Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

This is actually canon. :U

I thought it was just a fan thing or something (sorry for not believing you JaiRo).

I know it's little text, but dude...

No hard feelings, just read the whole post next time.

EDIT: I believe the source is in either the Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles instruction manual.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's little text, but dude...

No hard feelings, just read the whole post next time.

EDIT: I believe the source is in either the Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles instruction manual.

I've read the bios in both the manuals, but I haven't come a cross the explanation to his gliding. Granted, I'm referring to the US manual, so it could be in the others.

According to Wikipedia, it's from his 2007 Sonic Channel biography. Though I could swear it was from another form of media, but it's 6:00AM here and I have neither the time nor energy to continue searching. I think it may have been one of the Japanese manuals.

I'll edit the post when I get home if I find something.

EDIT: Looked into it a bit more, it's definitely canon in the Archie comics universe. It was either in one of the first few issues or the first Knuckles special. I just read it recently. I'll keep looking though.

Popular opinion? SatSR has quite a few aspects that are remarkably similar to some of SONIC '06's. Except it actually does them right.

Sonic's and Shahra's character relationship bears some similarities to Sonic's and Elise's in that one character is an emotional crutch for the other. The difference with SatSR is that it's not shoved down our throats with a cringeworthy romantic subtext attached to it and, unlike Elise, Shahra's plight is elaborated-upon in a subtle and well-done way and Sonic is characterized extremely well in relation to it unlike the plank of wood that stood-in for him in '06.

Mephiles/Solaris and Erazor want to garner seven objects in order to exact revenge upon and erase the world. Except unlike Mephiles, Erazor manages to exact his plans by manipulating the characters intelligently and capitalizing upon the advantages he has over them. Characters are morphed into complete morons in order for Mephiles' plan to work and Mephiles himself is a complete dumbass.

Shahra and Elise have a kind of symbiotic relationship with the main antagonists. Except Shahra's comes-about as a result of having her loyalities towards a former lover/friend toyed-with whilst Elise's is just stupid and unbelievable, one reason being that it's hard to believe that she didn't cry in 10 years.

A character dies and their death has a profound effect upon the narrative. Except Shahra's demise came-about obviously as a result of Sonic's treatment towards her and has a very well done influence on the plot that worked in Sonic's favor as well as being quite sad whilst Sonic's demise was absolutely ridiculous, narmtastic and couldn't have been worser pulled-off.

• Thumbs Up 6

Mephiles/Solaris and Erazor want to garner seven objects in order to exact revenge upon and erase the world. Except unlike Mephiles, Erazor manages to exact his plans by manipulating the characters intelligently and capitalizing upon the advantages he has over them. Characters are morphed into complete morons in order for Mephiles' plan to work and Mephiles himself is a complete dumbass.

I do question why Mephiles didn't just fuse with Iblis in Silver's timeline and become Solaris again right there and then if that was his ultimate goal all along, and his methods of convincing Shadow to join his cause are laughable too. If it's supposed to have been set in time all along that when Shadow and SIlver would travel back in time thus allowing Shadow to seal up Mephiles, there's very weird inconsistency in how exactly the whole 'vengeance scheme' works for Mephiles. First he sends Shadow to the future to essentially condemn him, and then he tries the whole 'humanity is cruel, let us punish them' trick in a time period where humanity is already mostly extinct due to Iblis' rampage.

I suppose what Erazor Djinn doesn't succeed at in comparison to Mephiles is becoming a full god as Sonic absorbs 3 of the other World Rings before the final battle, but that's all I can think of, and I would definetely agree Erazor Djinn was a much more cunning and manipulative one-time villain.

Popular opinion? SatSR has quite a few aspects that are remarkably similar to some of SONIC '06's. Except it actually does them right.

Sonic's and Shahra's character relationship bears some similarities to Sonic's and Elise's in that one character is an emotional crutch for the other. The difference with SatSR is that it's not shoved down our throats with a cringeworthy romantic subtext attached to it and, unlike Elise, Shahra's plight is elaborated-upon in a subtle and well-done way and Sonic is characterized extremely well in relation to it unlike the plank of wood that stood-in for him in '06.

One more parallel:

At the end of SatSR, Sonic lets Shahra cry as much as she needs to.

At the end of Sonic '06, Sonic emotionlessly tells Elise to "just smile".

I mean, poor Elise was forced to repress her emotions since she was a child. Now that she desperately wants to let herself go, and she needs a pep talk, Sonic just waves everything off and tells her to "just smile".

I know that putting out the flame and restoring the space-time continuum was more important, but I expected Sonic to be more... emphatic towards Elise.

Unpopular: I don't care about multiple playable characters

Unpopular: I don't even like Silver and Blaze interacting. their relationship dumbs down the characters too much and I don't see why this pairing is so popular. 

Unpopular: I like Sonic better when he's a mute character, or atleast have a bit dialogue here and there.

Unpopular: I can't be the only one who thinks Roger's voice for Sonic sounds like he's shouting all the time?

