Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Also a lot of dark Sonics can't be so within the realms of the franchise, they have to turn Sonic into something it's not, like a sci fi horror or a Final Fantasy-esque anime.

SA1 I feel was a decent attempt at a dark story, but it doesn't dwell on gaining that moniker.

It actually has the moniker of being a Kaiju story a la Godzilla, if you want to make a point about the stories turning Sonic into something he's not. Especially if you take away the connection to major things like the Chaos Emeralds.

But what Sonic is, is a superfast hedgehog that fights the evil forces of Dr Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik with his friends - that description is flexible enough to allow him to branch into other elements while keeping his identity like other franchises out there, be it a Kaiju story, Cosmic Horror, Sci-fi, Fantasy, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With the fart of the forums, I figure I should try recapping my unpopular opinions that were deleted.

Sonic Riders? Awful game, had horrible controls, felt like the game didn't want to be played at all. The sad thing is, it had potential. The graphics were good for their day, what I got through of the story wasn't bad, and the Babylon Rogues were cool. Just those damn controls completely killed it for me, and I have yet to even rent the sequels.

Hell, I wasn't surprised to hear Sonic Free Riders had awful motion controls, considering they couldn't even get it right on a regular controller.

I was actually shocked when I found that quite a few people were praising the original. Not to diss anyone, I just don't get it.

Sonic and the Black Knight? Average gameplay, average writing, was too short. Wish I had waited for the price drop instead of blindly going in while it was still relatively new.

Sonic Colors had amazing gameplay and amazing writing. It still feels like Sonic to me, as well.

I've yet to bump into a Sonic game that truly gets me to say I'm done with the series. Sure, there are stinkers (like Sonic Riders, which I just mentioned), but I seem to enjoy the majority of the series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again again again again, Free Riders was DOA once they put it on Kinect.

Speaking of which, I prefer Jet's new voice far more than Jason Griffith's take. I can't fathom how people can say his new voice is annoying when Griffith's Jet voice was this ear-rending screech. It's like people who say they hate Dubstep but then listen to Screamo or Death Metal. His new voice, however, manages to sound like an annoying bird without making me want to saw my ears off.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again again again again, Free Riders was DOA once they put it on Kinect.

Speaking of which, I prefer Jet's new voice far more than Jason Griffith's take. I can't fathom how people can say his new voice is annoying when Griffith's Jet voice was this ear-rending screech. It's like people who say they hate Dubstep but then listen to Screamo or Death Metal. His new voice, however, manages to sound like an annoying bird without making me want to saw my ears off.

I feel that RGS has like, zero personality (Although that might be because of the "safer" writing that the series has suffered from since Colors). No rough edges, comes off way too friendly. RGS sounds more badass VAing Thomas (Regular Show). Griffith circa Unleashed is my favourite incarnation of sonic's VA. 

• Thumbs Up 2

...what does that have to do with Jet?

Seems like someone had a bad case of the "I see Griffith's name, must be talking about Sonic!"

My only wonder is if they'll ever bring Jet and his cronies back, though. I mean...it doesn't have to be a Riders game, but it seems as if even more Sonic characters are gradually being shoved slowly into a void of never to be used again.

Whether it's a popular opinion or otherwise, I really like the diverse range of characters other than the usual from their most successful games of the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of my unpopular opinions (which I probably haven't even mentioned before the mass swipe) is that I really didn't like the relationship between Tails and Cosmo in Sonic X. Why? Because they're so young. If they were teenagers or even pre-teens it would've been fine, but Tails and Cosmo are only EIGHT. How can you take a romantic relationship between two kiddies seriously? And then Tails confesses his love to Cosmo after she rapidly transforms into a fully grown woman. Eww.

Speaking of Sonic X, my popular opinion of course is that Chris Thorndyke is a spoilt little bastard. 8P

Same here. When I heard Free Riders was going to be Kinect only I knew it was gonna suck, not only because of Kinect's infamy at the time but I knew that if the first two Riders games had difficult controls then this would be even worse!

