Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I disagree. Tails was treated with the most respect out of all the characters.  He went from scardy cat who freezes in fear to someone who is confident in who he is and is not afraid to show it. Tails was bullyed for being smart and his two tails but Sonic changed his life. He can beat up McNosehair and do it with a snarky attidude. I dont want him to be like Sonic but he has the most growth of the whole cast. Hes the golden child.

And I like the current Tails. ;p

It's nice and all, but it's been years since he fought Eggman(or did anything valuable). Last time he faced him is Sonic Heroes with Sonic and Knuckles, and since then, he's following Sonic all the damn time. He's not fighting or does anything useful thing anymore. He only flies his or Sonic's plane and blatantly showing off his high intelligence but does nothing to support Sonic at the very least when the situation becomes heated. Not only that, but he's insanely boring now to the point where he lost his identity and a rock have more depth in it than Tails have.

But I didn't joined here to make you hate a character, if you like the current Tails, then it's perfectly fine with me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My problem with Tails is he's one of those examples of when writers treat 'character development' on par with 'diluting the character and taking away all their flaws'. Most of Tails' 3D appearances bore me, he's nothing like the cute bubbly kid we saw in the cartoons and merchandise, he's like this boring old man only there for the odd tool and exposition. Even the odd times they tried to make him childlike again it didn't do much because there was still no dynamic and chemistry to him outside 'Yeah, go Sonic!'. It got to the point that even his voice actresses started to sound completely unenthusiastic since there's so little personality to give to him.

Lost World I feel helped him a little, balancing his tech smarts with more bratty impulses and having him joining in on Sonic's playfulness, sort like his OVA version, but he still feels a tad empty.

Sonic medias have a bad reputation with 'smart' characters, often because they have a hard time distinguishing what intellect the character has. Apparently you're intellectual in one area, you are in them all, and thus an infallible and highly wisdomic straight man and swiss army knife. Sally started off smart but pompous and neurotic, but eventually just all around smart and gifted. Rotor's dorkiness lasted even less, he had about two or three moments in both the cartoons and comics he had much of a personality. From what I remember Rouge and Wave get more generic with each game as well. Place most of these characters next to each other and there's not much of a distinction. At least characters that end up 'stupid' have some sort of flaw to make them semi endearing.

... who GETS FUCKING OWNED BY A BUZZ BOMBER.

I want the old Tails back who could wreck shit up without Sonic and couldn't get hurt by some flying toy with a laser, not this wimp we have now.

I could load up Sonic 2 right now and get Tails killed by a little flying toy, y'know.

There are fair criticisms to make about how Tails has been used and portrayed, but "is not a nigh-invulnerable whirlwind of robot destruction" is not one of them.

...Except that no one's making Tails out to be a "nigh-invulnerable whirlwind of robot destruction" and a CPU-controlled character with primitive AI is not a true representation of a character's inherent ability. By that logic, we could say that all of the amigo characters in '06 are completely brainless idiots considering they have poor AI.

• Thumbs Up 3

...Except that no one's making Tails out to be a "nigh-invulnerable whirlwind of robot destruction"

It's hyperbole, but not much if the problem is that Tails is capable of being hurt by enemy attacks.

and a CPU-controlled character with primitive AI is not a true representation of a character's inherent ability.

I meant switching to Tails only mode and letting him get shot, but my point stands in either case: Tails is capable of taking damage from badnik attacks, always has been, always will be, and it's not a betrayal of the character to have him take a hit once.

I like current Tails' snarky personality, and feel he is less let down by writing him as a snarker than he is the fact that he is being written into scenarios that aren't supported by gameplay. Tails' physical prowess was on full display because, well, he was a part of the gameplay which requires you to be destroying bots, traversing large landscapes, and other things. Now he isn't even following Sonic in the gameplay anymore. Praytell what are the writers supposed to do in order to make him supportive?

Tails is capable of taking damage from badnik attacks, always has been, always will be, and it's not a betrayal of the character to have him take a hit once.