*hides my Silver/Blaze and Tails/Amy t-shirts*

Unpopular opinion: I really like Jet the Hawk. Hes on my top 10  list.

240px-Jet-sonic-free-riders--signature.p

Why do I like him? I like his cocky attitude. I like cocky characters when its deserved and he deserves it for being really good on extreme gears. But it doesnt mean hes another Sonic. Yes hes laid back and most times he doesnt take his responsiblties seriously like the other two rouges. Theres really no room to fail but at the same time he eases up at the end like in Sonic Free Riders. The cool thing about Jet is that for one his name was suppose to be Wind. I think both fit but yeah, I though it was cool.

Another cool thing about him is that hes greedy and he will take anything thats vaulable. Kind of like Rouge but with any treasure. But most times it can get him in trouble with Dr Eggman and such. Another thing.... hes 14 but he knows how to rule over 2 adult characters. Sometimes he can be super bossy but at the end of the day he cares about his team member in a moral point. Sometimes even praising them and value their service.

I think one of the best things about this character is that hes Sonics only rival. Not only is he Sonics only rival but hes the only one who has a straight rival goal. Most of Sonics "rivals" want to be better then him in everything, Jet just wants to be faster then him. He doesnt care about being more powerful then him of being more skill in homing attacks. Jet wants to be the fastest thing alive and wont stop until he is. That type of rivaly can lead to funny moments like Jet being hyper and sometimes a klutz. But he can also be sad when Sonic doesnt want to race him like in Sonic Riders and Zero Gravity or if he thinks something isnt fair.

More on being a rival Jet is one of Sonics more intresting rivals. He actually enjoys the thrill of racing Sonic and the though if actually beating him and respects him as a racer. Sometimes he can be jealous of the blue dude because hes a fast learner. Lets not forget that he doesnt care about racing others. Jet knows hes more skilled then Sonics friends... he only cares about racing Sonic as said in Sonic Free Riders. I like when rivals can acklowged that one is better then the other in something, even if it kills them to say it, and thats why I like the Sonic and Jet rivalry better.

The last awesome thing about Jet is that hes all about being fair. He doesnt need dirty tricks to be better. Remember that scene in Sonic Riders where Jets teamate put the bomb under Sonics board making it explode? Jet.... didnt know that was the case, he though he really beat Sonic. But at then end with Sonic gave him the cube, he had a look of sadness because during that race to get Eggman, Jet didnt win... Sonic did. So it wasnt right for him to have the prize. In Sonic Free Riders when you play as the Babylon Rouges.... when you race Team Sonic and they complain about their gear.... Jet got upset at his teamates for messing with their gear so that they can win. The boss doesnt need dirty tricks to win. He wants a good honest clean victory. Thats why I also like him as a rival and a character.

So yeah I really like Jet the Hawk. Oh and did I mention I really like his excitement when he learns about his ansestors??

• Thumbs Up 1

hes Sonics only rival.

I'm not gonna argue with your opinion (for the record, I'm indifferent to Jet for the most part), but I want to make it clear that Jet is far from Sonic's only rival. He's got Metal Sonic, Shadow, Johnny, Silver and Knuckles. If you really want to be loose with the term, I guess we could throw in Eggman as well.

So yeah, Jet may be one of the more "active" rivals, but he's far from being the only one. Just putting that out there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd definitely say Jet is the most active rival compared to Metal Sonic and Shadow, but yeah, saying he's the only rival Sonic has had is completely false.

I should have say "true rival"

In my opinion Silver and Knuckles arent rivals. They wanted to beat Sonic out of misguided reasons. Knuckles because hes trick by Dr Eggman, Silver he was trick by Mephiles. Knuckles and Sonic are now best friends. I guess this one is unpopular opinion but I really dont think Shadow was a rival to begin with. He didnt even know there was someone who look hi him until they first fight. Shadow fought Sonic because he was a speedbump in his plans. Later games he doesnt give a damn about being better then Sonic. He just sees him as a pain. I though Johnny was a arch enemy of Blaze?

Metal Sonic is one that comes close, so I forgot about him. I want him to come back as his rival even though hes on my dislike list

I should have say "true rival"

No no no, don't say that. That'll get you a bit more heat than you want.

You could just say Jet's more of an actual rival to Sonic while the others haven't had much of a rivalry with him.

but someone else had said in a article on SSMB but they also though he was the only rival.

Another unpopular opinion: Sometimes I dont know why they put Silver as a rival battle in Sonic Generations over Jet. I mean I love Silver more then Jet hes my 3rd favorite character but I make me upset that they put him over Jet when he was more of a rival then both Shadow and Silver. Silvers' as much of a rival as Knuckles.

Call him the only rival that still opposes Sonic then. Just avoid calling him Sonic's "true" rival, as that seems to be a bit of a dirty word to some people.

EDIT: Had to reword that to make it clear, because you had already called him "Sonic's only rival" and got flak for it. XD

but someone else had said in a article on SSMB but they also though he was the only rival.

