Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I agree I had some entertainment with Labyrinth. It's hardly a work of art but there's worse ways to waste half an hour. The music's pretty good for 8 bit as well.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 / Sonic & Knuckles had quite poor art design. You can begin to see the "realistic" decay set in slightly, and compared to the vibrant and/or surreal Sonic 1, 2 and CD, it's rather drab. It's an absolute shame, because the gameplay mechanics were at their peak, tbh.

Popular: Sonic Adventure 2 is overrated why why why why.

Unpopular

I don't like the Red Rings. I've never been much of a fan of the Red Rings. Compared to some other past collectables, I've never really felt the need or desire to collect the Red Rings. They're not entirely offensive or anything as their purpose is practically to unlock special content (although they're placed obnoxiously sometimes) but even then I still don't like them and I never really bother with them to be honest.

Also going back to Jet The Hawk, I actually prefer Griffith's Jet voice definitely a lot more than the current one, mainly because I feel Griffith really tackles all the features of the character really well. There's a certain charm I see with his portrayal. He expresses the cockyness and impatient nature of the character expressively well what with the arrogrant tone, the high pitched voice and the almost insane laugh. I know a lot of people might find his voice annoying or grating mainly because of the pitch but for me, I found it very entertaining and pretty fitting for Jet since he's supposed to be this annoying and egotisitcal character that shows a desperation of wanting to overthrow Sonic. If I was to give some criticism, then I'd say he made his Jet voice sound a bit too similar to his Sonic voice in the first Riders game. It was obvious in the first cutscene but I still really liked it. Granted, I feel he did a lot better in Zero Gravity where he sounded less high pitched but more gravelly and gruff while still retaining the arrogant personality and tetchy nature of the character. I still feel the squakyness fits the character and Griffith does it very well.

In terms of Special Stages. I thought Rush and Generations (3DS) had the best ones and I personally got a lot of enjoyment from them. To be honest, I never really liked any of the Special Stages in any of the classic games or Advance 3 for that matter.

I also really enjoy the party mode for Sonic And The Secret Rings. Definitely one of the best things to come out from the game. I always get a kick out of playing the various mini games. Every now and then, I always go back to Secret Rings for this in particular. Even when a friend comes over, they regularly suggest that we should play a bit of the party mode for Secret Rings and we really have so much fun with it. I genuinely really like it a lot, it's great fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpopular (in this community at least):

I don't like Sonic Boom (the cartoon) anymore.

Even without reading the negative reviews, I can tell for myself that the show is not what I want to see in a Sonic show.

As Roger Van Der Weide and many more said, this show screams "we are seniors and we write this show with our mentality".

The characters are almost always bored (Look at Sonic. Just look at him: his eyes are almost always half-closed in an annoyed expression, his voice is bored, he almost always enjoys sedentary sports like golf and beachball and naps on the beach, etcetera)

The plots almost always are just random jokes that contradicts one another

For example, there's a huge inconsistence I noticed in "Translate This" (at the very first view, no less) about how U.T. works and how Sticks reacts to it.

At the very beginning, the scene is like

Sticks: "Wait, this thing reads minds?"
U.T.: "WAIT. THIS THING READS MINDS."
Sticks: "Get it out of my head!"
U.T.: "GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD."
Knuckles (grabbing Sticks): "Now now, calm down Sticks!"
U.T.: "TAKE IT EASY, WHACK-JOB" (or something that sounds alike, I didn't get it)
Sticks: "Hey!"
U.T.: "I AM DISPLEASED."

Did you notice the two major problems?

First: U.T. translates what Sticks was thinking. Since the robot instead repeats what she just said, the gag is that Sticks is so... wild (for the lack of a better term) that she does not think what she wants to say, and her brain and mouth work at the same time.
Okay, cool.
Except... Why does Sticks freak out and yell at the robot to get out of her head? This completely ruins the gag I just described! Sticks should have said "this robot doesn't read minds, it's just a parrot!". Instead, hear freaking out immediately destroyed her wild mind, turning into a simple stupidity.

Second: when U.T. translates "hey" into "I am displeased", it completely destroys BOTH of the previously two gags!

-Now Sticks' brain suddendly starts to think something different from what she says
-Now U.T. does not translate words into thoughts, it translates words into antiquated words!

This is... incredibly stupid for a single writer (because yes, this episode has only a single writer). Making THREE gags that nullify one another is an awful, awful thing a writer can do.

...and yeah, I don't like this show anymore.

I know I liked it at first, but since the moments I like (Sonic and Tails' interaction, or in general GOOD character interaction) are awfully rare, I pass.

The characters are almost always bored (Look at Sonic. Just look at him: his eyes are almost always half-closed in an annoyed expression, his voice is bored, he almost always enjoys sedentary sports like golf and beachball and naps on the beach, etcetera)

• Thumbs Up 5

Unpopular: I don't think Sonic 3 is the best in the series.

It is a good game, yes, and I did enjoy my time with it. I just think the best was yet to come when that game came out.

