Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

The 2D areas in Colours are boring and unimaginative. Absolutely zero fluidity. The same applies to the 2D parts of Unleashed and even Generations, and it's all due in part to their engines as well as the rubbish layouts. Colours is by far the worst offender though. 

If you say so, ill still stick up for stages like Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp for being the contrary imo though, because believe it or not I can get a decent flow from them but w/e, these games just seem to get less and less favored by the day, lol.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2D areas in Colours are boring and unimaginative. Absolutely zero fluidity. The same applies to the 2D parts of Unleashed and even Generations, and it's all due in part to their engines as well as the rubbish layouts. Colours is by far the worst offender though. 

Nevermind this post.

I disagree to the fullest. After my first Sonic game being call city like and Sonuc Unleashed being also city like... Sonic Colors and Sonic 4 was a breath a fresh air for me and yeah I really love the design

Unpopular opinion? I think? Whatever.

Tone does not dictate the quality of a story.

So, I keep hearing people say they want more serious and darker storylines in the Sonic series. And, I can see why; dark stories are pretty awesome and I would love to see some more of this in the Sonic series - within reason, that is. (But that's whole 'nother can of of worms I'm not going to get into right now) But it seems to me like people don't seem to understand something about how stories work.

See, I see all these people advocating dark storylines for the series, but it certainly isn't often that I see them say much about the actual storytelling - you know, something that is highly important in pretty much any story out there?

I like dark stories. What I don't like is;

-Convoluted stories with plot holes up the ass

-Characters not having much of a purpose, if any, in the plot and are just thrown in for no good reason.

-Terrible pacing that makes the plot either move too fast, too slow, or not at all in some cases

-Characters who aren't, well, characterized in at least a decent way.

-Awful, forced dialogue

And so forth.

You can have a really dark story with lots of serious elements, but if the story isn't told well, then what's the point? The answer? There is none. At all.

Let me tell you something; Sonic and Black Knight has the distinction of having my favorite storyline of the series. No, I'm not joking, I am being fully serious. And let me give you a brief summary as to why;

First off, the plot isn't extremely difficult to follow. There are twists, sure (Merlinda being the true villain as an example), but they actually work with the story and don't create any major plot holes. And whatever plotholes the story may have, well, they're so small and insignificant that they barely detract from the quality- I can't even really think of one, to be perfectly honest. Plus, the pacing is well done and I never felt things were moving too fast or two slow. Twists are good - as long as they're written into the story well.

The characters had actual purposes in the storyline and are characterized pretty well actually (especially Sonic himself whose characterization I felt was especially good) and the dialogue certainly didn't make me cringe or thing like that. Stories should have well-characterized characters with actual justification for being a part of the story.

Yes, Black Knight isn't really that much of a dark story. In fact, I'd put it around the same level as Unleashed in terms of tone - a nice mixture of light and dark. Nothing too serious. But here's the thing;

It didn't need to be. All the story needed was to be written well. And it was.

And everything I said applies to light-hearted stories as well. See, the tone of a story can certainly benefit one, but really only if said story is actually written well.

Once again, a story being dark and serious doesn't make it good if the story itself isn't written or told well.

Tone doesn't dictate quality. Quality comes from good writing and storytelling.

Even though the Sonic Boom show won't have continuity in it, I do hope the characterization and writing does really well. From the trailer, it showed that it worked, but we still need more to find out for sure.

Oh, and I prefer Black Knight to Secret Rings. And Heroes to Unleashed HD. I also prefer Lost World to Adventure 2. Where are the shotguns?

• Thumbs Up 1

I also prefer Lost World to Adventure 2. Where are the shotguns?

My man. *high fives*

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular opinion? I think? Whatever.

Tone does not dictate the quality of a story.

So, I keep hearing people say they want more serious and darker storylines in the Sonic series. And, I can see why; dark stories are pretty awesome and I would love to see some more of this in the Sonic series - within reason, that is. (But that's whole 'nother can of of worms I'm not going to get into right now) But it seems to me like people don't seem to understand something about how stories work.

See, I see all these people advocating dark storylines for the series, but it certainly isn't often that I see them say much about the actual storytelling - you know, something that is highly important in pretty much any story out there?

I like dark stories. What I don't like is;

-Convoluted stories with plot holes up the ass

-Characters not having much of a purpose, if any, in the plot and are just thrown in for no good reason.

-Terrible pacing that makes the plot either move too fast, too slow, or not at all in some cases

-Characters who aren't, well, characterized in at least a decent way.

-Awful, forced dialogue

And so forth.

You can have a really dark story with lots of serious elements, but if the story isn't told well, then what's the point? The answer? There is none. At all.

