Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

That's the thing Jet. Most critics are not Sonic fans. In fact, it seems that most hate Sonic regardless of what Sega does. Sega has been listening to the critics and what they want since 2006, yet they still rate the games low to just average. Meanwhile, us fans lost Sonic's friends, the deep stories and have been stuck with nostalgia-pandering because the critics love when "Sonic returns to his roots" for the umpteenth time....and most of the time they don't even realize what Sonic's roots are (ie: claiming that Sonic's friends weren't a part of his roots, yet Tails was introduced in Sonic 2 and Knuckles in Sonic 3).

As for people groaning at the mere mention of Sonic, Sonic 2006 is not the sole cause of that. I have talked to many people about Sonic, and why they have moved on. Sonic 2006 is a cause, sure....but I've found that many Adventure fans have moved on after losing hope of Sega ever returning to the Adventure style. Other people started moving on after Unleashed and the Werehog business and I've found that many people mock Sonic fans for supporting Sonic Colors because it's bright and for "furry manchildren".

And then they'll laugh at him if he even gets marginally serious conflict...

He's basically never going to win.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When gaming journalists and critics say that the Sonic fanbase is the worst fanbase in the gaming community. Most of their reasoning is because Sonic fans are loud and unpleaseable and that we make weird Sonic fanart, etc. But critics are way worse cause they can't seem to let go of Sonic's past games and they keep referencing Sonic 06, the werehog, Shadow's guns, etc when the series isn't doing that anymore and then they have the nerve to blame the fans for the state of the series now when SEGA's been listening to them in the last 5 or so yrs by cutting down on the cast, simple stories, Sonic only, etc. Honestly I don't think the critics cares about Sonic anymore so nomatter what Sega do Sonic will still remain a laughing stock to them. I'm so happy that I have Sonic Boom to look forward to and it's a huge middle finger to all of them.

• Thumbs Up 7

It's not that Sonic fans are loud and unpleasable, it's that the one's who are...are REALLY FUCKIN' LOUD AND UNPLEASABLE.

When gaming journalists and critics say that the Sonic fanbase is the worst fanbase in the gaming community. Most of their reasoning is because Sonic fans are loud and unpleaseable and that we make weird Sonic fanart, etc. But critics are way worse cause they can't seem to let go of Sonic's past games and keep referencing Sonic 06, the werehog, Shadow's guns, etc when the series isn't doing that anymore and then they blame the fans for the state of the series now when SEGA's been listening to them by cutting down on the cast, simple stories, Sonic only, etc. I'm so happy that I have Sonic Boom to look forward to.

If you hear some of the thing I hear about other fan bases, it just isn't ours that complains a lot. There are others that do the same exact thing, but because Sonic is maybe slightly bigger than others, we are labeled the worst in many cases. I don't think we are the worst at all. Are we a bit vocal though on our thoughts, yeah, and some people alot more obnoxiously than others.

But yes, I do agree that the critics are a bit stuck in the past when it comes to Sonic. He is nowhere near as low as he was back then. He isn't perfect still, but the ratings he gets now a days I still think have some past game bias in there when you hear some of those comments when they are starting a review.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jet ( someone help with the quoting  sad.png ) -
The fanbase can whine and cry about games all they want, but it's ultimately up to Sega to make the right choices. They choose to listen to critics/fans instead of figuring out what to do with Sonic themselves. THEY are the ones responsible for the franchise. It's like a parent giving in to their whiny children.
Now of course, we "whiny children" are also paying for the games Sega produces, so we should have some say in what we want in the games. But if Sega can't choose between the divided sections of the fanbase, then another alternative is to just make games targeted at the different sections. Make Classic-styled games, Adventure-styled games, Boost-styled games, etc and just cycle through the different styles so everyone gets a chance. Nintendo does it with Mario- they cycle through the Mario Party games, Mario Kart games, Paper Mario series, New Super Mario Bros. games, etc. Sega could do the same with Sonic. And while they're cycling through their old formulas/game styles, they can take their time and experiment with a new game style.

Or something along those lines.