Here's an unpopular opinion:

I honestly wouldn't be miffed if we never saw the option of multiple playable characters ever again. Even when given the option I usually just play as Sonic anyway (or Eggman if available) and rarely touch any other character unless it's necessary for completion.

Since I'm sure someone will take this the wrong way, please note that I never said I was against the idea of multiple playable characters being present in a future entry. If anything I think having a couple playable characters other than Sonic might be an interesting endeavor and would hopefully lead to more vertical level design, I'm just not bothered by the "Ongoing solo adventures of Sonic and his cutscene partner Tails" route this franchise has taken the past few years.

I actually prefer the Generations Modern Planet Wisp music to the original Act 1 (slightly) in Colours mostly because it's a bit more energetic, but Planet Wisp Act 3 from Colours is my favourite mix of the lot. The strings, the piano, and the beat Act 3 have are amazing.

Here's an opinion that I feel is going to be outright controversial, let alone very unpopular.

Coming off the aftermath of the Sonic Boom fiasco --in particular the Stephen Frost interview, especially on the part of Sonic Boom: RoL being tailored for focus groups who don't know or don't care at all for the franchise-- I honestly think it's about time that the series should purge a lot of the current fanbase because nobody has any clue what the hell the series is about anymore. The franchise and its resulting community have become so convoluted over the years its hit a point where the fans apparently can't agree on any way to improve the series because some group that (supposedly) exists somewhere in the community would throw a fit about with the idea(s) presented, and be at odds with the idea(s) suggested and the group(s) that advocate them.

You have the Genesis, Dreamcast*, Storybook, and Unleashed playstyles, with a bunch of other one-off experimental oddballs (Heroes, Storybook, Sonic 06, Colors, Lost World, Sonic Boom, etc.), all with their own unique little fanbases. So here's a suggestion: carve out two slices of the existing huge pie of playstyles / fanbase and stick with those, and dump the rest in the trash. My personal recommendations are the Genesis/classic playstyle (which IMO honestly should be a no-brainer for obvious reasons, but I digress) and the Dreamcast playstyle (by virtue of being the closest thing to the Genesis playstyle in a 3D space -the first Adventure anyway- and I feel it's a decent playstyle that only suffers from simply not receiving enough refinement for its controls and camera). The other playstyles I feel the are either way too removed from the series' platforming roots (Unleashed/Storybook) or their execution is way too flawed for me to preserve anything from them outside of a conceptual level (everything else).

*Specifically said Dreamcast because when "Adventure" is brought up, it sometimes ends up being used as a broad term for the genre roulette the Adventure series has; whereas I'm exclusively referring to the Sonic portion.

• Thumbs Up 6

At this point, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, as a whole, is just... there for me nowadays. It's not at all a bad game, but it's still not something that I feel all that compelled to replay anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular opinion: I actually like what they've done with Sonic and Tails in the games from Colors and up. A lot of people absolutely hate the writing in those games, and yeah they can be cringe-worthy, but for the most part I do like Sonic and Tails' attitude. The biggest thing I love are Sonic and Tails' interactions with one another. Colors was the first time that it felt like Sonic and Tails were genuinely best friends. Before, Tails was just kinda Sonic's sidekick. Nothing more or less. He was just there when Sonic needed him and he looked up to Sonic like he was some kind of god. We don't get that with Sonic and Tails from Colors and up. They talk to each other like best friends are supposed to do. They joke around, they tell each other when the other person messed up, they encourage each other, and they make playful jabs at one another. They sound like they hang out regularly. Before it was always "Long time no see!" Who says that to their best friend.

Unpopular opinion: I only really enjoy SA1 and SA2 for nostalgic reasons. But when I re-visit them, I realize they haven't aged well at all, especially SA1. SA1 is overrun with: bad design choices, bad voice acting, bad boss fights, bad camera, underdeveloped story, glitches, Big the Cat. It's got so many things wrong with it, and yet I can't bring myself to hate it because.....it's Sonic Adventure. It's part of my childhood.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the Pontac games are rocky in handling, I still think they're an improvement over before. I just found Tails to be ridiculously bland in previous games, he didn't really connect with Sonic and every bit of dialogue he gave was kinda expositional and lacking in any proper personality.

Truthfully though, I really hope they take notes from Boom in regards to this in later games. That got the dynamic between the two brilliantly.

Here's an opinion that I feel is going to be outright controversial, let alone very unpopular.

Dunno if sarcastic, because everything you said I completely agree with!

Sonic Team should've just stuck with Adventure gameplay in the first place instead of suddenly switching to the whole Team-based things, then edgy n' cool gunz and vehiclez, then whatever the hell they were doing with Sonic 06 (Sonic Adventure 3 FUBAR) etc.

