Awoo.

Blaze the Cat: Fleshed out character or glorified Mary Sue?

Kuzu

A gunslinger needs a certain amount of skill, otherwise he's just an idiot with a gun (who can still do a lot of damage, but not usually in a productive manner). All Cream has to do is point and Cheese will dive bomb whatever's within range.

Considering that’s significantly more than anyone else can do with a Chao, that is still an impressive feat.

Constantly, like, twice? And she's never been anything more than a bit player even in her biggest roles.

Twice more than Marine. And she did so in her first appearance to boot.

Try thinking beyond what has been explicitly shown. That Cream did more her first time does not prove that Marine cannot compete.

If Cream was a mere bit player by helping her team slow down Metal Overloard, I don’t even what to think what you would call Marine’s little distraction.

Marine has yet to show the ability to destroy a badnik, has yet to show off a baseline level of super speed common to mobians and has been slapped on the wrist for her efforts

What has she shown that could put her on Cream’s level? An unarmed water bike?

And then when the paradigm changes you are completely unable to make a rational argument. You've focused on the coincidence rather than what actually guides the series and its characters.

I’m sure its only coincidence that makes every human bob, joe and tom incapable of stupendous feats.

Tell you what. When the games get a Chris Thorndyke capable of running alongside Sonic and spin-dashing or some shit, I’ll change my tune.

That’s not a paradigm I expect to shift.

Basically the only way the games would've done otherwise would be to either write completely different stories or write really shitty versions of those stories. Blaze was the only power player from her world because that's all the stories required.

You listed the examples, not me.

So your argument is that all normals are normals. Brilliant fucking tautology. You gonna tell me that all blue hedgehogs are blue next?

No my argument is that the normal furries we’ve seen on Sonics world often possess some degree of super speed, some degree of strength, a spindash and maybe even some flight.

In Blaze’s world, the normies seem to lack almost all of that.

That's not backwards thinking, that's how proper reasoning works. If you don't have the facts, you don't speak in absolutes. If you can't understand that, there's no point in continuing this, because you do not understand how to think.

Very few decisions can be made in an environment of absolute certainty. Reasoning is taking what information you have available, assessing the situation and extrapolating a reasonable result.

With the information we have, there is no other conclusion. Blaze is the strongest until she is proven not to be. That’s all that needs to be said.

I'm not interested in continuing an argument with someone who is either fucking with me or too stupid to understand it. It's a waste of my time either way.

9 times out of 10 that’s how things end up between us.

Meh, this one was an argument that didn’t need to happen, but at least I managed to kill a couple of minutes here and there.

Anything to avoid doing something productive with my time lol.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

• 3 months later...

If she were a Mary Sue she wouldn't be trying to improve herself after meeting the rest of the cast - the rest of the cast would be trying to improve themselves after meeting her. She doesn't change anyone by her presence, but instead tries to adjust her own perceptions in order to better herself.

She got over har anti-social attitude after learning about The Real Super Power Of Teamwork from Sonic and friends, but to her credit she retained enough of her personality in Rush Adventure to be recognisable without snapping back and undoing her previous character development (see Shadow in Heroes and Shadow). She's willing to accept help in Rush Adventure, yet unlike Sonic she'll be cruel to be kind towards Marine (which she so totally deserved).

So, yeah. I like Blaze. I call her quite well fleshed out.

This. So much this.

None of the playable Sonic characters are "normies". Marine is not a "normie" either, since she apparently has some sort of water powers.

None of the playable Sonic characters are "normies". Marine is not a "normie" either, since she apparently has some sort of water powers.

Normies can still exist, they just exist exist on more of a sliding scale.

The average furry in Sonic's world could possess a little super speed, and maybe even a little flight but if they are run-of-the-mill ability wise then they are still "normal" in the context of their own world.

Marine has some sort of power, but its nothing that has been utilized more than a distraction. In a world with fire benders of Blaze's caliber, throwing a little distraction doesn't elevate Marine much higher than base status (at least not yet anyway).

Edited by Sega DogTagz