Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I can't see Sonic taking a break for a few years, he's literally the main thing that's keeping Sega afloat in the US, so going 3-5 years without a mainline Sonic title would be disconcerning.

Although, with Boom taking up reigns, this might give Sonic Team the chance they need to actually buckle down. Time will tell.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not denying that more time can only be beneficial to a project, but if they're not focused on the right kind of work, it's going to turn out terrible, regardless.  For example, if the controls are a problem, those are only going to be fixed if they take the proper precautions to actually fix them.  If the actual execution that they're going for is terrible in and of itself, it won't matter how much time is put into it.  It's going to come out terrible, regardless.

Again, I think having more time might do good for the series, but only if that time is put to good use.

And sometimes that's not always the case; you get a good project, end result is actually great...only for it to do bad in the market.

And then there's development hell, where you have all the time you need only for it to go no where...

I don't think that's unpopular. I think people would like Sonic to have a long break as things can get organized.

However, with Sonic being a cash cow, that's easier said than done. It should also be noted that some of these projects were already under development for at least a year or two before getting revealed.

I think it's gotten to the point where everybody just accepted the fact that its a new sonic game that they don't care anymore and just get hyped regardless

Who actually complains that Mario gets a platformer title every year?

In regards to Call of Duty, I don't play the series, but I think the complaint there is not that a game is released every year, but that every game feels almost exactly the same as the previous installation.  The same complaints could probably be said for Mario, but I think the reception for those tends to be fairly favorable in spite of it.

As for Sonic, though, I think it was once a popular notion that Sonic should release games less often, as though quality is inherently tied to the amount of time put into it and not the quality of work that's actually put into it.

Most of the criticism that mario gets are from Nintendo fans that want a new installment that wants them to use other IP's and the fact that the magic where's thin if they get a new installment every year

And sometimes that's not always the case; you get a good project, end result is actually great...only for it to do bad in the market.

And then there's development hell, where you have all the time you need only for it to go no where...

That is definitely a sad but true case.  I can't help but feel sorry for the development team working on a project, spending weeks upon weeks, sometimes years upon years, of time and effort into a project only for it to be canceled or put on "hiatus" only to be ultimately forgotten about.  Even if it's not a game I think I'd particularly like, it must be horrible seeing all the fruits of your labor put to waste.

Most of the criticism that mario gets are from Nintendo fans that want a new installment that wants them to use other IP's and the fact that the magic where's thin if they get a new installment every year

I can empathize with wanting a new installment in some of their other IP's.  I'd like a new F-Zero game or a new Star Fox game that is actually good*, but I don't think that the annual Mario is what gets in the way of that as much as the lack of market demand.  Or at least, the perceived lack of market demand from Nintendo.  As for the "magic wearing thin," I honestly don't get that?  Maybe it's because I'm a childish brat and still have a sense of whimsy, but opening a new game for me is still a super exciting thing for me.

It's not like Mario was ever an IP that we were unsure if we'd ever hear from again.  As far back as I can remember, I always knew Mario games would be made, rather I bought them or not.  So it's not like their release schedule has ever been so rare that part of the rush and appeal was savoring the scarcity of the product.

* Actually good based on my standards.  I understand some people don't agree with them.

very unpoular: I wanted to expend a little on this. I dont care about playable friends. But... I will never ever understand and fully understand why people want this:

Sonic_the_hedgehog_2006_by_sonic75619.jp

tumblr_mqg0xlW4Dw1r9zabzo1_400.gif

back?? think about it... you were force to play with playable friends in both games, Sonic 2006 you has to play at randome times. Sonic Adventure 2 had gameplays that were wayy different that most people only like Sonic and Shadow (I only liked Eggman and Sonic in the game and Sonic and Silver in Sonic 2006). What do we know about Sonic Boom? Well... the game is going to have co-op everywhere. So your forced to play as another friend and in randome times it looks like. All 4 are going to be in the speeds sections and have a part in the boss fights.  My point is that co-op is all in the game they say and because of it you cant just play as one to the end. Its Co-op! Co-op! So the only reason people want this because PLAYABLE FRIENDS!! OMGZ but you guys complain about these two games all the time... so arent you a little worry the same thing will happen? or are you going to tell me to get over it? 