In all fairness, those failures were a bit of a learning experience over what can and can't work that easily in this franchise. The team-based gameplay showed the issues in limiting abilities between the other teammates and overspecializing enemy types, edgy n' cool gunz and vehicles showed the problems in trying too hard and transforming things so abruptly instead of smoothly, and their screw up in Sonic 06 showed flaws in the Adventure formula, the uncanny valley of realism (that Unleashed managed to succeed with by comparison), and how developers need to treat their cash cow with much more respect than what they've been doing.

So if anything, they're good as learning lessons.

• Thumbs Up 3

In all fairness, those failures were a bit of a learning experience over what can and can't work that easily in this franchise. The team-based gameplay showed the issues in limiting abilities between the other teammates and overspecializing enemy types, edgy n' cool gunz and vehicles showed the problems in trying too hard and transforming things so abruptly instead of smoothly, and their screw up in Sonic 06 showed flaws in the Adventure formula, the uncanny valley of realism (that Unleashed managed to succeed with by comparison), and how developers need to take treat their cash cow much more respect than what they've been doing.

So if anything, they're good as learning lessons.

Now if only they didn't swing so far in the other direction and when everything seems to be getting better, start going back to old habits.

Now if only they didn't swing so far in the other direction and when everything seems to be getting better, start going back to old habits.

Yeah, there just doesn't seem to be any concept of moderation or strong will among them, is there?

Dunno if sarcastic, because everything you said I completely agree with!

Sonic Team should've just stuck with Adventure gameplay in the first place instead of suddenly switching to the whole Team-based things, then edgy n' cool gunz and vehiclez, then whatever the hell they were doing with Sonic 06 (Sonic Adventure 3 FUBAR) etc.

Everything you said? Did you read the whole post?

Because while he suggested in the end of it a return to Adventure games, the beginning of it entirely was "discard the fanbase". Which just as easily can mean "those fans clamoring for Adventure? Off the train, shoo" :V

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if those same fans would end up liking that return to form despite the loss, it would kind of be moot since they'll just come back to the train at some point after being shooed off.

Kinda hard and mind-boggling to tell specific fans to fuck off from the very thing they're asking for, because they're just going to cheer for and come back anyway. It's really the ones who don't want the Adventure style to return in any form who'll be discarded for the most part because they're the one's who'll be left out.

... what?

We're talking of a scenario where SEGA specifically says "screw the fanbase, we're choosing this style and going with it from now on". If they DON'T choose the Adventure style, how are the ones who don't want the Adventure style left out?

... what?We're talking of a scenario where SEGA specifically says "screw the fanbase, we're choosing this style and going with it from now on". If they DON'T choose the Adventure style, how are the ones who don't want the Adventure style left out?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even necessarily disagree, my point was that grabbing a post that said "What if SEGA focused on only one style and said fuck the fanbase" and saying "Yes I agree with everything you said I too want Sonic Adventure back" feels like there was a misreading somewhere there in the middle- or perhaps more cynically, that the chance of "and the choice they'd hypothetically make would NOT be Adventure" was never even considered

Well, tbf he did mention something about using Adventure as a base. But, fair enough!

Technically I don't think we ever really did leave the adventure gameplay anyway, I mean heroes and shadow were pretty much just that but with a gimmick slapped on and without the different gameplay styles (and with way looser controls) and it wasn't even really until unleashed that things started changing up a bit as far as the 3D games go and lost world I think is just a return to that old style but more experimental to see what works and what doesn't.

... what?

We're talking of a scenario where SEGA specifically says "screw the fanbase, we're choosing this style and going with it from now on". If they DON'T choose the Adventure style, how are the ones who don't want the Adventure style left out?

Of which one the recommended style to stick in that scenario was the Adventure style, which is the major part Gabz agreed with and hence my point reinforcing that. No one misread anything.

If they don't choose the Adventure style, the ones who don't want the Adventure style would still be left out if they got anything other than the one they wanted.

I'm gonna list this as 'popular' considering what game I'm about to talk about.

So, we all know that in Sonic 06, when the Duke of Soleanna did all those experiments or whatever the hell he did to control Solaris, Solaris eventually ended up getting split into two different beings - Iblis and Mephiles. Mephiles ended up getting put into a scepter. Okay, this makes sense. I don't really have an issue with this.

Ilbis....

Ended up being placed into the Duke's young daughter, Elise. With the caveat that she can't cry or Iblis will get out and destroy the world. Did I mention that the Duke freaking dies right after all this? I find it unrealistic that Elise never shed one tear in grief. And even still, I believe that it's implied that Elise's death would have the same effect of releasing Elise. If that's the case, than what the Duke has done is just give the world a temporary reprieve - it's still screwed either way.

So, my question is, why couldn't Iblis have been put in a scepter, or a similar object as well? Yeah, there's still the risk of the wrong person getting their hands on it and causing disaster to befall the planet, but by playing one's cards right, the place could have been kept going for millenia, Instead, you know, the lifespan of a typical human being. The writers could have had something like this instead. Yeah, they'd have to rewrite the entire damn story, but that would probably have been a good thing people.