Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Unpopular? I actually like the Treasure hunting in SA2. Besides a few I found it enjoyable to listen to "Knuckles" being back and ready to kick some but in Wild Canyon. Well maybe I should rephrase that. I like Hero-Side treasure hunting stage.

Unpopular? Sonic adventure games GAMEPLAY felt the best and most like "classics in 3D". Not the characters objectives / genre roulette but the actual Control of each charater.

• Thumbs Up 5

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular? I actually like the Treasure hunting in SA2. Besides a few I found it enjoyable to listen to "Knuckles" being back and ready to kick some but in Wild Canyon. Well maybe I should rephrase that. I like Hero-Side treasure hunting stage.

Unpopular? Sonic adventure games GAMEPLAY felt the best and most like "classics in 3D". Not the characters objectives / genre roulette but the actual Control of each charater.

While I prefer the treasure hunting in SA1, I wholeheartedly agree with you that SA1 had the best control of al all the games save Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Sonic Adventure:

I don't think SA1 was a good transition into 3D. Besides the glitches and twitchyness of the controls, it didn't do enough to make Sonic feel comfortable in a 3D space. Others may say it's better because it's the classic gameplay in 3D, I say that's why I don't like it. It was JUST the classics in 3D. They could have done more than to just slap the classic playstyle into a 3D space, like trying to expand on Sonic's moveset.

Speaking of the Adventures...

Unpopular Opinion: I actually find the shooting stages (ya know, Gamma, Tails & Eggman parts) likable. Sure they deviate from the 'core' Sonic gameplay, but for what it was I found myself to enjoy them. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Cough. Light speed dash and attack? Homing attack. Plus it was their first try of truly making the jump to 3D.

(I don't count R and Jam and etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not, but considering nobody really cares about arms, here goes:

I don't mind anything at all about Sonic Boom (Even Buffles looks great now) except for Sonic's blue arms, which truly irk me.

Cough. Light speed dash and attack? Homing attack. Plus it was their first try of truly making the jump to 3D.

(I don't count R and Jam and etc.)

I was thinking on more of how Sonic moves. Things like drifting or parkor.

I really don't like the drifting mechanic.  One thing I will always admire about SA1 and 2 (things which I feel should not be something you admire a game for) is the fact that Sonic is able to move left, right, forward, backward, diagonal and any direction in between with little hassle.  Colors and Generations made the drifting a lot less of a burden, but I still prefer the ability to turn seamlessly without the use of a drift feature.

I will say this, however... the drifting feature is kind of charming when you think of its overall implications on Sonic's character.  Sonic is so fast that even he struggles to move fluidly at such speeds.  I don't know why, but the thought that he has to skid when approaching a turn is sort of amusing to me.

• Thumbs Up 5

I was thinking on more of how Sonic moves. Things like drifting or parkor.

Drifting...that's not exactly a good way to expand Sonic's move pool...it adds nothing to how Sonic controls in those games and its pretty useless outside of the Boost trilogy. Parkour is just a way to manually do something that Sonic could already do from the start...the extra wall jumping feature could've also been done before had they thought about it.

As Sonic's first real 3D game, Sonic Adventure is a perfectly fine example of making the transition from 2D to 3D...the execution wasn't outstanding but it does its job good enough. You don't experiment with new abilities and such because you're making the jump, you do it because you see that you successfully made the jump...then you can risk the addition of changing the game-play.

• Thumbs Up 3

Popular opinion: You know what I find I really good scene from the series?

The opening cinematic of Sonic Unleashed.

Oh, where do I start?

Has there ever been another opening in the series that has come close to the sheer scale of greatness that this one reaches? Not to me.

The way Eggman suddenly ceases his exultant laughter when he notices the hedgehog has arrived, complete with a giant blaze behind him and how he orders everything to fire on him before getting into a mech himself really shows how much the doctor considered Sonic a threat. How Sonic so effortlessly avoids all the firepower that comes at him was nothing short of badass. Even when it seems that Eggman has gotten an advantage by grabbing him with his mech, Sonic used the Chaos Emeralds to turn into Super Sonic and break free from the grasp! And the way he pretty much lays waste to Eggman's fleet was simply awesome.

But Sonic's own arrogant nature gets in the way as he is deprecating Eggman, allowing the doctor the perfect chance to turn this to his advantage while the hedgehog is distracted. Cue Sonic getting trapped... and then hit with powerful electric rays that freaking suck the emeralds' power out of him!

Let that run through your head people - Eggman defeated Super Sonic. Not many characters attest to that accomplishment.

And while Eggman continues to electrocute Sonic the world is freaking broken apart. And not only that, we get our first glimpses of Dark Gaia, interchanged with shots of Sonic transforming into the Werehog. - my god, this was such an awesome opening.

The high quality of the CGI and the wonderfully composed music do nothing but add greatly to an already fantastic scene. Unleashed's opening cinematic positively drips of a sense of splendor that is going to be very hard to top.

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't know if this opinion can be called "popular" or not, but I really like Eggman's Sonic Boom redesign. I think it serves as a good halfway point between his classic and modern designs, and he manages to look imposing while still being a hammy goofball.

Hugely unpopular opinion, apparently: I did not care for the Chao Gardens in the Adventure series. They were cute, but I never found them to be real fun, and I hated how I was forced to do them to get emblems for 100 percent completion.

Agreed Vetekins, Sonic characters doing more than just standing around in one pose and having very animated body language+facial expressions is something that's always a joy to watch, especially for Shadow. I like it when he's more animated, it almost gives me the impression that the character has some sense of humor and isn't always completely dark. Heroes' plot is forgettable overall IMO, but the CG cutscenes have aged very well in that regard. 

