Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

- "What was wrong with Chronicles can be chalked up to Bioware being unfamiliar with the DS" Oh? So that explains ear rape music, ugly visuals, screwed characterizations and just plain bad game design and battle system?

Actually, I would say that explains the battle system.

• Thumbs Up 8

Actually, I would say that explains the battle system.

I'd say it was due to Bioware wanting to make use of the main gimmick of the DS itself as they did throughout the entirety of the rest of the game rather than settling for a battle system that is much less annoying to control. And that can't exactly be chalked up to inexperience with the DS, more "Bad design choice", utilizing the touchscreen just because it's there.

Edited by Vertekins

Which...is pretty much down to inexperience with the system. There are many other games on the DS that suffer from the same root problem; and I can't very well say that Chronicles is any worse than, say, TWEWY or the first Scribblenauts in that particular regard. I have no doubt if they were given a second time around they would have fixed that up much like other developers on the system did.

Edited by Tornado

Didn't the last topic about this erupt in a flame war? whatever.

The new games are terribly written, lack basic story structuring elements, and waste time by trying to tell a story that's not there with heaps of exposition and forced humor. They do not accommodate for any character not named Sonic or Eggman, which not only justifies the critics hate for them being "useless" it makes Sonic look like some sort of holy Jesus avatar who can do no wrong, ironically giving him even less character despite the focus on him.

inb4Soniman

• Thumbs Up 4

Didn't the last topic about this erupt in a flame war? whatever.

The new games are terribly written, lack basic story structuring elements, and waste time by trying to tell a story that's not there with heaps of exposition and forced humor. They do not accommodate for any character not named Sonic or Eggman, which not only justifies the critics hate for them being "useless" it makes Sonic look like some sort of holy Jesus avatar who can do no wrong, ironically giving him even less character despite the focus on him.

inb4Soniman

Or tails.:P

"Adventure Era Eggman is best Eggman."

Sorry, but I prefer Classic-Eggman and Unleashed-onwards-Eggman (including Rush Adventure as a sort of proto-best era). SA1 may have had the suicide missile and Egg Viper, but it also introduced the dreaded monster of the week story. Not that it's the game's own fault of course, but... And yes, he did some cool things in SA2, but the reveal of him being Shadow's tool throughout the entire game sort of dampens all of that a little.

He may have been more, *ahem*, "buffoonish" in Post-Unleashed, but at least I can be happy in knowing he's not being manipulated by anyone. Even Dark Gaia smacking him away seemed more like being in an unfortunate place, and the endgame was still his own plan anyway.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 7

Another one.

- I like most characters in the series, and think that each one deserves to appear. Not necessarily in main games, but spin-offs. By that, I don't mean they should all get a game, or be playable or anything. Some cutscenes or maybe a level with them would be pretty nice. In general, I'm against the "all of Sonic's friends suck" notion.

• Thumbs Up 8

"Unleashed's plot was what Sonic needed and is better than Colors and Generations" Uhh, no. I was bored to tears during this game just like I was during Generations. At least Generations had the courtesy to keep the plot and by extension my torture to a minimum.

• Thumbs Up 2

- "SatBK is worse than '06" I think this is really a load of crap. SatBK shows no signs of being unfinished, it's not a glitchy mess and it's story isn't convoluted and poorly written instead being the exact opposite.

I'll give you the better story, but in terms of pretty much everything else, I prefer Sonic 06. Why? Because at least the ideas that were unfinished were good ideas.

Most of them, anyway.

Edited by Natsuru Senō
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll give you the better story, but in terms of pretty much everything else, I prefer Sonic 06. Why? Because at least the ideas that were unfinished were good ideas.

Most of them, anyway.

But they were unfinished. And that shoots a hole in their enjoyability.

• Thumbs Up 1

Generations Sky sanctuary really isn't that fun for me to play. I prefer most of the stages(not GH or planet wisp) over it. I mean it's gorgeous and stuff, but something about the level bores me more than the others....

But they were unfinished. And that shoots a hole in their enjoyability.

I fail to see how being finished and bad is any better.

• Thumbs Up 4

Or tails.tongue.png

He honestly doesn't do much either.

"Adventure Era Eggman is best Eggman."

Sorry, but I prefer Classic-Eggman and Unleashed-onwards-Eggman (including Rush Adventure as a sort of proto-best era). SA1 may have had the suicide missile and Egg Viper, but it also introduced the dreaded monster of the week story. Not that it's the game's own fault of course, but... And yes, he did some cool things in SA2, but the reveal of him being Shadow's tool throughout the entire game sort of dampens all of that a little.

