Awoo.

Why the animosity towards one another?

tenchibr

From what I've seen, some of the posts made by the likes of Miru and The_Master_Board has garnered quite a negative response from others.

One request I would like to make, but if you feel you cannot follow through with it, I understand: I would prefer to refrain from mentioning members directly just to avoid a bias against them if they decide to voice themselves here.

I like the discussion that's going now and I just hope that if there's anyone you don't like in this board that expresses him/herself here, that you guys give him/her a chance and listen to them.

Due to it, I honestly feel pretty isolated from the board, as I don't really communicate with anyone since I'm finding it hard to approach a majority of you anymore. I say it like this since it seems like the bunch of people that are usually pretty lax have retreated to a lurking mode or just straight up jumped ship. Don't take this personally, it's just part of my "eh-ness" on the board is due to this on my end.

I would like to think that the mere fact that you are posting here now is a step forward though, and I appreciate that you did. Maybe we'll knock the "eh-ness" out of you.

Edit: A quick rant. I am sick of the "Welcome to the Internet" card that's been played around for YEARS now. The fact that it's been said for so long, you would think people would finally "get it"; but yes, it's true that for the near future, there's nothing we can do. That doesn't give you the excuse to stay the way you are. What matters is now: you know what's going on here, and if you still believe that people don't take each other seriously around here, you need to become reattached to society and get help. I knew my wife from seeing her at school, but it was the Internet that showed me the side of her that she didn't outside; and for a lot of us here, it's the same way. I won't damn you if you don't agree with me; I will just feel sorry for you.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 6

I don't want to downplay this problem or anything. But I feel like I'm the only one who just doesn't see it. I keep hearing about how this board is unfriendly and people are cynical. But I have to be honest with you; I just don't... see it. I look at general attitude of the community and the interactions that take place, and I see nothing unusual. I see one or two people who can be quite rude, but as for most people... I see nothing out of place here.

I don't know if it's just my impaired social skills (Aspie) or the fact that I joined relatively recently. Am I the only one who doesn't see the problem? It's like people are pointing at something, and everyone can see it except for me. I'm lost.

You fall under the "jokey kind" category that Flareon referred to earlier. As a fellow Brazilian (assuming you are one), I can relate to that kind of wit. Yes, I can tell you like the debate atmosphere, but I don't feel like your posts are degrading. Not yet, at least.

tenchibr... Raphael... yes, you're Brazilian, haha.

Well, I like you guys and all, so I hope this mist of unfriendliness fades.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it helps, you're one of the ones that doesn't seem to take anything too seriously (excluding physics!). I can get down with that.

Edited by Andrew Albacia

I'm pretty sick of it.

As regular on the public skype chats that circle this board, most of the grudges that people have against each other started over a really petty disagreement or snarky comment that someone thought they were being funny but the other person didn't find it so. This bleeds on for weeks and tensions rise, and usually the rest of us have to sit and watch and work around it. Hell it just happened yesterday even.

From a moderator standpoint, I've almost had it. I mean it's been like this since like, the beginning of summer it seems, and it just gets tiring. Due to it, I honestly feel pretty isolated from the board, as I don't really communicate with anyone since I'm finding it hard to approach a majority of you anymore. I say it like this since it seems like the bunch of people that are usually pretty lax have retreated to a lurking mode or just straight up jumped ship. Don't take this personally, it's just part of my "eh-ness" on the board is due to this on my end.

Jeez, you & Diz are the laid back mods. if your feeling this way, then I'm guessing the other mods are ready to blow their tops...or not caring altogether. May explain why were not seeing much of Pelly these days.

Stop it, Goku. You know I like you!

LIAR! I know you hate me!! HATE ME DAMNIT I FEED ON ALL YOUR HATE!!!

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe it is because I am Brazilian that I am so inclined towards friendliness; it's in our blood. Brazilians don't like to fight wars; we were in both World Wars, but started off as neutral to be able to trade goods. So, yeah, the world could take a lesson from us in, well, "world peace..."

