Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Big can fly a plane in sonic adventure and did a lot of stuff in heroes. He isn't stupid. Lazy? Yes he's meant to be the joke character and where's Waldo in the series. Nobody in this series is stupid...except for knuckles

(In case anybody is wondering I'm joking)

In all seriousness everybody in this series has been flanderized into something they aren't and its kinda annoying but thankfully lost world tried to improve that..tried to

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing about Archie!Big is that his simpleness is just that; simpleness. Big is fairly oblivious to how he comes-off to others because he doesn't care. And he's all the more freaking awesome for it.

Chronicles!Big is characterized as acting outright dumb with his non-sequiturs and his flanderized dimness is even a gameplay factor as his 'Feel No Pain' POW move shows.

The game gave him "Idiot immunity"...becasue that's how much they flanderized his obliviousness. 

I really long for the gameplay style (and level design to a certain degree) of Unleashed, Colours and Generations to return. Lost World really isn't that bad but it sure is bland as hell and lacks a lot of flow.

Besides, the gameplay style was very versatile. Unleashed demonstrated that the formula could be used to provide a constantly flowing and thrilling experience while Colours and Generations harkened back to tighter platforming and almost 'Sonic Adventure'-esque design with the same gameplay and it still worked. I see a lot more potential in it. Generations was a step in the right direction and I feel that the power of the current generation consoles (and even the Wii U to a certain extent) should be seen as an opportunity to expand upon the formula by tackling issues in those games such as the framerate and tighter/improved controls.

Besides, the gameplay style was very versatile. Unleashed demonstrated that the formula could be used to provide a constantly flowing and thrilling experience while Colours and Generations harkened back to tighter platforming and almost 'Sonic Adventure'-esque design with the same gameplay and it still worked.

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse with this but I really couldn't disagree more. The boost gameplay was good at one thing and one thing only (and even that, only thanks to the subtle prodding that kept Sonic on course). You take him away from the narrow hallways, simon says obstacles, and scripted sequences, and the controls start getting janky and Sonic has almost no abilities that apply to the situation.

I said it in a status before, but me and my friend constantly joke about Knuckles just wanting his paycheck, hence why he's stumbling all over the place and maintaining that "I've got something in my teeth" expression. He's like:

"Aye, I'm meant to stand here with a bloody Eggman device. Fuckin' ridiculous. Right then, give me the card back Soni-aw fuck whatever..."

(Slightly paraphrasing.)

• Thumbs Up 6

I like how he tries to look badass afterwards by stepping on the letter after Sonic throw it at him, its like he's trying to save face.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this one is kind of popular: Sonic Rush Adventure is the best Sonic game Dimps has ever made and it does everything better from Rush.

I can not express how much fun I had with this game, from the fun and unique stages and boss fights from the kick-ass soundtrack to a story that I consider one of the best in the series. I have seen people saying Rush is one of their favorite games, I don't really see how Rush is better than Rush Adventure but that's just me. Playing the minigames with the ships were pretty fun, getting the Chaos Emeralds were interesting as well, from the 16 hidden islands to 60 missions, this game has much more replay value than Rush could ever hope for.

I agree with this. Sonic Rush Adveture was one of the few Sonic games that kept all the side gameplay brief enough that you didn't spend too much time away from the main gameplay to do it, and fun enough that it wasn't a complete drag. The only thing I didn't like about the game was grinding for materials, and even then you get materials for completing levels. It's not like Unleashed or to a lesser extent Lost World where you HAVE to spend time seeking things out. 

Basically, SRA had the right idea on a lot of things, plus it played great, had a fun little story, an actually decent soundtrack unlike the first one, and was all around a blast. Plus it had the second best set of levels in the series IMO.  Sega should just let Dimps do whatever the fuck they want again. Having them make shitty versions of Lost World is a waste.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like how he tries to look badass afterwards by stepping on the letter after Sonic throw it at him, its like he's trying to save face.

Sonic '06 may have been terrible, but at least it had great characterization! Sometimes! Occasionally.

Edit: I'm joking.

I think it's fair to assume that 06' was the one game Knuckles did not want to be in.

He saw his future and decided to make the best out of a bad situation.

