Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I imagine this would count as a popular opinion, but I don't think I've heard anyone mention this.

The lack of sound test in Colors and Lost World really pisses me off. When trying to work, draw or go to sleep I often like to play Sonic music because it relaxes and motivates me, and the fact that these two games have two of my favorite soundtracks yet no way to listen to them outside the level just seems really unfair.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I really never noticed that the sound test section was missing. The main thing I and many others noticed was missing from Lost World was a cut scene viewer, since unless you delete your saved game, you can't view the story again at all, which sucks even if the game is great in my opinion.

I feel like the Japanese version's soundtrack in Sonic CD is really awesome for both the Present and Bad Future to some extent (like Quartz Quadrant's Bad Future I find meh, but Metallic Madness's is awesome), yet the Good Future tracks are a lot more bland and lack the funk that makes the rest of the soundtrack so good. It's like they went "oh it's Good Future so it needs to be happy and lose all the edge".

While I find the American soundtrack can be bland at times with some, but not all of the Present tracks (Wacky Workbench is just as bland here as in the Japanese version), the futures have a lot more atmospheric pieces, and the Good Futures sound much better in almost all of them (Quartz Quadrant is a close one though) as they are happy but keep the intense dramatic edge. The Bad Futures are a lot more fitting here, but overall it's a tie.

I'd say Japanese is somewhat better to listen to, but American fits the game better. I just find a lot of the Japanese Good and Bad Future music to be a bit unfitting.

It's very interesting to see the different takes on the same idea though. It's strange how close the two Present tracks for Wacky Workbench are, and how different yet completely fitting the two Present themes for Metallic Madness are.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I really never noticed that the sound test section was missing. The main thing I and many others noticed was missing from Lost World was a cut scene viewer, since unless you delete your saved game, you can't view the story again at all, which sucks even if the game is great in my opinion.

That upset me too, but I was able to get over it since you can still play through the main story by creating a new Mii file (what would you call that?). You shouldn't have to, but it's a way. There is no way to listen to music, though, and I think that's what upset me most.

The themes for both good and bad futures are pretty solid, I will agree with that, but I hardly ever visit the bad futures on purpose because I tend to always go for the badnik-manufacturer in the past, unless I do the time attack mode which by default gives me the bad future version of the boss fights, for some reason.

To give another question, which soundtracks from Sonic 3D Blast would you guys like to have heard more in future games? I know Green Grove & Panic Puppet made their way in Adventure, and that sub-par remix of Diamond Dust Zone in Chronicles, but I'd love to hear Spring Stadium in a toy-based zone again, if I have to be honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

The themes for both good and bad futures are pretty solid, I will agree with that, but I hardly ever visit the bad futures on purpose because I tend to always go for the badnik-manufacturer in the past, unless I do the time attack mode which by default gives me the bad future version of the boss fights, for some reason.

To give another question, which soundtracks from Sonic 3D Blast would you guys like to have heard more in future games? I know Green Grove & Panic Puppet made their way in Adventure, and that sub-par remix of Diamond Dust Zone in Chronicles, but I'd love to hear Spring Stadium in a toy-based zone again, if I have to be honest.

I enjoyed the Japanese version of CD's soundtrack overall and I really haven't listen to the US version that much so I can't give a solid opinion on it.

I do like to see the Genesis version of 3D Blast being used again and maybe so,e tunes from the Saturn version like Diamond Dust, Volcano Valley and Final Fight.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure as to what level of popularity this opinion would go under, but I honestly consider lives to be one of the most pointless additions to Sonic games nowadays.

I could obviously get down with them being included in the classic Sonic titles (aside from maybe Sonic 3/Sonic 3 & K), but with the inclusion of a stage select and/or hub world, I don't really get the point in them anymore. I mean sure, I guess if you like the challenge of knowing you'll have to restart a stage once you lose all your lives, but aside from that, it doesn't really do a god damn thing. Sonic Team has already made them hella easy to farm for, so unless they cut back on giving them out by the shit load or tying them into the game's challenge factor without coming off as too dickish, I have a hard time viewing them as anything other than completely arbitrary.

It's not something I would be broken up about at all if Lives were removed altogether.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like a pretty popular opinion to me. At the very least, I've seen no one say the opposite.

Lives being removed...is a Popular opinion for pretty all games that still use a lives system.