As for Jet, way better voice in Free Riders. Can't stand Griffith's raspy voice because he uses that voice ALL the time and it's really annoying; Usopp in One Piece, Darkspine Sonic in Secret Rings etc.

Love can happen at just about any age. I don't see how being 8 makes that problematic, especially when they have the maturity most adults don't have.

• Thumbs Up 4

Since I'm too lazy to write a post anew, I'll copy and paste another one (with some modifications) :

Here's a list of nonsensical misconceptions and commonplaces that MUST be eradicated :

1) "Sonic sells better on Nintendo". This nonsense statement was made by former PR Aron Webber. Sonic doesn't sell better on Nintendo consoles because of the brand. It sells better when the game is good or has an intriguing presentation.

2) "Sonic works better on 2D and was never translated well in 3D". Wrong, it worked good enough on 3D enviroments as well. 2D platforming in 3D graphics is alienating, annoying, pointless and lazy game design.

3) "Sonic must get back to his roots"....But what the hell are these roots everybody is talking about ? Do they even know what these roots are ?

4) "Sonic is just a cartoon hedgehog fighting a fat scientist and freeing little critters. It doesn't have to be serious, dark and convoluted"

Really ? Then what about these ?

lion-king-mufasa.jpg

land-before-time-littlefoot-mother-dies.

"Hurr durr How can I take seriously some cartoon animals that have just lost their parents ??? Lol"

What these retards (because they are retarded) don't understand, is the concept of "Balance between Light and Dark", something that has been absent from Sonic since 2010. The Adventure games worked because they had balanced tone, same for the Storybook games (Secret Rings and Black Knight), and somewhat to Unleashed.

5) "Gameplay first. Contents and story after."....No, you blind corporate slave. You can give me the best game in the world, with the best controlls ever, but if it's a Peppa Pig/Dora The Explorer/Sesame Street crossover, WHO THE HELL IS GOING TO BUY SUCH RIDICULOUS EXCUSE OF A GAME ?

6) "Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations saved Sonic/ were the right direction".....No. I mean, what is soooo special about this game ?

"But Dan, they were the first playable games after the Dark Age !" 

So what ? What kind of improvement is making two short games, with pathetic contents, repetitive and short-lived gameplay and ridiculous stories ? Does the general audience, the non-Sonic fans are interested in these games ? No, they weren't. Colors and Gens are FICTIONAL successes, they didn't sold much because they are boring looking and lazily made.

"But the low sales doesn't mean they're bad. And besides, the light-hearted stories are what Sonic has always been about. Just Sonic and Tails in a bromance while stopping Robotnik. We don't want another "Monster of the week" crap !"

Low sales doesn't mean a game is bad. It means the game is too specific to a certain audience, and it's alienating all the others. 

Sonic Colors : Nintendo fans, Modern fans (Boost to win gameplay) and Classic fans

Sonic Generations : Modern fans and Classic Fans

Sonic Lost World : Nintendo fans and Classic fans.

What about the Adventure fans ? Or the casual gamers that don't play Nintendo stuff ?

Then we have the "light-hearted, simplistic, comedic" route of the stories of Post-Colors games.

First, the writers of these games, Ken Pontac and Warren Graff, wrote blindly, with little to none information about Sonic's history. Their sense of humor is terrible, they abuse of their jokes like they're "such genius of comedy". Repeating "Baldy McNosehair" or "Clobbering" ad infinitum is stupid, unfunny and juvenile. 

Sonic in Colors and onwards (Boom included) is horridly uncaring for his "friends" (if he does still have friends, besides Tails, and if you can consider Tails a friend anymore) and don't give a damn to anything happening around him, he's too much down-to-earth, too invincible and overly smug and DISGUSTINGLY selfish, talks too much and says WAY too many jokes, too much bragging for the smallest achievements like he's God, too much bro behaviour, too much "don't give a shit" attitude towards his enemies, too immature, too annoying, whiny, hypocrite and incompetent. More flaws =/= better characterization. He's like a Gary-Stu, with no layers whatsoever.

