Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Unpopular opinion: I dont think it will happen but I want a human character in Sonic Boom.

I want a character I can see myself and I can see me with Sonic. Im weird but I really want to see someone like me with Sonic.... human.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular opinion: I dont think it will happen but I want a human character in Sonic Boom.

I want a character I can see myself and I can see me with Sonic. Im weird but I really want to see someone like me with Sonic.... human.

But we do have a human character.

Eggman_Sonic_Boom_profile.jpg

Alright jokes aside, I wouldn't mind seeing other human characters as well.

Edited by Soni
  • Thumbs Up 2

i want more like a human kid like Chris or Elise. I like them because i can see myself travel with Sonic when i see them. also i can be more emotinel connect to the story with them.

i want more like a human kid like Chris or Elise. I like them because i can see myself travel with Sonic when i see them. also i can be more emotinel connect to the story with them.

I really doubt there will be a main human character since this is a action-comedy and will not be anything like X.

Why would you need human characters to connect to the show when you could relate to the actual main characters?

The problem is that, unless they're Eggman, humans tend to be completely unremarkable. You could just chalk this up to bad writing, but Chris and Elise are two of the blandest Sonic characters that ever existed, and it seems the only ways the writers could make them seem important was to, in the former's case, have him hi-jack Sonic's show and, in the latter's case, make her Sonic's love interest who constantly needed to be rescued.

I don't think most people have a problem with the idea of human characters existing in the Sonic universe, but I don't think people need to be creating human sidekicks for the purpose of being audience surrogates. Maybe better writers could make a decent human sidekick for Sonic, but I just don't see such a character being interesting in the least. We want to see colorful, butt-kicking anthropomorphic animals, not people just like us.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know that. For me i dont know but I like the human characters because they .... repesent me. i want to travel with Sonic. I want to be his friend. So when I see Chris for example I think of me. and i can get emotinal with the show. thats just me.

Uh...Professor Pickle? Hell a lot of Unleashed's NPCs were far more interesting than the likes of Chris or Elise if you ask me.

But each to their own. 

We want to see colorful, butt-kicking anthropomorphic animals, not people just like us.

Dude, speak for yourself. I'd like to see both. Nothing wrong with having people just like us next to butt-kicking anthro animals.

I want to see some one like me be with Sonic. It make me feel like im there. im not the only one here.

Uh...Professor Pickle? Hell a lot of Unleashed's NPCs were far more interesting than the likes of Chris or Elise if you ask me.

But each to their own. 

Dude, speak for yourself. I'd like to see both. Nothing wrong with having people just like us next to butt-kicking anthro animals.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with human characters, or at least I didn't mean to. I also liked Professor Pickle, but that's because the writers did something interesting with him. He may not have been out there fighting robots with his bare hands, but he was still a smart and quirky character. Of course, he wasn't a kid created to tag along with Sonic on his adventures without doing anything useful. Characters like Chris and Elise, in my opinion, just don't work because there's nothing interesting or special about them, and such a character shouldn't be in the main cast.

If you like human characters, that's perfectly fine, but I am, admittedly, a little burnt out by all the humans we've been seeing all these years, and would prefer to see more animal characters and society like in SATAM. 

I didn't say there was anything wrong with human characters, or at least I didn't mean to. I also liked Professor Pickle, but that's because the writers did something interesting with him. Characters like Chris and Elise, in my opinion, just don't work because there's nothing special about them, and such a character shouldn't be in the main cast.

If you like human characters, that's perfectly fine, but I am, admittedly, a little burnt out by all the humans we've been seeing all these years, and would prefer to see more animal characters and society like in SATAM. 

That doesn't really make a lot of sense unless you're also talking about the NPCs, because not including them the anthros vastly outnumber human characters. I mean, the number of prominent humans being are in the single digits and anthros reaching the doubles (mind you I'm talking just the games, so Chris is excluded). So basically you're being burnt out by just a small number of humans despite already having plenty of animal characters..

Regardless, I'd actually like a mix of these things. With all the kind of anthro characters we've had, you'd think we'd at least have more of them in the background as NPCs at least.

If anything I'd like it less to be predominant towards either side as you have both humans and anthros living in places like Station Square or Chun-nan. It's nice that we have human's that don't bat an eye of there being talking animals, but more wouldn't hurt.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense unless you're also talking about the NPCs, because not including them the anthros vastly outnumber human characters. I mean, the number of prominent humans being are in the single digits and anthros reaching the doubles (mind you I'm talking just the games, so Chris is excluded). So basically you're being burnt out by just a small number of humans despite already having plenty of animal characters..

