Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Has it ever really been implied that tails has fought that many enemies though? Outside of his obvious encounters with eggman in the adventure games and working with knuckles and sonic in heroes, he is never seen actually fighting anything. Also, I seriously dont get why some of you guys take that scene like tails is being a wimp when its pretty darn reasonable for him not to just rush in like that, what exactly is tails going to do against them? Try his hardest to go all the way to the enemy and then tail whip one before going back? He isn't as fast as sonic and I doubt he could've done anything at the time since sonic rushed in too quickly for him to think of anything.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's because of his encounters with Eggman in Adventures and fighting in Heroes that people make that point. Not that Tails should be able to fight an army, but it says a lot that this 8 year old boy who was once able to take down mechs 12 times his size isn't in similar action.

Sonic 2 and S3&K both had Tails working alongside Sonic, so I would assume he's had more than a little experience in fighting badniks.

Yeah, the line of fire from something he's been fighting for years. I expect he wouldn't have much trouble avoiding a hit.

In addition to the fact there's not really much if any canon proof to support your theory, you forget that Tails isn't nearly as agile and fast as Sonic is, and even Sonic wasn't faring all too well in that firefight. 

If you're going to use gameplay to support a narrative point, then you're advocating Eggman is faster than Sonic canonly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, these were badniks that Tails has experience with and knows how to handle. He's also done stuff a lot more dangerous than this, so why is he just now afraid of getting hurt?

Story-wise, this was in fact, a situation that they had NOT dealt with before. SO even that argument falls flat.

Yeah, the line of fire from something he's been fighting for years. I expect he wouldn't have much trouble avoiding a hit.

Again, these were badniks that Tails has experience with and knows how to handle. He's also done stuff a lot more dangerous than this, so why is he just now afraid of getting hurt?

Okay, let's keep in mind that those badniks weren't the only threats there -- don't forget about the Deadly Six messing everything up there. Y'know, those demonic-looking magnetokinetics who's just been relieved of their restraining bolt and who Tails have never seen before that very cutscene.

Look, if you're going to accept SLoW's story at any level, you need to acknowledge that the Zeti and the badnik army are legitimately threatening. If you act like they're harmless, you're ignoring what the story is actually saying.

Also regardless of what situations he's been in before, no one wants to get shot. You're not going to make taking cover from enemy fire into a ridiculous or cowardly action.

Sonic 2 and S3&K both had Tails working alongside Sonic, so I would assume he's had more than a little experience in fighting badniks.

Yeah, but thats from gameplay perspective though not an actual story one, we don't know if tails was the one taking out most of those badniks and at best he probably assisted sonic in taking some out that sonic couldn't do alone and even if we assume tails took out a good number of badniks back in the classics, they were never all concentrating on them at the start of levels to shoot at them or anything like that so in a situation like in that one cutscene he wouldn't really know how to combat it yet and most likely didn't come equipped with any good gadgets to use against them.

Gameplay =/= canon. Not gonna cut it.tumblr_lgjfsg4adO1qh1cr6o1_400.gif

Not sure if this counts as a popular or unpopular opinion, it's hard to tell in this fractured fandom:

Sonic R has the best level design of all the 3D Sonic games.

Yeah, the gameplay is shit, the controls are slippery and the only thing memorable that came out of Sonic R was a forced meme, but have you ever stopped to notice the level design, I mean really stop and notice.

After reading this page of Sonic Jam's Sonic Science, I blow off the dust on my GameCube, put in Sonic Gems, and decided to just explore the levels with various characters in Get 5 Balloons mode.  After that, I saw Sonic R in a whole new light.  Little did I realize after all the years of playing Sonic R that it's level design what I'd always wanted from a 3D Sonic game.

The levels have a main path for the player to follow if they just want to get through the level, but they also have quite a few alternate and secret paths for players who like to explore.  Straying from the main path didn't drop you into a bottomless pit but instead gave you an actual, living world to explore.  Falling in the water didn't insta-kill you, but instead offered a shortcut for characters who could walk on top of the water.

The Sonic Tokens, which can be seen as a precursor to the Red Rings, offered a strong motive for exploration as collecting them all unlocked a new playable character. 

