Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Even on its own, SLW is nowhere near as slow as people make it out to be.

I honestly have to wonder if people are calling it slow because the last main game before that was Generations.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Incredibly unpopular opinion: I really, REALLY don't like Sonic 3 & K all that much. I know this sounds insane coming from me, as I'm pretty much known to praise its handling of playable characters till the cows come home, but I never get much enjoyment out of playing it.

Yeah,Sonic 3 is a pretty decent game standalone, both have stellar soundtracks, and I have so much appreciation toward the complete package for having everyone unlockable from the start and allowing us to play the game however we want without any last story BS, but both games combined tend to drag for me. A dozen stages in a 2D game is kind of overkill for me, as I prefer my Classic Sonic experience to be short and sweet, and the 2nd half has got more than its fair share of absolutely horrid levels (Sandopolis and Lava Reef, anyone), for me to play through.

I wouldn't say that there are too many levels, its more that the Sonic&Knuckles levels go on a lot longer like Sandopolis, Lava Reef, and Death Egg zone and those levels are where many people believe the game starts to drag, I do agree with that but I never found it a real problem. There are only a few more levels than Sonic 2, which has 14 zones by itself. Sandopolis and Lava Reef act 2 can also be major pains, since those are the 2 longest levels in the game, and the levels themselves aren't really fun to play...I find that while terrible they don't detract from the game that much.

I personally much preferred the longer acts in S3&K.  They had time to bed in and create a lasting impression rather than zipping by too fast.  Totally subjective, though; I played it before Sonic 1 and 2 and so nostalgia and first impressions kick in very strongly.  But I do think it's more my sort of game than its predecessors regardless, because I'm more interested in the exploration and platforming aspects than the sense of speed.

Sonic 4: Episode II has gone from being a game that I took complete offense at when it was first released to a game that I actually consider... good. Still not worthy of being a sequel to the gems that are the classics but still a solid little game IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

"Sonic has been considerably better-off in the hands of game developers other than Sonic Team"

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

sonicr.jpg

_-Sonic-3D-Blast-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

No. No it hasn't. And Boom has yet to concretely prove that it's significantly better than Sonic Team's best efforts. Not defending Sonic Team's below the bottom of the barrel games like '06 but in my view, none of the Sonic games that came from developers other than them are not considerably better than their titles.

The SEGA+Sonic series by Sumo (Which is a damn fine studio) i.e Tennis, Racing etc do not count as they are not Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair, Traveler's Tales was just starting out, plus their Sonic games were just spin-offs. Granted, it doesn't excuse R's problems and I think 3D Blast wasn't bad, mediocre, but not bad.

Don't know what happened with BioWare, though.unsure.png

*shrugs* I don't know. I get why some people get a little mad over it because there might not exactly see the point to it, but I don't see why they still can't. I do see why people wouldn't like it in main games, perhaps they should keep it in spin offs for that reason.

I always thought that Sonic storybook series were the best(or atleast the most torelable)Sonic games between 2005-2009. Yeah, it was on rails and had rather terrible motion controls, but I think these games were pretty much decent for Wii games. If you get used to the controls then the games were fun and entertaining. The storyline was pretty good actually and it nailed Sonic's character perfectly which is another reason why I'm glad both SR and BK exists. These games have most awesome soundtrack from the series IMO and it's miles beyond better than the mediocrity in Unleashed and Colors.

So yeah, I think the Storybook series is underrated. Both games are definitly better than any utter garbage released in Sonic's "dark age" since atleast SR and BK were atleast had some quality in it while the same can't be said about unplayable and broken trashes like Shadow the hedgehog and Sonic 06.

To be fair, Traveler's Tales was just starting out, plus their Sonic games were just spin-offs. Granted, it doesn't excuse R's problems and I think 3D Blast wasn't bad, mediocre, but not bad.

Don't know what happened with BioWare, though.unsure.png

The main thing with BioWare I think is just the game lacked some exp balance in the game, so leveling took a lot longer than it should have. The game wasn't that bad, but it definitely could have been better. Who knows if there would have been a sequel though if BioWare wasn't bought up by EA and if you know who hadn't thrown a lawsuit at them as well thinking they are stealing his ideas as well.

I sort of liked the idea of an RPG, but that's because like platformers, RPG's are a favorite genre of mine that I like to play in as well. They definitely have the characters, settings and stories to make them with it.