To be truthful, I never really understood the whole "we hate extra lives now, get rid of them" thing. In my mind, it's almost like people actually want to be sent back to the beginning of the level if you die a single time. Or if their intent is to have you respawn at the nearest checkpoint whenever you die, then in my mind that erases a lot of the challenge; there's basically no real consequence for failure.

I'm likely missing something here, but meh :U

The way certain games are structured really makes it seem that way...

People just mean that they want more check points between places of advancement and they want to not have to restart the entire level if they die a certain amount of times.

It doesn't really make the game easier, depending on the game really. In that kind of mindset its a case of...would you rather restart an entire level section over n' over and have the possibility of having to restart the entire level over OR would you rather just restart right from the start of the specific level section you died on over n' over without that possibility?

To be truthful, I never really understood the whole "we hate extra lives now, get rid of them" thing. In my mind, it's almost like people actually want to be sent back to the beginning of the level if you die a single time. Or if their intent is to have you respawn at the nearest checkpoint whenever you die, then in my mind that erases a lot of the challenge; there's basically no real consequence for failure.

I'm likely missing something here, but meh :U

I don't think it's a matter of making games easier, but not having to go back farther than you have to when you die. Like, in a game with lives, upon dying, typically you'd respawn at the last checkpoint/other respawn point, and after a Game Over, you'd start from the beginning of that level.

I think the sentiment is games can be hard enough without lives (which I actually agree with). Their presence either adds nothing or makes the game more tedious (making a ton a progress only to be thrust back to the beginning of a level after a game over), so I think that's why people want lives gone. I know Bioshock Infinite would be unbearable if it had lives. Batman Arkham City would also be a pain.

So I think I get where people are coming from, but I still don't want lives to be removed from platformers completely, Sonic included. At the very least, make it possible to turn lives on and off. At least then we'd have an option.

The opinion that there is no such thing as an original Sonic fan character is a bullshit statement.

What I mean by that is that there ARE great original characters for the Sonic series. The only problem is that they have never seen the light of day because they are mostly overshadowed (no pun intended) by recolors of Sonic characters. There is one in particular you need to look up: Shadvic the Hedgehog. What a fucking tool.

I personally don't mind them too much since it helps to better myself at a level though I can see why it'd be tedious to some. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion, but I really don't like Sonic Colors. However, that's not the unpopular part, this is:

At this moment, Sonic Colors is my least favorite 3D Sonic game. In fact, it's one of my least favorite Sonic games period.

Now, let's get something straight: I do not think it was poorly made; if anything, it's pretty well-made (everything works fine, and I've experienced absolutely no glitches so far). It's not like Sonic 06, where the game was unfinished and badly made.

So, no, it's not poorly made, it's just not fun. Like, at all. I mean, there are the rare times when I'm like "Hey, this is actually pretty alright" (the sad thing is, these are the times where Sonic's running down a long, barren 3D corridor), but then there'll be a part where I die because of some stupid bottomless pit, or a part where it's just dull 2D platforming, or a part where the unfunny jokes make me shake my head, or a part where I'm fighting one of the pathetic bosses, and I'll be like "Nevermind, this game kind of sucks". I can barely even bring myself to keep playing it.

But you know what's weird? I absolutely love Sonic Generations and Sonic Unleashed; they're my two favorite 3D Sonic games! Not to mention, I've watched multiple playthroughs of this game, and it's looked like a lot of fun! So why, why, why don't I like Colors? It feels... wrong for me to dislike this game, especially since I'm not very picky when it comes to Sonic games-- in fact, this might actually be the first Sonic game I dislike!* I love 06 (yes), Shadow (again, yes), Heroes, both Adventure games, the Riders games, the Advance games, Chronicles (again again, yes), and all the Classic (including Sonic 4, both episodes) games!

Ugh... this sucks. I was really looking forward to playing this game for the first time. Hopefully, in time, I'll grow to like it or something.

Hopefully.

*I haven't played Lost World (though I want to), the Rivals games, the Rush games, or a majority of the spin-offs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Thorndyke is much more bearable in the Sonic X comics than in the anime (maybe because his parents are always there so he doesn't have much reasons to complain, lol)

And I personally find his frienship with Cream the Rabbit kind of cute.

Chris Thorndyke is much more bearable in the Sonic X comics than in the anime (maybe because his parents are always there so he doesn't have much reasons to complain, lol)

And I personally find his friendship with Cream the Rabbit kind of cute.