After thinking about it more, my personal ideal Sonic 3D level design would be a mix between Sonic R's, Sonic Adventure's, and Sonic 3 and Knuckles's level designs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Story-wise, this was in fact, a situation that they had NOT dealt with before. SO even that argument falls flat.

Okay, let's keep in mind that those badniks weren't the only threats there -- don't forget about the Deadly Six messing everything up there. Y'know, those demonic-looking magnetokinetics who's just been relieved of their restraining bolt and who Tails have never seen before that very cutscene.

Look, if you're going to accept SLoW's story at any level, you need to acknowledge that the Zeti and the badnik army are legitimately threatening. If you act like they're harmless, you're ignoring what the story is actually saying.

Also regardless of what situations he's been in before, no one wants to get shot. You're not going to make taking cover from enemy fire into a ridiculous or cowardly action.

Look, the point I'm trying to make is that I don't like this new version of Tails. It's completely opposite from how he was in the Dreamcast Era, which I consider the pinnacle of his character. Now, instead of someone who tries to emulate Sonic, Tails has become the straight man to Sonic's funny man and developed an obnoxiously cynical attitude on top of that. You guys might be okay with it, but to me this character is Tails In Name Only.

Look, the point I'm trying to make is that I don't like this new version of Tails. It's completely opposite from how he was in the Dreamcast Era, which I consider the pinnacle of his character. Now, instead of someone who tries to emulate Sonic, Tails has become the straight man to Sonic's funny man and developed an obnoxiously cynical attitude on top of that. You guys might be okay with it, but to me this character is Tails In Name Only.

But then why would it be better for tails to emulate sonic, he's got to form his own character at some point whether than living in his shadow (which was actually what moved him to do what he did in SA1 and to a way lesser extent in SA2) sure his character in SLW may not be perfect but its not like its a step in the wrong direction, he just needs a bit more polish.

@Jovahexeon:

Kind of a late reply but, perhaps I didn't make my point clear. I wasn't saying Eggman's likability as a character should excuse his villainy like the examples you brought up. I just got annoyed that Sonikku was exaggerating how 'bad' he was and that the 'he deserves 'far worse' rants I hear on occasion implies that it's not okay to like a villain. Nothing to do with excusing his actions, just replying to the exaggeration with exaggeration.  

...he did.

I don't mean to be abrasive, but I'm starting to wonder exactly how much you've been paying attention in this debate?

I'm not seeing it. Especially considering how jacked up the characterization of the games have been between Adventures and arguably Lost World, and nevermind the lack of spotlight the hero cast has had up to this point.

You have characters flanderized like hell in Heroes, and all around contradicting the narrative's theme of Teamwork by fighting against each other to go after the same or similar goals and a poor as hell script that makes many of them (especially Team Sonic) come off as parodies; you have characters made laughable due to the script and mishandling of a dark tone in ShTH (which as a few decent moments, but that's spaced out between lots of the bad); ripping on Sonic 06's story is beating a dead horse at this point, and come around Unleashed most of the cast is ditched and the only two that stick around (Tails and Amy) hardly get lines anywhere near the double digits in the cutscenes. Only Tails gets a noticable improvement as far as the characterization goes concerning Colors and Generations, and then you reach Lost World which gets arguable.

The games have had their struggles, but they've gotten more of a bad rep even within the fandom over the characterization and as a result people look poorly at Sonic Team for their ability. Bad writing is a major reason for the whole "Shitty Friends" syndrome outside the fandom as well. And even taking into consideration their smaller roles, I don't give these games a point just for giving these characters scraps for dialogue. I'd rather the hero cast be bland and tolerable and relevant like in the comics over being cringeworthy and minor like in the games, because the games can do better than what they have been.

The thing is the comics don't really make the characters any more vibrant, they just dilute them so they're harmlessly bland. Sure they de flanderize characters like Amy and Knuckles, but they add no new traits or facets in their place, so they're just another soldier that generically goes into fire without having any contribution concerning their personalities, something even the games and Sonic X versions have proved able to do. That's the recurring plot for nearly every Archie plot, the events make the characters, not vice versa, so every story they just go into war.

