Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I'll answer the first part with my own personal thoughts.

Mighty has at least some solid piece of character, even if it's only in the Japanese Chaotix manual; he's a pacifist who loves nature. All fine and dandy for a start, but he'd have to be treated as new character and those exact traits are already shown in notable one-time character Tikal and recurring cast member Cream. If he only had that, he wouldn't stand out that much.

SegaSonic Arcade, to me, had an entirely different personality in mind for Mighty. He may not have a bio, but his voice sounds more like the temperamental strong kind and the fact he's quick to flex his muscles as a pose sort of suggests that he's more of the typical strong guy there like Knuckles is now. In fact, Knuckles is the exact character who takes the niche most so he wouldn't stand out much there either alone.

Which is why I like the idea of mixing the two; have him be a reformed pacifist who has a history of aggressive "punch first, ask questions later" tendencies who still has to contend with his own ego wanting to show off that strength.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So basically Post-Reboot Archie Mighty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So basically Post-Reboot Archie Mighty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe that "Sonic The Hedgehog 4", as a whole, is just as, or better than, "Sonic The  Hedgehog 3".

I don't think Sonic 4 was bad at all. It just didn't live up to the hype. Make it an indirect sequel and give it some other name like 'Sonic: The New Worlds' or whatever, and it likely would have fared better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree- Sonic Lost World was ABYSMAL. It actually put me off Sonic games.

Disagree- I believe Elise and Chris can be saved, along with the Deadly Six and Penders's Echidnas and whatnot.

Agree- Sola Sonica needs to stop now.

Disagree- I could actually ignore the lousy jokes of Colors.

I want a new dark, gritty 2D Sonic game along the lines of Megaman X4 or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. If Freedom Planet becomes a runaway hit because of basically that, why can't Sonic do it?

I disagree about Action Henk being a true spiritual successor to Sonic. It is filled with linear design, ugly characters, and crippling difficulty. Also, it has no story. Even Dust: An Elysian Tail is more of a Sonic game than Action Henk.

Is it weird that I want a more humanoid design for Sonic and company?

I wouldn't mind having a large playable roster in a main series game.

I'm still going to give Roger Craig Smith one chance to play Sonic in a serious role.

Popular - If I were to try and call it impartially, I'd say Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best that the series has to offer. It's where the gameplay, soundtrack, and world design hit its peak in the series and it had a damn good story to boot.

Unpopular - I like there to be a variety of characters in this series. Sonic's friends are usually deemed to either be flat or pointless or whatever, but I actually really don't think I would've been able to clock into the series for the long run if it wasn't for them. Characters are important to me in any videogame or story, and I'd get bored as shit if it was just Sonic, Tails, and a fat guy with a mustache. Plus the only ones of Sonic's friends who fall flat for me are Amy and Shadow (and Elise and Silver if you want to count them as being Sonic's friends), so meh. Most of the rest of them genuinely interest me.

Which is why I like the idea of mixing the two; have him be a reformed pacifist who has a history of aggressive "punch first, ask questions later" tendencies who still has to contend with his own ego wanting to show off that strength.

• Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed Sonic Labyrinth as a kid. Why? It had Sonic in it is probably the reason. I gotta play it again to see if my view has changed over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Labyrinth was enjoyable in short doses. It's not a great game but it's playable. 

As a side note, I actually hated Mean Bean Machine as a kid for the same reason you liked Labyrinth, now I think it's awesome (though I still think Sonic should have been in it, shouldn't have been hard, just have him replace Arle's spot in Puyo Puyo):

27zy9du.png

• Thumbs Up 1

So while I was enjoying my non-working days, I decided to go back to Shadow, Heroes and Unleashed to see how I feel about them now. And I going to label these as unpopular until told otherwise. Unleashed PS2 seemed to have lost its luster in my eyes due to the fact that the HD version just blows it out of the water, with better gameplay but has a lot of bullshit in it. But as long as the gameplay's fun, I can deal with any BS.

Heroes' story was not bad, atleast not Colors bad.

Not saying that Colors had a terrible story, it had a pretty simple and serviceable story so it's average in the story part. The dialogue is what made it worse except some Sonic/Tails bromance and Eggman but the rest is nothing but cringe.

Heroes at worst, in my eyes, had just cheesy dialogues like "SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK" and the like but I didn't cringe as much as I should but overall the dialogue feels like it is the characters talking like themselves. Sonic being cocky and stuff, Knux tries to one up Sonic sometimes, Amy still being the optimist and motivates her team mates and etc.

Granted, it did have some problems.

The re-introduction to Shadow was very underwhelming and for Rouge and any other character not telling him about his past is kind of a plothole since why wouldn't they tell him. Then have Shadow's game flesh out more on the events on what happened at the ARK, Shadow's relationship on Maria and Gerald and etc. but I'm getting ahead of myself. 

