Awoo.

Sonic Generations Continuity Nods and References

Vertekins

I don't know whether this is intentional or not, but Shadow gives you the fourth Chaos Emerald of the game when you first defeat him. Reminded me of a certain (in)famous line in his own game.

You know the one I mean. ;)

Edited by Special Operative Blaire
  • Thumbs Up 3

While I'm still thinking about Sky Sanctuary, in the race mission against Amy, she is capable of floating in the air and bobbing up and down with her Piko Piko Hammer. This originated from her special attack in Sonic Heroes, where she causes a whirlwind in midair, and can descend slowly back to the ground while still spinning.

The technique may have taken inspiration from Amy's Down Trick in Sonic Advance 2, as well.

This is a touch off-topic but you know what I've suddenly realised? The 3DS version has none of this kind of level of detail or references outside of the standard "this segment of the level is just like a segment from the original" stuff of course. Yet another reason it felt so bleh compared to the HD version.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's something I don't think anyone has noticed yet tongue.png

300px-Sonic_generation_q342_cover2321.jpg

Look at Modern Sonic's pose here.

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Look at Sonic's pose here. Notice any... similarities? Mwahaha!

I noticed that quite a long time ago. =P

EDIT: verte already did it

Edited by American The Assface

I've only had a brief skim though this and can't think of anything that hasn't already been said, but I've always loved these kind of interesting and positive threads, so well done on gathering all the info.

I was actually surprised by how many I managed to notice when I first played the game, since usually things fly over my head easily.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 4

Regarding the Ice Cream man being replaced by a robot.

I have a theory regarding that.

He wasn't replaced... Eggman just finally got him. Professor Pickle is next.

• Thumbs Up 5

Modern Sonic does that leg-stretch animation from Sonic Adventure 2 when you let him stand still after a while.

Also, in Silver's boss fight, one of the pieces of debris in Silver's "Meteor Smash" is a billboard for a Chao Garden.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still can't get over the almost-trollish move Sega pulled with the reference in the Vector mission. I know a few people who thought that it confirmed that Vector could still play the keyboard in the modern era, then Mario and Sonic London turned right round and said "LOL WTF he can't play a keyboard what are you on about".

Regarding the Ice Cream man being replaced by a robot.

I have a theory regarding that.

He wasn't replaced... Eggman just finally got him. Professor Pickle is next.

"Next"? Did you see any Professor Pickle in the Spagonia U library? Coz I only saw a whole pack of robots.

• Thumbs Up 7

I just keep remembering things one at a time, but whatevs.

With the exception of Crisis City, Modern Sonic starts each level from the Adventure and Modern era in the same fashion as he did in the original game:

- In Speed Highway, Sonic starts stationary in a huge skyscraper that connects to a piece of road that curves waaaay down.

- Sonic begins both City Escapes high in the air on a streetboard and can instantly collect a group of rings once he hits the road.

- Sonic dashes in the same section of Seaside Hill in Heroes and Generations, and we see it in the same perspective (moving camera viewing Sonic from a level angle) as well.

- Sonic does a few poses in the beginnings of both Rooftop Runs and Planet Wisps before speeding off and officially beginning the level.

Edited by Joshua

There are two themes for the Collection Room. One is the Door Into Summer remix as stated, the other is a Sonic 3 File Select theme remix.

In Speed Highway classic, when exploring the rooftops of buildings, The neon lights can spell out some interesting words. For example, one building has a title, but the only letters that light up are the S, O, N, I, & A which spell out Sonia. Another one spells rings. I'll try getting a screenshot of it.

Here's something I don't think anyone has noticed yet tongue.png

300px-Sonic_generation_q342_cover2321.jpg

Look at Modern Sonic's pose here.

256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

Look at Sonic's pose here. Notice any... similarities? Mwahaha!

Blaze (quite grimly) talks to Sonic about missing their old adventures together outside Crisis City.

Oh no!!! How didn't we realise that!?

Oh, I know this isn't really a continuity nod since it's just a callback (maybe?) for the same game, but I noticed the way the grass moves at the end of Classic Planet Wisp is almost exactly the same in Classic Green Hill. I always liked that in a Book Ends sort of way.

Oh, I know this isn't really a continuity nod since it's just a callback (maybe?) for the same game, but I noticed the way the grass moves at the end of Classic Planet Wisp is almost exactly the same in Classic Green Hill. I always liked that in a Book Ends sort of way.

I said this a few weeks ago :P

Speaking of all these continuity nods, anyone got the feeling Sonic Team were trolling us when they had Blaze BOTH remembering Crisis City AND having the official bio describing her as a princess from another dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of all these continuity nods, anyone got the feeling Sonic Team were trolling us when they had Blaze BOTH remembering Crisis City AND having the official bio describing her as a princess from another dimension.

Sonic Colors DS did the same thing.

I think they just like watching us squirm.

• Thumbs Up 2

Rewatching the cutscene before the Time Eater boss fight, I just noticed that Classic Eggman angrily says "Who are they?" when Shadow and Rouge appear. Just occured to me that he's likely saying this because he hasn't met those two yet in his timeframe.

I thought the background of the Death egg battle with all those ships was a reference to the tropical resort background with all those vehicles. huh.:/

Speed highways classic mission that had a morning section. Nice reference to at dawn Sega.

City escape Classics music mixing in endless mine. Wow that was awesome!

And Crisis city I think had the most trolls in the game.(considering what game it was from!tongue.png)

OH! And that Kingdom Valley reference in Classic Sky sanctuary with the stain glass place.

Edited by Riku

The bombs Rouge uses during her City Escape Mission is based on the ones she used in 06

The Knuckles mission where he helps Sonic dig for treasure seems to be based on his Treasure Hunting missions in the Adventure games

The way Amy helps Sonic navigate Chemical Plant by launching him up using her hammer is likely based on her assist move in Sonic Advance 3

The way Charmy activated various devices during his vs. mission in Rooftop Run is likely based on how he activated the flower portals in Heroes

Each of Sonic's Rivals can be found in the area above the female character most closely associated with them

Metal Sonic is above Amy

Shadow is above Rouge

Silver is above Blaze

• Thumbs Up 5

So this one was brought up in the status updates a long time ago, I have no idea if it's true or if theres any sense of reality to it.

But.... at the end of the game when Eggman says 'Maybe I'll go get my teaching degree...' This is aparently a reference to something. But I can't remember what it's a reference to, at best I can only think of Sonic's School house or maybe one of the Sega Pico games, I can't think of anything else it could be. But at the time I remember finding it funny and thinking to myself 'oh yeah, eggman was a teacher in that'

So I dunno... anyone got any ideas?

So this one was brought up in the status updates a long time ago, I have no idea if it's true or if theres any sense of reality to it.

But.... at the end of the game when Eggman says 'Maybe I'll go get my teaching degree...' This is aparently a reference to something. But I can't remember what it's a reference to, at best I can only think of Sonic's School house or maybe one of the Sega Pico games, I can't think of anything else it could be. But at the time I remember finding it funny and thinking to myself 'oh yeah, eggman was a teacher in that'

So I dunno... anyone got any ideas?

That episode of Sonic X where he tried teaching kids to worship him?