He's not anymore the young teen hero in search of fun and adventure, fighting for justice and freedom. He's just a stupid stand up comedian, destroying all the action with these goddamn "don't give a shit" behaviour. And Roger Craig Smith demonstrates how UNFIT he is to be Sonic's voice. Besides telling jokes, sound whiny or bored, he can't do ANYTHING with Sonic. And these writers are only helping him to make Sonic sounds and act more stupid.

Tails has been changing slowly to the worse : in Colors, a cynical passive-aggressive wimp, who isn't even good as a walking toolkit. Generations, not much to say about.

Lost World : what have they done to him ??? Who is this little despicable bragging little prick impersonating him ?
What happened to the little cute, modest boy genius, in search of recognition from his best friend ?

Seriously, I really hate when I read that how Sonic and Tails are portrayed since Colors is good, because it isn't.

They don't look like best friends and heroes going on an adventure. The're just a couple of selfish, back-stabbing punks, with the sole purpose of trolling Eggman 24/7 even when he doesn't deserve it. Let's say, EVERYTIME !

In Boom, he looks so far like a mix of his walking toolkit/boring nerd persona from every Post Adventure game and his cynical persona from Colors...

Eggman has turned from the greatest evil genius in the world, with his bumbling moments yes, but still capable of being threatening and effective.
Now....He's basically a one man-Team Rocket. An incompetent clown with the sole purpose of being humiliated by the "heroes" (I find so difficult to call them so) and by those useless minions he still drag with him. In Boom, he's completely devoid of any of his "good villain" traits...Just a unbeareable walking stereotype/joke with the only purpose of "being funny"....And guess what ? He's not. Neither are the main cast.

And the 4th wall breaks ? At this point, they're abusing so much of those that you can't take ANYTHING seriously anymore "bcoz itz funneeh dat they kcnow dey're in a videogamez !1!". No it's not. It's detaching, it's anticlimatic, it's repetitive and it's constantly rubbed in your face.

And what the hell is with this overabundance of jokes, anyway ?

"Dan !!! The jokes are needed to tone down the action. You don't want Shadow and '06 SRSSS BSNSS all over again, right ?"

At this point, yes, I prefer having to sit through '06's story, at least it was epic, full of action and had mild humor here and there, despite all its flaws. And Shadow too. At least I'm laughing at the unintentional humor of the lines.

Holy... wow. You don't even need to wonder why I'm quoting you because I literally agree with everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

One that seems to be unpopular though, is that while I do agree that Sonic should have a degree of seriousness, it's good for it to show its sillier side every now and then.

After all, you gotta have fun sometimes, right?

That said, maybe the series is having too much fun? Who knows?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's just I feel most of those dramatic moments had a lot of relevance in the world they used, they took place in the natural world where there's a bigger notice of predators or natural disasters. Being attacked by a bigger animal or stampeded by a mass of panicking ones is something you wouldn't see as out of this world in a cartoon about wild animals. Land Before Time was essentially about how cruel trying to live in the natural world was.

Sonic can SOMETIMES do this, Sonic Adventure 1 with Gamma and Tikal's arcs for example were still developing on the classic mythos, but too often it seems like they have to skew the entire universe into something new to get it to work. Let's be truthful here, stories about government conspiracies gunning down innocent masses, and time travelling demi gods in a photo realistic world are not the first thing you think of when talking about Sonic. It could maybe be done with the right execution and alterations, but most of the time it almost feels like the Sonic cast crossed over into a different franchise.

Unleashed had a decent mix of dark and comical to me, not to mention the universe it took place had enough of a cartoony, Sonic-like aesthetic. There was still the cliche demi god for hire formula, but at least it didn't look TOO out of place, Gaia's critter minions still looked like they could KINDA fit in a Sonic game, as the comics have further shown.

To show this doesn't just apply to dark concepts, let's take Land Before Time again. People thought the first film was heads above the sequels, which lacked the more dramatic undertones and added some unfitting whimsical aspects such as musical numbers and fantasy plots, and adding inaccurate or made up species of dinosaur just to make the more educated audience cringe. They added things they didn't think fit the series.

