Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I much prefer Amys design in Sonic CD to her current and Boom designs.

I wonder if gaming journalism is extra tough on Sonic and uses Sonic as it's punching bag, because most journalist these days would be about 23- 30 years old, and would of grown up during the whole Sonic VS Mario thing.

Alot of them still bloody see the other gaming mascot as the enemy, don't believe me, look up somebody like Brentalfloss, who tries to make a jab at Sonic whenever he can.  Game Grumps ? I think they are about that age right ? I have never seen them play any Sega games, unless it's Sonic 06 to make a mockery of it and they place Genesis/ Mega Drive Aladdin once and gave up, and Jontron makes a jab at Sega whenever he can too.

Not trying to insult Mario fans, or Nintendo fans, but those are main examples I can think of right now.

Maybe just being paranoid here, but my conspiracy theory hat is on.

suspicious.gif

I agree with this, I have noticed a lot of hypocritical behaviour with Nintendo fans (especially the Mario ones) and even some Sonic fans when it comes to the "rivalry" between the two franchises, people are quite happy to tear Sonic games apart and claim that they rip off stuff from the Mario games but when the Mario games copy something from a Sonic game there isn't a peep, it really gets on my nerves.

• Thumbs Up 7

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if gaming journalism is extra tough on Sonic and uses Sonic as it's punching bag, because most journalist these days would be about 23- 30 years old, and would of grown up during the whole Sonic VS Mario thing.

We really don't need a conspiracy theory for this. People are hard on Sonic because he used to be great, then he became shit, and he's been struggling to climb out of that shit ever since.
  • Thumbs Up 2

We really don't need a conspiracy theory for this. People are hard on Sonic because he used to be great, then he became shit, and he's been struggling to climb out of that shit ever since.

Well that, and people don't seem to have anything better to do most of the time.

• Thumbs Up 7

I think Sonic Generation's Classic Stages were better designed than most of the actual stages in classic Sonic games. Sonic 1 in particular.

Bite me.

No need to be so antagonistic man, no one here is going to flame you for your opinions and it just comes off as you trying to garner hate if you add comments like that at the end.

But yeah, I do agree that I actually do like the classic sonic in generations a bit more than the actual classics, they have a better flow here and are faster too.

Yeah, there's not much more to it. They think Sonic started to suck and he used to not (ending at some point no one can agree on).

But it is kind of interesting how most people who rag on him also grew up with a Super Nintendo.. although it's best assumed that's coincidence, considering I grew up with a barrage of Nintendo consoles too when the console wars were still something people thought about. :v

Then again, I had a Genesis too.. Really it's hard to say. It could be one of those things where it's seeped into your nostalgia pores and you can't get it out of your system; where the Sonic ragging could possibly be fueled by that pent up defense mode you may have pulled on the playground against the Sonic fan. Its a bit of a ridiculous assumption, especially for everybody to have been the same way, but the console wars were a ridiculous time too, and people from that era are grown up now (with the more passionate ones actually now in the industry), so who knows.

Spyro and Crash arguably have it worse and with them all we ever get is a passing mention of how the series was only good on the Playstation and that's it. Game journalists don't beat up on them like they do Sonic. I've never seen articles about how to "fix" the Crash/Spyro franchise despite both of them (from what I've heard) being crap after their respectives trilogies and not recovering since.

Spyro and Crash arguably have it worse and with them all we ever get is a passing mention of how the series was only good on the Playstation and that's it. Game journalists don't beat up on them like they do Sonic. I've never seen articles about how to "fix" the Crash/Spyro franchise despite both of them (from what I've heard) being crap after their respectives trilogies and not recovering since.

Neither is as iconic and big a franchise with as much history lasting presence as Sonic.

You can sort of understand how he feels though. Really, when you believe in something so hard as many of us do about the Sonic series, after awhile when it seems all the big name reviewers or even your friends or such may all constantly be putting your favorite series down while giving passes to others, you just start to get very annoyed over time. I really do think many people do pick on Sega a bit because it sort of became the "Thing" to do. That it became cool to pick on Sega and Sonic and such like that. Just like how it sort of became cool to pick on Nintendo and the WiiU now.

Yes, some of us may be looking at things with nostalgia a bit, and I'm sure that plays a part in some of it. However, a lot of us and others at least try and give things a chance and look at them again without having this doom and gloom attitude that some people have. I can't always blame some people for not being happy with some of the end products, but to constantly pick on them while you sort of ignore other series that may have it much worst, just seems like you are purposely picking on them.

This is at least how I see it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I don't have any problem with Sonic boasting about himself in Sonic Colors.

First, he only boasts in front of Eggman's weak robots.

Second, he's clearly embarassed when Tails caught him in the act of boasting.

And anyway, it seems like Sonic recently learnt to quit this "bad" habit in SLW, where, not only he never does that, but he also get annoyed when Tails boasts about how he builded a TV with paperclips etc, as he tells him to cut it off.

• Thumbs Up 5

I kind of thought his boasting was interesting, and it was nice to see him and Tails like that in Colors. Sonic's ego is something I like in him as a character. 

• Thumbs Up 2

You can sort of see the boasting though rub off on Tails over time and how as Tails seems to age a bit, Sonic's own cocky attitude has constantly rubbed off on him. Now, as Tails has gotten better at things as well, he then in return begins to get annoyed at Sonic's attitude now to where he begins thinking he is the one that is right. This sort of becoming like the defiant preteen that thinks he knows it all.