Let me tell you something; Sonic and Black Knight has the distinction of having my favorite storyline of the series. No, I'm not joking, I am being fully serious. And let me give you a brief summary as to why;

First off, the plot isn't extremely difficult to follow. There are twists, sure (Merlinda being the true villain as an example), but they actually work with the story and don't create any major plot holes. And whatever plotholes the story may have, well, they're so small and insignificant that they barely detract from the quality- I can't even really think of one, to be perfectly honest. Plus, the pacing is well done and I never felt things were moving too fast or two slow. Twists are good - as long as they're written into the story well.

The characters had actual purposes in the storyline and are characterized pretty well actually (especially Sonic himself whose characterization I felt was especially good) and the dialogue certainly didn't make me cringe or thing like that. Stories should have well-characterized characters with actual justification for being a part of the story.

Yes, Black Knight isn't really that much of a dark story. In fact, I'd put it around the same level as Unleashed in terms of tone - a nice mixture of light and dark. Nothing too serious. But here's the thing;

It didn't need to be. All the story needed was to be written well. And it was.

And everything I said applies to light-hearted stories as well. See, the tone of a story can certainly benefit one, but really only if said story is actually written well.

Once again, a story being dark and serious doesn't make it good if the story itself isn't written or told well.

Tone doesn't dictate quality. Quality comes from good writing and storytelling.

PFFT, tell that to the critics and certain fan groups. They already believe that dark stories are the spawn of Satan even though Sonic Team (and the writers) has proven themselves to be just as bad at writing light stories. But it's a series about a blue hedgehog, so apparently terrible storytelling gets a pass if its lighthearted. /imad.

• Thumbs Up 3

PFFT, tell that to the critics and certain fan groups. They already believe that dark stories are the spawn of Satan even though Sonic Team (and the writers) has proven themselves to be just as bad at writing light stories. But it's a series about a blue hedgehog, so apparently terrible storytelling gets a pass if its lighthearted. /imad.

Forgive me if I sound grumpy myself, but could we please not start yet another debate about that? There have been enough arguments about that as it is.

• Thumbs Up 5

very unpopular opinion: i think Sonic Advence series is a shit game.

the level design sucks. everyones too slow. i loose momentum when i spindash expesicalyl in Sonic Advance 2 and 3 and everyone besides Sonic and Amy are boring to play as.

Oh! yes fanboys: I AM a skill Sonic player and NOT complaining about Amys gameplay. I am a damn good Sonic player.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you! Someone here who doesn't like the Advance series! Although I must confess, I actually enjoyed 1 and 2 to some extent, but 3. Ohh Advance 3 how I loathe thee. My main gripe with that game is the level design and choices they made with the gameplay. They improved a little from Advance 1 to 2, but once 3 came out, ugh don't get me started on how much they messed up. Everything about it. The speed, the partner characters, the level design, the special stages, the hub worlds. Everything about Advance 3 is just horrid. I talked about when I had just started posting in the forums. Although it may not be worded the best way, my opinions on it still haven't changed. 

I dunno, I found Sonic Advance to be pretty difficult, but it kind of has everything I wanted Sonic 4 to have. :C

• Thumbs Up 4

I admit most of Advance 1 except for Amy had a same-y quality (even if I still find that fun). It followed Pocket Adventure in being more a mish mash of the Genesis games than it's own unique one. Advance 2 and 3 tried different things, but with mixed results.

Outside maybe giving her that spin dash/peel out move to make acceleration easier, I actually wished the latter two hadn't altered Amy's gameplay to be so uniform with the others. I actually liked the rather different gameplay style in the first.

Unpopular: While 4Kids did make some gratuitous changes to Sonic X, I actually find it hard to blame them for a lot of edits in the pretentious third season. Cosmo's death was ridiculously grim and wangsty for a kids cartoon, and kinda felt superfluous. 4Kids took out a lot of the emotion, but not all of it. I still felt sorry for Tails without finding the whole ordeal extremely unsettling. Along with lots of other gratuitous dark or violent scenes (was there even reason to the Molly episode? It's not connected with anything), it actually felt like TMS was trolling 4Kids after what they did to the previous seasons.

The only Advance game I've ever played was three and it blew. How bout dem springs propelling you into spikes and horrific enemy placement straight out of Metropolis Zone, guys?

The only Advance game I've ever played was three and it blew. How bout dem springs propelling you into spikes and horrific enemy placement straight out of Metropolis Zone, guys?

Don't forget those crushing blocks! And how are those bottomless pits, by the way? But yeah I really don't know what they were smoking when they designed the levels for Advance 3. Maybe they got bored? Maybe they were just lazy and decided cheap=difficult and that gamers won't notice? Ugh, Dimps. Just Dimps.  

Along with lots of other gratuitous dark or violent scenes (was there even reason to the Molly episode? It's not connected with anything)

You know, you bring up a good point there. Was there an actual point in that episode besides giving Shadow a Maria expy to angst over when she gave up the ghost?