Let's be truthful here, stories about government conspiracies gunning down innocent masses, and time travelling demi gods in a photo realistic world are not the first thing you think of when talking about Sonic. It could maybe be done with the right execution and alterations, but most of the time it almost feels like the Sonic cast crossed over into a different franchise.

Yes, but I should also point out that the same can be said for other franchises that heavily deviate from the expected as well. For example, a story about a 1000 year old demonic queen (she's actually called that in the game) being resurrected by a paramilitary of scientific geniuses who want to conquer the world, or a multi-dimensional void created by the last of a shadow tribe threatening the apocalypse on all of existence because he couldn't find his true love and the hero of a prophecy rising to stop him, are certainly not the first things you think of in a Mario game.

And Megaman has does stories about government conspiracies gunning down innocent masses when it shifted to the X, Zero, and the much more lighter and softer ZX franchises, and you wouldn't think that unless you look past the surface (although some push in right in your face like X4 and the entirety of the Zero series, which does this onscreen compared to SA2 which did it offscreen).

And then there's pokemon, at least concerning the movies. Minus falling space colonies, Mewtwo Strikes Back has the exact same story and tension as SA2.

These are all SA2-level of dark for these franchises known for being more lighthearted than usual, maybe less so for X and Zero, and they're done well and praised. So yes, it's all about execution of the content than the content itself, there's no doubt about it. Granted, it does look like the cast has crossed over into a different franchise when you look back at the Adventures, but that has more to do with its visual style than it's narrative one. These franchises above, were able to do it without sacrificing their visual style for it - Megaman in particular, because his style equally changed almost the exact same way as Sonic, bar the Adventures' realism.

• Thumbs Up 3

Love can happen at just about any age. I don't see how being 8 makes that problematic, especially when they have the maturity most adults don't have.

I dunno, I just find it icky. Their love for eachother was more something for teenagers, not little kids. =X

Anyway, unpopular opinion incomingggggg

I can't stand Hideki Naganuma's music in Sonic Rush. It's repetitive, annoying and does not suit Sonic at all. Thank God he never composed another Sonic game again.

Yep.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno, I just find it icky. Their love for eachother was more something for teenagers, not little kids. =X

Honestly...it's not really any different from the childhood romances you see oversaturated in a lot of Anime out there.

And again, they're beyond mature for their age. It's not really that strange when you look at other works that have done it, like Dragon Ball, Naruto, hell even western cartoons like Avatar the Last Airbender haven't been above it.

Don't see how this is being icky, because it happens in real life too.

• Thumbs Up 3

*gulp* Well, this one is probably gonna ruffle a few feathers. I really hope I'm not offending too many people when I say this. If you are offended by this, then take solace in the fact that this won't be repeated often, if at all. But it needs to come out, before it explodes.

You ready? You sure? You might not appreciate this. You sure you wanna read?

If you said yes, just don't say I didn't warn you. Put it in spoilers, just in case.

I get this nagging feeling that if Sega was still in the console business, and if the newer Sonic games came out exactly as they are on whatever console Sega might have been making today...we might not be complaining about the games, at least not to the extent that we are.

*gets ready to run from angry mob* I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. Please don't kill me.

Well I dont think people can get mad at that because we will never know so I dont see whats wrong with that comment.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're probably right. Still, probably best I move on.

No idea if this is popular or unpopular, but I'll say it anyways: I know Sonic Adventure 2 isn't everyone's favorite Sonic game, but it's still mine. Or at least, the Gamecube port is, since I never played the Dreamcast version, so I can't say whether its better or worse.

It was my introduction to the series, and playing it again, in my opinion, it holds up pretty well. Sure, the graphics have obviously aged, the gameplay roulette could have used improving, and I can see how someone who started with a later entry could get a little disoriented, but it's still fun. Besides, some say the dialogue is awkward, but the VAs do a good job of making their lines work most of the time.

All in all, game is fun, and I think people who haven't played it already should at least give it a shot.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I think SA2 had the best voice acting in the series. Everyone sounded natural, and most of the characters sounded almost exactly how I would imagine them sounding. It's a shame that most of the time you can barely hear them because the music is so damn loud. :P

An unpopular opinion about the Sonic series (and a bunch of other games) is this:

Serious plot =/= immediate trash.