I honestly think it is a bit of a nice little twist for my favorite fox for him to begin to question some of Sonic's actions and not just think he is the bestest thing in the entire world little kid view of things. You know, sort of that slow progression from full blown hero to thinking hey, that's not such a big deal, I could do better. Or WHY DID HE DO THAT! We could have gone about this in another way that wasn't as risky. That's why I sort of like Tails' little attitude he has gotten in colors and lost world.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonics ego is what makes him amazing. Hes not insecure. Hes happy with himself. Whats wrong with that? Most fans bash Silver for being insecure but now say Sonics ego is too big...

Sonics ego is what makes him amazing. Hes not insecure. Hes happy with himself. Whats wrong with that? Most fans bash Silver for being insecure but now say Sonics ego is too big...

Double standards, I guess? Sonic always had a bit of a narcissistic streak in the old days. In Sonic CD he even triggered a game over if you sat for too long, and always prided himself as being "the mascot with attitude".

Opinion time: I miss the old Sonic Adventure universe. It always felt complete and kind of living and breathing.

Some people just don't like Sonic's frequent boasting, when even though he was a cocky mascot with attitude he never really had to be so open about it. It always came as some occasional snark, while it mostly came from his physical actions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Double standards, I guess? Sonic always had a bit of a narcissistic streak in the old days. In Sonic CD he even triggered a game over if you sat for too long, and always prided himself as being "the mascot with attitude".

Opinion time: I miss the old Sonic Adventure universe. It always felt complete and kind of living and breathing.

Uhhh..., Sonic Adventure universe?

You can sort of see the boasting though rub off on Tails over time and how as Tails seems to age a bit, Sonic's own cocky attitude has constantly rubbed off on him. Now, as Tails has gotten better at things as well, he then in return begins to get annoyed at Sonic's attitude now to where he begins thinking he is the one that is right. This sort of becoming like the defiant preteen that thinks he knows it all.

I honestly think it is a bit of a nice little twist for my favorite fox for him to begin to question some of Sonic's actions and not just think he is the bestest thing in the entire world little kid view of things. You know, sort of that slow progression from full blown hero to thinking hey, that's not such a big deal, I could do better. Or WHY DID HE DO THAT! We could have gone about this in another way that wasn't as risky. That's why I sort of like Tails' little attitude he has gotten in colors and lost world.

Yeah, tails has really become  his own character now compared to before, I honestly really like how his character has been handled since colors, he really feels like a brother to sonic now than just another one of sonic's friends. I also have really loved how sonic was handled in lost world and colors (not much to really go on with generations).

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, tails has really become  his own character now compared to before, I honestly really like how his character has been handled since colors, he really feels like a brother to sonic now than just another one of sonic's friends. I also have really loved how sonic was handled in lost world and colors (not much to really go on with generations).

Totally agree with you on this. I also love how Tails has gained a level in snarkiness with Colors, which is something he really needed after being a fairly bland character before now. Another thing I like is how, in Sonic Lost World, we see that he is aware of Sonic's flaws, and he can be annoyed with Sonic sometimes. While he still obviously admires Sonic and craves his approval (see the scene where Sonic berates him for putting Cubot's head on a battle 'bot, and Tails sadly says that he was only trying to help), he doesn't worship him, and sees him as the admirable yet flawed character he is.

One of my favorite scenes in Lost World was actually the one where Tails calls Sonic out on trusting Eggman more than himself when Sonic knows what Tails can do, which is probably the only time I've seen Tails get mad at Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its more that Tails actually "Can" openly call Sonic out now...when before he would usually keep those thoughts to himself like in Sonic Adventure. Its also that he sees Sonic as an actual "best friend" and not entirely as his "idol" who he looks up to and tags along with.

I feel like there's not enough things in Sonic that are "officially" memetic.

Like, the way "cake" and "lemons" are tossed about by Valve, or how cute Nintendo attempts to portray every Pokemon ever.

It actually feels like they were trying to do that in Adventure 2 and Secret Rings with Big the Cat, but it never really caught on.

I'm fine with Sonic's ego so long as they don't exceed it to the point of being that narcissistic jock you remember bullying you at high school. Games Sonic is one of the few Sonics I think hits the balance pretty well, neither being a blandly pure shonen Ace or an odiously egotistical 90s jerkass hero.

I think the new direction of Tails can work as well, so long as they similarly hit the mark just right and don't overdo his snarkiness or make him a Rightly Self Righteous character who ALWAYS puts Sonic in his place like Sally is with some of the more over the top interpretations.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fine with Sonic's ego so long as they don't exceed it to the point of being that narcissistic jock you remember bullying you at high school. Games Sonic is one of the few Sonics I think hits the balance pretty well, neither being a blandly pure shonen Ace or an odiously egotistical 90s jerkass hero.

I think the new direction of Tails can work as well, so long as they similarly hit the mark just right and don't overdo his snarkiness or make him a Rightly Self Righteous character who ALWAYS puts Sonic in his place like Sally is with some of the more over the top interpretations.

(...odiously egotistical 90s jerkass hero...)Who's always in the wrong.

I feel like there's not enough things in Sonic that are "officially" memetic.

Like, the way "cake" and "lemons" are tossed about by Valve, or how cute Nintendo attempts to portray every Pokemon ever.

It actually feels like they were trying to do that in Adventure 2 and Secret Rings with Big the Cat, but it never really caught on.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Even Valve got tried of hearing "the cake is a lie" every 5 seconds.

(...odiously egotistical 90s jerkass hero...)Who's always in the wrong.

Or when he's 'right' he looks like a Designated Hero, so it's basically a no win situation (when STC and Satam Sonic weren't getting called out non stop for their atrocious ego problems they were 'winning' arguments by acting like a glorified schoolbully).

Games Sonic has flaws but at least his moments of clarity are very genuine.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular:

From the look of them, I think the levels in Sonic Lost World for 3DS are better than those in the Wii U version.