Any time Ian does try some actual character development, it ends up pretentiously done, either reliant on exposition and backstory than any real characterization, or using gratuitous angst or Compressed Vices (Sonic is often the biggest victim of this). He doesn't come off as someone who understands flawed characters. The flaws of the characters in the games were never the problem, it was the handling of them and limiting the characters to just one aspect, and even that is better than none at all.

This is especially evident with his treatment of the Satam Freedom Fighters, the characters he has far more free reign on, and yet they're practically blank slates. Antoine of Satam was a one note Straw Loser, but at least he could hold a story on his own, the newer 'better' Antoine has no real personality outside a French accent and making lovey duvvy looks at Bunnie. Meanwhile he's failed several times over to make Sally look like a naturally flawed character despite vigorous lampshading. I still quiz over what Rotor and Bunnie have in terms of personality outside dishing a load of bad events onto them, which is circumstantial development rather than actual personality. You can do bad things to an Everyman and they'll still react like an Everyman.

The games are a mess, but I'll give them credit that they make the characters matter to the story. You could switch roles and dialogue boxes with the Archie and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. They're just blank pawns for generic fight scenes.

Uh, yes it is? Sonic and Tails working together was part of the story. And even without that, what about the stuff he did on his own? Tails has, without help from anyone:

• Kept Dr. Eggman from blowing up Station Square, even going so far as to fight a mech that could have killed him instantly despite having no weapons of his own.
  • Broke Sonic out of a maximum-security prison. The only reason this wasn't single-handed is because Amy had the same idea by coincidence.
  • Fought the BattleKukku Army and destroyed their fortress. Enough said, really.

But if you're going to discredit everything Tails has done just so you can validate his behavior in Lost World, I see no point in continuing this discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jovahexeon:

Kind of a late reply but, perhaps I didn't make my point clear. I wasn't saying Eggman's likability as a character should excuse his villainy like the examples you brought up. I just got annoyed that Sonikku was exaggerating how 'bad' he was and that the 'he deserves 'far worse' rants I hear on occasion implies that it's not okay to like a villain. Nothing to do with excusing his actions, just replying to the exaggeration with exaggeration.  

but I never said it wasnt okay to like him. I like Eggman. i just think that with everything hes done, he deserves Sonics taunts.

About the scene when Tails gets zapped...

He's out action since Unleashed (2008). Everyone can get "ring rust" after six years of inactivity.

In all honesty, I can understand where ElectroKyurem is coming from. That scene with Tails in SLW isn't actually a problem on it's own, but when this is coming after how he's been depicted since after 06, like that shameful scene in Unleashed and him doing nothing of much consequence in Colors or Generations, all while remembering what he used to do physically in the classics and SA1, is it really that difficult to see how it could turn off Tails fans?

Also...

In addition to the fact there's not really much if any canon proof to support your theory, you forget that Tails isn't nearly as agile and fast as Sonic is, and even Sonic wasn't faring all too well in that firefight.
If you're going to use gameplay to support a narrative point, then you're advocating Eggman is faster than Sonic canonly.

Yeah, but thats from gameplay perspective though not an actual story one, we don't know if tails was the one taking out most of those badniks and at best he probably assisted sonic in taking some out that sonic couldn't do alone and even if we assume tails took out a good number of badniks back in the classics, they were never all concentrating on them at the start of levels to shoot at them or anything like that so in a situation like in that one cutscene he wouldn't really know how to combat it yet and most likely didn't come equipped with any good gadgets to use against them.

Gameplay =/= canon. Not gonna cut it.

In the gameplay of the classic games, Tails moved about as fast as Sonic and attacks enemies as often as he does. There were no cutscenes back then, so the characters only existed in the gameplay. Ergo, we are being clearly presented that Tails moving as fast as Sonic and joins in the combat. And fine, by that same token, maybe Eggman does actually run damn fast too, he just prefers to use his machines. I guess my point is, when the gameplay is all that we see of the characters back then, I really don't know where this retconning idea of Tails being slow or not agile comes from.

• Thumbs Up 1

like that shameful scene in Unleashed

I assume you mean the scene in which Tails flies away from the Dark Titan and it's Nightmare brethren in Apotos and it's up to Sonic to save him?