The justification for the Team Battles was also pretty poor as well and kind of introduced the overly violent fangirl Amy bastardization in future games. 

But outside of that, I don't see any other problems. Metal Sonic was a cliche? Meh, whatever it was stupid but I don't see that hurting anyone outside of Metal Sonic fans.....

Heroes is kind of what a simple Sonic story should be, leave the sitcom stuff to Boom since that's the proper position that kind of content should and the writers for the show do a pretty solid job with the jokes so yeah. A basic action story where Sonic and his pals kick robot ass and stop Eggman again, simple Sonic story so anyone can understand that. The other teams does their individual story fairly well, whether it's Team Rose determination to find Chocola and Froggy and Team Chaotix's latest humorous case. Team Dark didn't do the "is that Shadow SA2 Shadow" well but outside of that, that story was fine as well.

The game does suffer from forced padding and slippery ass fuck controls but I had a lot of fun with Team Sonic.

Most people would just stick to Team Rose and they're fine but the most fun I had is with Team Sonic since the levels were well designed with a nice mixture of action, platforming and speed elements.

So yeah, I like Heroes for Team Sonic and a fairly enjoyable story.

Another really dangerous unpopular one, is this:

I do not consider Shadow the Hedgehog as a terrible game and is not as bad as 06 or Rise of Lyric.

I get that the massive push to make Sonic to be extremely edgy is stupid and it comes off as pretentious so no denying there. The vehicles are pointless and stupid but making them optional, they do no harm but they don't add anything either so meh.

But as a game, it's pretty good. Missions like Lost Impact's Hero Mission or Mad Matrix's Dark Mission can be extremely long, boring and just plain not fun. But playing the levels normally, they're pretty decently designed though it seems that there's less of the speed elements and puts a more emphasis on the action/platforming parts but it works well enough. 

The guns, though seem out-of-place, works with the game and I love causing havoc with the Shadow Rifle. It's that empowerment that makes Sonic stands out IMO.

The boss fights are actually better than most of Heroes' actually because the boss fights in Shadow makes use of the skills and abilities you use to play the game so bonus points for that.

Not sure what else to say else than that Shadow is a pretty alright game with a poor direction and leave it at that.

I feel like Heroes would have been a lot more playable if it wasn't for the ceaseless bottomless pits. Seriously, with the increased speed and button bashing, it makes the game insanely easy to slip to your death. Only the practice level doesn't run on small/narrow platforms hovering over the air setup.

Add to that the corny and sometimes redundant dialogue. In most games it was at least just limited to cutscenes and the final boss. Now it's ALL THE DAMN TIME.

That was more of a mixture of bad controls AND a lot of the levels were in bottomless pits. The bottomless pits just come off as lazy which kind of sucks since the levels themselves were pretty good actually. The dialogue was rather cheesy but only a few were and not all of them

I will say this though, I thought Amy's characterisation was only that bad in the aforementioned forced Team Battles. Otherwise I think her personality was actually developed well.

• Thumbs Up 3

It certainly wasn't perfect by no means but as you said, she was still fairly developed. It comes as a fairly solid conclusion to her character arc, she wanted some respect and adventure, she got it but it was too much for her but she has that determination to help and motivate those in need and knows her limits when it comes to the amount of action and such.

Heroes Amy is pretty underrated since there's still a lot of good moments with her and it sucks that only like 2 individual moments kind of breaks it for most people.....

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe that "Sonic The Hedgehog 4", as a whole, is just as, or better than, "Sonic The  Hedgehog 3".

I don't understand? i'm asking out of curiosity, not to attack your oppinion. I'm not a "Sonic 3" elitest by any means, but i personally have never heard this oppinion before.

Another really dangerous unpopular one, is this:

I do not consider Shadow the Hedgehog as a terrible game and is not as bad as 06 or Rise of Lyric.

I get that the massive push to make Sonic to be extremely edgy is stupid and it comes off as pretentious so no denying there. The vehicles are pointless and stupid but making them optional, they do no harm but they don't add anything either so meh.

But as a game, it's pretty good. Missions like Lost Impact's Hero Mission or Mad Matrix's Dark Mission can be extremely long, boring and just plain not fun. But playing the levels normally, they're pretty decently designed though it seems that there's less of the speed elements and puts a more emphasis on the action/platforming parts but it works well enough. 

The guns, though seem out-of-place, works with the game and I love causing havoc with the Shadow Rifle. It's that empowerment that makes Sonic stands out IMO.

The boss fights are actually better than most of Heroes' actually because the boss fights in Shadow makes use of the skills and abilities you use to play the game so bonus points for that.