@SenEDtor Missile- Pretty much.  =/

sonfan1984 - Yes, I agree. Critics still act like Sonic is getting over Sonic 2006's disaster. Ever since Unleashed, every new Sonic game was labeled as "Sonic's return to glory" or "Sonic's comeback". Sonic's made a "comeback" about 4 times now. It's like, Colors came out and critics forgot Unleashed existed. Then Generations came out and became the new "comeback", and then critics forgot about both Colors and Unleashed. Game after game...when will Sonic comeback completely to them?

I'm also pretty excited about Sonic Boom. It seems to be a game that may be able to please everyone- Adventure fans included. I will admit, being a complete Knuckles fangirl I was pretty upset when I saw his redesign, but I'm willing to look past it if Sonic Boom turns out to be a nice game.   smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

@Jet ( someone help with the quoting  sad.png ) -

The fanbase can whine and cry about games all they want, but it's ultimately up to Sega to make the right choices. They choose to listen to critics/fans instead of figuring out what to do with Sonic themselves. THEY are the ones responsible for the franchise. It's like a parent giving in to their whiny children.

Now of course, we "whiny children" are also paying for the games Sega produces, so we should have some say in what we want in the games. But if Sega can't choose between the divided sections of the fanbase, then another alternative is to just make games targeted at the different sections. Make Classic-styled games, Adventure-styled games, Boost-styled games, etc and just cycle through the different styles so everyone gets a chance. Nintendo does it with Mario- they cycle through the Mario Party games, Mario Kart games, Paper Mario series, New Super Mario Bros. games, etc. Sega could do the same with Sonic. And while they're cycling through their old formulas/game styles, they can take their time and experiment with a new game style.

Or something along those lines.

@SenEDtor Missile- Pretty much.  =/

sonfan1984 - Yes, I agree. Critics still act like Sonic is getting over Sonic 2006's disaster. Ever since Unleashed, every new Sonic game was labeled as "Sonic's return to glory" or "Sonic's comeback". Sonic's made a "comeback" about 4 times now. It's like, Colors came out and critics forgot Unleashed existed. Then Generations came out and became the new "comeback", and then critics forgot about both Colors and Unleashed. Game after game...when will Sonic comeback completely to them?

I'm also pretty excited about Sonic Boom. It seems to be a game that may be able to please everyone- Adventure fans included. I will admit, being a complete Knuckles fangirl I was pretty upset when I saw his redesign, but I'm willing to look past it if Sonic Boom turns out to be a nice game.   smile.png

(If when you click the quote button at the bottom and nothing happens, I would talk to one of the mods or admins to see if they can help you with that)

If Sega could go through different things like that, it would be nice. I think they have tried that before when they had the GBA games going at the same time as console games, where they were different and not just the same named title and such. People just pick at each one. Usually people are just going to keep complaining no matter what, be they a fan, critic, or not a fan at all.

But you are right about the critics there though in how they constantly say in their reviews about how this game is going to be the one that revives Sonic and then it is this one and that one. They just constantly say Sonic is in a rut and never getting out, when I think he has been out of it for awhile and the review scores don't reflect that well.

Was Lost world perfect? No, not at all, did it deserve the low scores it got, I don't think so at all. I feel it was more of a 7.5 game or something, not a 6 or 5 as so many critics wanted to put it at.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's just a punching bag for gaming journalism in general these days. While some of their complaints are justified, sure, and they can have their valid reasons for disliking his games, it hardly ever seems like they go into his titles with an open mind anymore. All I ever hear them start off with in every review is "ever since Sonic 06 *insert whiny complaint about how Sonic can't compare to his Genesis titles and has paled since the glory days*. I find it hard to take them at face value when they talk about Sonic in such a negative manner and refuse to give anything a chance.

