Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

State your Unpopular Opinions about the Franchise Here! I would love to hear them, but don't bash other's opinions, just be respectful about it. and I will now state mine. 

•   I think Sonic R has some Potential
  •  Sonic Adventure handled Story-lines Better than The Second Installment
  • They Should include both games of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles into one, in collections because they just seem separated and some things are missing from each-other.
  •  I actually wanna play Sonic The Hedgehog 2006
Edited by Kiah
Topic has been merged with an existing topic.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can never can quite decide which Sonic character is my favorite...though I do gravitate to Amy Rose from time to time.

Actually, the fact that I like so many characters in the series could be unpopular in itself. That said, the two in the entire franchise I hate are popular choices for the worst...Chris and Elise. Those two deserve each other, to be honest.

Chris and Elise. Those two deserve each other, to be honest.

Or maybe Chris got back from Mobius at the end of Sonic X and genderbent/crossdressed as a woman and applied for 06 to satiate his need for Sonic.

Unpopular Sonic opinions? I have a few....

-I don't think Sonic 1 is actually quite the masterpiece it's made out to be. It feels like there's a lot jarring transitions from speed to awkward platforming, and too many levels rely on you either standing still and waiting for things other things to happen. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, and of course it deserves to be remembered for its contributions to gaming, but it pales in comparison to its Genesis sequels.

-I'm honestly not sure when this became an unpopular opinion, but I think Adventure is still a very solid game, albeit with some major flaws. While it does have camera issues, a few levels (and characters) with some poor design choices, and some collision detection issues, the positives far outweigh the negatives: smooth controls, a great sense of speed and momentum, and the fact that the majority of the game is spent with characters that are really fun to play as. The voice acting reaches "so bad it's good levels," and the soundtrack is probably one of my favorites in the entire franchise. Speaking of the soundtrack...

-Jun Senoue is my favorite Sonic composer. I adore his work on Sonic 3 and the Adventure titles, and as a guitar player I have a strong fondness for the tunes he penned for the latter two titles. Sonic Heroes even had a couple of stand-out tunes, and the vocal themes from the games are so stupidly entertaining... or is it entertainingly stupid? Whatever, I love his music to death, both for nostalgic and compositional reasons.

-Sonic Adventure 2 has not aged as well as it's predecessor. The controls tend to feel very twitchy, especially at high speeds. The mech controls are not as smooth as Gamma's were, and the treasure hunting levels are MILES worse than the ones from Adventure 1, due to a selective radar system and a lack of any sort of direction. Compounding these problems, you don't even get to pick which character you're playing as in the story! Sure, Adventure 1 had some pretty insipid playable characters, but they were contained in their own selectable stories, allowing you to play the fun Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles segments unencumbered. In Sonic Adventure 2, you are forced to bounce from the fun Sonic stages, to the tolerable mech stages, to the abysmal treasure hunting stages, and it's so freaking jarring. Not to mention the camera still sucks. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it baffles me when people say it's better than Adventure 1.  I also love the soundtrack, which can be considered an unpopular opinion as well... 

Edited by EXshad

^Agreed with you on the Adventure 2 front, pretty much for all the same reasons you mentioned. The storyline is worse too IMO.

Umm gotta try...

1. I think SA2 may be overrated. Overrated in the "best game" sense. At least, compared to SA1 to be fair; or even the classic gems, to go further.

2. I love TJ Davis, and I do enjoy her tracks on Sonic R.

3. I do enjoy and praise Big in SA1. "Friendship", "peace", etc lovely sweeties things to make the game richer and more tasteful (?  

4. I do love My Destiny

5. I think Sonic 06 as a horrible game is an exaggerated statement. I has its own charms; that can't be horrible. Going further, I praise the plot, as an different and complex story are welcome to me. Bestiability?? I don't give a ** haha

...and I don't know, I've just came up with these

Edited by MegaSonic

• 3 weeks later...

The conversation I had a few minutes ago made me recall a more obscure unpopular opinion. 

Unlike most, I don't think Shadow was on the ARK that long before the GUN raid, at least not enough to be able to feasibly carry out the scientific work Gerald had created him for (It can take years for medical breakthroughs to happen even if you know exactly what your aim is and how to go about it, especially with a disease so rare/debilitating). Nothing about the sequence of SA2 suggested that Shadow's existence had been for that long comparatively, and it makes sense to him to have only been there months, perhaps. If you're wondering how Shadow could have come to see Gerald and Maria as family figures in such a short span of time, here's some reading material on imprinting.

The way I see it, that's just one of the inconsistencies that SA2 has when you think about it and delve into its story. It's not too much to think about after a number of views, but the more you look at it the more you question it.

The way I see it, that's just one of the inconsistencies that SA2 has when you think about it and delve into its story. It's not too much to think about after a number of views, but the more you look at it the more you question it.

It's the whole thing about Gerald somehow being able to reprogram Shadow despite him being incarcerated and Shadow being in an escape pod in who knows where that makes me think Shadow's reprogramming was either an inside job within the government or someone who despised Gerald on a personal level to try to ruin his reputation with false recordings of his plan to destroy the world or something, but due to either one not understanding Gerald's research very well botched the attempt and fucked up Shadow's memories to the point he became what he was in SA2.

Edited by SenEDtor Missile

I am not even sure if this is popular or unpopular, but I have a recently formed opinion on Sonic Generations. In particular the 3ds version. First off, let me say I absolutely loved the PC/Console version and is probably my favorite Sonic title since SA/SA2. I finally got a DS and figured I'd have to get generations.