Regardless, I'd actually like a mix of these things. With all the kind of anthro characters we've had, you'd think we'd at least have more of them in the background as NPCs at least.

If anything I'd like it less to be predominant towards either side as you have both humans and anthros living in places like Station Square or Chun-nan. It's nice that we have human's that don't bat an eye of there being talking animals, but more wouldn't hurt.

That's alright. I guess I would just like to see more animal NPCs. Of course, a mixture of humans and anthros could also be interesting. I just don't want any more characters like Chris and Elise in parts to big for their own good.

Really big nitpick incoming!

This is going to sound... odd, but hear me out. I lost my copy of Unleashed, and hearing about the news that the game is now available on PSN, I leapt to the opportunity of buying it. I very much enjoyed Unleashed for numerous reasons - albeit one of the main reasons is this: the scoring system.

In Unleashed, many factors are taken into consideration for scoring: time, rings, score gained from rainbow hoops, QTEs, enemies and getting collectables. Personally, this is a very good thing, as it really adds to the replayability and encourages you to actually work towards getting a good rank/score; IE, it requires you to go out of your way and pull off QTEs correctly or defeat more enemies in one section as opposed to skipping these sections to get the fastest time possible.

In the grand scheme of things, I still prefer Generations over Unleashed (namely because of the amount of filler and tedium in half of the Werehog stages; although this is a matter for another time) but Generations really lacks replayability for me now because there's no incentive apart from getting a faster time to replay each level. You're only ranked on two things: time and rings. S Ranks are dished out to you, and while I don't like ranking systems which want you to fucking sacrifice your soul to get the highest achievement (*cough* SA2), the game REALLY doesn't give you that sense of reward or something to fuel your inner kleptomaniac mentality by not scoring you on enemies, tricks or collectables. I wanna have to work and exploit my skill to get a good score to enhance my satisfaction when playing the game.

So, in conclusion, I feel Unleashed is much more rewarding to play and more replayable, even if the level design (particularly in early stages) is a bit... well, linear (albeit this doesn't have to be a totally bad thing, I must emphasise).

Yeah, I too didn't like how easy Generations gave out S Ranks. Heck the Challenge Acts had more challenge in getting S Ranks than the actual main stages, when this happens you know something is wrong.

I'd find Unleashed more rewarding if the control was good at non-boost speeds.

I'd find Unleashed more rewarding if the control was good at non-boost speeds.

I would second this, but to be fair, the platforms in Unleashed are wider than an elephant. It may control like shit but it's pretty easy to jump onto those spinning platforms in Dragon Road, for instance.

Regardless, it makes the Entrance Stages a pain to navigate, I'll concede.

I wish the controls for Sonic games weren't so ...hard. Granted, they're just buttons, but for me it feels like you're losing control a lot and it's kind of frustrating. I dunno if it's just Sonic's speed or a type of game I'm not used to but...yeah.

Also, I'd...prefer to keep most humans out of the main cast. Prof. Pickle is great, but I like him as a side character...and to be honest, I really, really dislike Chris. He's just so annoying!

I like how Lost World kept it to the critters- it had that kind of feel of a new, but old Sonic. Nostalgic. Sorta. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I would have to agree, humans - other than Dr Eggman - are quite good as side characters. I hope they don't make another Chris or Elise character - but then, I have to admit, I'm an older fan - if there are looking to aim the franchise at a younger audience then they may consider it - as kids quite liked Chris before. 

I do also agree that the controls can be a bit frustrating - particularly when you play for the first time - I just wish the games were a bit longer too. Also, some autosave features can make the games too easy. 

The main problem with Chris and Elise being treated as main characters in their respective appearances is that they were used somewhat as audience surrogates for being human. And this seems to be something about how differently the Japanese seem to look at humans and anthros because here in the west we generally (tho not always) look at anything anthropomorphic as human by default and deserving of the same treatment.

It has nothing to do with how being a side character would fit other humans better and more to do with how the human character is treated alongside the anthro cast, and I don't see how it would be a problem to have another human main character that wasn't given that kind of treatment like they did so long as they aren't shoved in our faces like that.

And I'm and older fan myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be somewhat of an unpopular opinion but ive never really though that stages in a sonic game having linear level design was ever a bad thing, I hear a lot of people praise the classics for having multiple paths and stuff but being honest, after a bit I only really just use 1 or 2 after awhile anyway and unless im just goofing around, a good majority of the paths im not really going to care about anyway. This isn't to say that multiple paths are bad in anyway but they're not really something that I feel should drag the games down in anyway since a lot of platformers can be linear while still having good gameplay.