Y'know that's kinda funny.  I actually sat down and marathoned the series in 2011 (mid-Sept. - early-Oct) and I saw that Chris' parents actually do make the effort to make time for their son.  They just don't always succeed.

I guess you can put me down on the popular opinion of Chris being The Scrappy of Sonic X.

Can't speak about him and Cream.  Didn't read the comics.

Alright my turn.

Well I never really saw Chris that annoying in Sonic X. The only time that he was annoying was when he stole spotlights that were meant for other characters such as in Shadow arc. Replacing Amy with Chris left a bad taste in my mouth.

I can see why some folks didn't like him that much since he felt like baggage but... if I was a human with no super powers in the Sonic universe of course I won't be that helpful. I know that I"ll be in the way but dang it I will try to help a blue fast hedgehog even if I'm holding my dear life on a evil Egg shaped man's mustache.  

At least Chris improved greatly in the third season. 

I guess this is a unpopular opinion..

Sonic Lost World on the 3DS is better then the WiiU version. 

Yeah, the 3DS version had some bullshit moments, like Frozen Factory act 3, Sky Road act 2, and those God-awful special stages (totally not worth it), but overall, I had an..alright time playing the 3DS version.

Just some random ones of the top of my head...

Disagree-Game Related:

-I think Shadow the Hedgehog is underrated and there's too much hate that goes on it just for the gunplay and the swearing. Sure it was a stupid move by Sega but the gunplay isn't that bad and there's barely any swearing apart from Shadow's ''Where's that DAMN forth chaos emerald'' and ''You're going straight to hell!''

-Sonic Free Riders is the single most worst Sonic game I've played and I've played stinkers like 06. But at least 06's menus work correctly! Free Riders is so broken that the kinect screws up even selecting a game mode.

-I think Sonic 4 Ep 1 & 2 are both fun games and again don't see where the hate comes from apart from the fact that It's 2.5D which honestly is a silly reason to hate it.

-The only characters I really hate in the games is probably Big,Jet,Elise, and to a extent, Marine (She isn't too bad but the joke of her always trying to look tough and take credit for everything wears very thin very fast.)

Comic Related-

-I don't see where the hate comes from for the Mecha Sally arc, I think it was a great arc that showed what could happen when the heroes are caught in constant failure after constant failure and shows a strong side to Sonic that despite having times where he doubts himself, he can still pick himself up and give others hope. Along with that, we got the epic moments like Antoine's battle with Metal Sonic, Shard and Metal Sonic's battle, the battles Team Fighters have when hunting the Death Egg and more.

-House of Cards wasn't that bad in my opinion. Was it a silly plot? Maybe. If the lead up was handled better than the payoff probably could have been better although to be fair, that really wasn't Ian's fault since Penders and Bollers introduced the whole sub-plot with Tails being pissed off with Sonic and Ian had to have a payoff for it since It was being set up and for what I read, I liked it and thought It was enjoyable even if It has it's flaws like King Max being a asshole who just can't compromise for the best for his people.

-Cartoon Related

I think Sonic X's japan's intro theme is very overrated. I love the animation for the intro but I just don't think the song was that good. If they had the US theme with that animation, then I really think we would have had a great theme although I'll admit the outros/ending scenes are great, with one being focused on Sonic watching events from that specific episode, one that is actually pretty nice and peaceful which focuses Sonic and Amy, then there's another cool one that looks like something you'd see in a music video.

-I'm not a big fan of Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, I think It's just way too silly. At the time I watched this, It was when Pop! was showing both AOSTH and SatAM and well SatAM was the better of the two.

-I think Sonic X is the best Sonic cartoon that's been made due to it taking game elements and making a good story with original concepts in it even if there is flaws.

• Thumbs Up 1

As good as adding lore to the series is, adding bad lore to the series is worse than having none. In the instances we've seen it before in the franchise, either the stuff ended up being quietly dropped, as with Shadow the Gamehog, or ended up popular enough for whatever reason to continue bringing down the brand, as with... well, a number of things from the dark years of Archie. Lore is as inherently good for the series as Sonic having black eyes.

Since I'm too lazy to write a post anew, I'll copy and paste another one (with some modifications) :

Here's a list of nonsensical misconceptions and commonplaces that MUST be eradicated :

1) "Sonic sells better on Nintendo". This nonsense statement was made by former PR Aron Webber. Sonic doesn't sell better on Nintendo consoles because of the brand. It sells better when the game is good or has an intriguing presentation.

