Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

And I've played SA2, Sonic Battle, sonic riders, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, as well as games where he played minor roles (Sonic Unleashed

I'm gonna stop you right there. Shadow was in Sonic Unleashed a grand total of zero times.

• Thumbs Up 5

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm gonna stop you right there. Shadow was in Sonic Unleashed a grand total of zero times.

Maybe they meant to say Colors DS?

That's a pretty big typo to misspell "Colors DS" as "Unleashed".

I love Big the Cat and his fishing levels. He is my 8th favorite and he has such a cute design and I love him and Froggy. His fishing levels are not hard. It was different but I had fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad Yuji Naka left Sega. I couldn't stand more non-stop dash panels and ultra realistic environments (If he was responsible for those).

That wasn't really his fault...and "Non-Stop" Dash pads are still here in case you didn't notice.

I'm glad Yuji Naka left Sega. I couldn't stand more non-stop dash panels and ultra realistic environments (If he was responsible for those).

For much of Sonic's lifespan following the Dreamcast era, I'm pretty sure Yuji Naka had very little influence on the Sonic series as a whole.  I think he'd made it clear long before left that he'd plans to leave Sega to start his own studio, anyway.  Also, the dash pads are still a pretty relevant feature in Sonic games, even more so now than previously since we no longer have the luxury of free-roaming outside of the claustrophobic trails that you're forced to speed run on.

• Thumbs Up 1

The dash pads were far more useful in the boost series, for the simple reason that the gameplay was built around reaching the goal as fast as you can. The dash pads not only speed you up, they occasionally send you running in the correct direction and assisting you in passing through loops, and such. In the free-roaming, open-world Adventure series, they were probably there to give you a helping hand through the areas that would be tedious to run through without them. Still... slightly overdone.

And 06 probably has them because it would be as slow as shit otherwise.

Well then.

I also think Sonic in 3D should really benefit on rolling and pinball physics. Why is this an unpopular opinion? Marble Madness 3D and Trackmania's loops prove that it can definitely work!

Speed Boosters are there to give you a sense of Direction in the 3D games...not only that but also serves to give you start up speed after coming from a slower section or a complete stop in both 2D and 3D games, that's their actual purpose.

Un/popular thought: I kinda want two things from Metal Gear Rising (aside from one of my favorite game soundtracks ever) to possibly be applied to Sonic games: More crazy awesome stuff and cutscene/gameplay integration.

For the former, it is a little hard to explain what exactly is crazy awesome, since MGR is pretty much crazy awesome incarnate, but the latter is basically making it so that the story stuff connects to the stuff that occurs in the game, such as specific game mechanics or level design and stuff, regardless how out of left field said elements can be at times. A common thing I hear about the reveal of Jack the Ripper mode was how out of left field it was considering it wasn't really hinted at earlier, but frankly I feel it at least gave a reason for the ability to exist. Or a better example like how the first time you got Jetstream Sam's sword for the final boss due to the narrative (at least until you unlock it permanently). I kinda feel this kind of stuff doesn't really happen as often in Sonic nowadays, or it ends too abruptly before anything of note can come out of it.

Un/popular thought: I kinda want two things from Metal Gear Rising (aside from one of my favorite game soundtracks ever) to possibly be applied to Sonic games: More crazy awesome stuff and cutscene/gameplay integration.

For the former, it is a little hard to explain what exactly is crazy awesome, since MGR is pretty much crazy awesome incarnate, but the latter is basically making it so that the story stuff connects to the stuff that occurs in the game, such as specific game mechanics or level design and stuff, regardless how out of left field said elements can be at times. A common thing I hear about the reveal of Jack the Ripper mode was how out of left field it was considering it wasn't really hinted at earlier, but frankly I feel it at least gave a reason for the ability to exist. Or a better example like how the first time you got Jetstream Sam's sword for the final boss due to the narrative (at least until you unlock it permanently). I kinda feel this kind of stuff doesn't really happen as often in Sonic nowadays, or it ends too abruptly before anything of note can come out of it.

Cutscene and gameplay integration is difficult to implement in Sonic considering the stages have to be replayable outside the story mode to allow for time trials, score runs etc. You could do this by having cutscenes trigger right at the end of the level in story mode, but not in trial. But I imagine that's not the sort of integration you're looking for, nor is it too different from what we have now.

I think Sonic Adventure 2 has already proved Sonic can work with it.

Yeah, SA2 is probably is probably the best example of cutscene/gameplay integration in the series since most levels featured a short dialogue beforehand that explained the level's context in a way. I think the most notable example would be the beginning of Green Forest in which Sonic hears Eggman's transmission to Shadow and then tells himself that he needs to find Tails and Amy. That, along with the time limit, gave the player a clear sense of urgency and why they needed to get through the level.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure Heroes did this before most of the levels as well. I honestly like this sort of integration because it helps the levels to feel more connected and purposeful to me as opposed to just a series of random Acts.