I like Lost World's soundtrack. it  may not be the most memorable soundtrack, but I think even for a Sonic game it's pretty good. It's no Colors or SA1, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

Popular opinion? Knuckles was downright hilarious in '06.

I mean look at his body language and expressions in many of the cutscenes. It's as if he exudes awkwardness. Another thing is that he comes-off to me as being akin to a guy who's been invited to a party but doesn't want to be there and doesn't even know what he's doing there in the first place. And it's like he's treated like some clumsy doofus as well;

igRnq109dHSSY.gif

"Curse these giant clumsy Echidna hands!" and that glare towards Sonic says it all.

ibrEjrqagC82x5.gif

I love it how he takes a few steps in the wrong direction, takes two seconds to realize it then turns and darts in the right direction laugh.png

Knuckles is one of the few with good personality gestures in that game (par maybe Tails' bubbliness early on, really need more of that). I do admit I like Knuckles being at least slightly comical and awkward, while I understand those annoyed at him being Flanderized to JUST those traits, I don't agree with the idea he should revert to being a perpetually dignified and serious character (the lack of comical moments is why Chronicles!Knuckles was another poor character depiction too). Just find a good balance so he's the Comically Serious (early Sonic X almost had it, but overdid the 'team's punching bag' dynamic).

I also have to agree about Big. Truthfully I think writers tend to underestimate how much depth clownish characters have and demote them to comic relief so they never have their own arcs and pathos. I thought Sonic Team's take on Big was a pretty sympathetic character due to the fact they bothered to give him a Day In The Limelight, he was a bit dim, but an easy going lovable lump who was admirable in how determined he was to get his friend back. He had some hidden depths too, even being capable of being a tad philosophical ("I don't think anyone would bother to save us both"). Heroes downgraded him a bit, he sounded a bit dumber and had a bit of Lenny thing going on with his team mates, but it was still cute to see his interactions with other characters (especially his protectiveness towards Cream).

I actually would really like to see Big get another moment in the spotlight, he actually feels like he has a lot of discarded potential. I'd also like to hear more from his new VA (while I thought St John was a good Big, I like his new VA downplays the slur and makes him sound more mellow than dumb).

• Thumbs Up 3

I know I'm kind of beating a dead horse with this but I really couldn't disagree more. The boost gameplay was good at one thing and one thing only (and even that, only thanks to the subtle prodding that kept Sonic on course). You take him away from the narrow hallways, simon says obstacles, and scripted sequences, and the controls start getting janky and Sonic has almost no abilities that apply to the situation.

Level design =/= gameplay.

Unless you're suggesting that the gameplay itself is only good for that kind of level design, which I again disagree. It controls more than well enough for me in sections with platforming.

Unless you're suggesting that the gameplay itself is only good for that kind of level design, which I again disagree. It controls more than well enough for me in sections with platforming.

Level design is a subset of gameplay, especially for Sonic's case when he's using momentum and the environment to reach other places.

Sonic Unleashed's gameplay is reaction based to the point crippling overspecialization. It benefited best from that kind of level design because it allowed better flow and progress compared to other cases, such as Color's more blocky platforming segments restricting players to the point that boosting wasn't even worth wasting the gauge until you climbed to a point to use it. Nevermind that the boost dominates things so much that there were hardly any lasting improvements to the other parts of the gameplay, requiring they venture outside the boost and add power ups like the Wisp or a whole different form of gameplay via Generations Classic Sonic in order to make it last.

There's certainly room for much faster motion and better level design, but the intense speed and reaction based gameplay with that kind of level design isn't where I think Sonic shines.

Unless you're suggesting that the gameplay itself is only good for that kind of level design,

Basically.

which I again disagree. It controls more than well enough for me in sections with platforming.

It really doesn't, though. Sonic moves awkwardly at low speeds. Less so in Generations than Unleashed, but he still doesn't have the fluidity and ease of Mario. It is, at best, "good enough"...for the incredibly simple platforming they ask of you.

Also this doesn't address the issue that boost-era Sonic's moveset is almost entirely geared towards the boosting sections, and when he is in a platforming setting he has almost no way to engage with it.

Basically.

It really doesn't, though. Sonic moves awkwardly at low speeds. Less so in Generations than Unleashed, but he still doesn't have the fluidity and ease of Mario. It is, at best, "good enough"...for the incredibly simple platforming they ask of you.

