Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Well if I'm this disappointed in it, I figure there's bound to be a number of people who also don't see it as proof of Sonic working in 3D, possibly for similar reasons.

Right, and that totally means he can't work in 3D at all then.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No it doesn't mean that...it just means that it may not exactly be the ideal game to put in that spot light...

Well if I'm this disappointed in it, I figure there's bound to be a number of people who also don't see it as proof of Sonic working in 3D, possibly for similar reasons.

That's... not how that works. Other people not liking it has nothing to do with you not liking it.

Eh, it all basically boils down to a matter of not being able to please everyone. In spite of how much Generations resonated so well with me and so many others enough for us to consider it one of Sonic's best 3D outings, along with Colors, and to an extent Unleashed, there's always going to be that crowd who simply don't see it that way at all.

I would like you to elaborate a little on why you feel Generations isn't a very good representation of Sonic in 3D though Dio, just for some clarification. I feel it successfully captured Sonic's Classic and Modern mechanics very well, but there must be some serious flaws you have with it where you simply can't see it as a competent Sonic game.

Right, and that totally means he can't work in 3D at all then.

I'm not saying that they're right, just that there are reasons they could think that way.

That's... not how that works. Other people not liking it has nothing to do with you not liking it.

...I didn't say it did.

No it doesn't mean that...it just means that it may not exactly be the ideal game to put in that spot light...

Which isn't exactly something that matters much to people who continue to proclaim "Sonic just doesn't work in 3D", even when this game in particular gets a lot of praise among people who haven't been fond of the franchise prior to its release, hence my point. 

Not everyone is very analytical over how to make Sonic work in 3D, either ignoring the successes achieved, or not caring about it and the mechanics that can be done to achieve it (or pointing to shit that has nothing to do with game mechanics) as they continue to chant that age old epithet in their prejudice against the addition of the Z-axis for Sonic.

I'm not saying that they're right, just that there are reasons they could think that way.

Some yes, especially when they actually have a clue over what they're talking about and why things didn't work.

But not all of them do, and they often go about the fallacy of "If it any broke, don't fix it; but it's it's broke, throw it in the trash," not bothering to make an attempt to address the problems and instead go for this addition by subtraction that completely side steps and ignores it. Or even worse, point to stuff that has nothing to do with it being in 3D.

Which is why I'm surprised people are still chanting this despite Generation's success (regardless of our individual criticisms over it) showing that it can be done, and that it has less to do with the dimension and more to do with the mechanics.

Opinion?

242px-Wave-SonicFreeRiders.png

I like Wave the Swallow. i use to not like her because she was a mean girl but now I like her. I like hows shes smart. Its totally refreshing to see a girl be smart and not a ditz for once in a while. This characters also loyal to the team and knows excatly what to do. I also like how like Tails shes also good at machines. And the design and attire rocks.

Rouge, Blaze, and Cream aren't Ditz...neither is Amy, I don't know what makes Wave so special in this case. She's pretty much a female Tails all around besides nice and naivety replaced with rude and oppurtunistic.

If she has a different personality from Tails, then she isn't a female Tails. I mean, is Tails just a nicer Eggman? They both build stuff after all. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

She would be the opposite of what Tails' personality is but still has Tails' role as the team tech. wizard and knowledge box.

Popular or Unpopular opinion? I don't like the idea of Sonic abiding by cliche superhero ideals in terms of heroism and world-saving.

One thing I find cool about game Sonic is that whilst he is a compassionate guy who will never turn a blind eye to someone in need and he firmly believes in justice, he doesn't go on his adventures primarily for the sake of saving the world and certainly not due to some sworn heroes oath that he'll protect everything or the belief that he must use his talent to protect the world. He doesn't fight Eggman because he feels that it's his obligation to. He does it primarily because it's fun to him. He says in Sonic Adventure 2 when Shadow asks who he is that he's "Just a guy who loves adventure". He doesn't mention himself being a world-renowned hero. No proclamation about how he's saved the world time and time again. And when you think about it, since when did Sonic, throughout the entire game series, boast about himself being the world's savior time and time again in a manner that suggests that he considers it as something that absolutely defines him?