Me, I just pick a game up and play it for myself to judge its quality, not what some tabloid gadflies who think they're great journalists over at IGN or Gameinformer are spoon feeding their audience time and time again.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sonic's just a punching bag for gaming journalism in general these days. While some of their complaints are justified, sure, and they can have their valid reasons for disliking his games, it hardly ever seems like they go into his titles with an open mind anymore. All I ever hear them start off with in every review is "ever since Sonic 06 *insert whiny complaint about how Sonic can't compare to his Genesis titles and has paled since the glory days*. I find it hard to take them at face value when they talk about Sonic in such a negative manner and refuse to give anything a chance.

Me, I just pick a game up and play it for myself to judge its quality, not what some tabloid gadflies who think they're great journalists over at IGN or Gameinformer are spoon feeding their audience time and time again.

I would say you hit the nail on the head right there. That pretty much describes a good number of the big time reviewers out there. So many of them sort of have this built in bias when it comes to Sonic and just start the reviews as oh here we go again with Sonic. He hasn't been good since genesis, so we are going to start with very low expectations of this game.

Things like this are why I don't pay much mind to reviewers anymore and why I just go out and buy games for myself and see if I like them or not. I know not everyone can do that, but blindly following the reviewers just serves to continue the bias they are passing along. I've never said Sonic is perfect, but I always look at each game with an open mind and not try and go in there with a bad attitude, which even many Sonic fans do now. They just look for the bad and almost seem to glaze over the good at times.

I remember not long ago from a reviewing topic around here, where to be a good reviewer, you have to remove your own person opinion on certain genre's out of the review for it to be fully valid. So many people play genre's or series that they don't like and then give them automatic look downs because they may not be into that kind of game or series instead of pointing out that people who like these kinds of games would maybe enjoy it, but for those that may not, to stay away and score it appropriately. Things like that are just why I would not pay much attention to reviewers now, because so many of them just have a built in bias of doom when it comes to our series.

• Thumbs Up 3

I sometimes see Sonic Generations as Sega's way of saying, "alright, the 2D and 3D Sonic eras are over, we're going to start again with something new." Part of the reason I feel this way is because when they tried to throw a bone to old fans by "returning Sonic to his roots" after the poor reception of Shadow and '06 being attributed to the style of game rather than just their poor execution, Sonic 4 was disliked quite a bit as well. So now, they're marketing to the new generation, while still throwing in references to the older games (like the badniks in Lost World) for the fans loyal enough to stick around when the series is no longer considered "cool" (like me, and a lot of people on this forum.)

Also, Zero Gravity was my favorite of the Sonic Riders games by a fair margin (although admittedly I haven't played Free Riders extensively.)

The main problem with Chris and Elise being treated as main characters in their respective appearances is that they were used somewhat as audience surrogates for being human. And this seems to be something about how differently the Japanese seem to look at humans and anthros because here in the west we generally (tho not always) look at anything anthropomorphic as human by default and deserving of the same treatment.

It has nothing to do with how being a side character would fit other humans better and more to do with how the human character is treated alongside the anthro cast, and I don't see how it would be a problem to have another human main character that wasn't given that kind of treatment like they did so long as they aren't shoved in our faces like that.

And I'm and older fan myself.

there there because some of us wanna be side by side with Sonic. we want to go adventures to but we cant. so thats why there human characters in Sonic. With Chris i felt that i was side with Sonic and i got to help my role model. yes Sonic is my role model fuck if you laugh.

there there because some of us wanna be side by side with Sonic. we want to go adventures to but we cant. so thats why there human characters in Sonic. With Chris i felt that i was side with Sonic and i got to help my role model. yes Sonic is my role model fuck if you laugh.