Because if anything, knowing when to retreat when you're faced by a monster that's capable of turning you into a bloody smear with one strike of it's club is not shameful in the least and is more wise than cowardly. I mean holy shit, if you were faced by a large group of creatures that are fixated on attacking anything they see and didn't have the power necessary to take them on wouldn't you run in the interests of self-preservation?

• Thumbs Up 3

But gameplay is all older games have.  Did you see cutscenes in the Genesis games?  Heck, people have even come up with explanations for Eggman's burst of speed (hidden tech, adrenaline, Sonic not really trying because he thinks the man is cornered, etc.) specifically because we only know what the games give us.  And it's a critical part of game storytelling even when cutscenes are possible - we know Tails can keep up with Sonic as of SA1, and is in fact desperate to, because that's his entire game mode.  We know he can keep up in Heroes because of the way gameplay works in that game.  And so on.  Dialogue is only a part of video game storytelling specifically because it's interactive and less restrictive.  There are all kinds of places to hide little pieces of the world and the characters in video games because players can generally take more than one path through, whereas films, TV, and books all carry you along in a predetermined path.

Here, let Extra Credits summarize it better than I can.  I've got another gripe with the franchise that they spell out at 4:52 in the video: "Games cannot tell their stories through disconnected segments of gameplay strung together by cutscenes."

About the scene when Tails gets zapped...

He's out action since Unleashed (2008). Everyone can get "ring rust" after six years of inactivity.

That's part of the complaint, and it extends through the entire gameplay design, not just the story.  Here we've got a pretty popular character who used to have a nice blend of physical and intellectual traits.  He used to (going by both gameplay and cutscenes) be able to at least try to keep up with Sonic, although it's likely the hedgehog was humoring him, and he was both competent and brave enough to take on badniks and even boss machines both in a group and on his own throughout S2, S3&K, and especially Adventure.  It's kind of understandable that he'd run and hide from the Nightmares in Unleashed, since they're new and he's surrounded, but the problem after that is tied to the fact that only Sonic is playable.  Take out the cutscenes and Tails doesn't even feature in the Wii version, but in the PS360 game he's still perfectly combat-capable in his Tornado.

Moving on to Colors, though, he's still heroic but is denied a chance to show it.  He's never shown in the background exploring the park, he doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to Sonic's own progress, and while he's certainly brave in jumping in front of the mind-control ray we aren't given a chance to see what he can do then either.  And Sonic still seems to treat him like a completely vulnerable little kid instead of a sidekick, kicking him out of the final boss arena without warning.  Generations barely had a plot, so him acting as an exposition fairy was a bit more acceptable, but it was kind of jarring seeing Classic Tails fly Sonic around in his minigame while Modern just messed around in an easy airplane race that offered pretty much no challenge.  Again, gameplay depictions speak at least as loud as words.

And then there's Lost World.  Now, Tails's depiction in the second half of the game - triggering the trap to protect Sonic and then hacking his way out of a roboticizer - was pretty impressive, and although I'd have liked to see him at least try to do something physical I can certainly stand what we got.  And his attitude in the writing is also something I can work with - DC111 made some good points about it shortly after the game came out (he's learned from the best, after all) and there's plenty to read between the lines too (he's frantic for Sonic's approval, and most of his most arrogant lines come across as hiding insecurities, at least to me).  But I'm not sure if I trust Sonic Team to deliberately go that deep, and the fact remains that Tails is only given tech-support roles.  Every time he tries to do something physical it bites him - getting trapped for Sonic and getting shot by that buzz-bomber are the obvious examples.  We don't get to see him contribute anything except by proxy (he could at least fly Sonic around at some point, but instead he ends up getting carried more often than not), and it looks like Sonic is always walking during the cutscenes to make sure Tails doesn't get left behind.  It really doesn't seem like the same spread of skills we had back in Adventure or Heroes - remember when he carried both Sonic and Knuckles at the same time? - and that's why I'm disappointed in the character nowadays.

And that lack of action really has rubbed off on his actual characterization.  He has indeed become the nerd, the weak, snarky kid brother Sonic has to look after, and while he's still contributing it's never in any tangible gameplay or background-world manner, just in cutscenes.  There's room to expand on that, sure, but like I said I don't really trust Sonic Team to follow through.  We'll see, though.  At the very least, I could be pleasantly surprised.

