Awoo.

The arrange Classic Green Hill by ear project!

a mystery

Hi, I'm CanofNothing, and I'm currently trying to arrange Classic Green Hill's music by ear. Armed with nothing but a few mp3s, Mixcraft 6 and a few VSTs, I'm determined to make the arrangement to end all arrangements.

My current progress can be found here. I'll be updating this as I go along.

However, I'll need your help! Yes, you! From helping me a bit in the arrangement to simply leaving a kind word of support, I'll need all the help I can get.

How you can help me:

• Help with arrangement
  • Help with instruments (VSTs)
  • Supportive comment

If you'd like to help with the arrangement, here's everything that you'd need!
    The link above contains:

• mp3 files of Green Hill, Classic Green Hill and Classic Green Hill with extracted synths
    • midi file of my work in progress
    • mp3 file of my work in progress

Well, I hope you guys are interested, and I wish to hear your thoughts about this!

Edited by Can of Nothing

Permission denied (For the first link...) but ooh, you have musical talent! Good luck on this! I wish I could hear what you have though. Could ya try box.com? It's free and it gives previews too!

Okay, it's updated, I relocated both to box.com.

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

Edited by CanofNothing

Sounds nice and all! I'd say you have untapped potential! Would ya want to join the Sonic Stadium Music Album for this year? Green Hill's already done though so if ya want to do something else too, do join us! Talents always welcome.

I'm speaking on behalf of them though. :D

On topic anyways, I'd help but I'm bad at learning by ear. D:

Oh, that'd be an honor!

Thanks!

Say, know any VSTs that could emulate Classic Green Hill's synths?

Just join us over at the thread!

I don't use VSTs at the moment as I'm on Garageband but I'll be moving to FL soon. You could try out Nexus though.

If you need a VST that can emulate any sound or game from the Sega Genesis, you need VOPM. It's a free VST thats based on the YM2151 chips, (which sounds just like the YM2612, the soundchip the genesis uses) There is a video tutorial my buddy, TheLegendOfRenegade made on Youtube about VOPM and how to use it. I know of the Sega Genesis soundfont out there which is not bad, its just not completely legit and you are limited in sounds. As for your little WIP. Not bad I suppose, The MP3 is kinda in a lower quailty so I suggest getting a copy of GHZ in a better quality of sound. Are you trying to make your arrange with Genesis sounds or? Not exactly sure what you are trying to do. Anyways here is the video:

There is some stuff in the description that you are gonna need so be sure to take a look at that.

As far as VST's, here is stuff I can recommend.

• Nexus 2
  • Native Instruments Massive
  • Albino 3
  • Arturia Minimoog
  • Native Instruments FM8
  • Sylenth 1
  • Z3TA + 2
  • Sampletank 2
  • Kontakt 5
  • TAL-NoiseMaker
  • Omnisphere

Edited by Urban Flow

Urban Flow...

Wait! You did some stuff for Before the Sequel, didn't you? ...No?

...Never mind. *clears throat*

Using VOPM instead of an mp3 might be a good idea, since if so, I'll be able to adjust the volumes of each channel.

As for the rest, who are you, and what is happening to your people what are they, and what do they do?

• Thumbs Up 1

Nexus? What's that?

It's something I told Faseeh about that he hasn't even tried. Maybe let people with some experience do the recommending, eh Faseeh?

It's a VST, and VSTs work with pretty much any DAW. Nexus has a good variety of sounds and is very handy. Apparently, StereoPixel uses it for everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hi Katamari.

Hmm. Though, Nexus costs a bit... I'll have to try.

I'm about to switch to VOPM, but I really need a midi rip of Green Hill Zone. Note what I said: Rip. I'm going for absolute perfection, so I need rips.

I've updated the WIP file, btw. Nothing too special, but I changed the OGG into a MP3 so you don't have to download the file.

P.S: lol Zelda Faseeh.

Edited by CanofNothing

Nexus has a good variety of sounds and is very handy. Apparently, StereoPixel uses it for everything.

Heard it's good so might as well tell him you know? If anything, Stereo's work is proof.

Oh and Urban Flow didn't do stuff for SBtS :P

Mini update: Still need midi rip of Green Hill, though I might just settle for a StHGen (GBA) midi rip instead. I'll try that one first.

Also, I need the disco falk fake strings. I've contacted Falk, hoping he can be of assistance. Let's wait and see.

Aside from those, nothing of importance.

Mini update: Still need midi rip of Green Hill, though I might just settle for a StHGen (GBA) midi rip instead. I'll try that one first.

Also, I need the disco falk fake strings. I've contacted Falk, hoping he can be of assistance. Let's wait and see.

Aside from those, nothing of importance.

Maybe I'm blanking, but I can't think of a song where Falk used disco type strings. You could be thinking of Metro Madness, but that was done by Funk Fiction who I believe used real strings. Nexus has an expansion pack called "Dance Orchestra" which is plenty handy; I would also recommend Kontakt, as it's the most useful VST out there for realistic instrument sounds.

Edited by Natsuru Senō

Ah, sure. Waitasec, which one, Nexus 1 or 2?

By any chance, does anyone know how to rip midi files from GBA roms?

Edited by Can of Nothing

Nexus 2, that's what I use.

As for GBA roms, there's a topic over on Retro where someone ripped MIDIs from various Sonic GBA games. Other than that, I'm sure a program exists.

Ah, cool.

He didn't rip Sonic Genesis. Could you please ask him to do so? (Y'know, since I'm in purgatory Pending Approval due to my being of a complete retard back then)

EDIT: lol at your location

Edited by Can of Nothing

Can't you like use a MIDI of the original Green Hill? It's far better than the Genesis one I'm sure. I'm pretty sure they are accurate too.

Ah, cool.

He didn't rip Sonic Genesis. Could you please ask him to do so? (Y'know, since I'm in purgatory Pending Approval due to my being of a complete retard back then)

While it's good to strive for perfection, legacy gym2mid/vgm2mid converters exported poor man's copies of the tune in MIDI. I've seen some accurate ones though but unlike GBA and DS rips, you can't just edit notes into arrangement. The tracks are often out of order, redundant note and pitch events are sometimes included and it all comes to an abrupt halt where the loop point lies. The reason really that places like vgmusic and whatnot exist is to provide human versions of songs to where it's easy to use them as guides.

Genesis rips are probably best for figuring out hard to hear notes but most GYM/VGM plugins and players allow channel muting so now that's even made them obsolete for that aspect.

Personally, the only time I ever found them useful is to get the Sonic 3 credits arpeggio down properly a few years back.

Also if you're going to get into VOPM, someone over at Project 2612 converted the collection into opms a couple years back. A can't really find a link or anything though now for some reason

Here's the sonic ones from my FL folder.

Edited by Jace
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, Sonic Genesis is the GBA remake so yes, perfect ripping would be possible.

I already have the opm for Green Hill, so all I need is the midi.

Can't you like use a MIDI of the original Green Hill? It's far better than the Genesis one I'm sure. I'm pretty sure they are accurate too.

I can't. I can't seem to rip the midi, no matter how hard I try. I'm convinced the StHGenesis one is pretty honest to the original. Dunno why, but I have a feeling. Sides, I'm not using their samples.

You know what? I think I'm gonna try rip from Classic Collection. It probably won't work, but if it does... You know.

• Thumbs Up 1