• Thumbs Up 3

"Sonic just doesn't work in 3D."

I respectfully disagree with that opinion. I think the daylight levels in Sonic Unleashed and the modern generation levels in Sonic Generations work very well, for the most part. I think getting such a fast paced game to work in 3D has been an obvious challenge, and sometimes it hasn't been that great (trying to land on a rail in SA2 and SH, for example, or Sonic '06 in its entirety); but overall, I find 3D Sonic games generally quite playable. 

Well, when I bother to play them. 

• Thumbs Up 4

"Sonic just doesn't work in 3D."

People are still saying that shit? Even with Generations showing otherwise?

People are still saying that shit? Even with Generations showing otherwise?

Considering how so many websites treat each new Sonic game like it's the first good game in decades (YMMV for each individual), and people having nostalgiafests over the classics/adventure stuff, as well as the overall mixed reception of Lost World, are you surprised?

• Thumbs Up 2

Considering how so many websites treat each new Sonic game like it's the first good game in decades (YMMV for each individual), and people having nostalgiafests over the classics/adventure stuff, as well as the overall mixed reception of Lost World, are you surprised?

Yes actually. At least somewhat, because I figured Generations put most of that "Sonic doesn't work in 3D" to rest. I've not seen much of it compared to other stuff like the "Shitty Friends" Syndrone.

Hell, speaking of Lost World, a Two Best Friends Play video of it had one guy say exactly that, even comparing it to Castlevania.

Hell, speaking of Lost World, a Two Best Friends Play video of it had one guy say exactly that, even comparing it to Castlevania.

Saying what? That Lost World proves Sonic isn't good in 3D? or that Sonic games should only be in 2D? Or that 3D fans suck and real Sonic fans are 2D lovers only? Or something equally stupid that I can think of?

Opinion? I take the Archie girls over the Sega girls any day.

Maybe its my taste in girl characters but most of the Sega girls are usually bad sterotypes of women or just plain bland edgy. Like Amy is a lovesick entitle fangirl who only cares for her version of Sonic. Plus she also has what someone has put it "personality female sydrome". Shes sweet but shes a ditz to and quick to anger (which is a overuse female trait). Rouge is better somewhat. Shes strong and kicks butt but she also has the typical seduce other characters, use her body to get what she wants. Blaze to me isnt any better. Shes just there to play the "strong female character" role and nothing else. Shade was a poor mans Blaze minus personality.

I like the girls in Archie better because they are all around characters. They can be girly but not to where they are bad sterotypes of women and they are strong but not to the point where they are men in girl skins. Plus we get more females with high IQs and thinking skills. I mean Sally and Nicole are smart and they know how to fight without brute force. (Well Nicole doesnt really fight but...) Mina is also good when she was a freedom fighter but now she sings and shes still good. Even the sega girls in the comic are much better. Amy is much smarter stronger and useful and even Cream is useful in the comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Saying what? That Lost World proves Sonic isn't good in 3D? or that Sonic games should only be in 2D? Or that 3D fans suck and real Sonic fans are 2D lovers only? Or something equally stupid that I can think of?

I guessing saying that he doesn't like any of the 3D Sonic games, not even the good ones, for reasons I don't know. Nothing about fans was said, though, and he did preface that statement with "To me".

Opinion? I take the Archie girls over the Sega girls any day.

Maybe its my taste in girl characters but most of the Sega girls are usually bad sterotypes of women or just plain bland edgy. Like Amy is a lovesick entitle fangirl who only cares for her version of Sonic. Plus she also has what someone has put it "personality female sydrome". Shes sweet but shes a ditz to and quick to anger (which is a overuse female trait). Rouge is better somewhat. Shes strong and kicks butt but she also has the typical seduce other characters, use her body to get what she wants. Blaze to me isnt any better. Shes just there to play the "strong female character" role and nothing else. Shade was a poor mans Blaze minus personality.

I like the girls in Archie better because they are all around characters. They can be girly but not to where they are bad sterotypes of women and they are strong but not to the point where they are men in girl skins. Plus we get more females with high IQs and thinking skills. I mean Sally and Nicole are smart and they know how to fight without brute force. (Well Nicole doesnt really fight but...) Mina is also good when she was a freedom fighter but now she sings and shes still good. Even the sega girls in the comic are much better. Amy is much smarter stronger and useful and even Cream is useful in the comic.

So much this! StC also did female characters better. Playing Sonic Adventure and encountering Sega's Amy after reading over three years if StC's Amy was pretty jarring for me.

Yes actually. At least somewhat, because I figured Generations put most of that "Sonic doesn't work in 3D" to rest.

Honestly I can't take Generations as proof that Sonic works in 3D. First off because I don't think it's much beyond "competent" even taken on its own merits, second because it doesn't meet my definitions of "a Sonic game", and third because it still relies on a significant amount of 2D gameplay to balance out its 3D gameplay.

Honestly I can't take Generations as proof that Sonic works in 3D. First off because I don't think it's much beyond "competent" even taken on its own merits, second because it doesn't meet my definitions of "a Sonic game", and third because it still relies on a significant amount of 2D gameplay to balance out its 3D gameplay.

Yeah, this isn't about what you think of it, Dio.

I was talking about the general perception, not individual tastes. I think Generations has a lot of wasted opportunity, but that belief had nothing to do with the point I was making.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well if I'm this disappointed in it, I figure there's bound to be a number of people who also don't see it as proof of Sonic working in 3D, possibly for similar reasons.