Awoo.

What was the point of Neo Metal Sonic?

Cortez

Like seriously? I'm struggling to think of any logical reason they felt was necessary to give Metal Sonic this form in Heroes, it has absolutly zero impact on the story or the character what-so-ever, it hasn't been utilised since and if anything it just looks like a fan made attempt to give Metal Sonic a super form; the Shadow stripes, studded belt and leg cape are especially tacky.

I can't help but feel it was just an attempt to make Metal Sonic look more evil gone totally wrong.

Thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 5

From a design standpoint, I think that they wanted him to feel more intimidating. His normal form doesn't look like something that would usurp Robotnik.

It's not a good reason (the whole usurping thing is shoddy, really), but it's most likely the one they used.

Sonic Heroes wasn't exactly smart in it's story department.

And who the fuck thought it was a good idea to give Metal Sonic elf shoes?

• Thumbs Up 5

I can't help but feel it was just an attempt to make Metal Sonic look more evil
Yes, that.

Well I thought the transformation sequence was pretty cool in that he just took parts of the ships and turned into a big dragon... but it's the wrong sort of character and the whole "suddenly he morphs into a giant monster" was kind pointless tongue.png

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well back then I thought he was the coolest fucking thing ever

Can't really judge him though (well besides judging his horrible fashion statement), he was only on screen for like 5 seconds before transforming into MOTW#3.

Hey, just be thankful they actually bothered to turn him back into his normal form by the end.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can think of a few possible reasons why.

1. Past trends of having large monstrous creatures as the final boss. Probably the first game to actively invoke the 'Monster of the Week' trope.

2. To give something big enough that would require all four teams to fight and to warren a Super Sonic battle. Hell, you could argue that it'd make Metal look overpowered if it took 12 characters to beat him in just his base form.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, they basically just wanted to make a big show of Metal Sonic's return.

Too bad they forgot to invite Metal Sonic.

Beautiful!

I'm still annoyed that we never got to fight Metal Sonic in Heroes. When I saw his new form in the intro and Rail Canyon cutscene I was looking forward to seeing an awesome recreation of the Sonic CD boss fight in 3D.

Silly me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silly Grumpy. Regular old Metal Sonic would never stand a chance against THE REAL SUPERPOWER OF TEAMWORK!

Or, at least, I don't think they would have been able to think of a way to balance a boss fight considering the creative funk Sonic Team were in at the time.

Edited by Tornado

Beautiful!

I'm still annoyed that we never got to fight Metal Sonic in Heroes. When I saw his new form in the intro and Rail Canyon cutscene I was looking forward to seeing an awesome recreation of the Sonic CD boss fight in 3D.

Silly me.

Me too. It took me a while to defeat Egg Albatross as Team Dark, and it was before I was playing with Team Sonic. So it was quite shocking for me. While I thought it was Mecha Sonic :P I was still excited to face him.

Instead we jumped right into Metal Madness. Maybe the final story would have been more fun with 3 bosses and not 2. Not to mention that, if we had Neo MS as the first, it would also be more varied.

Because SONIC TEAM HAS TO JUST TAKE EVERY GODDAMN THING I LOVE AND FILL IT WITH SHIT AND PISS AND JUST SAY "HERE, WARIO, TAKE THIS, WE LOVE YOU" AND THEY JUST KICK YOU IN THE BALLS OVER AND OVER AND OVER AAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGH

Pretty much every reason possible has been stated here. They wanted MY FAVORITE FUCKING CHARACTER Metal Sonic to look like A COMPLETE GODDAMN RETARD an anime badass. You see regular Metal for 10 seconds. You never fight something even remotely similar to Metal Sonic at any point during the game.

The whole GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING point of Metal Sonic is that he's Sonic, but FUCKING bad. He's not a dragon, he's not an evil mastermind bent on taking over the planet and usurping his creator...he just wants to beat Sonic. He wants to BE Sonic. I think Sonic puts it best when he begs the question, "You think that you can beat me by turning yourself into a monster?!" No, Sonic and Metal Sonic, he cannot, because Metal's strength lies in the fact that he is Sonic. He is as fast as Sonic, as strong as Sonic, he thinks like Sonic, and he looks like Sonic.

As his name implies, he is Metal SONIC the Hedgehog. Metal in this case referring to a robot, and Sonic referring to that blue guy that runs around really fast. You'll notice that his name isn't METAL DRAGON or METAL CHAOS or METAL SHADOW. Neo Metal Sonic could've been replaced with any random sumbitch that Sonic Team wanted to use. They just painted it blue and called it Metal Sonic to get some retro appeal and nostalgia factors going. Except they fucking forgot who Metal Sonic was. (+1 Jez)

Fuck.

Edited by Mewtwo
  • Thumbs Up 7

Wasn't the game released really unfinished, like 60% complete?

I've never heard anything like this about Heroes. You may be thinking about '06.

Or NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.

Heroes was released on time and complete (well, PS2 owners may disagree). It was STH '06 that they released in a developmental stage.

Wasn't the game released really unfinished, like 60% complete?

Heroes was a finished game. Very rough around the edges (and in many cases lacking edges altogether), but complete. '06 is the only Sonic game to be released in a truly unfinished state.

And well, I guess Sonic 3 sort of counts.

Edited by Blue Blood

I always assumed it was supposed to be sort of like his super form, and to show how he was becoming more powerful by copying everyone's data. While I love his original design, I'd love to see his Neo form come back in some capacity as I always thought it was cool looking, minus the elf shoes.