• Thumbs Up 4

The thing is the comics don't really make the characters any more vibrant, they just dilute them so they're harmlessly bland. Sure they de flanderize characters like Amy and Knuckles, but they add no new traits or facets in their place, so they're just another soldier that generically goes into fire without having any contribution concerning their personalities, something even the games and Sonic X versions have proved able to do. That's the recurring plot for nearly every Archie plot, the events make the characters, not vice versa, so every story they just go into war.

Exactly what new traits or facets have Amy and especially Knuckles been given in the games since the Adventures? Ever since then, they've been nothing more than stereotypes than actual characters, which is a far worse thing to do than making a cast of Everymans that can react in multiple ways. You're disregarding the characters in Archie for reacting to events while praising the games for having them emote as stereotypes or at worse doing nothing and standing around as cheerleaders. Characters are more than just their emotions and personality, they're also defined by action especially in this franchise's case when most of its entertainment value is very dependent on actions and events the characters are placed into and how they deal with the conflicts from such events with their own actions.

While their personality is what sets them apart from each other (or makes them similar, something you also should keep in mind whether it's the games or the comics), their actions make further differences or similarities between each other as they still need to be involved in more than just the sidelines; you can praise their personalities as much as you want, but if they're not going to take action that equates to it, then there's hardly any point for them to be around in the narrative.

Any time Ian does try some actual character development, it ends up pretentiously done, either reliant on exposition and backstory than any real characterization, or using gratuitous angst or Compressed Vices (Sonic is often the biggest victim of this). He doesn't come off as someone who understands flawed characters. The flaws of the characters in the games were never the problem, it was the handling of them and limiting the characters to just one aspect, and even that is better than none at all.

No, it really isn't. First of all, because Archie doesn't limit it's cast to just one aspect, they don't have lack of them. Second, limiting characters to one aspect puts them at a disadvantage because you're practically stereotyping them when the could do and be more. A master of one that is placed outside their comfort zone, but hardly does anything even then, is not better than a jack of all trades put in the same problem but might actually do something about it even if others are jacks as well. And again, what development have the characters in the games been getting recently?

Knuckles' development has been halted ever since SA2, with him being thrown into the narrative just because. Meanwhile, Archie had (pre-reboot) a backstory fleshed out for him and had him navigate a society of his own kind as it interacts with the rest of the world while he still engages threats that endanger the stuff close to him. ( Not that I like all of these things that were made by Penders, but its far more than what Knuckles has been given in the games for the past decade)

Amy has had fewer development in the games, as prior to her minimal role in Lost World, everything post Adventure was mostly "SonicSonicSonic". Meanwhile in Archie, she still has her similarities, but is instead infatuated compared to her obsessive game counterpart, much more reasonable and down to earth, and gets many chances to charge into the front lines to help out. 

Shadow's recent development was 8 years ago in Sonic 06, and his whole characters was nothing more than being dark and stoic. Meanwhile in Archie, he's still stoic, but actually far more emotive and abrasive, and even put into humorous situations that his game version is practically devoid of. Rouge and Omega in the games have been relegated to Shadow's sidekicks that can't be their own characters, while in the comics they're able to branch out on their own, such as Omega leading troops to fight Eggman when he was invading a city looking for Snively; this goes doubly for Omega because he still retains his desire to destroy Eggman's creations, yet he does so in a comedic sociopathic manner compared to his game counterpart's more straight-faced and generic tone. And the Chaotix have hardly had any major action in the games since arguably ShTH, where as we can see what they've been up to in the comics while they're away.

I like more well rounded characters not dependent on one thing. We have a term for these characters: Three Dimensional Characters, and I want these over the more Two Dimensional cast we have in the games. A jack of all trades, master of none, is ofttimes better than a master of one, my friend.

This is especially evident with his treatment of the Satam Freedom Fighters, the characters he has far more free reign on, and yet they're practically blank slates. Antoine of Satam was a one note Straw Loser, but at least he could hold a story on his own, the newer 'better' Antoine has no real personality outside a French accent and making lovey duvvy looks at Bunnie.

So we're gonna disregard how his development from a coward to a braver person that shows more confidence, willingness, and even capability of taking action, all of which led to him pulling a heroic sacrifice that sent shockwaves to his friends that few actually saw coming and almost though he actually died and became a factor that broke up the FFs in the previous verse?