Heck! In Black Knight, he didn't even let the knight's so-called code of chilvalry dictate what he does. He didn't play by the "rules". He didn't take to heart that everybody in that world would revile him for slaying their king. In his own words, he couldn't be the hero every time and when Merlina as the Dark Queen says that his selfishness is going to be the end of the kingdom, Excalibur-Sonic replies that even if that is so he doesn't mind playing the bad guy. He's pragmatic and goes by his own ideals, not anyone else's. Therefore he's not an example of the all do-gooding goody two-shoe squeaky clean hero who does what people want him to do.

It's one of the things that make Sonic such a cool character, his attitude to heroism. And it'd be a shame if it got discarded for a much more cliche and uninteresting attitude to heroism or he was written by someone who doesn't really have a clue about Sonic's attitude to heroism.

• Thumbs Up 8

It's one of the things that make Sonic such a cool character, his attitude to heroism. And it'd be a shame if it got discarded for a much more cliche and uninteresting attitude to heroism or he was written by someone who doesn't really have a clue about Sonic's attitude to heroism.

Sonic sure does have his own unique outlook to heroism, though the only thing I can vaguely make out that borders across typical stoic heroism attitude like many other superheroes is how his usual battles against Eggman flow.

The instances where Sonic legitimately gets angry at Eggman is when he has exploited Sonic's friends to be used against him, like when Eggman bails after he kidnapped Amy and taken hostage on the Egg Carrier,  and proceeded to sick both Gamma and Chaos in his semi-perfect form on him, and tried to get away, with Sonic taking chase to really put Eggman in his place going all the way to his hidden base in the Mystic Ruins, even after both the Egg Carrier and Chaos had been dealt with at that point. (And he even jumped off the Egg Carrier in his pursuit of Eggman without any means of safely landing on solid ground, mind you! )  As well as the one scene in Colors in where Eggman hypnotized Tails unintentionally and took advantage of it by having Tails block Sonic cocking him into physical combat with his best friend until the effect convienently wears out much to Sonic's delight without having to resort to that.

I got the implication that in those two scenes especially, Sonic doesn't treat Eggman as just a guy to mess around with or wreck his schemes just to make him mad, and that he's crossed the line in his own view of what constitutes between 'just fun and seriously immoral.'

Unless I'm wrong on those accounts?

• Thumbs Up 1

@Vertekins: Wow, I never noticed it, but THAT is really what I like about Sonic. It really does... like... That is what makes him my favorite I guess. I think?

Which is something I always say about Sonic. But I do want to dagree that hes unnintresting now. He still is the same hero from before. With the same additude. Sonic Lost World he was more then compassinate with the animals and he got angry and threat the Zeti to not even put there hands on Tails.

I still don't like the name Doctor Eggman. Yes, I accept that that is what he's usually called these days and maybe I'm just being an old woman, but I still cringe when he calls himself that. I liked how it was in Sonic Adventure when only Sonic and the gang called him Doctor Eggman and everyone else called him Doctor Robotnik, but since then it's felt like a very slow erasure of the name Robotnik from Sonic lore, which annoys me, considering Sonic Adventure 2 all but confirmed that Robotnik is his actual name, in both English and Japanese. I still call him Robotnik myself, but I've come to not expect to hear that name in the games anymore. The occasions when it is still used, however, do put a smile on my face, like in Sonic Chronicles or in Sonic the Hedgehog #257, which was as recently as January this year.

post-200-0-62129000-1395917621_thumb.jpg

As much as I'm looking forward to Sonic Boom (if only because this is the longest we've ever been without a Sonic cartoon), I really didn't like it in the trailer when Robotnik said to Sonic, "You know my name is Doctor Eggman". Inside me there was a voice screaming, "No, it isn't!"

And before anyone draws it to my attention; yes I am aware of the fact that the Japanese hadn't even heard the name Robotnik until 2001. I am aware. I just don't care.

I don't think you or other people would have any real problem with the name thing if they didn't bother changing the name in the 1st place...but those early copy-rights.

Opinion: I like Sonic the Comic Amy alot.