2) "Sonic works better on 2D and was never translated well in 3D". Wrong, it worked good enough on 3D enviroments as well. 2D platforming in 3D graphics is alienating, annoying, pointless and lazy game design.

3) "Sonic must get back to his roots"....But what the hell are these roots everybody is talking about ? Do they even know what these roots are ?

4) "Sonic is just a cartoon hedgehog fighting a fat scientist and freeing little critters. It doesn't have to be serious, dark and convoluted"

Really ? Then what about these ?

lion-king-mufasa.jpg

land-before-time-littlefoot-mother-dies.

"Hurr durr How can I take seriously some cartoon animals that have just lost their parents ??? Lol"

What these retards (because they are retarded) don't understand, is the concept of "Balance between Light and Dark", something that has been absent from Sonic since 2010. The Adventure games worked because they had balanced tone, same for the Storybook games (Secret Rings and Black Knight), and somewhat to Unleashed.

5) "Gameplay first. Contents and story after."....No, you blind corporate slave. You can give me the best game in the world, with the best controlls ever, but if it's a Peppa Pig/Dora The Explorer/Sesame Street crossover, WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO BUY SUCH RIDICULOUS EXCUSE OF A GAME ?

6) "Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations saved Sonic/ were the right direction".....No. I mean, what is soooo special about this game ?

"But Dan, they were the first playable games after the Dark Age !" 

So what ? What kind of improvement is making two short games, with pathetic contents, repetitive and short-lived gameplay and ridiculous stories ? Does the general audience, the non-Sonic fans are interested in these games ? No, they weren't. Colors and Gens are FICTIONAL successes, they didn't sold much because they are boring looking and lazily made.

"But the low sales doesn't mean they're bad. And besides, the light-hearted stories are what Sonic has always been about. Just Sonic and Tails in a bromance while stopping Robotnik. We don't want another "Monster of the week" crap !"

Low sales doesn't mean a game is bad. It means the game is too specific to a certain audience, and it's alienating all the others. 

Sonic Colors : Nintendo fans, Modern fans (Boost to win gameplay) and Classic fans

Sonic Generations : Modern fans and Classic Fans

Sonic Lost World : Nintendo fans and Classic fans.

What about the Adventure fans ? Or the casual gamers that don't play Nintendo stuff ?

Then we have the "light-hearted, simplistic, comedic" route of the stories of Post-Colors games.

First, the writers of these games, Ken Pontac and Warren Graff, wrote blindly, with little to none information about Sonic's history. Their sense of humor is terrible, they abuse of their jokes like they're "such genius of comedy". Repeating "Baldy McNosehair" or "Clobbering" ad infinitum is stupid, unfunny and juvenile. 

Sonic in Colors and onwards (Boom included) is horridly uncaring for his "friends" (if he does still have friends, besides Tails, and if you can consider Tails a friend anymore) and don't give a damn to anything happening around him, he's too much down-to-earth, too invincible and overly smug and DISGUSTINGLY selfish, talks too much and says WAY too many jokes, too much bragging for the smallest achievements like he's God, too much bro behaviour, too much "don't give a shit" attitude towards his enemies, too immature, too annoying, whiny, hypocrite and incompetent. More flaws =/= better characterization. He's like a Gary-Stu, with no layers whatsoever.

He's not anymore the young teen hero in search of fun and adventure, fighting for justice and freedom. He's just a stupid stand up comedian, destroying all the action with these goddamn "don't give a shit" behaviour. And Roger Craig Smith demonstrates how UNFIT he is to be Sonic's voice. Besides telling jokes, sound whiny or bored, he can't do ANYTHING with Sonic. And these writers are only helping him to make Sonic sounds and act more stupid.

Tails has been changing slowly to the worse : in Colors, a cynical passive-aggressive wimp, who isn't even good as a walking toolkit. Generations, not much to say about.

Lost World : what have they done to him ??? Who is this little despicable bragging little prick impersonating him ?
What happened to the little cute, modest boy genius, in search of recognition from his best friend ?

Seriously, I really hate when I read that how Sonic and Tails are portrayed since Colors is good, because it isn't.

They don't look like best friends and heroes going on an adventure. The're just a couple of selfish, back-stabbing punks, with the sole purpose of trolling Eggman 24/7 even when he doesn't deserve it. Let's say, EVERYTIME !