Edit: I am not DOWNPLAYING any of the World Wars by the way, they had their reasons to happen, and Brazil participated as well to defend the Allies. Just making sure I don't come off the wrong way.

Edited by tenchibr

LIAR! I know you hate me!! HATE ME DAMNIT I FEED ON ALL YOUR HATE!!!

*everyone group hugs on Goku*

We awl love you man. so hard. *squeezes*

diabetes all around

• Thumbs Up 1

Let's be honest. Most places on the internet are like this. The main reason things have gotten so edgy around here is because people are bored. There's almost nothing in the future Sonic fans have to look forward too, so we're stuck having the same flamewar filled discussions over and over and over.

I don't know if it's just my impaired social skills (Aspie) or the fact that I joined relatively recently. Am I the only one who doesn't see the problem? It's like people are pointing at something, and everyone can see it except for me. I'm lost.

I might PM you a link to an example if I find it, and then maybe you will see what I mean.

Edit: PM sent (that was fast!)

Edited by tenchibr

I mean... Seeing this thread was really depressing for me. It's like there's something invisible that's been going around stabbing people and I'm the only one who can't see it and isn't being stabbed by it. I've heard this and that about how people here are cynical and how there's animosity in the community. I've heard it's caused by the news drought recently.

But even after everything I've heard, I still don't see the animosity. I don't see the cynicism. At least not in unusual amounts as community interactions go. It makes me feel depressed because I hate seeing you guys upset over something. And I haven't even been aware of it this whole time. It makes me feel guilty for being blind. And the worst part is I'm still blind to it. And I don't know the cause of this "blindness" to the issue. Maybe it's my AS, maybe it's because I'm new, maybe it's because I'm insensitive; it could be any of these things or something entirely different.

The only times I've ever been affected by this issue is when other people mention it; then I become sad, because I don't like seeing you guys sad. That's not to say I'm blaming you for discussing this; absolutely not. I think the best thing we can do is be open about it. Openness relieves tension that would otherwise build into exchanges of negative emotions.

A few weeks ago Wolfy made a status update where he was sad because it seemed like everyone on the forum hated him. Then I decided to send him and the other mods a PM telling them how much I personally appreciate them. But I'm still mad at myself for not being aware of any of this. And I'd really like to know why I'm the only one who doesn't see it (not that I expect anyone else to know; I'm just rambling).

• Thumbs Up 3

Let's be honest. Most places on the internet are like this. The main reason things have gotten so edgy around here is because people are bored. There's almost nothing in the future Sonic fans have to look forward too, so we're stuck having the same flamewar filled discussions over and over and over.

Yeah but SSMB has shown for many years that it's better than that. It's the way it's devolved into a perceptibly overly serious and unfriendly place that is the issue here when it wasn't like this anywhere near as often before.

• Thumbs Up 7

I might PM you a link to an example if I find it, and then maybe you will see what I mean.

Edit: PM sent (that was fast!)

Yeah send me this too because I'm not seeing it, probably because I'm too used to this crap.

*everyone group hugs on Goku*

We awl love you man. so hard. *squeezes*

diabetes all around

GAH STOP IT! STOPITSTOPITSTOPITSTOPIT!!! IT BURNS!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah but SSMB has shown for many years that it's better than that. It's the way it's devolved into a perceptibly overly serious and unfriendly place that is the issue here when it wasn't like this anywhere near as often before.

Again, the news drought has made us bored. We don't have anything to do. We've basically been having the same discussions over and over for the past few months.

Look guys, I know we can be pricks sometimes, but that's mostly how the internet rolls, I'm sorry if it makes you guys feel bad because I try my best to be as respectful as possible, but sometimes there are people that being nice won't work against, and that's where the animosity comes from. No offense to Miru, but members like him tend to bring out the worse in us, especially when our opinions begin to clash with one another.