Because let me remind you, events and actions are just as important when it comes to a character. You don't define or praise them on personality (or events, or actions) alone.

Meanwhile he's failed several times over to make Sally look like a naturally flawed character despite vigorous lampshading.

This I'll give you, as Verte has been critical if her too and I can see it as well.

I still quiz over what Rotor and Bunnie have in terms of personality outside dishing a load of bad events onto them, which is circumstantial development rather than actual personality. You can do bad things to an Everyman and they'll still react like an Everyman.

Which is perfectly fine so long as that Everyman gets involve in the thick of things instead of standing back cheering everyone else on.

The games are a mess, but I'll give them credit that they make the characters matter to the story.

Really?

Exactly how did Tails or Amy matter in Unleashed beyond the former flying Sonic around? Exactly how did anyone besides the Sonics, the Tails, and the Eggmans matter in Generations beyond being cheerleaders when they could have done more than celebrate a party and stand at the level gates? Exactly how did Amy and Knuckles matter in Lost World or even Sonic 06 where their minimal involvement became more noticeable?

You are giving these things far too much credit, simply for being different from their Archie counterparts. Ever since the Adventures and to an extent Heroes, many of these characters have mattered very little to the story. You say in Archie that you can switch the characters dialogue and such and it would be no different, then say the games make them matter in the story? I could very well say that for the games. But the games have the biggest strike against them as for all their personality can take them, due to them hardly getting into action in the story you could take some of these very characters straight out of the entire narrative for doing so little and it wouldn't be any different.

The games are a mess, but I'll give them credit that they make the characters matter to the story. You could switch roles and dialogue boxes with the Archie and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. They're just blank pawns for generic fight scenes.

They both have their flaws. The games problems other than not letting us play as characters they don't really do anything in the story they're just there for fan service. Knuckles has been reduced to a butt monkey and just they "I can do it better than you can that's why I'm not doing anything" Amy has gotten worse they have portrayed her to only caring about sonic granted lost world showed that she can care about other things but her involvement in the story was just here feeling the effects of the machine(knux what were you doing again?). Tails character is pretty much all over the place I just feel he and Sonic's relationship various I'm once scene their bros in others he's just the sidekick and depending on how serious the situation is his attitude changes "idk if you can beat him despite you handling worse" "I'm captured ok do whatever I don't care" "the world is in danger and right now you trust eggman more than me? How dare you" ok I'm nitpicking but that's how it comes out at times I just feel that SEGA plays it safe with these characters

Now with Archie the problem is their s a lot of good ideas sometimes they aren't executed well. Knux he's pretty much a mess(Im talking per reboot) and I just feel post penders era Ian wanted to make him suffer at times. Tails it depends on the story character wise but atleast the best friend, someone to talk to dynamic is consistent at times but i will admit they fought over a dumb reason(like most people nowadays :/ ) )Amy feels to be better than her game counterpart because she isn't as obsessive and petty as she has been portrayed as and is willing to take action. They can take risk depending on how far the mandates went but sometimes were done bad

I just feel that the Archie characterizations only look remotely good because they have the highly Flanderized versions of other medias to fall back on. If you hadn't seen those and the Archie versions were your only exposure to the cast would you still think they were any good?

Okay so what does Antoine have now? He's brave. Wow. He's humble. Cor. He's suave. Yikes. He has...pretty much the standard traits of every hero known. Not only did they change him into a character completely uninterchangable with his previous form, they diluted him into a blank slate. If you hadn't seen the early comics or Satam you'd likely think he was a flat character.

The games aren't rounded, what I mean is that they can still make any character matter period. Sure only Sonic and Tails matter at this point, but that's better than nothing. The other characters are periphery, but at least they're not treated as anything higher, compared to the comics that give every character heavy limelight yet barely make any use of it whatsoever. You feel after nearly 300 issues they should have done something productive with them, especially since it's a media focused far more primarily on story than the games.

I can't take to stories that have bland characters. If I don't feel for the characters I don't take the story, and if the characters don't have a shred of personality, I don't feel for them. The games have limitation in this, but at least have one or two that matter, compared to the comics' usual big fat ZERO.