Awoo.

Is Boost To Win a valid complaint?

LightGoddess

Hi everyone! I'm new around here so please try to be nice to me! Although this place is so nice I'm getting Deja Vu! It's almost like I've been to this place before because the layout is so nice! You've done a great job mods I must say :) .

Now for the point of my introductory thread: is Boost To Win a valid complaint? I often hear 'LOL SO SERIOUS' hardcore fans whine on about Boost To Win. In my opinion this is only valid if the level can actually be beaten by only holding down the Boost button. Otherwise, it seems a bit silly. I can understand why you could find Green Hill to be boost to win but the other levels in Generations? Hardly! What about the great platforming, changing direction, quickstepping and drifting. Clearly, this argument is hilariously flawed.

It's a stupid generalisation which is the issue. It would be like me saying 'LOL THE CLASSIC GAMES ARE HOLD RIGHT TO WIN'. Clearly they aren't either.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion this is only valid if the level can actually be beaten by only holding down the Boost button.

Sorry for the poor quality, the uploader was boosting while uploading this.

• Thumbs Up 7

No it's not, at all.

For Sonic games like Rush and Unleashed, maybe you can argue that, but then again both those games are built around the concept of the boost, so it's really a moot point.

But for Colors and Generations? Fuck no, not at all. The Boost in Colors is incredibly dialed back and the game focuses on the usage on power ups and platforming more than getting through the sage as fast as possible.

Generations has a more prominent boost, but the level design promotes more smart usage with it, as using it recklessly can and will get you killed more often than not.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 9

Most of the time that people say it, they are joking around.

That isn't to say that there aren't times where that is the case, but as you say it is similar to the "Hold Right to Win" thing that gets lobbied at certain games as well. In fact, one of the main problems with Unleashed's design is that it is initially built up to be that way, and then the game out of nowhere starts brutally punishing you if you keep playing it that way.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

Sorry for the poor quality, the uploader was boosting while uploading this.

The fact that you would go so far to support this accusation sickens me.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

Boost to Win is a cheap way to get S-Ranks on Every Post-Sonic 06 Sonic Game Like Unleashed, Colors, and Generations

You seem familiar...

Well... to be honest the Boost2Win argument is kinda bullshit in my opinion. Try playing any level that isn't early on in Unleashed, Colors or Generations and just boosting, you'll probably not get that far.

• Thumbs Up 3

'Boost to Win' mindlessly can also get you killed, ramming at walls and sent flying off the stage if you act so careless.

Boost to Win is a cheap way to get S-Ranks on Every Post-Sonic 06 Sonic Game Like Unleashed, Colors, and Generations

Wrong. Maybe for Generations it is since that's the only modern game where I've got all the S ranks with little effort. I got my first S rank in a daytime level in Sonic Unleashed last year after so many hours of practice, memorization and skill and the 'boost to win' doesn't work in Colors and boosting in a level alone doesn't hand you an easy S rank.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 4

The fact that you would go so far to support this accusation sickens me.

Eh? Dude just took a poor-quality video of himself beating an Unleashed level with one hand. I'm not sure how that's "so far," comrade, and I'm not sure why presenting evidence is so bad. :\

Edited by The Fifth-Rate Flareon
  • Thumbs Up 5

The only way to S rank anything in Colours is to spam the bonuses like the wisps and the red rings. If you just boost to the end, you'll be sorely lacking in points.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes.

Wrong. "Boost to win" is hyperbolic; it's shorthand for the problems the boost causes, for when people don't have the time or energy to write it all out. That the most literal and extreme interpretation isn't true doesn't mean there isn't a valid point here.

Generations still has long stretches of not doing much.

There isn't any. The platforming in Generations is boring. Sonic doesn't have any interesting platforming abilities aside from the walljump, which is clunky and limited to only specific surfaces. If there are enemies or springs nearby, the homing attack pretty much nullifies the platforming. What platforming there is, never really rises above the very simple.

How often do you have to do this, really? The modern gameplay is made to guide you along the level. The games will literally invisibly guide you around some curves (try it at the start of Dragon Road; see how far you can get without touching the control stick), when it's not using springs, dash pads, and orange/trick hoops to point you where you should be moving.

Quickstepping is a crappy move that basically exists for gameplay on par with crappy LCD games. You know the ones; where you can only move your character to one of three or so spots to dodge obstacles coming towards you?

They aren't, because they require your attention to play. The game will not do the bulk of the work for you.

- Nope!- You are wrong! Most people fling it around with the most stupidly literal meaning.- REALLY? Can you actually name any beyond Green Hill where you LITERALLY do nothing? Wrong again!- Wrong again! Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, PlanetWisp, City Escape, Speed Highway e.t.c. There is LOADS of platforming. Don't be a Classic Fanboy.- Again, like the long stretches, no evidence to backup- How judgemental!- And neither will GenerationsGet off your SEGA Genesis and wake up to the 21st Century ;)

As a hyperbole, yes.