STC103-AmyRose.jpg

I like her hair style. its more unique then her game self. I like the outfit to better. I also like how she can be girly but she can kick butt with her bow and arrow. She even has adventures and arcs with character other then Sonic. Her personality and character doesnt revovle around her love for Sonic. Shes strong and she can even stand up to Jerk the Hedgedouche..... I mean StC!Sonic...... and has lead when he give up. I like this character in the comic and I wish game Amy wasnt so unbarable.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think you or other people would have any real problem with the name thing if they didn't bother changing the name in the 1st place...but those early copy-rights.

I'm pretty sure they changed the name because they figured American kids would've found it silly at the time, and not because of any copyright. If that was the case, the Beastie Boys couldn't have made a song called "Egg Man" two years prior.

Also, what people tend to forget is his name is still Robotnik. "Eggman" is just an alias. Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Even the manual for Sonic Unleashed acknowledges this, as does Sonic Chronicles. Believe me, I was thinking the same thing watching the Boom trailer, but I'm willing to forgive it since this is an alternate continuity.

I'm pretty sure they changed the name because they figured American kids would've found it silly at the time, and not because of any copyright. If that was the case, the Beastie Boys couldn't have made a song called "Egg Man" two years prior.

Also, what people tend to forget is his name is still Robotnik. "Eggman" is just an alias. Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik. Even the manual for Sonic Unleashed acknowledges this, as does Sonic Chronicles. Believe me, I was thinking the same thing watching the Boom trailer, but I'm willing to forgive it since this is an alternate continuity.

They changed the name to be cooler sounding and the "possibility" of copy right issues from the Beastie Boys.

They only use the Robotnik name now for the older fans of the series who might get some type of nostalgia from seeing it, not because its actually his real surname. It IS, but that's not the reason why they still use the name.

Saying his name is Eggman isn't wrong, neither is saying his name is Robotnik...they're both right in the end.

Popular: Sonic 3 & Knuckles had the best special stages.  I think they were the best mix of puzzle and fast-thinking that they could have possibly come up with.  Sonic 1's special stages were nice, and I might add, but they were dizzying and disorienting.  But they forced you to think ahead and to plan your actions carefully.  Sonic 2's were all right as well, but they removed the careful consideration and focused specifically on fast thinking and gave you harsh rewards for not being able to think fast enough the first time around.  (Not to mention, Tails was a complete hindrance on your progress)  In Sonic 3 & Knuckles' special stages, the game speeds up as you collect more and more blue spheres, but you still typically have enough free roaming space to the point where, once you get used to the speed, you can focus on your objective without feeling overtly stressed.  Not to mention, you weren't penalized with unnecessary obstacles like bombs.  I thought it was a pretty novel concept and I'm kind of upset that Sonic 2, being the more frustrating of the bunch, is the one that many of the 2-D games have tried to emulate since then.

Unpopular, maybe:  I think the last game that had a truly great soundtrack all the way around was Sonic and the Secret Rings. (Maybe Black Knight, but I haven't played that in awhile so I don't remember; as I have to disclaim all the time, I haven't played Lost World so that may be different) Every game from then on just seemed to have something that I didn't like about it.  In Unleashed, I thought most of the day stages had kind of bland music.  (Oh but the night stages, let me tell you about the night stages... some other time...)  In Colors, I'm not sure what it was about Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain, but their themes just didn't do anything for me.  Before I get killed for this one, I love the Planet Wisp tune.  It's probably my favorite. That bass is sooooo good. <3 - I just didn't feel it settled with with the high speed platforming.  Or at least, it didn't seem to fit well with what was going on during the high speed platforming.  I'm not sure.  In Sonic Generations, I thought some of the remixes were just okay best, not really splendid, and the Sonic 4 games had some great compositions, but... that's something I'll get into in a future post.

I don't know.  It's not that the music is bad now.  In fact, the music is still pretty amazing.  It's just that I used to be able to find it hard to locate a tune I didn't like, and now there's at least one or two that bug me every game.  I'm just nitpicking, though.  The rest of the music is great as always.