Personally I think I like how SA1/2 and the boost games handled it where your pushed along a straight path but you can still access a variety of different routes as you go without them being to cluttered or anything.

I'm just gonna jump in here.

My unpopular opinion: Sonic 2006 did not endanger the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise.

Reasoning: 5 million people bought Sonic Unleashed, which came out after Sonic 2006, making it the third best-selling Sonic game. Clearly, people weren't too worried about Sonic kissing Elise.

To be bluntly honest though, unlike 06, Unleashed was spread out across 4 platforms, ample advertising, the works, and even had a cell-phone game, so it's no surprise it sold well, despite 06's damaging of the franchise's reputation.

I tried quoting, but it's not working.....not sure if it's just me.

Anyways, while it's true, Jova, that Sega put in a ton more extra work to make sure Sonic Unleashed sold, if people really hated Sonic as a whole and as a franchise, then they wouldn't have gone out and bought Sonic Unleashed. Why would people come out and buy another Sonic game if they hated Sonic 2006, Sonic as a character and everything else that had to do with him? The truth is, they didn't hate Sonic, they just hated 2006 and while it did mess up Sonic's reputation, the game clearly never endangered the franchise or the character.

Sonic is just too big of a character to disappear, and people love him regardless of what he's been through. Hence why many of us Sonic fans still linger around after being shat on year after year.

I bet if Atari decided to sell more ET games, no one in their right mind would buy it.

Did 06 have a bad effect on Sonic? Yeah, I know it did, but most Sonic fans weren't just going to give up because of one bad game. I'm sure it hurt his reputation for a good while though. That is also around the time, maybe a little before, where the critics became the big whiners about the series that they are now. The critics are  the ones hurting Sonic more than just 06 in general really. Most normal people are still going to remember it, but you should base a game on itself, not what some bad game may have been like in the past, but the critics often times don't do that.

The Sonic series is so controversial in the eyes of critics these days because of 06 and such, that they often go "UGH, here comes Sonic again". I see stuff like at the start of so many Sonic reviews it isn't even funny. Sonic scores have to work up from zero from how these people seem to act in the reviews, whereas games like GTA, and CoD work the other way around and expected to be good no matter what, whereas Sonic is the complete opposite.

While, I do think the games had an effect on the reputation in general, I often feel the critics these days have just as much of an effect on people's opinions of Sonic for people not in that community like we are. Just the mention of Sonic gets so many ugh reactions from people that it is just ridiculous to me. I wish that sort of thing would go away, but in my opinion it won't be going away any time soon as long as people assume all Sonic games are like 06, and the critics actually try and paint Sonic in a good light instead of, oh god, here he comes, run for the hills.

• Thumbs Up 7

That's the thing Jet. Most critics are not Sonic fans. In fact, it seems that most hate Sonic regardless of what Sega does. Sega has been listening to the critics and what they want since 2006, yet they still rate the games low to just average. Meanwhile, us fans lost Sonic's friends, the deep stories and have been stuck with nostalgia-pandering because the critics love when "Sonic returns to his roots" for the umpteenth time....and most of the time they don't even realize what Sonic's roots are (ie: claiming that Sonic's friends weren't a part of his roots, yet Tails was introduced in Sonic 2 and Knuckles in Sonic 3).

As for people groaning at the mere mention of Sonic, Sonic 2006 is not the sole cause of that. I have talked to many people about Sonic, and why they have moved on. Sonic 2006 is a cause, sure....but I've found that many Adventure fans have moved on after losing hope of Sega ever returning to the Adventure style. Other people started moving on after Unleashed and the Werehog business and I've found that many people mock Sonic fans for supporting Sonic Colors because it's bright and for "furry manchildren".

• Thumbs Up 1

I do believe we have lost some things due to trying to appease the critics. Yet, the critics seem near impossible to please as well. Yet, we can't blame everything about things being taken away by the critics, since the fanbase is so divided on so may things, just the fact there is so much complaining has contributed to this as well. As much as we often are always pointing our fingers at others outside the community, the bickering that takes place inside it contributes a bit as well to all this, to where Sega just keeps experimenting trying to find something that will stock all the infighting as well as the critic hate and bad reputations of the past.

Yet, some of it is always going to stay, because as you have maybe seen with other things in current day, there always has to be things for people to hate on, and Sonic is one of those things that just in general gets hated on just to hate on something at times. Not everyone is like this though, but I see so many examples of these people that just want to bash for bashings sake because everyone else is doing so.