Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Mephiles loves being complex for giggles.

That's the only possible explanation I have. If that's not it, then I'm stumped.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may not be saying Sonic 06 is technically good, but you're holding it up as something that you'd rather have over the likes of Colors and Lost Worlds despite all of the problems 06 has with its narrative. Meanwhile, other titles preceeding 06 will get your point across without people thinking you're saying it out of spite, because few people associate Sonic 06 with anything preferable for this series, much less one that has had an identity crisis starting around that period.

Uh, I think you missed the start of the conversation. Shadow and '06 are being used because those were the examples Komodin used when he said he preferred P&G's writing. It's not being vindictive, it's following the thread of thought in the conversation from the start.

Mephiles loves being complex for giggles.

That's the only possible explanation I have. If that's not it, then I'm stumped.

Or the event where Solaris was torn apart into Iblis and Mephiles traumatized Mephiles so badly that he effectively went crazy, resulting in plans that made no sense to anyone except him. And the reason why time travel makes no sense in 06 is because Solaris' primary power is total control over time and space, thus meaning it can effectively change the rules of time travel to suit its whims. Combined with the crazy part = convoluted nonsense.

Uh, I think you missed the start of the conversation. Shadow and '06 are being used because those were the examples Komodin used when he said he preferred P&G's writing. It's not being vindictive, it's following the thread of thought in the conversation from the start.

With that said, allow me to make a clarification. The reason why I used two games is because they are, as we certainly know by heart at this point, some of the more poorly received games in the series, especially when it comes to the story and writing. I may have screwed over my own argument with that aside-ish comparison, my general point is that I think some anti-fans are selling Pontac and Graff's Sonic work a fair bit short.

That's it, really. I didn't intend any malice on my part and I deeply apologize if it came off that way.

No, I was there at the start. I didn't think it was anything major until it started going into the quality of the writing that we've progressed into, and it was there when I said it makes me think prefering Sonic 06 at least was done out of spite in regards to its writing.

It doesn't really help that I've been seeing this general attitude towards P+G all around tho. But even then, what I was mostly asking was if P+G held that much responsibility over the direction of things, and that it seems spiteful for people to compare and support Sonic 06 of all games to their work on the franchise.

Another potentially unpopular opinion. While I'm iffy about demoting ALL the secondary characters, I prefer using the limited cast setup (ie. Sonic vs Eggman with the odd other character on either side). Next Gen's problem may have been less it's use of other characters but trying to shove all of them in at once, not having nearly enough time to develop and utilise them properly and most of them being irrelevant to the story.

This is perhaps one of the better points of the P+G games, there's two duds for every gem, but since they don't overfill the cast, nearly everyone on there gets a fair opportunity for character display. Only Knuckles and Amy got the shaft in Lost World.

The only thing now is they need to rotate the cast a bit more so others get their turn. I'd love to see a game Sonic is paired with Knuckles or Blaze for example, and focus on their chemistry, rather than little tidbits in a mass rotation.

The bigger question is whether the higher ups will let them do that. They've said they're interested in using the others, but they've yet to do so, so it doesn't exactly seem like they're being given the chance.

Depends if they think a certain character sells, just as they thought having no characters sells. Boom I suppose might help in Knuckles and Amy's case.

On another note, I actually think AoSth had the best animation out of any Sonic cartoon, if largely because I side with the theory 'draw expressive, not good'. Not to mention so much of the humour managed to come from the animation itself, and, no, not just cases it was laughably bad.

So... Like...

I'm sure that this is worthy of getting crucified in the Sonic fandom, and I'll lose pretty much what little street cred I have, but I'm honestly not a big fan of Richard Jacque's music. This is somewhat ironic, given how much I love Sonic Adventure's soundtrack, which is chock full of references and remix's to music from Sonic 3D, but I have to admit that when it comes to what Richard actually compose I'm very... Eh.

I think it's a product of me being someone who grew up with the Adventure games. I feel like I can get into Jun making an electric guitar sing like a bluebird more than I can with the poppy-synthy tunes of the older games, with Sonic 3 being a notable exception (probably because it sounds the most rock-like out of all of them?). I think the only soundtrack that heavily uses synthesizers that I actually enjoy is pretty much Colors, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with Colors also heavily relying on more "traditional" instruments.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... Like...

I'm sure that this is worthy of getting crucified in the Sonic fandom, and I'll lose pretty much what little street cred I have, but I'm honestly not a big fan of Richard Jacque's music. This is somewhat ironic, given how much I love Sonic Adventure's soundtrack, which is chock full of references and remix's to music from Sonic 3D, but I have to admit that when it comes to what Richard actually compose I'm very... Eh.

It's been a fair while since I've listened to Sonic Adventure's soundtrack, but I'm pretty certain that's not ironic at all, since it's music from 3D Blast's Genesis soundtrack that was remixed in Adventure, not the Saturn one that Jaques composed.

That being said, I agree, I'm not a big fan of Jaques either. 3D Blast Saturn, with the exception of the Special Stage theme that I love, sounds like bland music that can be applied to any number of video games that aren't Sonic. He also did Boom, which reinforces what I think of his unmemorable music (the main theme is terrible, whereas the rest is completely unremarkable.) 

I did think he did a bang up job on Sonic R and ASRT, both of which had very solid music to me. However, the former mainly stems from TJ Davis' vocals, and the latter for being awesome remixes of already existing songs. I think he's a competent composer, but his original music never really appealed to me, with some exceptions here and there.