Another unpopular opinion: Sometimes I dont know why they put Silver as a rival battle in Sonic Generations over Jet. I mean I love Silver more then Jet hes my 3rd favorite character but I make me upset that they put him over Jet when he was more of a rival then both Shadow and Silver. Silvers' as much of a rival as Knuckles.

Sonic Riders isn't a main series games, Generations' main focus was the main series games and any spin-offs only get a small reference or music track.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in good terms with Jet and the other rogues.

Jet is defintely the only active rival to Sonic and I would like it that way, depending on if they're going to continue to Riders series though. But I like the Rogues since despite of their differences, they're pretty much family and it's nice when you see how all three are, it's a nice and warm feeling

Hmm...

- Sonic '06 was enjoyable! ^^

- Jason Griffith was Sonic's best voice actor.

- Sonic's "Golden Age" was the Adventure games.

- Sonic X was amazing, should have continued.

- Classic Sonics are overrated, so so much.

How's that? :D

Hmm...

How's that? biggrin.png

The answer is...With or Without detail?

Classic Sonic games Overrated...what exactly in or surrounding the games are bad enough to make you say that?

Hmm...

How's that? biggrin.png

I disagree with point 2 and 3.

Sonics current english voice actor to me is the best Sonic. he makes Sonic sound young but so much personality.

I think Sonics golden age was the modern games like Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 etc etc. Sonic was actually a focus and the games has much passion.

I like Sonic 1 on the Master System. It's a good little game. Sure, it's very simplistic, but it feels like it's very traditional platforming without losing any of the pace.

I also like exploring the levels for the Chaos Emeralds as they are nowhere near as obnoxious as in Sonic 2 Game Gear. The bosses are nothing special but pretty fun, and the boss music is pretty sweet. Speaking of the music, the soundtrack is really good for such a low quality sound system thanks to Yuzo Koshiro (of Streets of Rage fame) and his genius compositions. I really wish this version of Scrap Brain got a remix in another game, but it never will as the MS/GG games are irrelevant.

I also feel like Scrap Brain and Sky Base are both really climatic levels, almost as much as the original Scrap Brain, if you compare the power of the consoles anyway. Sky Base has three very different acts, where you go from the support structures, to the outside of the ship, to the inside of the ship for the final battle. This is some insanely cinematic stuff for a Master System game. Most of the other airship levels are in sunny skies, but this one is all stormy and rainy and dark, I love it.

It's not an amazing game, or the best experience of my life or such bullshit, but it's a fun little game and does quite a few things well and differentiates itself from the Mega Drive classic really well. It's also really challenging, but not in the blatantly unfair way that Sonic 2 is.

Oh, and I like the world map thing between levels too, really cool touch that later games would use too.

• Thumbs Up 2

I too liked Sonic 1 8-bit. The game itself wasn't mind blowing but it's pretty good. The music, despite being short, is very catchy and I'm pretty sure a lot of people are aware about Bridge Zone's music! I too like the idea of finding Chaos Emeralds hidden in the levels. Overall, it's a simple yet fun game.

If we're going to talk about old Game Gear games I might get alot of flak for saying this, but Sonic Labyrinth wasn't that horribly bad of a game. Sure, the whole gameplay doesn't exactly suit Sonic, but the game isn't like incredibly cryptic to get through or suffers from broken controls or glitches that causes you to die repeatedly. If you just took your time with the spindash revving and watched the speed arrows to determine how fast you'd go, you'd generally travel fairly fast over the terrain. The only problem I would definetely agree with would be that the first and final boss might put you in danger of dying if you're not too cautious, but generally Labyrinth isn't that bad of a game as most fans tend to make a deal out of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be honest yeah, Labyrinth isn't as bad but it isn't good either. The music is decent at best but the only song i can remember is that 3 second jingle when title card comes. It's short so the pain doesn't last as long but I just don't like it at all. This game is the slowest Sonic has ever been.

Another unpopular opinion, I didn't think Sonic 2 GG was hard. It's challenging yes but it's definitely not the hardest Sonic game ever. I mean the first boss can be pretty simple to beat once you know where the balls are coming from. It's just another trial and error game, like any other platformer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from one incredibly cryptic moment that is nearly impossible to figure out without a walkthrough, I thought Labyrinth was an all right game and not really the terrible game that many people make it out to be.  I mean, as a Sonic game it definitely falls short, but as a short puzzle game, I think it serves its purpose.  It's just a short little game that you can beat in about an hour and for what it is, it's really well constructed.  It's not particularly glitchy, nor do I feel like the controls were constantly betraying me.  The music was iffy, but it wasn't Chronicles level of terrible.

So yeah, Labyrinth is just a fun little game.  I wouldn't pay full price for it, but as a short, somewhat amusing puzzle game, it's nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't know about anyone else...but my main problem with Labrynth was how boring and bland it was. The control is fine, I found it a bit slippery but it wasn't the main problem. It just didn't strike me as an interesting game, the levels weren't really fun to go through, I also didn't like how much Sonic bounced around when hitting a wall...that was just annoying.