Don't forget those crushing blocks! And how are those bottomless pits, by the way? But yeah I really don't know what they were smoking when they designed the levels for Advance 3. Maybe they got bored? Maybe they were just lazy and decided cheap=difficult and that gamers won't notice? Ugh, Dimps. Just Dimps.  

Oh, and let's not forget those bosses. Those wonderful, wonderful bosses.

I will have the head of whoever designed the Twinkle Snow boss on a pike.

Oh, and let's not forget those bosses. Those wonderful, wonderful bosses.

I will have the head of whoever designed the Twinkle Snow boss on a pike.

You think Advance 3's bosses are bad? Oh lord wait 'till you see Advance 2's bosses when you're constantly running and have to avoid boss attacks while catching up to it and uuugggghhhhh. I don't think anyone likes those bosses. It's just why. Why would you have bosses that require you to constantly run and not mess up your jumps. It doesn't help that there are hills too, which screw up your momentum. It's just cheap.

• Thumbs Up 3

I have to admit the Sonic Advance games are certainly not my cup of tea. The only one I've played all the through and beaten with all Chaos Emeralds is the first game and that's my favourite too! I've played Advance 2 and only managed to play Cream's story with all the Emeralds. Then I saw I had to collect all the Emeralds with every...single...character. WHAAAAAT. As for Sonic Advance 3, I played the first level on the emulator and gave up straight away because I didn't know what the hell I was doing. =|

And I don't know what the hell happened at Dimps after Sonic Advance 1!

As for Sonic Advance 3, I played the first level on the emulator and gave up straight away because I didn't know what the hell I saw doing. =|

This. This is my main gripe with the game. I cannot express how much I hate this game because they changed the game from a level to level design to adding hub worlds and collecting... Chao? Seriously this wasn't any game you could just pick up and play. The game assumed you had a manual and if you didn't, then good luck trying to figure out what the hell to do. Nothing is explained. The Chao, the hub worlds, the partners, nothing!

There is no indication as to where you have to go and using the partner characters was a nightmare when you didn't have the manual explaining the controls. For the first time in my life, I had to resort to Sonic Retro, find scans of the manual and read through them. The game has an in-game tutorial but that doesn't explain squat. At least Omochao was helpful in Adventure 2 and Generations for new players. I really don't get why they made the game so complicated and hard to understand.

Sure, now I get how to play but even then the entire system is such a turn off and it's just so unpleasant to play. 

Actually, the game does tell you all that stuff if you talk to the (chao I think) in the hub, they explain parners and everything, also I don't really see much of the cheapness in advance 3 much, its actually my favorite in the series (second would be the first one) I mean, I will admit stages like chaos angel and that snow level boss was hard but besides that I thought it was pretty fair especially since the partner system (especially if you have tails as a partner) makes it pretty forgiving if you accidently fall and were charging up before hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

This. This is my main gripe with the game. I cannot express how much I hate this game because they changed the game from a level to level design to adding hub worlds and collecting... Chao? Seriously this wasn't any game you could just pick up and play. The game assumed you had a manual and if you didn't, then good luck trying to figure out what the hell to do. Nothing is explained. The Chao, the hub worlds, the partners, nothing!

There is no indication as to where you have to go and using the partner characters was a nightmare when you didn't have the manual explaining the controls. For the first time in my life, I had to resort to Sonic Retro, find scans of the manual and read through them. The game has an in-game tutorial but that doesn't explain squat. At least Omochao was helpful in Adventure 2 and Generations for new players. I really don't get why they made the game so complicated and hard to understand.

Sure, now I get how to play but even then the entire system is such a turn off and it's just so unpleasant to play. 

Those Omochao are there for a reason...even if it s not a good one. I never really found the Hub worlds hard to traverse through, but they shouldn't have made them the way they did, its too complicated for no reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im so happy that Im not the only dumbass who hates this game. Because this game has alot of fanboys especially Sonic Advance 1 because of Amy. Say that her gameplay sucks and your skills will be insult by the fanboys

Im so happy that Im not the only dumbass who hates this game. Because this game has alot of fanboys especially Sonic Advance 1 because of Amy. Say that her gameplay sucks and your skills will be insult by the fanboys

Well, let's be fair now: if you voice your complaints in a unnecessarily provocative way like that, of course you'll receive a response like that. No one -- I repeat, no one -- likes being told that the thing they like is bad when it's phrased like someone's trying to start a fight with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, let's be fair now: if you voice your complaints in a unnecessarily provocative way like that, of course you'll receive a response like that. No one -- I repeat, no one -- likes being told that the thing they like is bad when it's phrased like someone's trying to start a fight with them.

But I never said it sucks. I like it. But other people have said it did and they got yelled at. If you dont master Amys game play or you hate it then your not a skilled Sonic player. I cant tell you much that annoys me