Depends if they think a certain character sells, just as they thought having no characters sells. Boom I suppose might help in Knuckles and Amy's case.

Well their marketing had some fuck ups, so I'm not entirely sure how they can tell whether something can sell or not.

A lot of the time it's just they overestimate it. Like a 'You like this, so we'll give you nothing BUT this from now on' theory.

This is another weird one, but I consider Lost World's aesthetic to be a bit jarring to me. I think it's because I was so accustomed to seeing Modern Sonic in more grounded and heavily detailed environments that seeing him placed in something that's clearly TRYING to look like Sonic 1 feels off. Especially given how it honestly doesn't look like Sonic 1 all that much in my opinion. I think it also boils down to me being dissapointed after coming off the visually spectacular Sonic Colors.

People often say the water levels are the worst levels in Sonic games, but other than arguably Labyrinth and some of the Game Gear ones (Blue Marine is terrible), I actually really like most of them. Aquatic Ruin, Hydrocity, Aquarium Park (even in the DS version, I think the DS Aquarium Park is the best level in Colours DS), Ice Mountain, Twinkle Snow, Water Palace, Pirates' Island, Coral Cave, Generations Chemical Plant, Sylvania Castle, even White Park Act 3, I think they're really enjoyable.

I will say Marina Madness probably would have been a lot less bland if it actually had water in it.

People often say the water levels are the worst levels in Sonic games, but other than arguably Labyrinth and some of the Game Gear ones (Blue Marine is terrible), I actually really like most of them. Aquatic Ruin, Hydrocity, Aquarium Park (even in the DS version, I think the DS Aquarium Park is the best level in Colours DS), Ice Mountain, Twinkle Snow, Water Palace, Pirates' Island, Coral Cave, Generations Chemical Plant, Sylvania Castle, even White Park Act 3, I think they're really enjoyable.

People have problems with water levels in video games in general.  That ain't exactly Sonic-exclusive.

That being said, those levels you mentioned, I like them too.  A lot people do.  Why? Because Sonic is speed-based platfomer.  This allows Sonic to have some the best water levels in video games.  That's my opinion anyway.

The remixes in Mario and Sonic are cool and everything, but I think the original songs are even better, in the portable versions no less. I'd love to see whoever composed the DS games do a soundtrack for a full on Sonic game.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh geez, Sonic 3D Blast.

On the popular side, this game is definitely bad in some huge ways - it gets tedious very quickly, the way Sonic controls can be quite a pain, etc. But on the unpopular side, I can't bring myself to dislike it! For short bursts, it really is really fun! And even in the midst of being frustrating and irritating, the fun doesn't wear off 100%. It doesn't hurt that I have a huge weakness to the musical score, and I enjoy the visuals too.

Ugh, Sonic 3D Blast...why must you hurt me so, by endearing me and then abrading me with tedium? And yet I keep coming back for more...

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch

I had a more enjoyable time with Sonic And The Secret Ring's Party Mode than the actual game itself.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never found Sonic and the Secret Rings' controls to be bad. Sure, they were by no means perfect, but I still found them functional enough for the most part.

I also consider Secret Rings to be the better of the two Storybook games.

Yet I despise Sonic Riders' controls to the point that they completely ruin the game for me. My preferences are...odd.

The controls aren't my biggest problem, it's just that the missions (which are mandatory to do) don't feel designed after those controls. Collect 100 rings? Sure. Don't smash a vase? OK, I hope there's still room for me to avoid those jars with these flawed controls and OH GOSH, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

I enjoyed Riders, never played Zero Gravity and Free Riders.... Let's just say I never even made it past the tutorial.

(And from that day forward, the Kinect became nothing more than a black dust collector.)

But hey, if you enjoyed Secret Rings, more power to you SurrealBrain. I'll just sit here and enjoy the soundtrack.

I might've already mentioned this (can't remember) but I seem to love Sonic 1 for most of the reasons a lot of people don't. I actually like all the platforming sections and don't mind taking my time and going slow. What I like most about the game is that it taught me more than any other Sonic game how important rolling into a ball is and using your momentum to help you succeed. It felt like a platformer where you played as a pinball that could walk/run. But it seems like as the series went on, they gradually focused more and more on speed and kinda ditched the rolling pinball mechanic of Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Despite a LOT of people saying that Sonic 06 has an amazing soundtrack and it's the best part of the game, I'm one of the few that think it's only alright. There are some stand out tracks like Solaris Phase 2, End of the World and Kingdom Valley but other than that they're just there. Some of them don't even sound like Sonic music! I was also not a big big fan of the vocal songs, Dream of an Absolution being the only one I really enjoyed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Sonic '06's soundtrack was generally a little too ambient (?) for my tastes. I tend to prefer more energetic tracks like Metal Harbor or Dragon's Lair. I did like the vocal themes though, or at least His World, All Hail Shadow, and Dream of an Absolution. I'll pass on that other one which I'm blanking on the name of right now, Elise's theme, I think.

The song is called My Destiny, Bowbowis.

As for me, the guy with the most unpopular Sonic opinions in terms of games anyway. Time for me to drop another opinion bomb.

While I still prefer playing the 3DS version, Lost World U is still a pretty good game.

While I can understand that the game tries to do different things and weren't implemented well, I still had a good time playing it.

It might not be that great as a Sonic game but hey, neither was Colors and most people liked that game. I will say that Lost World might actually be more interesting to play than Colors since it tries different things and the platforming isn't as slow-paced.