Exactly, the betrayal of his character is that Tails can no longer hold his own in a fight. Before he got shot, what was Tails doing? Hiding behind a rock, even though he should be used to fighting off badniks by now.

While I would like to see Tails on the front lines more often, I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that he needs to be out there fighting robots to validate his character.

Also note that in that instance "not fighting" was the correct choice and even Sonic had to retreat by the end of it.

Exactly, the betrayal of his character is that Tails can no longer hold his own in a fight. Before he got shot, what was Tails doing? Hiding behind a rock, even though he should be used to fighting off badniks by now.

Wait, wasn't the reason Tails was behind that rock in the first place was because he was trying to assess the situation between Eggman and the Deadly six, and then Sonic recklessly jumped in before he was finished? And as for the fighting thing, if we are using gameplay elements as proof of stuff, recall that there were at least somewhere between 1-2 dozen badniks out at the same time, with anywhere between several dozen to hundreds of badniks potentially in the background. Tails, even when he was fighting alongside his friends, has only ever been seen taking out somewhere between 3 - 6 opponents at once, and many times was either in his mech (SA2) or with other people to help him fight. With those odds in mind, it would stand to reason he wouldn't be stupid (or cocky enough, in Sonic's case since he has been seen decimating hundreds of mechs before) to attempt anything as foolhardy as fighting hundreds of enemies at once. If you are talking about other instances...then meh. I don't remember what they were, so I'm staying out of those.

Ah, but remember: he was hiding behind that part of the wall because he and Sonic were supposed to spying on Eggman and the Zeti before The Blue Blur went all Leeroy Jenkins and messed everything up.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not like everything went to hell immediately and he had no time to react, and covert operations tend to go out the window when everything is blowing up around you. Forget even fighting too; Tails didn't even seem to be paying attention when he got shot. I know I personally would've gotten a little ways out of the area whilst paying attention to Sonic and the rest of the action to see if I was needed, not hiding behind a tiny piece of rubble of tenuous protective properties.

Tails in Lost World was one of those characters that I really wanted to bitchslap. Talk about change... he went from being a brave little boy, standing up to the likes of Eggman and the giant Egg Walker to being a bratty teen in a 8-year-old's body. Not only is he a brat, but he's cocky and arrogant (I can make a super computer with laundry detergant! hur hur). The worst part was when he jumps in when Sonic treats Eggman like a schoolyard bully would do fresh meat. Tails would never do that. He hates Eggman, yes, but he would never bully him, especially since Tails was bullied himself.

The only thing I found kinda insufferable about Tails in Lost World is that he perhaps leaned a bit too much into 'Rightly Self Righteous' territory, looking his nose down Eggman and Sonic a little and eventually being proven completely right and having to clear everything up (though he did get a bit of humbling in his cutscene with Crab-cubot), however so long as they don't make an ever recurring habit of playing him like this against Sonic like they did with characters such as Sally in the cartoons and comics, I don't think he's gonna get that bad.

On note of the above post, I never really got the recurring complaint of Sonic 'bullying' Eggman. Bullying generally refers to picking on someone who can't fight back. While Sonic maybe undermines Eggman's menace, he still is perfectly intent on killing Sonic and is the one that challenges him to his death. Even in terms of banter, Sonic is the more defensive character, and Eggman is perfectly capable of dishing back threats and insults a plenty, and in far less playful a manner than Sonic. Note this is coming from a guy who is actually usually hyper sensitive about 'bullying' in characterization, even against villains, however, while smarmy heroes can get insufferable, I think there's a difference between one that's a bit too smug but still defending themselves against a villain and one that's just outright 'bullying' a harmless nuisance. The DiC versions of Sonic arguably came closer to having shades of 'bullying' than the games ones, if largely because they were pitted more often against Robotnik's meeker and less competent (albeit still perfectly nasty) mooks.

I guess it stems from the idea that Eggman is no longer a threat. Remember back in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 when he was a valid threat? And in some others like Sonic Unleashed. But onward, Eggman is loosing his grip. Now he's reduced to just some egg-shaped villian that gets easily beat by a Mary Sue hedgehog and his self-righteous buddy.