After playing the first level as 2d Sonic, I was beyond pumped to see a 3d Sonic game on a handheld. Boy was I quite disappointed, Not in the 2d gameplay or the level designs (I loved all the levels, especially Mushroom Hill), but I was VERY, VERY dissappointed in the way the 3d game was presented. Like really Sega, you can't give us a 3rd person view? It basically felt like I was playing two 2d levels. That was not 3d, that was a BS cop out imo, where the most 3d you get is when the camera angle turns while you go up a loop or boost through a long pathway or I guess the special stages were pretty sweet. (They were ACTUALLY 3D) I'm all for bringing classic Sonic back, but you can't do this shit...You need to have both 2d/3d and make it feel different at the very least.

Anyways, I had to get that off my chest. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees with this, but it really ticked me off in all honesty. Felt like a cop out for Sonic Team and it makes half the game very dissatisfying. 

Edited by GOAT

I enjoyed Sonic Heroes and even Sonic 06's multiplayer then Sonic Adventure 2: Battle's.

Maybe it's the nostalgia and the variety of modes but I enjoyed the multiplayer of Sonic Heroes more.

In terms of 06, I know what you're thinking: "Is Failinhearts even more out of his mind than usual?" Hear me out. When I play multiplayer with my sisters, I don't exactly play by the rules. Me and my sisters enjoy playing in the stages like it's a sandbox game. Same goes for Heroes at times.

I play SA2 properly, and it's still very fun. I just had fonder memories and more fun with Heroes and even 06.

The conversation I had a few minutes ago made me recall a more obscure unpopular opinion. 

Unlike most, I don't think Shadow was on the ARK that long before the GUN raid, at least not enough to be able to feasibly carry out the scientific work Gerald had created him for (It can take years for medical breakthroughs to happen even if you know exactly what your aim is and how to go about it, especially with a disease so rare/debilitating). Nothing about the sequence of SA2 suggested that Shadow's existence had been for that long comparatively, and it makes sense to him to have only been there months, perhaps. If you're wondering how Shadow could have come to see Gerald and Maria as family figures in such a short span of time, here's some reading material on imprinting.

The imprinting thing seems to be a common theme actually. It's a pretty viable explanation why Tails sees Sonic as his older brother in a lot of continuities. Not to mention The Chao obviously do some form of imprinting.

I really don't think the chao garden should come back. Then again, I almost never raised chao myself as a kid because I always found them a bit boring.

• 3 weeks later...

Two main ones for me I guess:

- I disagree that Sonic '06 is bad (I think it's buggy but not bad)

- I disagree that the boost mechanic is good, overall. It's fun sometimes but I also think it can spoil the atmosphere and beauty of stages >.<

There are probably more but those are the biggest!

I will admit despite the unimpressive engine and physics some of '06's levels were kinda fun. Wave Ocean was basically a more developed Emerald Coast (especially in it's character variations, if only Gamma's EC was as intricate and finished as Blaze's WO). If only most of the main character levels didn't force you to switch between 'amigos' constantly, most of them even clunkier than Sonic. That was definitely a point the extra characters complaint had solid reasoning.

Not really sure how popular, or unpopular these opinions are, but:

I don't have a problem with most of SEGA's mandates for the comics.

Really, the only two I do have a problem with, are the ones that say that they can't show a younger, or older version of the characters, and that they can't name the planet. All of the others, I'm totally fine with.

I think we should see Sonic games where Sonic interacts with characters other than just Tails. I mean, when was the last time we saw a Sonic game, that had Sonic interact with Knuckles and Amy, and it lasted more than two minutes? 

I would really love to see characters like The Chaotix, Rouge, and Blaze get used again.

Edited by D.H
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mean, when was the last time we saw a Sonic game, that had Sonic interact with Knuckles and Amy, and it lasted more than two minutes? 

In risk of sounding of a wise guy but I'm guessing that Rise of Lyric or Shattered Crystal isn't part of this. Also in Runners' "story", Sonic does interact with Knux a lot just as much as he does with Tails.

But for my latest opinion, pretty sure this can be placed as both popular and unpopular really hard to tell with this game.

Unleashed HD is an amazing game and is the far better game out of the Boost Trilogy.

When I mean by better, I mean in overall presentation and scale. I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong with that statement, while Colors and Gens were fairly well-made games and deserved their praise but I really had the most fun with Unleashed even if it also hosted the most frustrating moments as well. I really can't help but love the game so much, I really did enjoyed my playthrough of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

In risk of sounding of a wise guy but I'm guessing that Rise of Lyric or Shattered Crystal isn't part of this. Also in Runners' "story", Sonic does interact with Knux a lot just as much as he does with Tails.

I know Runners has Sonic interacting with more characters than Tails, but I was mainly referring to the home console Sonic games.

You know, if people are asked what is Sonic's most iconic move, they'd say the "Spin Dash."

I dunno if it's because I started with Sonic Heroes or something, but the first thing I think of in terms of Sonic's iconic moves is the Homing Attack.

Another unpopular opinion, considering how liked she is on here: I can't say that Blaze is my favorite female Sonic character.

Don't get me wrong, I like Blaze and I think she's cool, but I just like Amy & Rouge more.

Also, I never got why some people got excited when they heard about Perci being in Sonic Boom.

I mean, I just don't see anything special about her. IMO, she doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table in Boom.

Lastly, I think Boom!Tails is the best version of Tails.

I wouldn't mind paying a fee for Sonic Runners if it meant those advertisements would go away.

I really hope you can just eventually buy all the characters. The roulette's are terrible.

That said I do really enjoy the game. I did think it was better before it released world wide though, probably just because there were no ads then.

My unpopular opinion is that Sonic Adventure 1 is pretty dreadful and started the downfall of the series. Well, that''s unpopular with the fanbase anyway.

It would be unpopular because it isn't true. Especially given the glowing reception it and its sequel had at the time.

There's a reason people point to ShTH and Sonic 06 as Sonic's downfall.