And I dont hate the idea of playable friends. many people think I do and think Im a hater but Im not I like them when they are optinal. like Sonic Advance. The game is shit but I like how you can chose a friend and play as them to the end. I want that. If you are sick and tired of looking at Sonic thne dont fucking look at him. play as someone else. The game has the option the others dont have that. I want optinal. Play as Sonic until the end and I dont have to play as everyone else.

And I dont hate the idea of playable friends. many people think I do and think Im a hater but Im not I like them when they are optinal. like Sonic Advance. The game is shit but I like how you can chose a friend and play as them to the end. I want that. If you are sick and tired of looking at Sonic thne dont fucking look at him. play as someone else. The game has the option the others dont have that. I want optinal. Play as Sonic until the end and I dont have to play as everyone else.

People aren't asking for the characters to be forced onto them. That's why these same people criticize Sonic 06 and SA2 (SA2 has other reasons for people liking it).

They want them to be fun and optional with a unique playstyle that Sonic doesn't offer. 

Now some people are asking for games like Sonic 06 back, and that I don't have a solid answer for. (or at least a nice one)

• Thumbs Up 8

People aren't asking for the characters to be forced onto them. That's why these same people criticize Sonic 06 and SA2 (SA2 has other reasons for people liking it).

They want them to be fun and optional with a unique playstyle that Sonic doesn't offer. 

Now some people are asking for games like Sonic 06 back, and that I don't have a solid answer for. (or at least a nice one)

but co-op =/= optinal characters. they are doing the exact same thing but I bring this up and it get "get over itttttttttttttttttttt" comment. Im not sure about co-op so...

Opinion: I don't like the japanese script of Sonic Lost World. In fact, I despise it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhsVVPYEDo#t=1842

A quick comparison.

Eng!Amy:-It's too late for us, Sonic... Save the world and kick some butts for all of us... I'm sorry I never got to say... *dies*

Jap!Amy: -I'm sorry... I guess my time is slowly running out... I want to tell you that I... from the bottom of my heart... *dies*

Clearly Eng!Amy knows that the priorities are the saving of the world and the defeat of the villains, and she leaves the love declaration for last.

Jap!Amy instead only talks about herself (and the fact that she dies after she has wasted all of those words to say I love you is kind of comical tongue.png )

While Jap!Tails keeps rubbing salt on Sonic's wound even after he apologized...

Jap!Tails: -Oh, anyway, I managed to recode the system so we could return our world's energy! And that also clearly shows why you should choose me over Eggman, as you can see!

And Jap!Sonic himself, who seems to not understand what the "Tails will become a robot" means...

Jap!Zavok: -Once we finish remodeling him as a robot, I'll return him to you...

Jap!Sonic: -What did you say?!

...not even when he has RoboTails right in front of him!

Jap!Sonic: -You... what did you do to Tails!

Jap!Zeena: -Oh? We transformed him into a very obedient robot.

I actually like Lost World's story. Hooray for mixed opinions!

Well Pontac and Graff can actually write the story and not just writing filler dialogues. The chracterization between Sonic, Tails and Eggman are well writen. The Deadly Six actually get shit done and have a peronality unlike other MotW, sure they can be rather steroetypical but they can be quite the threat together for sure! And Amy actually talks to Sonic normally without coming off as a fangirl. Sure she sounds kind of like a damsel in a sense but it's sort of in the right direction. Knuckles didn't do jack shit in the game so there's that and the ending is a bit lacking but it's one of the good stories the series have, it might not have been perfect but still better than Colors or Generations, that's a fact!

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 6

Hooray for mixed opinions!

Wait wait, I like it too!

I was talking about how the japanese version completely ruined the characterizations..

I like it too. I was talking about how the japanese version completely changed the characterizations

Oh I was quite aware of that. Yeah, that's probably my issue with Japanese related stuff. The characters have little to no personality and they become bland as bread.

I kind of have to disagree with some of that, from a personal point of view. ^^

Really, I don't think we get enough Sonic games as it is. I wouldn't mind if they made more Sonic games than they have been lately.

I know with more games comes less quality, but Sonic Dash has been keeping me fairly occupied lately along with some Adventure HD ports, even little Sonic things can keep me going.

I mean, I've actually gotten out of Sonic a time or two due to how little content there was. I mean, a fan can only re-watch Sonic X so many times, along with replaying the Sonic Adventures and whatnot.