I kinda feel Eggman is a goofball not taken seriously, but still dangerous. Sonic's just kinda the guy who doesn't take anything seriously. I think it may also come down to personality. Even at his most pathetic, Eggman is still your typical gloating jerk villain, laughing in Sonic's face confident he'll crush him like a bug.

It's sorta like how they handled Looney Tunes villains. Friz Freleng didn't like Elmer Fudd because he was meek, childlike and gleefully dumb, he could barely even pose threat in a potential sense so Bugs ended up looking like a disproportionate bully against him. In answer to this he made Yosemite Sam, who was just as hopeless against Bugs, but violent, arrogant and sadistic, and thus you'd want to see Bugs take him down a peg.

In terms of character, I'd say Eggman is closer to Sam than Elmer.

As said while I'm hyper sensitive to bullying, I think there are only a handful of cases in media I've genuinely thought the hero was reduced to one, rather than being a genuinely defensive character that was just kinda too smug and invulnerable to really be that sympathetic. Most villains in the case of the latter are the underdog, but still the nastier, provocative character that wouldn't be nearly as likable if the hero didn't do their thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here, I have to say it.

Why is the majority only look at the first cutscenes and ignore the fact that Tails gets better by the end of the game?

He outsmarts the Zetis, he gets a weapon (okay his aiming sucks but hey he managed to scare them), and when Sonic apologise he accepts withouth adding snarky craps (which, considered his "you think?" in Desert Ruins, it's a HUUUUUUUGE amendment)

Now for my unpopular opinion:

it makes perfect sense that Tails despises Eggman. I mean, the doctor threatened his, Sonic's and many more lives so many times, he tortured innocent Wisps to make his Unamusement Park work, as for today he still enslaves little critters to make his robots work,..

I don't get why is Tails supposed to respect a man like this, seriously sad.png

I do acknowledge that Tails got better as the game progressed. I wasn't saying he was a bad character and his hatred for Eggman is completely justified.

Even though with outsmarting the Zeti, that was a classic deux-ex-machina sequence in my opinion. But it was the best I've seen for far.

Here, I have to say it.

Why is the majority only look at the first cutscenes and ignore the fact that Tails gets better by the end of the game?

He outsmarts the Zetis, he gets a weapon (okay his aiming sucks but hey he managed to scare them), and when Sonic apologise he accepts withouth adding snarky craps (which, considered his "you think?" in Desert Ruins, it's a HUUUUUUUGE amendment)

Now for my unpopular opinion:

it makes perfect sense that Tails despises Eggman. I mean, the doctor threatened his, Sonic's and many more lives so many times, he tortured innocent Wisps to make his Unamusement Park work, as for today he still enslaves little critters to make his robots work,..

I don't get why is Tails supposed to respect a man like this, seriously sad.png

I think you're missing people's complaints. Despite Tails' behavior towards Sonic, he is never forced to apologize. Not even a friendly "sorry for acting like a jerk." Everything he does in the game aside from messing with Cubot is either perfectly in the right or is a deus ex machina for solving the current issue. Of course he's right for turning on his now-hesitant best friend without much warning, of course he manages to stop the machine from transforming him into a robot servant with a toothpick because apparently Eggman's machines are just that shitty that they can be reprogrammed as such, of course seven villains didn't notice he stopped the machine in the whole time it took for Sonic to make his way to Lava Mountain, and of course Eggman was unnecessary the whole time. Tails pretty much knew everything in that game, and in turn Sonic took a beating supposedly under the guise of making him less perfect and learned a lesson that arguably didn't need to be learned due what we know about him and his relationship with Tails from the past twenty-something years.

Also, Sonic doesn't respect Eggman either, at least as an actual partner. His team-up was begrudging, but it was implied that everyone was going to go through with it for the sake of the world not ending- something they've done on at least four occasions in the past- and this was done after Sonic's protest and idea on how to handle the situation was shot down by everyone, including Tails.

Tails would never do that. He hates Eggman, yes, but he would never bully him, especially since Tails was bullied himself.

