Awoo.

Sonic Generations Continuity Nods and References

Vertekins

Concerning Tails' comment about not recognizing Green Hill, a certain animated parody

that Tails has been with Sonic for quite a few of Green Hill's revisitings, or similarly themed levels. Edited by Natsuru Senō

Concerning Tails' comment about not recognizing Green Hill, a certain animated parody points out that Tails has been with Sonic for quite a few of Green Hill's revisitings, or similarly themed levels.

They did that so classic fans wouldn't complain about continuity? Or they were just trying to hard.

There was a Chao in Space billboard in Crisis City of Sonic 06 as well, but I haven't found if it's in Sonic Generation's version. Would be interesting if somebody's found that. Maybe in the rubble in the Silver fight?

The former is clearly a direct reference to Sonic and the Secret Rings despite Sonic's line not exactly being accurate to what he was actually doing throughout the game, as he never actually saves Genies unless you count his terminating of Shahra's relationship with Erazor and demanding that she be resurrected from death as "saving" her.
Well, saving the storybook world which contains genies probably counts too.

This is the reason why I always have to raise an eyebrow whenever people question if Sonic Team really cared about the product of the game or not, because while some areas are indeed lacking, I felt they truly put a lot of fan service and love into the product as a whole, it's really great.
I don't mean to start a fight about it, but I think the point is that they don't seem to put in the effort to get the important things right. Edited by hella jeff
  • Thumbs Up 3

This needs confirming as I can never pause the game or get a picture of it.

I'm almost certain that theres a reference to ASR in the Death Egg Robot fight. After the first phase of the boss, in the background there is a space ship (looks a bit like a train(?)) that flies past the window. It's very similar to one of the spaceships seen on the Death Egg track in ASR.

Theres another reference too with Amy and Rouge, I'm quite sure that once you collect all the red rings, if you speak to them, their dialogue changes, pretty sure Amy references Sonic CD and Rouge references... something else.

Some level nods and what not:

Classic Crisis City has a section where you go down the side of a knocked over building, much like Shadow's and Silver's levels in 06. The parts where you run around the circular buildings at the base are also clearly inspired by the original section. There's also the highest path in the Classic level where you hit a spring and go round a building with a spire on top - this was the super automated part of Crisis City's original level. The ending of Modern's level is obviously the tornado throwing car chase, but the tornado chills in the background lobbing shit at you - much like in Silver's and Shadow's levels, making it an possibly inadverted hybridisation. All the fiery elements, particularly the geysers on the ground, are pretty similar to Flame Core, as is the 3D platform over lava hopping that goes on.

One surprising detail when messing around was that the Iblis Worms actually HAVE the sweeping attack.

While the end of Planet Wisp Act 2 is essentially a larger version of Act 4, the very last part with the goal ring and going up and up and up is very reminiscent of Act 6. The quick step section is reminiscent of the one in Acts 1 and 3, while the breaking platforms and the ramp to the final section are almost straight out of Act 4 too.

Classic Seaside Hill starts out with a flat section where you fall into inch deep water - like the Hydrocity/Labyrinth reference later in the level, this must be a reference to Labyrinth Zone Act 1.

At Dawn isn't in the game, but there is still a segment where you avoid cars in Modern Speed Highway, and there's the Classic vs Cream mission set during the day too. It looks like Route 99 but this is a coincidence most likely.

The first part of Modern's Speed Highway is also pretty similar to the original - you start out standing still inside a building, then run up a massive loop which is skippable if you take a different route. Then you've got wall running, and if you fall you get to go round the green tube. Then you hit the yellow thing and hit the 2D area, where the level design changes a bit. Then you've got the chopper and not long after the building run. The corkscrew/inline twist is moved to the end of the level, of course.

The Modern Sonic vs Tails mission in GHZ is called "Way Past Fast".

Early on in Classic Sky Sanctuary an Egg Robo pops out of a tower, just like in the original. Some areas of both acts have green marks that look suspiciously like the Silver kinetic pad things from 06, as well as smashing through stained glass windows that are similar in nature to Kingdom Valley. Not sure if this is intentional though. Some of the indoor rooms, particularly the 3D one in Modern's level, are very reminiscent of S3&K's Hidden Palace zone.

There's also that one mission in Sky Sanctuary with Sky Rail/Ocean Base's bouncy floating springs that go up and up and up.

The Classic Tails Chemical Plant mission is obviously a S3&K reference, but the green dash rings for Tails to go through are straight out of Adventure and 06.

And of course, Modern Chemical Plant's waterslide is pretty much the same in design as Lost World's and Cannon's Core's versions of it. The skydiving and dodging shit is pretty much the one from Eggmanland aside from being less dickish.