Possibly unpopular opinion:

DS Colors had an okay script, toning down the atrocious one liners of the Wii version and also getting some amusing interaction in with the extra side missions (Cubot obliviously admitting to ruining Eggman's device in the DS version came off as a lot funnier than doing his gangster speak in the Wii version's matching cutscene). Yakker's translated conversation with the others for the final ending was also pretty cute.

• Thumbs Up 2

Possibly unpopular opinion:

DS Colors had an okay script, toning down the atrocious one liners of the Wii version and also getting some amusing interaction in with the extra side missions (Cubot obliviously admitting to ruining Eggman's device in the DS version came off as a lot funnier than doing his gangster speak in the Wii version's matching cutscene). Yakker's translated conversation with the others for the final ending was also pretty cute.

How is this unpopular, the DS script is far better than the Wii version. It really cut off a lot of the stupid translator jokes while still having the lightheartedness. It was also nice seeing the entire main cast in the missions and got a nice chuckle out of the cutscenes.

I actually do like Colours DS gameplay better than the Wii version. The use of the Rush gameplay made it feel more Sonic-y than the neutered Day-Unleashed with blocky platforming.

If "neutered day Unleashed" means that Sonic doesn't control like a wet bar of soap ice skating, I'll gladly take it over the actual Unleashed stages. Blocky platforming included.

Speaking of which, here's an unpopular opinion I guess: I have never had a problem with 2D sections in the boost games. Ever. Lost World is probably the first game where a 2D section has actively pissed me off.

If "neutered day Unleashed" means that Sonic doesn't control like a wet bar of soap ice skating, I'll gladly take it over the actual Unleashed stages. Blocky platforming included.

Of which I'm thankful they fixed in Generations.

Multiple Sonic games a year isn't enough for you?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's just the little spaces we've been having in between that are bummers, you know?

Like, we had Generations in 2011, then Lost World in 2013, but nothing really Sonic exclusive in between.

Sure we had games like Sonic Jump and All Stars Racing, but I don't really consider Jump to be a big enough Sonic game, it's not really that fun to me. And All Stars Racing isn't really Sonic, he's just part of it.

I don't mean to sound so crude, just wish I had some bigger Sonic games to play often. Lost World wasn't really all that, and it's supposed to hold us over until Boom comes out, which will be the end of this year, or sometime next year.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It's just the little spaces we've been having in between that are bummers, you know?

Like, we had Generations in 2011, then Lost World in 2013, but nothing really Sonic exclusive in between.

Except Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Sonic Team spends pretty much most if not all of their development time on Sonic games, asking for more games to be released is asking a lot really. Its pretty much asking them to rush the games out, not really caring for the obvious quality droppage in doing so...and Sonic games recently aren't of the highest quality to begin with even if they can still be somewhat enjoyable.

Quality over Quantity...enough said.

I actually like Lost World's story. Hooray for mixed opinions!

Well Pontac and Graff can actually write the story and not just writing filler dialogues. The chracterization between Sonic, Tails and Eggman are well writen. The Deadly Six actually get shit done and have a peronality unlike other MotW, sure they can be rather steroetypical but they can be quite the threat together for sure! And Amy actually talks to Sonic normally without coming off as a fangirl. Sure she sounds kind of like a damsel in a sense but it's sort of in the right direction. Knuckles didn't do jack shit in the game so there's that and the ending is a bit lacking but it's one of the good stories the series have, it might not have been perfect but still better than Colors or Generations, that's a fact!

Same here! It wasn't amazing, but I really liked the characterization of Sonic, Tails and Dr Eggman. True the Deadly Six were just animu archetypes but they were hella funny and I like their designs! Very unique for Sonic games. Flaws include a lame ending, Knuckles and Amy doing jackshit (though at least Knuckles wasn't the clown), but this was as a whole a lot better than Sonic Colours and especially Sonic Generations' story.

I also agree that the Japanese script is boring and sounds very uninteresting. I mean they're really good seiyuu but the script is so bland.

• Thumbs Up 8

but co-op =/= optinal characters. they are doing the exact same thing but I bring this up and it get "get over itttttttttttttttttttt" comment. Im not sure about co-op so...

Co-op can equal optional characters depending on how you implement it. Co-op doesn't, or rather shouldn't, have to force you to play other characters, it should allow you to the option of playing it by yourself or with another player.

People who tell you to "get over it" are only saying such because they can't offer an actual argument over this and just want to silence you from disagreeing with them, so pay no mind to them.