Bullying =/= Snarking and/or mocking someone who's tried countless times to kill you, strip your life of self-control, seal your soul into a robotic shell, endanger your friends, warp your usual agile form into a tankish, much slower moving furry mass, nearly taken over the world, send you into a space vaccum, pummel you with a Time Eater, force the wrath of Scrapbrain Zone, Metropolis Zone and Eggmanland, kamikaze attack you, fire missiles at cities, warping reality,duplicating you thus violating your person, kidnapping and brainwashing your friends for some Pinball Party scheme, wields a severe lack of remorse, etc... oh and who created this asshole tooSonic_3_-_Barrel.PNG.dry.png

Needless to say, regardless of his faults, Sonic and Tails are way too justified in mocking Eggman to legitimately be called "bullies" in this situation. Hell, Eggman's actions in Lost World preceding the Deadly Six's rise, the attempted murder of Sonic and Tails for one, outweighs the severity of their cracks at him.

Like others have said, Sonic's more the Bugs Bunnyish hero that stands in the way of the Yosemite Sammish villain, Dr. Eggman and takes him down a peg. Akin to SPider-Man's snarks too.cool.png

I think you're missing people's complaints. Despite Tails' behavior towards Sonic, he is never forced to apologize. Not even a friendly "sorry for acting like a jerk."

To an extent, I agree.

The only instance when Tails shows regret is when Sonic gets really angry at him because his exaggeratedly stupid jealousy towards Eggman was about to getting him killed by Cubot.

Of course he's right for turning on his now-hesitant best friend without much warning, of course he manages to stop the machine from transforming him into a robot servant with a toothpick because apparently Eggman's machines are just that shitty that they can be reprogrammed as such, of course seven villains didn't notice he stopped the machine in the whole time it took for Sonic to make his way to Lava Mountain, and of course Eggman was unnecessary the whole time.

There's no need to be that aggressively-sarcastic.

I know the odds were all on Tails' advantage, but (I want to clarify that I don't want to force anybody to think the same way I do) I like to see SLW as the occasion Tails was waiting to show his usefulness (in both Colors and Generation, aside for keeping Sonic company, he didn't do anything of vital importance)

Tails pretty much knew everything in that game, and in turn Sonic took a beating supposedly under the guise of making him less perfect and learned a lesson that arguably didn't need to be learned due what we know about him and his relationship with Tails from the past twenty-something years.

I agree on this too.

Yeah I said this is the lesson I believe Sonic was supposed to learn in SLW.

I forget to add that he didn't need to learn it (although a little reminder never hurts)

I can't think of anything Tails does in SLoW that counts as a deus ex machina.

Admittedly, the whole "using his tail like a makeshift hand/claw" thing near the end comes mighty close to it, at the very least.

I could load up Sonic 2 right now and get Tails killed by a little flying toy, y'know.

There are fair criticisms to make about how Tails has been used and portrayed, but "is not a nigh-invulnerable whirlwind of robot destruction" is not one of them.

I did not want to make criticisms about Tails being a "nigh-invulnerable whirlwind of robot destruction", nor I want him to be anything like that, because he's neither invincible or a terminator.

I'm just angry about how Tails is downgraded to the point where he can't even fight back to one of the most basic robot and have to count on Sonic to save him. Which is something that's kills the opportunity to be a strong character when he almost got fried by a buzz bomber and all he did is just hiding behind a rock, instead of helping Sonic.

Considering his butt is already a functioning helicopter, I don't think a little extra dexterity is that hard to buy into.

It did kinda seem like they were over enforcing things to make Sonic the flawed character. They could have very easily just focused on the humility concerning his recklessness, but the whole 'trusting Eggman over me' seemed out of the blue and just another way to make Tails the under appreciated Straight Man. As said though, I can kinda stand it right now because it was at least something different from the two, and if cleaned up the next game to work more properly development wise I think it can work better. As long as Tails doesn't devolve into what Sally did; the self righteous 'always right' character who Sonic constantly screws up or gains a Compressed Vice against just so he can keep his pedestal, I don't think things will get too bad.