Also, yeah, I think Sonic Lost World is unfairly judged at times. Is the game perfect? No. Is the game worthy of the low scores it gets, not at all. I think it is much better than Generations to be honest in story and in gameplay. It is so much longer, it flows better and tends to make more sense in general over all. Once again, the game isn't perfect, but I was definitely impressed with it.

The main thing with BioWare I think is just the game lacked some exp balance in the game, so leveling took a lot longer than it should have. The game wasn't that bad, but it definitely could have been better. Who knows if there would have been a sequel though if BioWare wasn't bought up by EA and if you know who hadn't thrown a lawsuit at them as well thinking they are stealing his ideas as well.

I think Verte was focusing more on the story than the actual gameplay. I've only seen videos of the game in action, but it just looks like a rush job and I'm not in a hurry to actually play it because 1: I don't like playing turn based RPGs, and 2: I own enough bad Sonic gamestongue.png .

Wasn't it more that Chronicles wasn't really made by Bioware per se, but by their new (and short-lived) handheld arm made up of newbie developers?

I don't know if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I'd like someone else to have a stab at making a Sonic RPG one of these days.  The negative reception of Chronicles basically killed all possibility of that for a long time, though.  Although, looking it up, I can't believe it got good reviews.

Wasn't it more that Chronicles wasn't really made by Bioware per se, but by their new (and short-lived) handheld arm made up of newbie developers?

I don't know if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I'd like someone else to have a stab at making a Sonic RPG one of these days.  The negative reception of Chronicles basically killed all possibility of that for a long time, though.  Although, looking it up, I can't believe it got good reviews.

Something like that.

As far as the good reviews are concerned, I think it was more out of spite on the kind of Sonic games we were getting at the time and a dick-riding of Bioware. I don't entirely see that as a bad thing, as the silver lining in that is that all the stuff people were disliking in the franchise before Chronicles came along, characters and story, weren't disliked in Chronicles and shows that all you really needed was to know how improve the quality of these elements. Something which, to this day, SEGA seems to struggle to understand how.

I dunno if these are popular or unpopular but I'm gonna go ahead and say it anyway.

I'm a SonAmy supporter. In my mind, Amy just wants to prove herself to Sonic and go on adventures with him to kick some Eggman butt. She has no desire to weigh him down, she wants to run with him.

I'll never understand why people like SonAlly. Sally is extremely selfish when it comes to Sonic. Unlike Amy, Sally wants to tie Sonic down so he can cater to her needs. She wants to stop him from pursuing Eggman, taking away his freedom and what he loves doing.

I rarely post about Sonic, but I can be passionate when I want to be.

I'm a SonAmy supporter. In my mind, Amy just wants to prove herself to Sonic and go on adventures with him to kick some Eggman butt. She has no desire to weigh him down, she wants to run with him.

That may be what you say in your own mind, but it's never been the case in the games. Take games like Battle or Heroes for example. Amy is more interested in love and romance than fighting Eggman.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno if these are popular or unpopular but I'm gonna go ahead and say it anyway.

I'll never understand why people like SonAlly. Sally is extremely selfish when it comes to Sonic. Unlike Amy, Sally wants to tie Sonic down so he can cater to her needs. She wants to stop him from pursuing Eggman, taking away his freedom and what he loves doing.

I rarely post about Sonic, but I can be passionate when I want to be.

sonamy is popular and most sonamy fans dont understand why others dont ship her with Sonic or those who like Sally in general. yet its okay to ship Sonic with Blaze because shes Blaze ;p

I dont like sonamy because Amy is a self entitle brat who wants Sonic to marry her and have many kids with him. Most games she seems more into dating Sonic then anything. I hope and pray this isnt the case and they even srip the crush away. I want to see Amy leave Sonic alone. or be mature like she is in the comics. In the games and in Sonic X she only seems to care about Sonic doing everything for her and ges jalous when she thinks other girls like him.

so yes I am a sonally fan and I like it because they kick butt together. Sally is mature, Sonic is mature. She isnt selfish to me. (except in the slap scene). Sonic was only "tied" when he was king but he chose to marry her.

but thats my opinion. i respect yours.

Uh oh heres Light :D

Unpopular (maybe. it probably is) SA2 is the greasy 3D Sonic game.