I personally feel that takes away from the 'side-by-side'. I'm not an advent fan of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but I feel more side-by-side with that, then Chris. He's his own person with his own problems, I can't "put my feet in his shoes" per say. I feel in say games, while I don't personally like the Colors writing, they excelled at trying to make you feel like the third partner by making more of the 'friends joking around adventure' aspect. Same with Elise, I'm no princess, I don't hold in the power of a demon, I'm not female, so anything she does "wrong" or something I wouldn't do, I don't feel like the third friend because she's doing things and being things I'm not. Same with super hero films, I like them, but not to be the character but to watch his feets (and awesome other stuff) It's said very clearly in "Sonic Dissected 11" what I can't make clear.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why I would laugh at Sonic being your role model. Regardless, I don't see how having human characters means we're there to help Sonic, especially when we're playing as Sonic - why would I need Chris or Elise to represent me helping Sonic when I can go a step further and actually be Sonic instead? I don't really get that. If Sonic's your role model, wouldn't you want to be Sonic himself? I'm not saying we shouldn't have humans around, because I like humans populating the world (I'd also like more anthros with them). But what I am saying is that we shouldn't have them around just so we can see ourselves as them - especially when Chris and Elise have a radically different lifestyle compared to us to make any kind of connection as a surrogate.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't see why I would laugh at Sonic being your role model.

Regardless, I don't see how having human characters means we're there to help Sonic, especially when we're playing as Sonic - why would I need Chris or Elise to represent me helping Sonic when I can go a step further and actually be Sonic instead? I don't really get that.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have humans around, because I like humans populating the world (I'd also like more anthros with them). But what I am saying is that we shouldn't have them around just so we can see ourselves as them - especially when Chris and Elise have a radically different lifestyle compared to us to make any kind of connection as a surrogate.

because me as a human i cant see my self in a animal. its hard to explain. in most shows i see they put a surrgite usually a Japanese person to repsent us. its like we are fighting with Mega Man (yuuta kobayashi) or with Sonic (chris thorndyke). its hard to explain. 

because me as a human i cant see my self in a animal. its hard to explain. in most shows i see they put a surrgite usually a Japanese person to repsent us. its like we are fighting with Mega Man (yuuta kobayashi) or with Sonic (chris thorndyke). its hard to explain. 

"The japanese need to have a human character to relate to in a series with wacky non-human characters" thing?

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular opinion: Sonic Lost World was a good game bogged down by...

Popular opinion: ...terrible stage ideas and level design in some areas.

• Thumbs Up 4

No, I know what you're talking about. That's exactly what I was pointing out in my earlier post.

Of course, it's different for western audiences which have no problem seeing themselves as an animal like Sonic - Sonic is only animal in form, while he talks like a human, walks and runs like a (super-)human, eats like a human, and has emotions like a human, even wearing shoes and sometimes other clothes like a human. So in this sense, to western audiences, Sonic is more human in general, with the only animal thing about him being his appearance.

So for us, it becomes annoying when we want to be or see Sonic in action, but we focus mainly on the human's he's with, especially with Chris and Elise having much better living standards than most people. That last part tends to distance western audiences from them; how is Chris or Elise suppose to represent us when they live far better than we do? I suppose that's the difference between the East and the West when it comes to anthropomorphic characters, hence why the west has far more anthropomorphic characters than Japan does as their lead characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

Popular? Unpopular?

Before I start, I should say ahead of time that I am very sorry for the negativity, and I hope I haven't offened anyone by typing this. Also, this is a long post, so if you decide to read it, better have some time to spare.

While the Wii U version was decent, if not great, the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World is probably the worst Sonic platformer I ever played.

First, it has all the flaws of the Wii U version, most notably questionable level design, and cranks them up. The game starts off decent enough, but it gets too hard too fast, in just the second world! Now, I'm not saying don't make the second world a little harder, since it's supposed to be gradual...but the second world is way harder than the first. It barely lets up from there.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the larger enemies seem to take too freakin' long to defeat. I guess I could say the same at certain points in the Wii U version, but it isn't as offensive there. Here, the length is something I'd find reasonable for a boss, but for just a large enemy that isn't even a miniboss? No, at least not in a platformer.

Also, the Special Stages show that just because the technology is there to make Special Stages like that doesn't necessarily mean you should. Yes, they're optional, but what if I'm in a place where moving the 3DS isn't the best idea? Heck, even when you are there, the controls are a bit questionable, not to mention uncomfortable.

Speaking of moving the 3DS, some of the Wisp powers force you to do this as well, and sometimes, you wind up going in a completely different direction from where you intended, which, depending on where you are, could be fatal. I actually found it better to walk in that stuff that slowed you down whenever I could in Silent Forest act 1 because of this, because it was actually easier! Yes, some that you should avoid is still easier to deal with than something you should use! I wish I was kidding.