Not sure what else to say else than that Shadow is a pretty alright game with a poor direction and leave it at that.

aside from lost impact wasting 40 minutes of my life because i had the language on japaneese and i decided to look away from the tv when maria said "some of the artifical chaos might be hiding in the shadows" i really quickly looked back to the tv, skimmed the message and interpreted "some of the chaoses might be hiding, shadow!" yes i saw the plural, but what shadows?...It was pretty good, like most mediocre games tho it suffers from lack of accesebility, you have to be in the right mindset to properly enjoy the game, which in my case sadly, didn't happen until AFTER i beat the game (10 playthroughs, A-ranking, Expert Mode). Because of that I don't give the game proper credit, my oppinion on the game dosen't align with my experience with it. But yeah, Gotta love that Sky Troops and Central City!

Which leads me to my Unpopular oppinion: Shadow's Expert Mode SOLVES EVERYTHING!!!!....well almost anyways, it defently makes it much more enjoyable.

-mindless speed sections. GONE

-difficulty. ITS ACUALLY THERE!

-platforming. i'm pretty sure platformers are supposed to have this!

-more enemies to help balance over powered guns. Good

-No more killing all the enemies. A great idea on paper, sadly it gets annoying sometimes with this...level design.

-live system. now there is acual pressure when im down to my last 4 lives on Cosmic Fall! (best level on Expert by far!)

this all seems pretty ovious to me but everytime i hear people discuss it, they say it was a waste of time or completly pointless. Honestly my overall experience would have been better if the entire game was just expert mode. The story might have been better...or worse, who knows, it probably would have been easier to make/be more simple (could be bad or good, depends.). Then again im pretty picky on level design and don't care to much about "physics" especially if the game is in 3D!

Odd opinion: The only way the Team Battles in Sonic Heroes could have made any sense was if Metal Sonic had run around posing as various members of the different teams in front of different characters, so while they fought each other he would analyze their fighting styles so he would be better prepared against them later. Oh, and he also could have recreated Metal Knuckles and maybe made a Metal Amy/Tails/Tails Doll and gave them his shape-shifting ability via download to speed things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sort of an unpopular one here but I always thought the level lengths for the likes of team sonic and (to some extent) team dark were actually pretty good while I felt team rose's were too short and team chaotix's were too long.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this has been brought up already, but here's one rare opinion that I disagree with... if it fits this topic, that is.

A few weeks ago, I encountered two people on DeviantArt who basically believe that Super Sonic's design should be changed just to be more original, so that he doesn't look like a Super Saiyan rip-off... You know, whenever I hear people that say such stupid stuff, I get this feeling that they're being blind as to how this world operates, that they don't realize that nothing is original. Honestly, to say that Super Sonic's design needs to be changed is like saying Sonic's speed needs to be taken away so that he isn't like the Flash or Speedy Gonzalez. Or that he shouldn't be looking like Mickey Mouse.

While it is a rare opinion regarding Sonic (actually, it's not so rare when you count all the DBZ fanboys mindlessly shouting that he's a rip-off), it is something that I constantly had and have to deal with regarding my two fanon concepts of Super Klonoa and Super Rainbow Dash.. even though they're both white (a rarely-used color for a Super form) and not golden yellow like Super Sonic.

But yeah, I find such an opinion annoying, really. =/

A few weeks ago, I encountered two people on DeviantArt who basically believe that Super Sonic's design should be changed just to be more original, so that he doesn't look like a Super Saiyan rip-off... 

... Okay, I must ask: what did they propose that he should look like? Him looking like a Super Saiyan is the point, after all--he's a homage to Dragon Ball.

• Thumbs Up 1

... Okay, I must ask: what did they propose that he should look like? Him looking like a Super Saiyan is the point, after all--he's a homage to Dragon Ball.

They didn't propose anything specifically, but we were commenting on a pic belonging to one of them that depicted a drastically different design of Super Klonoa other than mine. So they were pretty much implying that Sonic's should be more of a creative design rather than being a homage.

• 2 weeks later...

Unpopular, I think? I'm pretty well convinced Ian Flynn, or whoever took his place, would have had to reboot Archie Sonic regardless of whether or not Penders caused a legal mess.

The difference? I like to think they would have had at least some time to resolve everything before moving on, though with Sega, you never know. It might have occured at a later point than it did.

From the sounds of things, Ian wouldn't have done it on his own either way, but who knows about any potential replacements.

I love Dan Shoening and Luis Delgado's art in Worlds Unite. Their work is just beautiful and they need to do more work on these comics in the future. (Ironically this isn't an unpopular opinion with Ghostbusters)

Unpopular, I think? I'm pretty well convinced Ian Flynn, or whoever took his place, would have had to reboot Archie Sonic regardless of whether or not Penders caused a legal mess.

The difference? I like to think they would have had at least some time to resolve everything before moving on, though with Sega, you never know. It might have occured at a later point than it did.

From the sounds of things, Ian wouldn't have done it on his own either way, but who knows about any potential replacements.