In Boom, he looks so far like a mix of his walking toolkit/boring nerd persona from every Post Adventure game and his cynical persona from Colors...

Eggman has turned from the greatest evil genius in the world, with his bumbling moments yes, but still capable of being threatening and effective.
Now....He's basically a one man-Team Rocket. An incompetent clown with the sole purpose of being humiliated by the "heroes" (I find so difficult to call them so) and by those useless minions he still drag with him. In Boom, he's completely devoid of any of his "good villain" traits...Just a unbeareable walking stereotype/joke with the only purpose of "being funny"....And guess what ? He's not. Neither are the main cast.

And the 4th wall breaks ? At this point, they're abusing so much of those that you can't take ANYTHING seriously anymore "bcoz itz funneeh dat they kcnow dey're in a videogamez !1!". No it's not. It's detaching, it's anticlimatic, it's repetitive and it's constantly rubbed in your face.

And what the hell is with this overabundance of jokes, anyway ?

"Dan !!! The jokes are needed to tone down the action. You don't want Shadow and '06 SRSSS BSNSS all over again, right ?"

At this point, yes, I prefer having to sit through '06's story, at least it was epic, full of action and had mild humor here and there, despite all its flaws. And Shadow too. At least I'm laughing at the unintentional humor of the lines.

• Thumbs Up 5

I dunno if this classifies correctly, but I always thought the RIders games were pretty dang great (well, except SFR).

Both had pretty solid graphics for the time, some AMAZING soundtracks (At least you can't deny that), a story that fills in (reminder, it's a freaking racing game), and most importantly, fun gameplay. 

Seriously though, I've always had fun with the games. It was huge loads of fun in multiplayer too, my neighbours used to come over really often just to play the games with me and I loved it. The mechanics are pretty unique, it is pretty balanced, the board types create for an interesting track gimmick, the level design itself seemed really nice to me, and just overall a great experience for me.

Of course, I won't say they're 12/10 OMGWTEJFH SH LOVE DIS GAYME. They have issues too, naturally. But I don't get why they're bashed on THAT much. Both could get away with at least a 7.5/10 for me.

Concerning those two films, the difference is that they had some basic nuance and competent writing that made the story flow through. They handled more poignant context in a manner that was shoving it down your throat in how heavy and shock value it was. Most 'dark' Sonics are written incompetently and take their attempts to make 'mature' story telling to a ridiculous and destructive zeal, making the whole story 'grimdark' and diminishing any whimsy and cartoony aspects that help give the franchise personality (or worse use both extremes with no compromise, leaving some unsettling Mood Whiplash). Also a lot of dark Sonics can't be so within the realms of the franchise, they have to turn Sonic into something it's not, like a sci fi horror or a Final Fantasy-esque anime.

SA1 I feel was a decent attempt at a dark story, but it doesn't dwell on gaining that moniker. After that I feel they tried to hard to replicate that direction and lost much of the nuance. When they prove they can do a 'deep' story I will perhaps be more open minded, but until then I tend to just connect 'dark' Sonic with pretentious drivel, since that has been what it is 99% of the time.

As you may have been able to tell, I've been replaying Sonic Heroes a bit over the last couple of days. From that time playing it again, I can safely say...

...That I like the game even more than I did. There's a specific reason why, actually; the stealth levels. When I was young and reckless, I found these bits really hard and actually wasn't that fond of going through them. Now, as an adult, I find that they're actually fairly simple to do as long as you pay a little bit of attention. There's probably three reasons why they're coolies as opposed to being as if Amy's stealth bits in Sonic '06 were compulsory;

1. You're still very nippy. When you're not sneaking past frogs and robots, you will be running along fair stretches of high-speed action. You can stay in stealth mode while still being able to get through these parts without any sort of handicap. This is nice.

2. You have a decent weapon when cloaked. Instead of the typical speedy blasts that force you to move normally, you get a fairly powerful shuriken projectile that has a good range and can be used completely stationary. So if you come across any enemies that are best gotten rid of, you don't need to use precise and risky tools. Which leads into...

3. The levels understands that it's a stealth mission. Compared to other mission types, the stealth levels are the shortest levels you'll come across outside of team Rose's levels because even it recognises that having stealth for 10+ minutes is a tall order. Not only that, the enemies are placed and used based on what limitations you have at the time so they're not dickish with enemy typing at the wrong place for it.

So yeah. this goes under unpopular, methinks.