I used to have an issue with it, but really, it's just something I've come to expect; most of us are in their early twenties, and late teens and have been fans for years and just have a severe low tolerance. That doesn't excuse the behavior, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look guys, I know we can be pricks sometimes, but that's mostly how the internet rolls,

Edit: A quick rant. I am sick of the "Welcome to the Internet" card that's been played around for YEARS now. The fact that it's been said for so long, you would think people would finally "get it"; but yes, it's true that for the near future, there's nothing we can do. That doesn't give you the excuse to stay the way you are. What matters is now: you know what's going on here, and if you still believe that people don't take each other seriously around here, you need to become reattached to society and get help. I knew my wife from seeing her at school, but it was the Internet that showed me the side of her that she didn't outside; and for a lot of us here, it's the same way. I won't damn you if you don't agree with me; I will just feel sorry for you.

That's exactly what I was talking about. But at least you admit that "doesn't excuse the behavior," which I can appreciate. I hope you are not the only one who admits this though.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I think it's certain members that are really bringing out the worst in us lately. Not saying names, but most of them are recent members (except one long-standing one who I feel has gotten worse), but it really feels like they are trying to flamebait us, and well......it works. Not saying it's completely their faults (we do often except the flamebait after all), but I feel if these certain members tone down, we'll go back to our normal selves.

• Thumbs Up 5

That's exactly what I was talking about. But at least you admit that "doesn't excuse the behavior," which I can appreciate. I hope you are not the only one who admits this though.

Dude, I really don't know what to say; I've been on the internet for years, and have learned the hard way it is not a nice place. You can't be naive, or expect everyone to be your friend, there are just some people out there who are just pricks, the Internet does that to people, and it's an unfortunate consequence we all have to deal with. I mean if it bothers some people that much maybe the Internet just isn't for you, or at the website you're going to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean if it bothers some people that much maybe the Internet just isn't for you, or at the website you're going to.

Picture this: The Internet is the world, and SSMB is just a nice place to hangout and meet friends, like a beach, for example. I have been enjoying it for over a year, but I am starting to notice the trash sitting in the sand, floating around in the sea, and building up. I have 3 choices: 1 - I can ignore it, and let it get worse overtime; 2 - I can go to another beach, one which I don't think will ever be as good as the one I found; or 3 - I can do my best to clean the place up (talk to others about cleaning it up, picking up trash around, and even calling the "city hall"). I am willing to do #3.

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing though; SSMB, unlike most beaches, is a PRIVATE site. But it welcomes everyone, as long as they are willing to follow certain rules. As I mentioned earlier, a rule to enforce "kindness" is something I would be against, because there shouldn't need to be said rule. What I mean is this: the excuse that SSMB is part of the Internet and therefore makes it OK to be disrespectful to others is like saying I can walk inside a church and shout profanities in front of the altar because the First Amendment allows me to do so.

Edited by tenchibr
  • Thumbs Up 7

I don't feel like this behavior is new of SSMB, although I do think it's become more noticeable or frequent because people have a tendency to dogpile on the members who don't mesh quite as well with the community, and we've seen a large influx of them recently for whatever reasons. I also think the behavior's reinforced when blatantly insulting quips and exaggerated rants towards others get up-voted to high heaven, thus people equate the snark and useless posts as something to actually be commended.

I also don't believe this will simmer down when Sega announces something. Even when we have a new Sonic game to look forward to, some will still take on these kinds of hostile attitudes anyway because feelings are already running high and people become passionate. Sonic 4 and Generations' news cycles were rife with this behavior, and ultimately the lack of a new game on the horizon isn't an excuse for being rude anyway. Neither is "Well, it's the Internet; I can't help but act like a dickhead," to which I say hold yourself to a higher standard than that.

The atmosphere that can manifest in certain topics has been somewhat disappointing for the longest time now, and I don't think it's limited to just plain old rudeness either. I feel like any topic that goes off on a tangent or engages people in wordy debate, regardless of how respectful they're being towards one another, gets labelled as some sort of minefield in the topic and status updates anyway. I personally try my best not to become so invested in a topic that my attitude sours, but I know I'm not completely clean myself (and I apologize to anyone I've offended lately, especially you Awesomest; I feel like I overdid it in the Generations thread towards you at the end. ._.;;.), but at the same time, if me or someone else get going in a conversation, it automatically becomes intimidating to others, which in turn confuses me as to whether or not I'm doing anything wrong which sucks the fun out of the kind of conversation I figured was okay in a place that prides itself on maturity.