Popular: Sonic 3 & Knuckles had the best special stages.  I think they were the best mix of puzzle and fast-thinking that they could have possibly come up with.  Sonic 1's special stages were nice, and I might add, but they were dizzying and disorienting.  But they forced you to think ahead and to plan your actions carefully.  Sonic 2's were all right as well, but they removed the careful consideration and focused specifically on fast thinking and gave you harsh rewards for not being able to think fast enough the first time around.  (Not to mention, Tails was a complete hindrance on your progress)  In Sonic 3 & Knuckles' special stages, the game speeds up as you collect more and more blue spheres, but you still typically have enough free roaming space to the point where, once you get used to the speed, you can focus on your objective without feeling overtly stressed.  Not to mention, you weren't penalized with unnecessary obstacles like bombs.  I thought it was a pretty novel concept and I'm kind of upset that Sonic 2, being the more frustrating of the bunch, is the one that many of the 2-D games have tried to emulate since then.

Unpopular, maybe:  I think the last game that had a truly great soundtrack all the way around was Sonic and the Secret Rings. (Maybe Black Knight, but I haven't played that in awhile so I don't remember; as I have to disclaim all the time, I haven't played Lost World so that may be different) Every game from then on just seemed to have something that I didn't like about it.  In Unleashed, I thought most of the day stages had kind of bland music.  (Oh but the night stages, let me tell you about the night stages... some other time...)  In Colors, I'm not sure what it was about Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain, but their themes just didn't do anything for me.  Before I get killed for this one, I love the Planet Wisp tune.  It's probably my favorite. That bass is sooooo good. <3 - I just didn't feel it settled with with the high speed platforming.  Or at least, it didn't seem to fit well with what was going on during the high speed platforming.  I'm not sure.  In Sonic Generations, I thought some of the remixes were just okay best, not really splendid, and the Sonic 4 games had some great compositions, but... that's something I'll get into in a future post.

I don't know.  It's not that the music is bad now.  In fact, the music is still pretty amazing.  It's just that I used to be able to find it hard to locate a tune I didn't like, and now there's at least one or two that bug me every game.  I'm just nitpicking, though.  The rest of the music is great as always.

Both storybook games have freaking wonderful OSTs, although I do prefer Black Knight's.

Another opinion: I think future 2D Sonic games should be like Sonic Rush (both), Sonic Colors DS, Sonic Generations Calssic Sonic 3DS and Sonic 4 (both).

Because in my opinion these 2D Sonic games are the greatest. They have speed, skills and perks. They also have amazing level design and enough challenge to try to get better at the same. They also use Sonic in a very amazing way. Example is this sonic 4 gameplay:

see how it goes really fast but the skills are being use in cool ways?

or this one for Sonic Rush:

the game lagg but the game was skill fast and the rolling move was use to gain speed and the boost was a amzing feature.

Sonic Generations Classic Sonic was simply amazing. So weather its a simple game like Sonic 4 or a fun game like Sonic Rush, all 2D games should follow this.

Another opinion: I think future 2D Sonic games should be like Sonic Rush (both), Sonic Colors DS, Sonic Generations Calssic Sonic 3DS and Sonic 4 (both).

Because in my opinion these 2D Sonic games are the greatest. They have speed, skills and perks. They also have amazing level design and enough challenge to try to get better at the same. They also use Sonic in a very amazing way. Example is this sonic 4 gameplay:

*video*

*video*

see how it goes really fast but the skills are being use in cool ways?

or this one for Sonic Rush:

*video*

the game lagg but the game was skill fast and the rolling move was use to gain speed and the boost was a amzing feature.

Sonic Generations Classic Sonic was simply amazing. So weather its a simple game like Sonic 4 or a fun game like Sonic Rush, all 2D games should follow this.

Outside of remakes, that seems to be where we're heading.

Did Rush/Rush Adventure ever lag? I don't think I ever had such a problem.

Outside of remakes, that seems to be where we're heading.

Did Rush/Rush Adventure ever lag? I don't think I ever had such a problem.

It was my computre lagging not the game

Opinion: I like Sonic the Comic Amy alot.

STC103-AmyRose.jpg

I like her hair style. its more unique then her game self. I like the outfit to better. I also like how she can be girly but she can kick butt with her bow and arrow. She even has adventures and arcs with character other then Sonic. Her personality and character doesnt revovle around her love for Sonic. Shes strong and she can even stand up to Jerk the Hedgedouche..... I mean StC!Sonic...... and has lead when he give up. I like this character in the comic and I wish game Amy wasnt so unbarable.

So much this. Amy was awesome in StC.