Litterally? No.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Nope!- You are wrong! Most people fling it around with the most stupidly literal meaning.- REALLY? Can you actually name any beyond Green Hill where you LITERALLY do nothing? Wrong again!- Wrong again! Sky Sanctuary, Seaside Hill, PlanetWisp, City Escape, Speed Highway e.t.c. There is LOADS of platforming. Don't be a Classic Fanboy.- Again, like the long stretches, no evidence to backup- How judgemental!- And neither will GenerationsGet off your SEGA Genesis and wake up to the 21st Century wink.png

Not that I agree with Dio, but come on man, don't resort to the lowest common denominator for your arguments.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

First of all, welcome to the forums LightGodess!

I, too, think this argument doesn't work. Why? Because in most cases it doesn't work. Try playing Eggmanland in Unleashed with only the boost, for example. Maybe you can crictizice the boost, but certainly this argument isn't the way to do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that I agree with Dio, but come on man, don't resort to the lowest common denominator for your arguments.

Oh come on my yellow chubby friend! I was obviously poking fun!We are all good aren't we Fuzzy Man?

Eh? Dude just took a poor-quality video of himself beating an Unleashed level with one hand. I'm not sure how that's "so far," comrade, and I'm not sure why presenting evidence is so bad. :\

Congrats, you managed to get through the first full level of the game that's designed to be fairly easy. Now go do it on any of the other levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I think most people are joking. Unleashed's later levels and Generations more than prove this.

What people generally mean when they say boost to win is bad, is that the stuff you do while boosting isn't satisfying to them. I like quick-step/drift and air boost based platforming but it's not for everyone.

To be honest as a lover of Unleashed, I think its primary problem was lack of communicaiton. As Tornado says, the first levels are safe to boost on almost all the time, and then the later levels aren't. I used to argue that the later levels do NOT encourage to to boost by flashing up the X button all the time, but I can't deny by that point the player has already learned that they can boost whenever they like, and will want to continue to do so.

Congrats, you managed to get through the first full level of the game that's designed to be fairly easy. Now go do it on any of the other levels.

That's still not justifying a video response made in jest sickening you.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

THIS FORUM IS SO HARDCORE-SERIOUS NO HUMOUR.

Why don't we run around throwing pancakes at each other and drinking Milkshakes?

Boost to win doesn't necessarily mean that you can just hold boost button down and reach the goal. However, boosting does seem to solve a lot of situations with a simple press of a button. This is mostly visible in the enemies. Very rarely are they an actual threat anymore since boosting into them always seems to be the best option. Heck, they are more like bowling pins these days anyway. Remember Spinies from Sonic 2? Yeah, annoying and their shots can be difficult to avoid. Now look at them in Generations. If you just boost into them, they won't even have a chance to attack you before they get blown off.

Remember how you had to build up momentum in order to reach a top of a hill or get through a loop in the classics? What do you do these days if you don't have enough speed to get through a loop? You boost. Granted, recent games have had boost pads in front of loops to give you enough speed anyway so the boost doesn't really change that much but you get the point.

- Nope!- You are wrong! Most people fling it around with the most stupidly literal meaning.
You really should avoid telling people what they think, especially after they tell you what they think. It makes you an asshole.

Your inability to recognize hyperbole doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If you insist on taking the phrase literally, there's no point in arguing with you, as you're arguing against something that no one has ever said. And I have no interest in inserting myself into your make-believe argument.

I've done it on several. And come very close on some others.

You really should avoid telling people what they think, especially after they tell you what they think. It makes you an asshole.

Your inability to recognize hyperbole doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If you insist on taking the phrase literally, there's no point in arguing with you, as you're arguing against something that no one has ever said. And I have no interest in inserting myself into your make-believe argument.

I've done it on several. And come very close on some others.

Do you want a hug and a Milkshake?

Edited by LightGoddess

To be honest as a lover of Unleashed, I think its primary problem was lack of communicaiton. As Tornado says, the first levels are safe to boost on almost all the time, and then the later levels aren't. I used to argue that the later levels do NOT encourage to to boost by flashing up the X button all the time, but I can't deny by that point the player has already learned that they can boost whenever they like, and will want to continue to do so.

I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who played Unleashed and didn't feel particularly betrayed or something by later levels ramping up the obstacles. While it's very difficult for seasoned Sonic players to die in earlier levels, this does not mean the levels are completely without consequences that are a direct result of boosting without knowing the level layout: slowing down significantly, stopping outright, running into an enemy or spike trap, missing a collectable, missing a path. Savannah Citadel's infinitely looping section in the tree alone was more than enough to communicate the idea that "Hey, if I go too fast without foresight, I will probably suffer consequences." The fact that Arid Sands threw me into a pit when Windmill Isle didn't change this inherent message.

• Thumbs Up 2