Unpopular Opinion: I really don't think Sonic Advance 2 is a bad game, in fact it's my favorite out of all the Advance games. I mean I know it's a game with a lot of hold right to win and bottomless pits up the ass, not to much a stupid as hell way to get to the special stages (seriously fuck those special rings). But I really do like the boost mechanic it has. How you have to build up your speed in order to boost just felt satisfying and much better then just pressing a button to do all the work for you. You had to work for your speed instead of the game just handing it to you unlike later games (Unleashed, Colors and Generations) if they ever bring back the boost i hope they do it the way Advance 2 did it. Plus the level tropes in Advance 2 were unique and different from other Sonic games (Music Plant man Music Plant!) and let's not forget that the soundtrack it was amazing.

Probably asking for trouble even mentioning this, but I think the sonic storyline is a total mess. Any conversation where people try to make sense of the sonic storyline sorta annoys me. While I'll admit I'm not as up to date as I used to be, last time I checked there was about what... 8 different versions of the sonic storyline? (4 cartoons, 2 comics, 2d games and the 3D games) it's one of the most inconsistent storylines out there I can think of so imo unless you lay down ground rules of which source(s) you're talking about it's pretty much impossible to make sense of the franchises Lore.

Sonic games are at their best when they're not bogged down in the story, firstly for reasons I just said, and second because ever since the dreamcast the series has danced in this awkward place of trying to be hardcore and cool but also kid friendly.

Probably asking for trouble even mentioning this, but I think the sonic storyline is a total mess. Any conversation where people try to make sense of the sonic storyline sorta annoys me. While I'll admit I'm not as up to date as I used to be, last time I checked there was about what... 8 different versions of the sonic storyline? (4 cartoons, 2 comics, 2d games and the 3D games) it's one of the most inconsistent storylines out there I can think of so imo unless you lay down ground rules of which source(s) you're talking about it's pretty much impossible to make sense of the franchises Lore.

Sonic games are at their best when they're not bogged down in the story, firstly for reasons I just said, and second because ever since the dreamcast the series has danced in this awkward place of trying to be hardcore and cool but also kid friendly.

Not to say you're incorrect, because you're absolutely right in some regards, but each iteration of Sonic from TV shows, games, comics, and alike are their own thing.  They can't be blamed for the entire franchise's writing, only for their own.  There's no reason to lay any firm ground rules (although I think having a world bible would definitely be beneficial) because those iterations are their own thing and not an attempt to tell the same tale.  Overall, I'd take that kind of mess over the TMNT's route of constantly repeating the origin story very single time a new series is introduced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: Many people are having fears that Sonic Boom, when it finally rears it's head, will end up being a reboot of the series. I might had been bothered about this idea before, but nowadays I'm wouldn't be against the idea of a reboot at all, if only out of complete apathy.

I think the current state of the franchise, starting with Colors, has outright performed broad strokes, retconned, or ignored so many former (staple) elements of the series (in terms of tone, writing, characterization, gameplay elements, etc.) in favor of focusing on such a narrow selection of all of these elements that are currently applied to the games, that I don't really see the point of hoping that, asking for, or arguing why or how the current people in charge could/should resurrect or revive them into the current state of things, as from the looks of it neither the current writers, Sonic Team, Dimps, or Sega have any interest in returning to them (or as a lot of people would like to say, "fix" them back to said era). I think Lost World in particular might actually be the next giant step in making the series as it is overall closer to it's current tone, whatnot with the Mario influences and the shift in musical tone and artstyle.

And overall, it's admittedly starting to make me finally lose interest in the series. Lost World did at least try to shake things up, but falling flat on it's face executing them well or in a unique manner didn't help matters.

All of the above however is not to say that I think a reboot would change all of this, in fact I bet a reboot (especially considering the overall direction Sonic Boom in taking in direct comparison with the direction of the current games) would be the point that the modification of the entire series into it's current mold would have finally come to a head.

Popular, After all this time, Cream should be considered apart of the main group.

I like Lost World's parkour system. I think we've gotten to the point where that's an unpopular opinion. It's not perfect, but it's not terrible.

I prefer Sonic's world featuring more realistic-looking humans over the unpleasantly warped cartoon versions from Unleashed, sans Professor Pickle.

I prefer Sonic's world featuring more realistic-looking humans over the unpleasantly warped cartoon versions from Unleashed, sans Professor Pickle.

I don't mean to come across as being a badgerer, but why do you think this? I mean, the way I see it, the Unleashed design of the human populace is the best they've ever looked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe they shouldn't look so cartoony Pixar-ish, but realistic isn't really gonna mesh well next to the cartoony anthro-animals that the Sonic characters are.

Popular, After all this time, Cream should be considered apart of the main group.

She's does nothing of importance to earn this status. :\