The giant ferris wheel in Stardust Speedway's arena is something that's more from the background of the Good Future, as the Bad Future was just a clusterfuck city.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

- All of the character trophy's in the trophy gallery have poses that are identical to official artwork released for certain games;

Knuckles - I...actually can't tell this one...any help?

Knuckles' statue is based on this art from Sonic Channel:

8e22ee94.jpg

Edited by Pawnkin
  • Thumbs Up 3

This needs confirming as I can never pause the game or get a picture of it.

I'm almost certain that theres a reference to ASR in the Death Egg Robot fight. After the first phase of the boss, in the background there is a space ship (looks a bit like a train(?)) that flies past the window. It's very similar to one of the spaceships seen on the Death Egg track in ASR.

Theres another reference too with Amy and Rouge, I'm quite sure that once you collect all the red rings, if you speak to them, their dialogue changes, pretty sure Amy references Sonic CD and Rouge references... something else.

Oh yeah. I haven't recognised the shape, but you can see the same ship inside the hangar on the left-hand side of the arena. If you run all the way to the right during the second phase of the boss fight you can see it clearly.

You can just barely make out Angel Island in the far background in Classic Sky Sanctuary as the Death Egg is ascending.

otq4it.jpg

Judging by the mountain, it is the Sonic 3 incarnation of the island.

• Thumbs Up 9

You can just barely make out Angel Island in the far background in Classic Sky Sanctuary as the Death Egg is ascending.

otq4it.jpg

Judging by the mountain, it is the Sonic 3 incarnation of the island.

Very nice! I was actually looking for that, since I was hoping they'd include it as a reference to Knuckles's version of Sky Sanctuary.

- When Classic Eggman is revealed in the cockpit of the modified Time Eater, Classic Tails refers to him as "Dr Robotnik". Robotnik answers with the line "Nobody calls me that anymore", a reference to him embracing his alias.

It's also interesting to note that this isn't in the Japanese version. Obviously, Eggman has always been Eggman over there, so really we got ourselves an exclusive joke on that one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Knuckles' statue is based on this art from Sonic Channel:

8e22ee94.jpg

Ah! Yes! That's the one. It was pretty hard to tell because of the angle the trophy is standing.

I am going to include nods to level structure from the past game versions It skipped my mind 'cos I've been busy with a certain real character profile for Concept: "Mobius" as well.

Well, honestly, many of these things HAVE happened in past titles, too. Starting with Sonic Unleashed they started using character names on shops and street signs. This is primarily noted in Empire City; there's a "Pachacamac Hotel," for example.

Also, Chaotix ALL use instruments in Sonic Heroes as their "team blast."

Missed Flying Battery. I love the Wanted Posters, though.

IIRC, that spaceship thing or something similar to it also appears in (Classic?) Rooftop Run. I though it was probably some remaining piece of a scrapped storyline or something.

Seaside Hill classic has an underwater area with the spike bug from Sonic 1. I'm not sure if this is intentional or if it applies to all the spikes in the level, but I'm pretty sure there are spikes elsewhere where the bug isn't present.

>a positive Sonic Generations topic

I love you.

Here's one I noticed whenever Sonic ends a trick combo. He does his pose that's on the Sonic Adventure boxart.

sonic_adventure.png

Image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if Eggman still had that Dreamcast in his Eggmobile! In before the camera angle is hacked and Dreamcast 2 is confirmed!

EDIT: CURSE YOU FELIX!

The White World songs for Shadow and Silver are remixes of Throw It All Away and Dreams of an Absolution, their theme songs from their introduction games Sonic Adventure 2 and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) respectively.

Rooftop Run Act 1 starts outside dear old Professor Pickle's laboratory :P

Edited by -The Joker-

>a positive Sonic Generations topic

I love you.

Here's one I noticed whenever Sonic ends a trick combo. He does his pose that's on the Sonic Adventure boxart.

sonic_adventure.png

Image.png

Interesting fact: He actually does it in Unleashed when completing a stage. (I only noticed this after Generations though).

I've got the Amy one down, it's when she's talking to Modern Sonic;

"Wow, if you can get five Red Star Rings, I bet you can do anything!"

Rouge is drawing a blank, unless lead star rings and/or wanting Sonic's intel mean anything.

Here's something I don't think anyone has noticed yet tongue.png

300px-Sonic_generation_q342_cover2321.jpg

Look at Modern Sonic's pose here.

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Look at Sonic's pose here. Notice any... similarities? Mwahaha!

Blaze (quite grimly) talks to Sonic about missing their old adventures together outside Crisis City.

Edited by -The Joker-
  • Thumbs Up 5