Hear me out. The whole package while flawed can be enjoyable. I think the treasure hunting is a garbage gameplay objective but did you FEEL Knuckles control, oh, it was so superb. And I hate mech walking but their levels tend to be short bursts, like jam packing with unnecessary enemy placement. But overall everyone controlled great besides facking TAILS and everybody was really in tune story wisr also. Sonic made jokes that weren't pointless. Okay the helicopter joke but I liked that anyways. Please see Sonic Dissected 4-5 ish they tell what I'm trying to but better. It's not perfect but if the gameplay came back I'd feel Sonic just went five steps ahead to being great. Not the genre roulette but the gameplay. Exclude mech Tails add SA1 Tails.

(Thus no one respected my opinion again :P)

Maybe if the speed characters didn't control like crap and their levels were designed better, I might agree with you.

In terms of depth I think both SonAmy and SonSal are rather one note and clunky in execution.

SonAmy is just a one sided case with an unrequited schoolgirl crush (with the odd very subtle hint of being liked back). It's a cute gag, but that's mostly what it is, a gag.

SonSal is the old sitcom cliche where the female character is designated as the smarter, nicer and all around better person of the couple and always has to babysit the male character's flaws (or gets enabled when the writers accidentally make her as bad, to add onto Lhancat's issues, Sally has her own problems in her approach, but it's usually still treated as for the best, only having the odd very clunky token flawed moment when the audience complains too much).

Out of the two I think SonAmy is somewhat more tolerable, since Sonic can still be Sonic within his chemistry with Amy. Making his relationship with Sally have validity usually requires exagerrating his negative aspects just so Sally can be his Straight Man. Sonic at least isn't forgoing his own ideals to be Amy's king. Add to that SonAmy is a one note gag, but at least it treats it no higher, while SonSal puts a lot more pretentious drama into the ordeal and tries to make the pairing look more complex than it really is.

Unpopular opinion? Sonic Colours' level design is nowhere near as good as it's claimed to be especially in 3D.

This is not good level design;

tumblr_n1bff8rHTT1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

It’s ironic how this game is exulted for better 3D level design than, say, Unleashed when it’s so fixated with mediocre 2D that those ideals regarding design seep into the 3D sections even. These parts of level design are so utterly barren and straight that you wonder “Why bother incorporating it? Why are these sections in 3D when you’re not being given freedom to explore this plane and have been confined to what is effectively a corridor?” Doing this for the sake of eye candy is not a good justification for these parts of level design or excuses it. Good game design incorporates both good level design and spectacle at the same time.

This still stands-out to me as one of Colours’ biggest drawbacks next to it’s bad writing, it’s many overly short and gimmicky acts with many cheap deaths (Yellow spring missions can go die in a fire) and it’s lack of ambition.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry I can't agree, levels like Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp really do accel in the 2D areas for me and more then make up for the lackluster 3D. They're gigantic and sprawling and have so many ways you can go through it . I like having the option in Aquairum Park of beating the entire level above or below the water if I so choose.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, but I do wish that there was more 3d though. The game definitely seems like it was made strictly to be a 2d game more so than a 3d one (made evident by the fact that sonic has a gimped moveset unless he gets to a certain part of the level).

I don't think anyone really ever said the 3D sections in Colours were better, but that it was better overall because of the exploration and alternate paths. Colours is very much a 2D game with a small scattering of 3D sections, make no mistake, and it is very true that many of them are just going forward. But it's not for long stretches of time like in Unleashed (or Green Hill in Generations - every level after was more sprawling other than Crisis City which was almost entirely platforming).

The waterfall section in Aquarium Park was awesome though.

If you're saying that Colours had worse 3D sections than Unleashed, fine, but Colours is barely in 3D in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry I can't agree, levels like Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp really do accel in the 2D areas for me and more then make up for the lackluster 3D. They're gigantic and sprawling and have so many ways you can go through it . I like having the option in Aquairum Park of beating the entire level above or below the water if I so choose.

The 2D areas in Colours are boring and unimaginative. Absolutely zero fluidity. The same applies to the 2D parts of Unleashed and even Generations, and it's all due in part to their engines as well as the rubbish layouts. Colours is by far the worst offender though. 

• Thumbs Up 5