Also this doesn't address the issue that boost-era Sonic's moveset is almost entirely geared towards the boosting sections, and when he is in a platforming setting he has almost no way to engage with it.

Not going to get into an argument about it, but I still think the complaints on his movement is kind of overblown, sure it isn't perfect but its definitely not something that can mess you up given time, he controls well enough (but like others have said he can be kind of slippery at times) so I never have any problems with it.

Popular opinion? Knuckles was downright hilarious in '06.

I mean look at his body language and expressions in many of the cutscenes. It's as if he exudes awkwardness. Another thing is that he comes-off to me as being akin to a guy who's been invited to a party but doesn't want to be there and doesn't even know what he's doing there in the first place. And it's like he's treated like some clumsy doofus as well;

igRnq109dHSSY.gif

"Curse these giant clumsy Echidna hands!" and that glare towards Sonic says it all.

I always imagined him thinking "Damn it Sonic, you know I can't catch stuff with these gloves."

Knuckles is one of the few with good personality gestures in that game (par maybe Tails' bubbliness early on, really need more of that). I do admit I like Knuckles being at least slightly comical and awkward, while I understand those annoyed at him being Flanderized to JUST those traits, I don't agree with the idea he should revert to being a perpetually dignified and serious character (the lack of comical moments is why Chronicles!Knuckles was another poor character depiction too). Just find a good balance so he's the Comically Serious (early Sonic X almost had it, but overdid the 'team's punching bag' dynamic).

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Even in S3&K, he isn't totally serious or dignified. Remember how he tried to hit Sonic in Launch Base and got knocked off the platform? It worked because instead of portraying Knuckles as an idiot, it merely placed him in a humorous situation (and it doesn't hurt that he pretty much had it coming).

Despite the fact that he's just there doesn't make any sense, I think Knuckles "befriending" the flickies in SLW is really cute.

The scene at the end where he joyfully celebrate the restore of the planet with them (right before Sonic and Tails join him and Amy) is so adorable

• Thumbs Up 1

-I'm totally fine with Sonic 06, although I do not really like it.

-Black Knight was awful. Just awful.

-Sonic X is a decent show, when it's the Japanese dub (Lots of people hate the anime entirely)

-I have no issues with the Werehog levels (Everybody stares at me and then prepares to kill me) and actually, if it wasn't a Sonic game, it would had been quite fun. I hope SEGA reuses the werehog levels, BUT NOT IN A SONIC GAME.

My responses to certain opinions.

I personally thought nothing of Knuckles not catching the letter (I didn't even find it funny, I just thought it's something that happens) , but Knuckles spacing out a bit when everyone splits up does rubs me the wrong way, Sonic is dead and Sega trying to make Knuckles look 'comedic' here makes it look like he wasn't paying any attention.

I find that the top Sonic games that are I seen popular among the Sonic players are Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Adventure. Why? I think it is due to the reason that.... A. Multiple characters are played in the scenarios. B. It gives you reasons to replay the game for different endings. C. Multiple Cinematic/Plots/Endings offer a link to the other characters stories. In turn tying them into the game itself on a whole spectrum. This gives the player the satisfaction that most players of Sonic would like to seen happen. (I THINK....I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH.) So I agree to that on some aspect. Though I need a bit more research elsewhere. My data is not conclusive as it could change. But either way I enjoy most Sonic games even though some of them do have lame stories/terrible gameplay. I am a sucker for Sonic games afterall.

Ooh, here's a killer after watching ClementJ642's "Look at", Sonic Chronicles and both storybook games are actually pretty good. Obviously, nowhere near the calibre of say, Unleashed or Colours, but, some of the top games to come out during the dark age. Those three, the Rush series, the Riders series and the Rivals series are probably the best games of the dark ages.

Semi-Popular Opinion: Tails' Sonic Boom design is better than his original design.

I mean, it's only a subtle change, but it's so perfect.  Granted, I'm still not big on him having that tool belt all the time, but if it serves a practical purpose, I'm not opposed.  Even if it didn't, though, it's just a minor nitpick.  He's just too adorable~ <3

xtual3H.png

• Thumbs Up 6