I don't know, really; I feel like the only solution is for everyone to just start being a bit more mindful and work collectively with one another to make sure that the overall atmosphere becomes friendlier, but frankly I have no hope for that considering how many posts here kind of legitimize the behavior simply because "it's the Internet." Meh.

• Thumbs Up 8

Yeah, this has been bugging me for a while now too. It's why I sometimes have little "breaks" now and then. Sometimes, it's just too much.

Not that I'm in any way trying to sound egotistical, but there's no other way of venting my own frustration. I consider myself a rather optimistic person for the most part, and I'm far too passive in real life for my own good, which of course affects what and how I post. So with that combination in mind, seeing the whole place become a sort of cesspool of verbal unfriendliness, confrontational debates sparked just by saying one little thing, sarcastic comments all around... it's a nightmare.

I've always tried my best to be civil and understanding, and that won't change. Of course I'm not saying I'm any good at it - I could be completely crap for all I know - but I like to think I'm at least trying. Yes I poke my own share of fun, but even then I usually try to be deliiberately over the top to make it clear that it's all in good fun... but because of my rather rubbish social skills in real life, very often someone does take it seriously, and I just sort of act submissive and quiet about it, like I've done something terrible.

Again, I apologise for making this sound like a wangsty all-about-me fest, but that's how it is from my point of view. It's why I tend to chicken out on debates... because I just don't want to cause yet another bout of unintentional trouble. It's got to the point in which I can barely tell from actual jabbings at each other and simple lengthy debates anymore. I just think a lot of people act way too hostile too much of the time.

Being a Sonic fan is already difficult in public. The last thing I need is for it to be here as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Picture this: The Internet is the world, and SSMB is just a nice place to hangout and meet friends, like a beach, for example. I have been enjoying it for over a year, but I am starting to notice the trash sitting in the sand, floating around in the sea, and building up. I have 3 choices: 1 - I can ignore it, and let it get worse overtime; 2 - I can go to another beach, one which I don't think will ever be as good as the one I found; or 3 - I can do my best to clean the place up (talk to others about cleaning it up, picking up trash around, and even calling the "city hall"). I am willing to do #3.

I also will do everything I can to be even nicer. If we all make an effort to be less hostile then we can fix this. Maybe once I see the problem this will be easier for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude, I really don't know what to say; I've been on the internet for years, and have learned the hard way it is not a nice place. You can't be naive, or expect everyone to be your friend, there are just some people out there who are just pricks, the Internet does that to people, and it's an unfortunate consequence we all have to deal with. I mean if it bothers some people that much maybe the Internet just isn't for you, or at the website you're going to.
Well, let's be fair. You can't control everyone, but you can control yourself. And I think part of being a human being...part of interacting with other people, is trying to guide them in the right direction. Sometimes that means standing up to their shit and telling them they've gone too far, even if you think they might not listen. In a way, everyone supports everyone else.

I don't think the nastier aspects of the internet should be left without comment, as if they're inevitable. They should be challenged, like every other idea.

• Thumbs Up 8

and I can't think of a single person I've argued with here that I wouldn't shake their hand afterwards (or at least, after a minute or two to cool down).

This much. I even find it healthy. If someone doesn't lose their temper so quickly and knows how to discern a personal, vicious attack from a debate, that person must be actually pretty cool and conversations flow more naturally without any of the parts jumping into defensive behaviour.

I like this kind of frank discussion.

But I also see why people would be unwilling to enter in this kind of field. I mean, some peple just want to speak their minds, listen to others, share experiences and that's it. That's a way to live life, I suppose, and a nonchalant and healthy one at that. It doesn't mean the perso doesn't have debating skills or doesn't want to be right. It just means getting into ardent discussions is not for them, or at least not in that moment.

• Thumbs Up 1