people post.

It's mainly due to passion really since we love what we're talking about, but for the most part, we tend to respect each other and have fun despite having a degree of cynicism. Although the lack of info on the next Sonic game is really driving some members nuts. laugh.png

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think so too; maybe part of it is me not posting as much as I used to, and part of it is observing. If you didn't see much drama yet, it's probably because on a general level, things have been calmer lately. I also partially believe that having more staff helps the cause as well, since there's overall better control of situations that may arise.

I think overall we are doing fine and that's why you haven't seen much activity in this thread lately.

Edited by c=~

Since you're new, I'll come in to let you know that topics can get VERY heated. We at the very least try our best not to flame, but that still doesn't prevent things from getting very intense when people post.

It's mainly due to passion really since we love what we're talking about, but for the most part, we tend to respect each other and have fun despite having a degree of cynicism. Although the lack of info on the next Sonic game is really driving some members nuts. laugh.png

To go see what hes talking about in recent terms, go take a gander at that Taxman Sonic 1 & 2 port topic.

Btw, wtf? that topic man...

To go see what hes talking about in recent terms, go take a gander at that Taxman Sonic 1 & 2 port topic.Btw, wtf? that topic man...

There was nothing terribly wrong with that topic, IMO.

There was nothing terribly wrong with that topic, IMO.

From what I'm seeing, someone had a little spat with one of the mods.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I'm seeing, someone had a little spat with one of the mods.

Oh. I hadn't seen those latest ~4 posts. Yeah, wtf was that about? I thought goku was talking about the stuff that was happening a few days ago (when people from Retro were posting).

Oh. I hadn't seen those latest ~4 posts. Yeah, wtf was that about? I thought goku was talking about the stuff that was happening a few days ago (when people from Retro were posting).

You got me on that one. I didn't even know Retro peeps were posting here til yesterday.

The Sonic 1 and 2 Taxman topic is filled with people having a go at one another. Sega's 2013 plans is also filled to the brim with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Sonic 1 and 2 Taxman topic is filled with people having a go at one another. Sega's 2013 plans is also filled to the brim with it.

^ These threads are why I'm kind of scared of this place and everyone in it. I'm honestly horribly terrified of causing drama and being judged poorly, and I joined to have friendly discussions. Not to be judged and treated poorly. 

I'm sorry. I had to say it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

^ These threads are why I'm kind of scared of this place and everyone in it. I'm honestly horribly terrified of causing drama and being judged poorly, and I joined to have friendly discussions. Not to be judged and treated poorly. 

I'm sorry. I had to say it. 

You don't have to go in those topics. Besides, you can go into topics non-Sonic related about stuff that you enjoy. There's no reason to be scared of us. We're all really friendly, we can just seem a little bit nasty when we express our opinions. 

• Thumbs Up 7

You don't have to go in those topics. Besides, you can go into topics non-Sonic related about stuff that you enjoy. There's no reason to be scared of us. We're all really friendly, we can just seem a little bit nasty when we express our opinions. 

You're right. But when you're lurking this site because you're starved for news and this place is your #1 most reliable source for it, and you see THOSE TOPICS? You can see why I was intimidated. Especially with the vibe this place gives off that it's extremely friendly. I've been here long enough to see for myself that's true, but... 

However, I did join anyway. Hopefully I'll just get used to the place and learn to shrug off things like that. 

... Maybe. unsure.png

You're right. But when you're lurking this site because you're starved for news and this place is your #1 most reliable source for it, and you see THOSE TOPICS? You can see why I was intimidated. Especially with the vibe this place gives off that it's extremely friendly. I've been here long enough to see for myself that's true, but... 

However, I did join anyway. Hopefully I'll just get used to the place and learn to shrug off things like that. 

... Maybe. unsure.png

Well there's a lot of strong debaters here so I don't blame you for being intimidated. You don't have to post if you don't want to. Sometimes it's better to look at others post. Then you start to enjoy reading it and you start to learn how to join the conversation.

I think it's best that you remember that as long as you act mature and be respectful towards the opinions of others, then no one is really judging you as a person.  Debates get heated, yes, but in the end, I'm pretty sure all of us are level-headed enough to know that it's just a game discussion.  Without mentioning any names, there are some members whom I have disagreed with to great extents before and chances are we may never see eye-to-eye on certain matters, but at the end of the day, we still joke on each other's statuses.  We still share fun conversations and we still treat each other as people.  We don't judge each other as horrible people or think of the other as less intelligent because of a different stance on a topic about a video game.  Doing so in itself would make someone considerably less intelligent.

I don't know if that's any consolation for you, but remember, if you feel intimidated by what a member is saying, then you're free to back out of a conversation.  No one can force you to post.  That being said, if you have something controversial or widely unpopular to share, then it's probably best you don't post it unless you're prepared to handle the backlash that comes with it.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got a warning for being honest. That goes to show you what sort of people are on here. But generally i'm a nice guy and mostly get along with others unless they test my patience. 

You didn't get a warning for being honest. You got a warning for continuing a discussion a staff member said should not have been continued because it was irrelevant to the topic of F4F figurines, and this staffer had to tell you four times, which is unnecessary. Stop blaming any and everything else for your warning. You are fully responsible for it.

• Thumbs Up 6

You didn't get a warning for being honest. You got a warning for continuing a discussion a staff member said should not have been continued because it was irrelevant to the topic of F4F figurines, and this staffer had to tell you four times, which is unnecessary. Stop blaming any and everything else for your warning. You are fully responsible for it.

So your still stalking me huh ? Glad to know you love me still XD