Also, with the cutscenes transferred from the Wii U version, why is it so grainy? I mean, yeah, it won't look as good as on the Wii U version, but I've seen better picture quality for cutscenes like these on the original DS than here! Also, they're not all there, which isn't a problem most of the time, but Zor knowing that their attempt to capture Sonic failed before everyone else does seem kinda confusing unless you've played the Wii U release.

It's not even at the same quality as the 3DS version of Sonic Generations, which, while still inferior to its own console counterpart, was still a fun game.

I must ask: what happened, Dimps? You made great games like the Sonic Rush duology, and good ones like Sonic Colors DS, and I already mentioned Sonic Generations for 3DS. Why did you design it this way? I thought you were smarter than this! Once again, this is probably the worst Sonic platformer I played.

I first heard the 3DS version was a pain in the butt, but I thought "it can't be that bad!" Boy, was I wrong.

Heck, I never even beat the thing, which just makes me feel worse.

May very well go to the positives, though.

The controls in the main stages aren't too bad, as long as you're not forced to move the 3DS. Once again, the first world isn't bad, either.

Plus, the graphics are good for the 3DS, at least in my opinion.

Also, there's the novelty of the 3D segments actually being in a handheld Sonic game. Sadly, the novelty wears off quickly.

Overall, I hated the 3DS version. If you liked it, that's fine, I'm not gonna judge you, but if someone was to ask me which version they should get, I'd recommend the Wii U version.

Again, I am sorry for the negativity, and sorry for the long post. It seems my fingers grew a mind of their own when I decided to type my opinions about this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh, honestly besides sonics weird air controls and the sometimes buggy as crap lock on I actually really like the 3DS version, I think the only real levels I had a hard time with was that snowball level (seriously even if you speed run it, it still takes awhile and I swear the snowball isn't programmed well in the slightest) and most of the hard mode stages (but since they're supposed to be hard, they don't count) and yeah while it may not be ideal its what ive been looking for in a 3d sonic game on handheld, all they need to do is polish it up, maybe get rid of the levels that have you stop and push things around since I will admit there was a good bit of that in this and they felt pretty unnecessary, and give it more levels.

On the subject of Sonic Lost World, I liked the Deadly Six. They may have been flat characters, but they were no more one dimensional than the average Sonic villain-of-the-year. They were stereotypical and far from "deep", but they were colorful and entertaining, and after years of dark, mysterious villains, I found that a nice change of pace.

Besides, without the Zeti, we wouldn't have gotten this battle with Zavok, which I consider to be one of the more unique Sonic bosses:

Sonic-Lost-World-28402BossBattle_Zavok_0

• Thumbs Up 7

I dunno. I liked how the only way Sonic could defeat Zavok was by knocking him off his own dragon. 

Or did you mean you didn't like how you had to charge up Sonic's homing attack to the maximum?

Or did you mean you didn't like how you had to charge up Sonic's homing attack to the maximum?

Bingo. Thanks for not telling us about that, game.

I wonder if gaming journalism is extra tough on Sonic and uses Sonic as it's punching bag, because most journalist these days would be about 23- 30 years old, and would of grown up during the whole Sonic VS Mario thing.

Alot of them still bloody see the other gaming mascot as the enemy, don't believe me, look up somebody like Brentalfloss, who tries to make a jab at Sonic whenever he can.  Game Grumps ? I think they are about that age right ? I have never seen them play any Sega games, unless it's Sonic 06 to make a mockery of it and they played Genesis/ Mega Drive Aladdin once and gave up, and Jontron makes a jab at Sega whenever he can too.

Not trying to insult Mario fans, or Nintendo fans, but those are main examples I can think of right now.

Maybe just being paranoid here, but my conspiracy theory hat is on.

suspicious.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Sonic Generation's Classic Stages were better designed than most of the actual stages in classic Sonic games. Sonic 1 in particular.

Bite me.

• Thumbs Up 1