He may have been more, *ahem*, "buffoonish" in Post-Unleashed, but at least I can be happy in knowing he's not being manipulated by anyone. Even Dark Gaia smacking him away seemed more like being in an unfortunate place, and the endgame was still his own plan anyway.

On this note:

I prefer Adventure Era Eggman. Yes, it started the dreaded "Monster of the Week betrays Eggman trend" but it's by far Eggman's best cred as a villain, his actions are by far the most threatening we've seen in the entire series, and he constantly got the jump on the heroes. The scene when he tricks Sonic & Tails with the fake emerald stands out as one of my favorite scenes in the series, Eggman borders on being a Magnificent Bastard in that game, and it was glorious.

Not that Eggman's current persona is bad, because I love how hammy, and over the top he's gotten, and he's best by far the best part of any story nowadays, but his actions just don't have much consequence anymore. Sonic hardly takes him seriously, and since he's basically the only character who matters at this point, it just makes Eggman not look like a threat. Unleashed is the closest we've seen to him matching Sonic Adventure 2 levels of badassery, but it's mitigated by two things: 1. Nobody really caring he split the earth apart, and treating it as a minor inconvience. 2. He spends the entire middle part of the game on his ass.

Now then, if you'll excuse me: *Dives into bomb shelter*

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 4

1. Sonic '06's soundtrack isn't really that great. It may sound great in comparison to...literally everything else about the game...but I'd still call it subpar considering what we normally get out of this series.

2. Nega aside, everything from Blaze's world is pretty great. Blaze is cool, Marine is fun, and Captain Whisker and his crew were more interesting Eggman counterparts than Nega has ever been. I'll be legit disappointed if we don't see more of her world, or at least the characters.

3. The werehog was one of the better ideas the series has had. The only really bad thing is that the gameplay they gave him has no business being in this series; the concept is interesting, the design is pretty great, his abilities could have been fun (if there was more platforming and far less combat, and if the jumping, swinging, and climbing were smoother), and the story actually treated it appropriately rather than trying to make it dark and angsty.

...like what?
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'm... not really seeing how most of the concepts in STH '06 would have been any better had the game actually been finished. Any specific examples?

• Thumbs Up 4

Well since you're asking for it... :/

You know you were gonna give it...

Secret Rings had a well written Sonic and a really emotional relationship between Shara and Erazor, not to mention the touching development between Sonic and Shara.Black Knight's focus is Merlina and her tragic s, not to mention the relationship between Sonic and Caliburn is really entertaining.

I won't deny this, but I was mainly referring to the mainstream games, ya know the ones that usually get the major attention.

Unleashed had a great beginning and ending, but nothing in the middle, but that was made up for the diverse hub worlds and all the colorful characters each with their own side stories that gave the world life. Plus it was also cool to see the expanded history on the Chaos Emeralds.

True, but I'm mainly talking about story here.

Sonic Colors' focus on humor was due to the angle of trying to not have a Sonic plot where the fate of existence was in the balance, it's just a Sonic/Tails story with a simple plot to stop Eggman's latest shenanigans, and having some laughs along the way, and I really appreciate it for that.

I never said the plot itself was bad, but how it was presented. I liked it for it's simplicity too, but I don't think asking for proper storytelling instead of "translator jokes" and "BBBE" is too much to ask for.

This is one I actually agree with. I hate Sonic and the Black Knight. It's probably my least favorite Sonic game, and one of the worst games I personally have played. Despite that, I'm able to give credit where credit is due. I think it beats '06 in almost every aspect... but I really have to say, I would rather play '06 any day. As broken and embarrassing as that game is, at least it plays like a Sonic game... for the most part. It tried to build upon the foundation that Sonic Adventure had set. It ended up being a train wreck and is unpolished as all hell, but the core gameplay somewhat felt like Sonic at the time. Black Knight? You hold forward the entire time and wag the Wii remote. I'm sorry, but that's not fun in the slightest. It's just mindless garbage in my opinion. Black Knight is definitely a more polished game, and like I said, it beats '06 in almost every aspect, but it falls short in the biggest category for me, and that's the gameplay. Seriously, I think it's horrendous. I played two or three levels of Black Knight and couldn't finish it. Under normal circumstances, that may seem like it's unfair to judge it, as I'm not "giving it a chance"... but my main gripe was with the core gameplay. Just by playing one level, you can get the idea of what the game is, and I couldn't stand it.

Exactly. I can understand the gameplay not even coming close to meeting expectations and being a bore and the game being considered bad because of that but it cannot be denied that it's a more all-round polished experience than '06.

I love it when I come across someone who can take objective stances on things :D I like the Storybook games but I'm not going to sit back and completely deny that they have some big problems.

• Thumbs Up 1