The idea that something is complex and compelling from the get-go isn't necessarily a bad sign. I hear so frequently that Sonic and other series' like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy should stick to a more basic, and watered down plot approach. Personally, there isn't anything wrong with that idea alone, but using that concept as a better alternative to a serious or intricate story is really odd. I understand that most people who are into Video Games are usually in it for the Gameplay, but that doesn't necessarily warrant the exclusion of a thick storyline. Part of me feels like it's because most of the people who do complain about this can't be bothered to actually pay attention to minor details to get the full picture, especially since the plots that are found as "good" in this perception are the more simple story perspectives.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will say that comedy has a 50/50 chance of falling flat too, there are bad episodes of Boom/AoSth and as many say, Colors' humour was mostly tripe, it's just that a good serious story generally requires a lot more professional writing to handle delicate but important points, not to mention somehow translating Sonic's world into a much more dramatic universe. Otherwise you end up with something not just badly written but incredibly grandiose and pretentious. I LOATHE stories where you can tell the writers are up their own ass how edgy and grown up their story is.

I think this is why I like Ian's post reboot work, because while it's still got some dramatic and depthful undertones, he seems less crippled by the less grittier and complicated setup which I don't think he was able to put so much life into. You can make pathos and depth out of light hearted and basic stories, if anything I find a lot of whimsical plots do a better job of it, I feel more for a colourful character being hurt or sad than a full time angsty one (look up the Sad Clown trope). Seriousness isn't just 'lots and lots of character deaths, gritty backdrops, realistic difficult situations like drugs, politics and conspiracies and what not'.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't like Blaze. I find her to be very boring, and the fact that she has two things attached to her that should have major effects on her character (royalty and fear of heights) and yet don't actually do anything annoys me severely.

Likewise, I found Rush very boring. Never bothered to finish, which I don't normally do. 

*gulp* Well, this one is probably gonna ruffle a few feathers. I really hope I'm not offending too many people when I say this. If you are offended by this, then take solace in the fact that this won't be repeated often, if at all. But it needs to come out, before it explodes.

You ready? You sure? You might not appreciate this. You sure you wanna read?

If you said yes, just don't say I didn't warn you. Put it in spoilers, just in case.

I get this nagging feeling that if Sega was still in the console business, and if the newer Sonic games came out exactly as they are on whatever console Sega might have been making today...we might not be complaining about the games, at least not to the extent that we are.

*gets ready to run from angry mob* I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. Please don't kill me.

Nope, totally agree. Sonic games started going downhill once SEGA entered third party. Funnily enough, handheld games were relatively unaffected by this direction but we got all those bad Sonic games with Sonic Heroes being the most divisive game of the franchise.

Another unpopular opinion (maybe?) I hate Dark Sonic in Sonic X. He was like one Big Lipped Alligator Moment, only appeared for 2 minutes screen time and had a really try hard dark n edgy design, ugh. I know he was there to show negative Chaos energy or whatever but what was the point if he only appeared for like a minute?!

• Thumbs Up 1

No idea if this is popular or unpopular, but I'll say it anyways: I know Sonic Adventure 2 isn't everyone's favorite Sonic game, but it's still mine. Or at least, the Gamecube port is, since I never played the Dreamcast version, so I can't say whether its better or worse.

It's just after playing it on SA1 it seemed like a serious downgrade, and since the levels in SA2 were usually rather huge and convoluted it usually wasted a ridiculous amount of time. There's too many times when you finally get an emerald on a radar you think, 'Aghh, I could have got that ages ago while finding the first one!'. That's a cheap and tedious way of extending the gameplay.

Take out that downgrade and the levels likely would have been a lot more tolerable, if still a tad over complex at times (friggin' Security Hall).

It also kinda dumbs down 2P VS since you can't gain advantages stealing emeralds nearer to you than the other player, the mad dash for the flashing one is fun at times, but it makes the whole thing feel linear.